• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions Beta 2017 "true competitive multiplayer game" [Update: Trailer]

Moff

I really like how this looks.
I'm in whatever it will be, classic death match, hero shooter, whatever

I wonder where Quake Champs leaves Quake Live. The latter is the go-to arena FPS for e-sports -- granted, the genre isn't as popular as it was back in the heyday of Q3/UT -- but the game is on life support at this point, so either Bethesda will pull the plug and leave a void that an indie title will fill (allow me to cheat and say this includes UT4) or it has something in the works that will, at least in part, serve as a replacement, which Quake Champs seemingly is not.

Considering they are plastering "esports" everywhere and they've already said it will include a duel mode, I don't see why it wouldn't be a replacement.

Quake Live won't get any more support except fixes for ver big bugs if they are discovered. The game is done at this point and it only needs the master server running, same as every previous Quake.

There's also Diabotical for that. It will be interesting to see which one, if any, captures a big audience.

NIN90

I dunno looks more like a UT game to be honest?

Those look like bhops at 00:57 to me which got me at least somewhat hopeful.

Also they really like their rocket jumps in this trailer when it's one of the lamest movement tech in these games (at least the purely vertical way they are doing it here).

ps3ud0

Need to see decent players playing this

Also they really like their rocket jumps in this trailer when it's one of the lamest movement tech in these games (at least the purely vertical way they are doing it here).
Glad you said that - was wondering why they were rjing as they were - looked so noobish...

Seems weird to even have weapon models on screen for me too :p

ps3ud0 8)

It does look a bit like UT without a translocator. Funny that they still have rocket jumps. It's such a gameplay convention that why not just make a boosted jump button at this point? Game looks promising though. Damage effects look substantial without overdoing it.

Speaking of UT, did that UT reboot ever get finished? It felt too on the side of 2003 instead of UT99 for my taste, but wouldn't mind playing it once in a while.

mkenyon

Banned

It's no CPMA, but I'll take what I can get. And by that, I mean a populated game with people other than Quake Autists that I am nothing more than a fly to.

NIN90

It's no CPMA, but I'll take what I can get. And by that, I mean a populated game with people other than Quake Autists that I am nothing more than a fly to.

Diabotical, bro. They fact that it got actually funded within days makes me hopeful that it wont be dead like Reflex.

Accoun

I wonder where Quake Champs leaves Quake Live. The latter is the go-to arena FPS for e-sports -- granted, the genre isn't as popular as it was back in the heyday of Q3/UT -- but the game is on life support at this point, so either Bethesda will pull the plug and leave a void that an indie title will fill (allow me to cheat and say this includes UT4) or it has something in the works that will, at least in part, serve as a replacement, which Quake Champs seemingly is not.
It's interesting. Reflex seems to be the nearest thing. But it's CPMA, which some people don't like.

But then again, what would they choose between UT, Quake Hero Shooter and neo-CPMA?
I mean, pros would probably go to the two former, since they have backing of a company that can afford decent prize money - if they are willing to commit (I'm not exactly sure about Epic, considering how big is the team versus the Paragon one).
Of course, there's also 2GD's new game.

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
I just finished a UT4 session, and I can see that for now, graphically speaking, UT is better.

A bit afraid on some gameplay parts, but globally it looks cool. ...It's just that I still can't digest the fact that this game is a Hero shooter.

KingKong

A population, likely.

Quake Live still has a decent amount of players. I really doubt Diabolical would have much more than that because its audience basically overlaps with it. Look at Reflex, it's basically as close to CPMA as you can make a game and it's got an average of 15 players on at any time

Levito

Banned
Bit worried about the 'heroes' aspect of this game but the trailer looked really cool, hope it works out. We need a new arena shooter.

mkenyon

Banned
Quake Live still has a decent amount of players. I really doubt Diabolical would have much more than that because its audience basically overlaps with it. Look at Reflex, it's basically as close to CPMA as you can make a game and it's got an average of 15 players on at any time
You might be right, but hype can do a lot to a game. Might get the players too intimidated by CPMA/Reflex to hop in, or just people who haven't played in awhile to start again.

Gamers like new stuff.

KingKong

You might be right, but hype can do a lot to a game. Might get the players too intimidated by CPMA/Reflex to hop in, or just people who haven't played in awhile to start again.

Gamers like new stuff.

I agree, but I feel like you're making a case for this new Quake game more than an enthusiast kickstarter project.

I guess we'll see, but I'm pretty sure id/Bethesda are going to put a big focus and money on esports (because esports are hot right now) which will draw the old and newer Quake pros to it and away from Reflex/Diabolical/UT/whatever

Adnor

Banned
Watching more of the QLive tournament I think that EricGRIT09 is right and the movement look slow because of the low FOV.

tesqui

So I assume there's no singleplayer campaign for this? I know that isn't what quake fans care about, but I have fond memories of Q1 and Q2 singleplayer. I'm that weird guy who never played the multi and remember those games for their campaigns haha.

So I assume there's no singleplayer campaign for this? I know that isn't what quake fans care about, but I have fond memories of Q1 and Q2 singleplayer. I'm that weird guy who never played the multi and remember those games for their campaigns haha.

If it has a Q3 style campaign where you just fight bots on all the maps, eventually getting to a duel with a "boss", then I think that would be sufficient.

Otherwise, there's no confirmation of a SP campaign or if there will be bots. I imagine there will be bots for practice at the very least.

Probably a safe assumption. On the one hand, considering how good the Doom campaign was, a Quake reboot sans campaign is a pity. On the other hand, I suspect this is going to be a fairly cheap game ($20 or less at launch).

thelastword

Banned
Wait what?

I thought they said its definitely NOT coming to consoles because they don't want any compromises.
I think it's the best approach for now, make the PC version without any compromises and then port it to consoles and focus only on that later on. Traditionally, quake ports to consoles are very good. The Quake 3 ports to Dreamcast and PS2 were both excellent, so fear not.

tesqui

If it has a Q3 style campaign where you just fight bots on all the maps, eventually getting to a duel with a "boss", then I think that would be sufficient.

Otherwise, there's no confirmation of a SP campaign or if there will be bots. I imagine there will be bots for practice at the very least.

Yeah, judging by the way this is being marketed, it just seems like a strictly multi game. I'll take anything that resembles a campaign though.

Probably a safe assumption. On the one hand, considering how good the Doom campaign was, a Quake reboot sans campaign is a pity. On the other hand, I suspect this is going to be a fairly cheap game ($20 or less at launch).

That'd be a perfect price for this, but something tells me it'll be more.

RemiLP

Funny that they still have rocket jumps. It's such a gameplay convention that why not just make a boosted jump button at this point?

Well, a good rocket jumps takes alot more skill than just pressing the jump botton twice though. If there is bunny jumping aswell here, the movement is a huge part of getting good at the game.

"Funny that they still have rocket jumps. It's such a gameplay convention that why not just make a boosted jump button at this point?"

There's more you can do with the velocity rocket jumping gives you than go straight up. You have more control of the vector it propels you with rocket jumping than with some precanned double jump/boost jump.

For Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVVVvVCD5Fo

i hate hearing "generic" when talking about games that basically define a genre

if it wasn't generic, it would be a problem

Hellgardia

While the weapon design could be improved a bit, the sound and movement seem to be on the right track! Really liked what i saw there

Top Bottom