• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quest for the Holy Relics: A NeoGAF DnD Play by Post Campaign

Mike M

Nick N
Val is heartened as Tarkus’s hacking sunders what passes for the Eldrazi’s flesh, splattering the three men up front with fluid, perhaps analogous for blood. The sword blade does not rebound off the otherworldly skin, nor do the wounds knit themselves shut as soon as they are inflicted as Val had expected.

“My gods, it’s working,” Val says as he joins Tarkus in carving a piece out of the fallen Eldrazi. “We can do this. We can win.”

Jack likewise joins in the assault, wielding the longsword with all the expertise of a practiced swordmaster despite having never held this particular variety of weapon. “By my calculations, at our current rate of destruction, we will destroy the Eldrazi in approximately 16 months.”

“Well, let us hope it expires well before then.”

Code:
Jack Full Round Attack:
Attack 1:  1d20+22=35
Damage:  1d8+12=15

Attack 2:  1d20+17=28
Damage:  1d8+12=13

Haste Attack:  1d20+22=40
Damage:  1d8+12=18

Code:
Val Full Round Attack:
Attack 1:  1d20+29=39
Damage:  1d6+ 20=26

Attack 2:  1d20+24=40
Damage:  1d6+20=26

Attack 3:  1d20+19=25
Damage:  1d6+20=21

Haste Attack:  1d20+29=48
Confirming Critical ((FFS..)):  1d20+29=48
Damage:  1d6+20=26
Critical damage:  1d6+20=21+3 STR damage

((WHAT’S WITH THE CRITICALS? Not that I’m complaining, but damn am I feeling the dice guilt. Um… guess there’s nothing to declare Val’s dodge bonus on, is there?))

Muun watches Tarkus slice the creature before making a move of his own. He concludes, aloud with instruction to his teammates, "If it bleeds, we can kill it."

((Let's see... My attack roll should be now BAB + Dex + Weapon Bonuses and I no longer have a -2 penalty from Reconciliation. +1 from Haste.. Do I still have +2 from Heroism?))

Attack rolls (1d20+25=32, 1d20+25=31, 1d20+25=36, 1d20+20=35, 1d20+15=32)
Damage Rolls (1d10+3+4=17, 1d10+3+4=10, 1d10+3+4=15, 1d10+3+4=16, 1d10+3+4=13)
Fire Damage (1d6=4, 1d6=6, 1d6=2, 1d6=2, 1d6=5)

The party tears into the remaining piece of Emrakul against the backdrop of a blasted, twisted landscape that defies the laws of physics. Though the process is relatively slow, considering the size of the creature, they are heartened to find that progress is being made, and that this thing, whatever it is, CAN be harmed. Tarkus manages to lop off one of its tentacles in only a few hacks, and although the creature does seem to have some kind of automatic healing process, it's much slower than the rate of damage output that everyone is putting on it.

Then. Emrakul strikes back. Though physically, the creature doesn't lift a finger, suddenly each party member feels its presence in their minds intensify. If it had previously felt like a hand being gently rested on top of the brain, now suddenly a fist has clenched around it.

It feels like something is being torn out of your past. There used to be something there - probably something very important, even - but whatever it was is gone now, wiped from your memory. Or has the creature reached backwards in time and actually changed the past? It seems like something that this thing would be capable of, but there's no way to know which is the truth of it.

Thinking back to his days as an orphan, growing up alone on the streets of Ruby Keep, Val mentally reviews his life, looking for holes and missing pieces. Nothing is immediately obvious; there are no nonsensical leaps in logic that stand out to him. Never having a family to call his own, he was forced to teach himself all he knows about swindling and street-hustling. From there, he traveled to Alydar, and...

Wait, why did he go to Alydar? He'd been doing well for himself in Ruby Keep by adulthood. What had happened....? He wracks his brain trying to figure it out, coming up short even as he relentlessly stabs this otherworldly blight that just stole a memory from him.

For Tarkus, it's probably obvious what went missing. He has no memory of his early life; the earliest thing he can recall is coming ashore on the northern edge of the continent, and soon after, finding work at the Tarley Family Farm. Suddenly everything that came before that is a mystery. This doesn't stop him from laying into Emrakul.

Muun, likewise, realizes that a significant chunk of his life is suddenly gone. Everything before these past two months is completely blank for him. How did he come to travel with these men? Where is he from originally? Why does he have this strange tattoo on the back of his hand? How is it that he knows so well how to fight? The cognitive dissonance is disturbing, but does not impede the task at hand.

Quintus can't for the life of him figure out what's missing, only that something probably is. Granted, he didn't have an entirely perfect life, having grown up in an empty mansion full of servants and no parents to call his own, but he still had it better than most other people in the world. Whoever his parents had been, had left him with a sizable fortune that he'd been able to use to attend Emerald Bay Academy, and.... Hey, maybe that was it. Maybe he'd forgotten his parents? He supposes that must be it, because a man can't exist without having been born by somebody... can he?

Jack abruptly straightens up and stops moving. "WARNING," he says in an uncharacteristically loud, monotone voice, "MEMORY BANKS HAVE BEEN IRREPARABLY COMPROMISED. ALL EXTERNAL FUNCTIONS WILL SHUT DOWN AND SELF-DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES WILL BEGIN IMMEDIATELY."

((Begin Round 2. Jack is now out of it.))

A sudden light-headedness overcomes Muun.. He feels like a heavy burden has been lifted from his mind, like most of the memories he is missing were ones he never wanted to begin with. He continues firing, at least knowing that he has to destroy this creature in front of him.. doesn't he?

Attack Rolls (1d20+25=30, 1d20+25=42, 1d20+25=39, 1d20+20=31, 1d20+15=23) ((Add +2 for Heroic effect))
Weapon Damage (1d10+3+4=17, 1d10+3+4=9, 1d10+3+4=14, 1d10+3+4=16, 1d10+3+4=14)
Fire Damage (1d6=2, 1d6=1, 1d6=2, 1d6=4, 1d6=2)

After working to pierce the fiend's exterior some more, he looks over to the tin man and blinks, "Memory.. banks? What's going on?" He seems genuinely confused.

Mike M

Nick N
Val shakes his head and tries to dispel the sense of... wrongness. All his memories seem to be accounted for, but there are, what, plot holes in the accounting of his life? How does that make any sense? He is a person, not some character in copper-piece pulp fiction novel lacking editorial oversight!

Jack's cataclysmic failure and subsequent shut down draw Val's attention back to the present. He doesn't know what has happened, but between his own confusion and Jack's klaxon warning about memory banks, he can hazard a guess.

"It's... Doing something!" Val shouts as he redoubles his efforts to hack away at the mountainous abomination. "Feeding on memories, or maybe history! We have to kill it, before it can take any more from m-- from us!" Val has no idea what he has lost, but the knowledge that he has lost anything at all strikes a chord of profound grief in his soul. As though a vital component that makes Val who he is has been irretrievably lost with no hope of replacement.

Code:
Val Full Round Attack:
Attack 1:  1d20+29=34
Damage:  1d6+ 20=24

Attack 2:  1d20+24=38
Damage:  1d6+20=22

Attack 3:  1d20+19=28

Haste Attack:  1d20+29=37

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsFYXts6EeE

As Tarkus tenses his muscles to strike again, his mind wheels at the loss of his memories. 'Where...where was I from?' The confused shouts of his companions and Jack's catatonic freeze add to the uncertainty in the warrior's heart...but it does not topple his resolve. He shouts to his companions, hacking into their alien tormentor with renewed fury.

"We come too far to be swayed by tricks or illusion!" He grunts, ripping his axe from its wedge inside one of Emrakul's writhing appendages, before attempting to bury it once more in the same wound with a savage heave.

Full Attack vs Emrakul
A1:1d20+31+1 → [16,31,1] = (48)
A2: 1d20+31+1 → [3,31,1,-5] = (30)
A3: 1d20+31+1 → [17,31,1,-10] = (39)
Haste: 1d20+31+1 → [8,31,1] = (40)

Damage
1d12+20 → [9,20] = (29)
1d12+20 → [8,20] = (28)
1d12+20 → [6,20] = (26)
1d12+20 → [12,20] = (32)
=115

The mage pulls out a rod from his backpack and says "I don't know what he hopes to accomplish by messing with our heads like this, but I'd rather not find out, so lets see if we can speed this up a little." he then points a finger at the... creature and a thin, green ray fires out of it.

Disintegrate: (1d20+16=33)
Damage With Rod of Maximize Spell: 216
If he makes the fort save of DC 24: 30

((Yes, mostly because I maximized it. Disintegrate does about(or, can do) twice the damage of most direct damage spells of its level, but it comes at a great cost. And on most other spells a successful save(half damage) would mean i only do about 18-21 more damage(if maximized), so compared to other spells... its not even that big a loss.))

((Emrakul neglects to even try to save against Disintegrate, and it does full damage))

Who are these other men with you? As you look around, you could swear that you've never seen their faces before, and yet here they are, fighting alongside you somehow. Now that you think about it, these last few months have been kind of a hazy fog.

You know who you are, and you know that you're trying to save the world somehow, and you know that this giant, ugly mass of red and purple flesh in front of you is the enemy, but beyond that, the finer details escape you.

It looks like you and these other guys have been working pretty hard at hurting this thing, but it's just humongous, and relatively speaking, the damage you've inflicted might not even be that big of a deal to it. Still, you're trying to save the world and all, so you might as well keep going...

((Begin Round 3))

Disintegrate: (1d20+16=28)
Damage With Rod of Maximize Spell: 216
If he makes the fort save of DC 24: 30

Quintus plays a repeat performance and wonders who these people are, but they appear to be helping him and that is whats most important... he thinks "Hey, can you guys hit that thing harder? It's starting to creep me out. I'm trying to save the world here!"

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
((If it attacks our memories...maybe we can attack it by thought? Worst time ever to lose our psion.))

((Never did beat earthbound... I'm tempted to try and baleful poly morph this guy, but i'm not sure about that... On one hand he seems to be ignore making fort saves anyways. on the other hand i imagine this is the kinda thing that is immune to polymorph spells))

((Earthbound spoilers:
Apparently you have to use the pray command to win the game, but this is only based on what I heard, I myself haven't beaten EB.
))

((I don't know what action I want to take but I want to RP this))

The youngest of the group starts to lag in his bow string pulling... Such a hesitation that it even halts the thrill and exhilaration of becoming lightning fast under a magic spell. All he can do now is breathe heavily..

All that is in his mind now is.. nothing. All he knows is that he's someone named Muun, and that he is trying to save the world.. but he stops.. because he apparently doesn't seem to desire such a thing.. all he wants back are his memories. All he wants back are the reasons he's doing what he's doing.

The boy begins to break down, beginning to sob painfully under the immense pressure he's put under. Unlike everyone else, Muun has lived a shorter life than he has, and doesn't even remember the first half of his life to begin with; now any memory of being a strong adult and any sense of accomplishment has been taken away from him. Any happiness and companionship that he's found through Ith, Celia, Lucille, and even the rest of the gang has been taken from him. All that's left is a child, crying because he is lost and confused, and feels helpless.

The wizard's Disintegrate spell tears into the strange creature before the group at full blast, cauterizing wounds that would otherwise spew otherworldly ichor. The archer is unable to bear his sudden lack of purpose and has an existential breakdown.

It seems like now it's up to the wizard, the orc, and the man with the rapier...

Mike M

Nick N
((Crap, my wanting to roleplay might have screwed us if DPS is necessary.))
((I think Jackben's right and this is a dialog fight))

Val hacks away at the mountain of flesh with single-minded determination, alongside a half-orc stranger and an odd metal sculpture of a knight. A helpful wizard stands behind them, disintegrating chunks of biomass at a time. He's not quite sure how he got here or what he was doing beforehand, but he knows it's important. That this thing must be stopped, that they are the only ones who can.

It would take an army, he realizes. Val's face screws up in confusion as he struggles to cling to a memory of a memory that flits through his mind. He was part of an army once, wasn't he? No, that's not right, he was part of a team. A team stretching back generations, all their previous numbers somehow gathered under one banner somewhere far away. Val had gone some place far away too, hadn't he? He struggles to recall. Hadn't there been a meeting with some kind of general? A leader or commander of some sort? Val is the agent of someone formidable, but somehow he's forgotten who.

It's so hard to remember. Hard to think. There's not enough room in his head, like his mind is being wrung of his thoughts.

Like there's someone in his head...

Val pauses as he screws his eyes shut and marshals as much mental fortitude as he can muster. GET. OUT. OF. MY. HEAD!

Val tries to remember.

He needs to remember.

((No idea what would be an appropriate roll))

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
((Might as well go all in on the creative ideas. Though I can't credit Tarkus with suspecting brute force won't work like I do in real life, he would be fairly upset by what's happening, enough to try something different...))

As a blast of green energy explodes overhead, the half orc covers his face. Splattered by alien guts and blood, he watches the dark slime slide down his body. This stuff is everywhere, all over his armor, his axe and his exposed skin. It feels like it's even inside his mind. Whose mind it is a struggle to identify.

"Tark...us."

Looking around he sees other people, perhaps warriors like him.They must be fighting to save the world from this monster. But how did this happen? He is not sure, but it makes him angry. Just as he is about to raise his axe, the sobs of the silver haired archer throw him off guard.

Incensed by his fear and an emotional core he cannot remember, he roars a challenge as loud as he can, screaming until his lungs feel themselves torn raw.

"Show me your strength MONSTER! Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!"

((Will Save DC26 not to attack Tarkus))

EDIT: ((Aw shit. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea considering how we're slowly forgetting who each of us are))

The half-orc's shouts of defiance fall on deaf ears, if this creature has any ears at all; the man with the rapier's internal efforts to overcome the rapid deterioration of his memories is futile.

As soon as the single-minded focus on destroying this creature is abandoned, all is lost. Each party member's memories begin to fade ever faster.

First, they forget their training. Pointy metal sticks, wooden shafts with a heavy blade at the end, and curved pieces of wood tied to a string all seem like foreign objects; the man with red hair has no idea what he's supposed to be doing.

The man with the pointy metal stick begins to have issues remember what his real name is. Is it Kaff? Julius? Valgar? Gryst? It's hard to say.

Before long, even that ceases to matter. The party begins to forget the very essence of who they are. The young man with silver hair doesn't even remember why he's crying, so he simply stops and stands up. Soon, they drop their possessions and become slack-jawed and glassy-eyed.

They are blank slates.

(dramatic pause)

A bright light appears overhead.

((Only relevant for about 2 minutes after the starting point))

The light breaks through the clouds, and is a warm whitish-yellow. Rather than emitting from any particular source, it almost looks like a cloud, and even to the braindead party members, it's quite pretty.

The mass of flesh doesn't seem to react at all to the light, and indeed the light seems to be ignoring the creature entirely. Instead it descends upon the party and infuses them with... something.

A rush of memories.
A name.
A sense of purpose.
Why you fight.
Those you fight for.
Those you've lost.

In a flash, it all returns to you. Valgar Fierno, of the storied Fierno clan, and unofficial rulers of the streets of Ruby Keep. Tarkus Rook, the Hero of Alydar, who freed himself from slavery and became the mightiest half-orc the world has ever known. Muun Rineheart, slayer of vampires and the chosen one of the late Ehlonna, goddess of nature. Quintus Mallory, graduate of the Emerald Bay Academy and the only remaining original member of the Wormwood Initiates.

Their memories restored, the party looks around in confusion at the white light as it begins to shrink and coalesce into a humanoid form.

Before them stands Sarm Santee.

Dressed in simple clerics' vestments, he smiles and looks at each party member in turn. "Val. Tarkus. Quintus. Muun. Oh, and I don't know you, but it is good to meet you. I'm Sarm."

Jack, who seems to have regained consciousness, tilts his head toward the cleric. "My official designation is AR-7743562, but I am more commonly known as Jack Slate. The pleasure is all mine."

Sarm looks a little confused, but brushes it off. "So, shall we finish this?

"I've brought reinforcements."

As though on cue, there is another bright flash of light, and behind the party appears a veritable army.

Val immediately picks out his brothers and sister, with Stanley the Rhinoceros standing close by. "Dear brother, we heard you were in need of assistance," says Valance.

"Aye. Couldn't let you have all the fun!" Valdemar chirps.

"Right," says Valerie, from her wheelchair. "And we brought help." She gestures to the entirety of the Alydar City Guard, all standing in formation and ready for battle.

Tarkus spots Martok, Barog, and a large squadron of orcs and half-orcs; among them stands the female warrior who helped the party fight off the zombies in the Arena at Emerald Bay.

Martok raises his spear, side by side with Barog, and looks to Tarkus. "Lok'Thar, Brother!" he shouts, "We are yours to command!"

Barog lets out a guttural shout. "WE SHALL FIGHT BY YOUR SIDE TO THE GATES OF THE UNDERWORLD!"

The orcs behind him shout a ferocious battlecry that gives Tarkus goosebumps.

Near Muun and Sarm, Ith, Suvne, Amriel, the lady fire elemental, and the two Devas from the temple in Sigil appear.... along with Headmistress Luna and the entire faculty and student body from the Seminary of Pelor.

"Muun," says Ith, "It's good to see you! And can I say how wonderful it is to be able to leave Ravenloft, now that Vecna is dead! Let's finish this quickly, shall we? There's much for us to discuss!"

"Lord Sarm," says Amriel, "Pelor may be gone, but his spirit lives on in you. We pledge you our swords and our lives, and will consider it an honor to fight alongside you!"

"We, too, are here to lend you our strength," says Luna. "Though our powers may be diminished, our faith has not!"

Quintus is approached by the real Bones and Ivor, and they are accompanied by Lysa, Arianna, Leeta, Davos, Kempok, and the entire Klaus's Ranging Company.

"Long time no see," Bones says to the wizard. "When this is done, I've got an itch I need you to take a look at."

"Aye! It has been quite some time since we all fought together, hasn't it?" says Ivor. "Better make it count!"

"Mark my words," says Davos as he cracks his knuckles, "If this ruddy pile of meat thinks it's gonna destroy MY world and get away with it, it must be off its bloody rocker!"

"If you come out of this alive," Lysa says to Quintus, "Prepare for the week of your life. I've got a few friends I'd like you to meet."

With the introduction of all these people, Emrakul begins to actually react. The tentacles that are reaching up through the ground all become active and hostile, and a lot more mobile. The body of the creature itself begins to morph and reshape itself, and forms four vaguely head-shaped appendages, each of which has command of a large number of tentacles and other shapeshifting things.

It seems like it means business now.

((And here we have the Grand Finale. Tell the story of how you and your team (your "team" being the ones that you noticed in the previous scene) defeat one of the four heads. Feel free to switch perspectives between the members of your team, and play it however you want. If you want your character to go out with a heroic sacrifice, now is the time to make that happen.

You have free reign here. You can do pretty much whatever you want. KittenMaster, you have the unique opportunity to play as BOTH of your characters, so make it count!

Note that this is NOT your epilogue. That's separate. This is only your telling of the final battle.

Go nuts, and have fun!))

((You mind if I split up my posts and do fighting stuff tomorrow? I'm about to pass out but I want to do some emotional stuff while I"m still on that high.))

It has seemed like quite sometime since Sarm saw his home plane, but his eventual return to the world which he came from only leaves an inner agony seeing what Emrakul and the other Eldrazi have done to its appearance.. what was done to his god, the being he had lived to die for only to have outlived.

His old friends, those that have still kept together and continued fighting, and the boy which he had sent with them at his request come into view. His brow tenses at their condition, but it is nothing Pelor's light within him cannot overcome. He carries a voice into their emptiness, reminding them who they are, waking them back into the life he knows they have:

"Muun Reinhart, warrior against evil and friend of Ith, pick up your bow once more."
"Valgar of the fabled Fierno clan, continue to cherish your family name."
"Quintis Mallory, let the knowledge and power you lived to accumulate not go to waste."
"And Tarkus Rook, show me that not even a creature that has killed the gods can defeat you in battle!"

He is then able to show himself to them once more, with a genuine smile on his face in anticipation of greeting each one. However, one man among them in particular is one he has never seen, and his speech eludes even someone that has experienced the advanced nature of Sigil. Taken aback by both the foreign complexity and the strange construct-like build of the man, Sarm can only clear his throat and try to pretend he is not overwhelmed by this Jack Slade, "I would have wished to meet on better terms, Jack Slate, but I am satisfied knowing that my friends have had another at their side."

"Val, you are in good spirits, I hope. I always worry what trouble you may have found yourself in."

"Quintis, I hope that now that the Hand of Vecna and Vecna is powerless, that it will be easy to set our differences aside and become good friends."

"Tarkus, it is good to see you once more. Just being near you brings much courage."

"And young Muun. I do not know you, but I do sense much despair in you." Undoubtedly, Sarm has always been good at judging character and what troubles people, "Always remember that there is always hope, and always a light to be found in darkness." And on that note, he steps aside to allow an old friend to enter Muun's life once more.

It is Ith, grateful to have finally stepped out of the dark plane to meet with the ranger once more. Muun can almost begin to cry again; after watching lovers' lives drift away from him, Celia disappearing with the death of the goddess, and his memories being torn from him, he feels practically saved from becoming completely abandoned by the fates with an old friend returning to help make life worth living again. Muun moves closer, almost wanting to hug Ith as he struggles to break out words, breaking out both a confession and an apology, "I-I'm sorry for leaving you in Ravenloft... I wanted any reason to escape.. but I never realized how much of a friend you were until it was too late. So much has indeed happened." Indeed, it will be an incredible evening catching Ith up on just what happened during his death.

Finally, Sarm's tone lowers momentarily as he queries, "And Evaneth.. was he found?" But before everyone can answer, he can judge by their expressions and the pauses that it was not a desirable outcome, "I see..."

Sarm then turns around at the entrance of the many allies willing to join the fight. In response to the servitude offered by Amirel and the other angelic beings that he had met in Sigil, Sarm says, "Pelor had sacrificed himself in battle today in order to save us all. He has set a final example of us to follow. I wish to fight with you as equals. My only order is that we do what he would have done." He brings out Yasir in preparation, "Let us finish this."

((Very cool, KM. And yeah, you're not limited to just one post or anything. Just keep riffing off of each other as long as you like. When all four heads are killed, I'll write a conclusion to set us up for individual epilogues. Take your time))

Edit:

((Oh man, so not prepared for this...))

Good, that means I've done my job :)

Mike M

Nick N
Good, that means I've done my job :)

((Mike casts Wall of Text!))

((Track 1))
When Valgar had wished for an army, he hadn't dreamed that his prayers would be answered in such a literal fashion. "Can't stand to let me hog all the glory, can you?" he asks of his siblings with a broad grin as they gather on the small hill overlooking the extradimensional horror. "It's just as well I suppose, I’m not half as good on my own as I am with the lot of you.”

Purpose and memory restored to him once more, Valgar turns on his heel, making a quick assessment of his available resources. While his analytical mind works to find a way to best exploit any advantage he can find, Jack offers his own assessment of the situation.

“Valgar,” the android advises, “the Eldrazi is assuming a more conventional shape in preparation to defend itself. It appears that it concentrating sensory organs in cephalic appendages. I calculate that these will likely hold the creature’s equivalent of a brain.”

“Kill the heads, kill the beast,” Stanley summarizes.

“Precisely,” confirms Jack.

“Well then, I know just what to do,” Valgar announces. Everyone looks at him expectantly as he gestures to Valerie. “We do whatever Valerie tells us to do.”

“Me?” Valerie squeals. “Why on earth am I in charge?”

“Because you’re the one who spent all her time reading military history when we were younger,” Valance explains, catching on to Valgar’s train of thought just as back in their glory days. “You’re actually in command of a military force. These are your men, not Valgar’s.”

Valerie bites her lip as she surveys the battle ground. Even as she watches, barbed tentacles are sprouting from the ground to form a defensive perimeter around the nearest malformed head. “But we’ve no flaggers. How are we going to coordinate?”

“I believe I may be of assistance,” Jack says as he plucks a quartet of metal buds from the side of his head and distributes them amongst the Fierno siblings. “These devices allow the two-way transmission of audio over a spectrum of the electromagnetic spectrum not in use on this plane of existence. It should allow us to remain in constant contact.”

Valgar examines the small metal bud before inserting it into his ear. “How long have you had this particular gadget?” he asks.

“I have always possessed this capability.”

“And you never thought to tell us?” Valgar exclaims.

Jack stares evenly at Valgar as he replies, “You never asked.”

Valerie ignores Valgar’s gaping expression as she formulates a possible plan of attack. “The first order of business is to get rid of those tentacles,” she decides.

“We could overwhelm them with brute force,” Valance offers. “The loss of life would be… considerable, however.”

“Moreover,” Valgar interjects, “they grow back. Slowly, mind you, but they grow back.”

“I have just the thing,” Valdemar says cheerily as he reaches into his bag and produces a bottle of smoked black glass stoppered with wax.

“Breeching charges?” Valance asks. “Useful for breaking down walls and cracking vaults, but will it be enough to kill that thing?”

“Oh, this is a special batch,” Valdemar explains. “You remember my adjuvant? If you thought its effect on poison was impressive, you should see what it does for explosives.”

“How many of those do you have?” Valerie asks.

“They say a man should have a hobby, and I’ve been busy,” Valdemar says as he overturns his bag. A seemingly impossible number of bottles spill out onto the ground, and Valgar realizes that Valdemar’s bag is a handy haversack much like his own. There is no telling how many of those explosive jars Valdemar had on hand.

Valerie steeples her fingers and nods, a strategy forming in her mind. “All right then. We will split the City Guard into three divisions. Valdemar, you will take a quarter of the swordsmen and distribute your explosives amongst them. You will be tasked with bringing down the tentacles. Valance, you will take half of the swordsmen and suppress their regrowth. Valgar, that leaves you with the remaining quarter of the swordsmen and the archers. You will lead the assault on the head once Valdemar clears a path.”

“Archers?” Valgar blanches. “Why stick me with the archers? I have terrible aim.”

“You’re not the one shooting the arrows, you fool,” Stanley sighs, “you’re just telling them when to shoot.”

“Oh. Well… I suppose that makes sense,” Valgar begrudgingly concedes.

“Stanley and Jack, you are rear guard,” Valerie continues. “I’m in no shape to fight those things off on my own, it will be up to you to watch out for any tentacle growths that slip past our lines. For now, we consider this position our command post. Everyone move out!”

---

((Track 2))
While not as well trained or experienced as a formal military, the Alydar City Guard are at least competent enough to understand and respond to Valerie’s plan. If they have any reservations about following the orders of the Fierno brothers, they are professional enough to not show it.

Valdemar’s contingent of grenadiers goes first, lobbing their glass bottles of explosive fluid at the bases of the writhing tentacles. True to Valdemar’s promises, they yield far more punch than Valgar remembered them possessing, tearing huge chunks out of malevolent offshoots and felling them entirely in short order. The guards dance outside the barbed reach of the unnatural appendages as best they can, but some are invariably lost in the assault. The momentum of battle is on the side of the humans, however, and in short order they clear the nearest batch of tentacles. Valance bellows the order to advance, and the swordsmen move forward to hack away at the nascent regrowth before the tentacles can regain their lethal potency.

Emboldened by the success of the strategy, Valdemar’s division continues to the next round. From Valgar’s position in the rear, however, it appears that the tentacles have adopted a different pattern to their movement. Instead of blindly groping around, they whip around purposefully as though building momentum. He is just about to relay this observation over Jack’s communication link when the tentacles swing violently, releasing a volley of their spikes and spines in a lethal hail.

“Warning,” Jack’s voice comes over the earpiece in the commanding brothers’ ears, “the tentacles are adapting to our method of assault.”

“Shields up!” Valdemar roars over the battle. “Phalanx formation!” With disciplined efficiency, the grenadiers close rank to form a many-legged turtle, the guards on the perimeter shielding those on the interior, those on the interior holding their shields above their heads. The projectile spikes ricochet harmlessly off the impenetrable steel surface as the guards approach, exploding bottles lobbing from the interior of the group.

The progress is slow and arduous, and more lives are claimed as the tentacles swipe at the formation and wipe out chunks of the group at a time. The guards close ranks to fill the gaps without hesitation as they open, and they press onward, Valance’s troops following behind to keep the tentacles from regrowing. In time, the pathway to the central mass of Emrakul opens for the final assault.

“Now Valgar!” comes Valerie’s voice over the earpiece. Valgar raises his rapier and points it at the Eldrazi, the signal to charge. Emrakul’s immense head stirs, rising above battlefield upon a neck composed of skinless, raw muscle. Its visage is the asymmetrical stuff of nightmares, a cancerous cluster of glowing red eyes on one side of its face, overgrowing its malformed tri-jointed jaw. Blood veins ripple with the pulse of a dark infernal heart hidden from view, the monstrous brain barely contained within a thin membrane of tissue. It bellows in challenge at the swarming mass of humanity that come rushing toward it, its fetid breath threatening to bowl over the men nearest to it.

Valgar drops his arm, and a storm of arrows flies forth into the face of the dread Eldrazi. Explosions from the bottles of Valdemar’s potions tied to the arrows pockmark the monstrous “face,” and Valgar realizes from the perspective that the head is much larger than anticipated, merely further away. “Reload!” he commands. “Take aim!” The damage from the first volley is disappointing, at best. “Fire!”

Another cloud of arrows describe a parabolic arc from the archers to Emrakul’s face, another cloud of explosions ripple across the face, leaving bloody, scorched flesh. Emrakul lets out an inhuman scream, and the titanic head falls to the earth amidst the cheers of the Alydar City Guardsmen. “Now!” Valgar shouts, giving the signal for the remaining swordsmen to charge and finish him off. The guards surge forward, blades at the ready, eager to claim their victory.

Valgar realizes his mistake almost immediately. Emrakul’s head rises from the ground and there is the intake of breath the force of hurricane winds. “Retreat! Fall back!” Valgar shouts, but it is too late. Emrakul exhales a miasma of toxins that spreads at frightening speed, consuming the majority of the city guard in its caustic cloud. The screams as the flesh is dissolved from bones is horrifying, the worst sound Valgar has ever heard, but mercifully brief. The acid vapor dissipates, leaving behind full suits of armor with no sign of their previous occupants. Emrakul’s head screams something that might possibly be some sort of incomprehensible taunt. The remaining guardsmen turn tail and flee, and Valgar cannot blame them.

“We… We’ve failed…” he despairs.

“Valgar,” comes Valance’s voice over the earpiece. “At least… at least we tried.”

“I’d have been happier if we had won,” Valdemar grouses.

((Track 3))
Jack’s voice interrupts the lamentations of the brothers. “Valgar, stand aside. I am inbound to your position.” Valgar looks up and sees… something… barreling down the hill at incredible speed. As it draws near, he can make out the forms of Valerie’s mechanical wheelchair with Jack standing behind it. No, not standing behind it… Jack seems to have wired himself directly to the propulsion system, all of his internal power systems coursing through the chair’s drive train.

Strapped into the seat is Valdemar’s haversack.

“Jack!” Valgar shouts into his earpiece, “What are you doing?”

Jack and his impromptu vehicle rush by in a blur, but Valgar can hear the android just fine over his radio communication link. “We erred in our calculations,” Jack explains calmly as he rockets towards the Eldrazi. “Valdemar’s explosive is potent, but Emrakul’s surface area is too great to effect the desired results. A concentrated application to a less reinforced area is required. I am delivering it.”

Valgar wants to shout at Jack, to tell him what a fool he is to throw his life away like this, but he cannot bring himself to do so. Because he knows that Jack is right. Instead, he can only watch helplessly as the android veritably flies down the malformed gullet of the monster before them. Emrakul’s head rears up high once more as though to swallow Jack and his payload, but stops halfway through the motion. The expression –if it could be called that—on its face is one that might be some warped and twisted version of surprise, right before the Eldrazi’s superfluous head explodes.

Something glowing blue and humanoid arcs across the sky, impacting into the earth amidst the severed tentacles and vacated suits of armor. Heedless of the potential danger to himself, Valgar rushes headlong through the battlefield in the direction of the crash. “Jack!” he screams into his earpiece, “Jack, come in! Come in, damn it!”

There is only static over the communication link, and Valgar throws the useless trinket to the ground as he runs towards the crater caused by whatever flew out of the explosion. There, in the center of the pit is Jack, or what remains of him. As Valgar scrambles down the side of the crater, Jack’s glowing blue arcane armor evaporates. Sadly, it does not seem to have been sufficient to save him for severe damage, with the ataxic flailing of his appendages, his chest more hole than breastplate. “Jack!” Valgar says as he grabs Jack’s shaking hand. “Jack, can you hear me?”

“C-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-catastrophic system fail-l-l-l-l-l-lure,” Jack says, his staccato voice dropping in timber as he speaks.

“Jack, you’ll be all right, won’t you?” Valgar pleads. “Your internal repair systems, they can fix this, can’t they?”

“I-i-i-i-i-i-i-insufficient power level-l-l-l-l-ls to enact aut-t-t-t-t-t-t-orepair sequen-n-n-n-n-nce,” Jack manages to get out, his voice almost obscured by white noise and static.

“So, what? You die now? You just… you just give up? Now that we’ve won? What kind of sense does that make, you illogical idiot!” Valgar shouts. There is something warm and wet flowing down his cheeks.

“Val-l-l-l-l-lgar-r-r-r-r-r,” Jack says, his trembling gaze locking eyes with Valgar. “My t-t-t-t-t-t-ime with y-y-y-y-you has been-n-n-n-n… educational-l-l-l-l-l-l.” Jack’s erratic trembling stops with the sound of metal grinding against metal. His luminous blue eyes flicker momentarily before going dark.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
((Working on some media for the final battle similar to what I did for the battle of Alydar. Plan to finish tonight and then I'll have my write up ready for tomorrow.))

“So, what? You die now? You just… you just give up? Now that we’ve won? What kind of sense does that make, you illogical idiot!” Valgar shouts. There is something warm and wet flowing down his cheeks.

“Val-l-l-l-l-lgar-r-r-r-r-r,” Jack says, his trembling gaze locking eyes with Valgar. “My t-t-t-t-t-t-ime with y-y-y-y-you has been-n-n-n-n… educational-l-l-l-l-l-l.” Jack’s erratic trembling stops with the sound of metal grinding against metal. His luminous blue eyes flicker momentarily before going dark.
Jack has seen things...you people wouldn't believe.

=,(

Mike M

Nick N
((Working on some media for the final battle similar to what I did for the battle of Alydar. Plan to finish tonight and then I'll have my write up ready for tomorrow.))

Jack has seen things...you people wouldn't believe.

=,(

((In retrospect, I'm surprised I didn't just use this exchange in its entirety, certainly would have been fitting.))

((The Fiernos, Stanley, and let's say the quarter of the Alydar City Guard that survived are available for anyone else's use if they want to.))

((Gonna post last so that people can react to Sarm coming back to the show (and stealing the attention away from the superior character that is Muun)))

((Hey KM, I just added a part in that I forgot to include earlier, where Luna and everybody from the Seminary of Pelor also show up. I knew I'd forgotten something. Now you actually have an army to work with, like everyone else does))

"Welcome back Sarm! Good friends? Sure, why not! Though I think you may be overestimating Vecna's influence over me and my actions. That said, I think I got a lot more respect for the gods after their little show here. Now, let us finish the job."

((More FFT music because why not?))

"Hmm..." Quintus, now with his own little army, ponders the situation for a moment, then snaps a finger, establishing a link between the 8 people fortunate enough to have names, "There, telepathic bond so we can easily communicate to each- Whoa! Okay, I had no idea you could even send visual thoughts. Thank you Lysa, but lets save the distractions for later. Anyways... Me, Lysa, and Arianna will take to the air. The two of us will pump out as much arcane damage we can on this asshole as possible," he says as he pulls out his Staff of Evocation and hands it to the sorceress, "Don't say it, don't even think it-And Arianna you focus on keeping everyone alive, everyone else... Take a unit, squad or whatever of Rangers, try to find a gap in its defense and start hitting it with the largest, pointiest objects you can find. If you need help, just call, and one of use will be there to back you up ASAP."

((Switching it up with FF6))

They say 'no plan survives contact with the enemy'. This is not always the case. However, today is one of those days it very much holds true. The wizard's thoughts stray to this subject as his dragon claws rip apart a tentacle he is wrestling, and the tiefling-turned-human riding his back fires seemingly random bolts of lightning out of a staff at anything that isn't now, or once was, humanoid.

Quintus is not the only one to take an alternate form though, as Bones, now a giant and extremely dangerous looking wolf-like creature, leads a group of smaller, but still very dangerous wolves who are clawing away at Emrakul. Ivor, strangely enough finds himself in the air, now a very deadly bird of prey, providing air support with his own flock of Rangers.

With the battle changing constantly, thanks to his allies and enemies, all he wanted was to give a few people a bit more mobility on the battle field, with a little extra fire power. Sure, the spell was extremely experimental, hell he just came up with the idea on the spot, but the theory was all sound. Did he mess up? Perhaps Lysa or Arianna? Did Emrakul mess up the ritual somehow? Perhaps whats left of the now dead gods interacted with it in some way? Sadly, now is not the time to find out, as they are busy with this city size beast. The end result was several people taking on new, though temporary, forms. "Seriously guys, it'll wear off in a little while, trust me on this." he explained. "But until it does, we might as well make the most of it!"

...No plan survives contact with the enemy. This is not always the case. But some plans won't even survive contact with yourself.

((I'll stop here for now. Might add more later if this is still going and I come up with anything else(...don't wait up though)))

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I made sure every main character and named NPC were included and as appropriate as possible. Some are references (Ivor & Jack) others are approximations. The rest is just creative license, thought Emrakul might spawn a few abominations to run interference. Let me know if you want me to point out any particular person.

ypx1smV.png

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
"And Tarkus Rook, show me that not even a creature that has killed the gods can defeat you in battle!"

Memories returned in a warm bath of light, Tarkus ears ring as these righteous words echo in his thoughts. Heeding the call, he kneels to retrieve Perun from the ground. He feels power and a sense of purpose course through his muscles as he stands and holds it before him, his warrior arms complete once more. Flexing his fingers in their grip, he is heartened by the roar of the Orc regiment standing by him. Looking around at those who have gathered here he can hardly believe his eyes.

Quintus' Rangers:

The scholarly young man had spoken of his beginnings on this journey with Sarm in the hire of a small band of mercenaries known as Klaus Ranger's. Faces both old and new gather and prepare for battle with jest and song, some former enemies; others newfound allies. Each gather around Quintus as the archmage prepares a strange ritual...

Valgar & the Fierno Family:

Slipping effortlessly through the crowded formations of the Ruby Keep city guard, each of the Fiernos appear to gather in a semi-circle near Val and Jack. Tarkus has no doubt they have some sort of cunning plan in the works.

Muun & the Celestial Outworlders:

Muun appears in high spirits to greet Ith while Luna & Amriel begin to bless the paladins and winged Pegasi knights, setting armor aglow and weapons aflame with righteous holy fire. Suvne rides through the ranks marshaling the younger paladins to hold steady to hope, more fierce and beautiful than Tarkus ever remembers her. Just when he realizes someone is missing, a bright light shines in his eyes, and blinking, Tarkus recognizes an old friend step into view.

"Tarkus, it is good to see you once more. Just being near you brings much courage."

Resisting the urge to grip Sarm in a bear hug, he settles for a broad smile. "When I heard, I knew that voice. But did not believe it could be." He grasps Sarm's hand in fierce display of friendship. "And being near you bring boundless hope."

Turning his head to look once more at all the courageous, cunning, intelligent, and faithful faces around him he nods. "None greater force have I seen before. There is but only one thing to be done."

'This will be a battle to remember...'

((Gotta sleep now but want to do the battle bit tomorrow))

((Jackben that picture is beyond awesome and I am really geeking out right now. Is there any way that it'd be possible for you do another version where you overlay the names of each character over their sprite? I'm going to keep that picture forever regardless, but it'll mean even more if I don't have to worry about forgetting who's who. If not, that's alright, but it would be pretty swell))

((I like how Jack is the completely out of place Megaman X sprite))

((Since Tarkus is gonna do his battle bit later, I might do Sarm's portion first, and then finish off with Muun's part later))

((EDIT: On second thought Jackben might get the post in first))

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
((Knew I should have saved those layers. Working on a 'legend' overlay now. I have a copy of adobe photoshop somewhere, should probably install that instead of doing everything using pixlr.com and ms paint.))

((One of the pegasi knights could be Suvne, originally imagined her as the mounted paladin in red armor. Doesn't really matter, just wanted the might of Pelor's Sigil guardians represented!))

Mike M

Nick N
((LOL, Tarkus's name is bolded, unlike the rest of us plebes.

That is some epic tier shit though. Man am I going to miss this thread.))

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
((Author's privilege ;) Actually no it was a fuck up I accidentally saved over. There are a lot of goofs the more I look at it. I just had to walk away before I spent more time on it. The write up will have to go for this weekend as I am gonna go crazy if I have to look at my monitor a second longer. Thanks for the kind words fellas.))

Mike M

Nick N
((I was doing a revision pass on the epilogue last night and adding some artwork that was hopefully evocative if not quite matching descriptions (I'm no artist), and I realized that an NPC I don't control in this battle is crucial to the story. Whoopsies. Hopefully nothing happens to them, I'd hate to have to do another major tear down like I did for Get Val, it's just asking for mistakes.))

((I don't plan on killing anybody off (because Jack already relished that tragedy and is the only one that a Cleric can't revive anyway)

I also made a pic of Muun for battle (though his pose is a bit off currently), and I am intending to make another for his Epilogue, anything to draw attention away from Sarm Santee))

((Here is Sarm's part, I'll write Muun's probably tomorrow))

After being staunchly ready to assume war, he is briefly interrupted by a greeting, "I remember you requested some assistance nearly a year ago.. We have decided to comply to your request. I see that even with great power you haven't changed one bit." When Sarm turns around, it is Luna, with her brightest guards standing next to her, and her loyal students and warriors gathered around her. Before Sarm can speak, Ith steps forth and requests with great interest, "My friend, will you please introduce me to this fine lady." He nods and says, "Lady Luna, it is an honor to be in your presence again. This is my friend, Ith, whose people I have served to bring them out of darkness." Ith smiles and bows graciously, "It is a pleasure maddam. I hope after this we can get to know each other proper." Luna nods and bows forward politely towards Ith, but then returns her attention to Sarm, "I have to say, when I gave you the Rod of Pelor, I did have my doubts and many have cast suspicion upon you, but now you have angels and elementals at your beckon, and have become a supreme being, as if a part of Pelor still lives on through you. The Seminary gives you its full trust, and though our powers may have diminished, our faith has not."

Suvne gallops up on her horse, nodding to Luna, "So you are the woman Lord Sarm looks up to. I had always wanted to join your Seminary to learn more about Pelor, but I had found knowledge through Lord Sarm instead." Sarm explains, "This is my loyal accomplace, Lady Suvne. If you don't mind, I would like to give command to your warriors to her. She is a Paladin like your own and thusly has more experience with military strategy than I do. I will direct the casters, we need them to bolster our strength and health in battle." With that he turns towards the monstrous beast, "We must end pleasantries soon. It is time to continue Pelor's destiny."

Before anyone can get up close to fight the Eldrazi in up close combat, Sarm begins the fight with a magic spell, one beyond what he had yet to learn as a human being but can now bring forth with ease: Fire storm. Upon command, balls of fire roar through the grim clouds above, pelting and tearing through the Eldrazi like a hailstorm. Through their break through the dark skies, rays of afternoon light glimmer down in freedom, signalling a potential turn in battle and a hope for the future.

Soon the Eldrazi beast reacts to the pain, thrusting its tentacles upward in attack at the amassing armies. Suvne, with the Seminary's warriors at her command and Sigil's angelic heroes at her side, the warriors of light plow into the massive tentacles, working to strike them down and slowly whittle away the obstacles by slicing them away. As men and women are crushed and grasped by the appendages, comes Sarm and the other healers, to cast spells that heal the allies within their vicinity. From the back ranks, other clerics fire beams of light that sizzle at the tentacles and the Eldrazi.

Top Bottom