• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question to those whose 360 has RROD'd:

Mo0 said:
With one DOA from Microsoft that looks like 13 to me. Break one more and your bad luck will be over for 7 years! :D
No, the one ending in 672 is listed twice because that's the one I transferred my licenses to the first time. So it's 12.

Tom Penny said:
Riiiiight :lol
I posted the lists of all the serials from the License Transfer utility.

Can we get back on topic instead of my crap? I shouldn't have posted as I've taken over the thread. Sorry OP.

Mo0

RavenFox said:
Don't forget your yearly live fee...

I mean seriously? This is what 2009 and 360's are still bricking and you guys run out and buy more because 2 games on 360 are exclusive[yeah I know there are a few more]. Just doesn't make any sense if you guys work for a living.

Not trollin just baffled. Anyway I dont want to derail op.
Well, the ironic thing about 360's breaking as much as they do is that more often than not it's under warranty, and the only thing you lose out on is a week or two of gaming while you wait for it to get returned.

grap3fruitman said:
No, the one ending in 672 is listed twice because that's the one I transferred my licenses to the first time. So it's 12.
Oh, I can't read, sorry. In that case DON'T break one more, you will have terrible luck forever! :(

Your system apparently hates swordfighting games.
vvvv

Twice. On the bright side the system only broke when I was playing Tenchu Z the first time and Orochi Warriors 2 the second time.

Mo0 said:
Your system apparently hates swordfighting games.
^^^^

Probably explains why I got Dynasty Warriors 6 for the PS2 then.

Picked up a launch 360, it RRoD in August 07 (while playing Bioshock for the first time!). They sent me back a new one which was also manufactured in August of 2007. That one just RRoD on me this weekend, and the coffin is in route. I'm a bit surprised that they will be replacing/fixing this one for me for free, as I bought the original console three and a half years ago. But with the shoddy hardware I've gotten from them, I'm not complaining.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong, I'll have to pay $120 to fix the unit. I've just decided to buy a new 360 instead.

Chrange

Banned
RavenFox said:

I mean seriously? This is what 2009 and 360's are still bricking and you guys run out and buy more because 2 games on 360 are exclusive[yeah I know there are a few more]. Just doesn't make any sense if you guys work for a living.

Wow.

Awntawn

just once for me last summer, lasted me a little over a year before it kicked the bucket. this one seems to be okay so far, but i'm starting to get game crashes, hopefully it's not a sign 3;

i definitely wouldn't go buy a new one though, it's really no hassle at all to get it repaired. just call them, they're so used to the process it'll be done easily. all you need is the serial number on the back of the console, don't even need to find a receipt or tell them where you got it or anything like that.

Gbeav

Banned
grap3fruitman said:
Can we get back on topic instead of my crap? I shouldn't have posted as I've taken over the thread. Sorry OP.

You deserve a title though. "Owner of 12 broken 360's". You are much more interesting to talk about than the original topic :D

Threi

notag
Gbeav said:
You deserve a title though. "Owner of 12 broken 360's". You are much more interesting to talk about than the original topic :D
Seriously :lol

I am curious to know what was going through your mind during the 10th replaced 360.

"This one will probably last, I'm sure of it"?

Vyer

When I first got a 360 I worked part time at a games store on the side. This was late in the first year. Since I had that connection, if a 360 broke I would just go in, return and try a new one.

I went through four before finding one that worked. I've had that same one ever since, knock on wood.

Obviously I had a good situation, but I think it's true that since most times you are under warranty the only thing you lose is time. Definitely though, if I had to actually spend more money to buy a new system each time I would have moved on. Not having to spend money is...well, still not having to spend money.

RavenFox said:

:lol Yeah, not trolling at all...

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
I had one go out on me after 9 months. (it did not die from RROD) I got a new one from best buy it has been working fine for 2 years now. it is Facon 360.

Only 1 X360 repair here and it was a DRE issue. Been blessed without any 3RL fails.

One point I want to bring up here given that this is a thread based on multiple repair scenarios and upgrading to a new retail model (i.e. Jasper) instead of playing the refurb game with replacement Xenons is this...

If you decide to go this route (and I can fully understand why), make certain that you WAIT for your repair to complete before using the DRM Tool on Xbox.com to transfer your licenses to the retail unit you elect to exchange it with.

If you make the manual switch to a new Jasper console before your repair completes, then you risk having those licenses moved once more from your new system to the replacement you plan to sell. You'll have already used up your one annual DRM Tool use and there is no escalation path to get your licenses moved back to your new unit without waiting another 12 months.

So be smart about it. Thankfully this doesn't come up often as people will typically wait to get the funds from selling their old system before springing on a new Arcade or something. But that's not always the case and we've had GAF members fall into this trap before.

In short, never use the DRM license transfer tool when you have an exchange or repair ongoing until it's long past being done. Even if the licenses don't transfer over normally following a repair, you're still best served to call in to 1-800-4MYXBOX and have this fixed the right way (unless you're pretty darn certain you won't be buying another X360 via the retail channel).

MechaX

My year old Falcon RROD'd on me recently. When it first did it, I left it untouched for a full day and it played well enough for the next week or so. After that, the system was pretty much screwed. Right now, I'm hoping that it made it to the MS Repair Center. But yeah, even if you have a Falcon and do everything in your power to treat it right, it still might break down.

Might have better luck with the Jaspers, though.

RavenFox

Banned
grap3fruitman said:
I know, it's stupid but I already have so much invested in my 360 like Live, DLC, games and accessories. So I'm kind of stuck. Plus the PS3 has so few features in comparison and the online, while free, sucks.

P.S. To make something plural you add "s," not an apostrophe followed by "s."
wth? I understand your investments and such but PS3 online today does not suck. In fact its on par and exceeds in some areas.

Chrange said:

Wow what? Its true

I don't think mine has RRODed.
I had a launch Elite and the Ethernet port died. The refurb Elite they sent back eventually E74 errored (1 red light).

So basically, no RROD but it's still bad hardware.

Gantz

Banned
I had one RROD after a year. Got a refurbish back from Microsoft then the GPU on that one died a year later. Decided to pick up an elite when Dell had a crazy sale on them. It's been smooth sailing ever since.

itxaka

Defeatist
My friend called me yesterday as my launch 360 that I give to him red-ringed.

I was expecting it though, the bastard keep the console turned like 7 hours a day.

sinseers

I don't know it this is common knowledge or not, but if you are using an old power strip, like I was, the 360 will RROD on you. But here is the kicker.....the system itself was not broken. My power brick bricked.

I you can, do what I did. I took my 360 back to gamestop and asked them to hook it up using a new power brick and guess what? It worked. I ask that every please check their surge protectors and power strips. As far as I have been seen so far if your strip looks like it has any kind of short in it what so ever (Blinking power light etc.) DO NOT PLUG YOUR 360 POWER BRICK INTO IT!!!! It will brick the brick.​

I know it is never going to happen, but I wish Microsoft would send out NEW consoles to people who have had their 360 break within warranty. I treat my consoles like royalty. Why should I get someone else's console that could potentially be treated like shit as a replacement? The last thing Microsoft should be doing is sending out other people's ticking timebombs to replace their shotty machines. But, I guess you really can't prove that a new console is any less of a timebomb than a refurb ;)

gantz85

Banned
Tom Penny said:
Riiiiight :lol

grap3fruitman said:
Very serious unfortunately.

From when the license transfer thing first came out:
8org360s.png

Right now:
4newer360s.png

That's 11 and one console was DOA when it came from MS so that's not listed. =(

Oh shit son Tom Penny just got owned :lol

Dumb shit.

3 dead

1 premium, 2 elites. 3-6 months between each red ring i'd estimate. however havent been using my elite much since my live lapsed in like October-November.

PaNaMa

Banned
2 Dead 360s for me.

November 2005 (llaunch console) died in January 2008. It "lived" over 2 years, which I'm told is good for a launch box. Was heavily used both for games and movies.

January 2008 Falcon model (purchased cause I couldn't wait a month on MS to fix me dead one) died 364 days later. Just got that one back about 2 months ago. So now I have1 refurb in my living room, and 1 refurb in the bedroom.

ummm am i lucky because i've had mine since launch and it's never RROD'd yet?

i didn't even know it was THIS bad... haha wow

the only thing that happened on mine is the disc drive broke... but i got some weird guy in a shack to fix it for like 40$... (i'm dead serious... all this guy had was an extra 360 disc drive and a computer)

to go through 12 xboxs is kinda nuts... but it's nice to see you're devoted to gaming :D

Beezy

RavenFox said:
wth? I understand your investments and such but PS3 online today does not suck. In fact its on par and exceeds in some areas.

Wow what? Its true
What was the point of bringing up the yearly Live fee? Honestly, what does that have to do with this thread at all?

360 red rings, Microsoft fixes it for free in about a week or two. People aren't buying a new 360 every time one breaks.

2 dead on me. Launch system lasted about two years, they sent me a refurb that lasted 5 months. This current one has been going strong.

I simply play most multiplat single player games on my PS3 at this point as a "punishment" to MS :lol .

I would do it all over again the 360 is an excellent console with regards to software.

I tend to hate these RRoD threads because the RRoD is really the Alamo for console fanboys.

jibblypop

Banned
1 so far.

Every single person I know has had an xbox break on them. That is 11 people. I know it's just anecdotal evidence but that is a 100% failure rate between my friends and I. Judging by the long threads about it on here, we are obviously in the majority.

I really don't think Microsoft paid nearly enough for this. I know it was billions but when your failure rate is so high that it's difficult to find a console that hasn't broken, there should be MAJOR repercussions.

They shouldn't be allowed to just continue on and keep hyping their system and selling more and more. I'm very angry at the gaming (and mainstream) media for letting this go away.

zeelman

Microsoft keeps revising and updating the hardware, so the failure rate on the 360s has gone down. Plus they offer a longer warranty for the RROD. Nobody is letting them get away with anything.

My 360 red ringed and Microsoft did not repair it (they actually lost my system at the repair center). They sent me a new one, which was basically broken from the day I got it (games would occasionally have trouble working). I told the tech support guy this and he brushed me off.

About two weeks after the warranty expired, it basically broke permanently. Over half the games I tried to play on it would either have severe graphics problems or would freeze outright.

They knocked 50% off the repair cost and just sent me another new one. So far so good... for now.

ThatHurt

In before
"1/2 of 360 sales are RROD's"
and
"1/2 of PS3's are only used for movies"
and
the meltdown bans.

why do we have a 360 died on me thread again?

ThatHurt said:
In before
"1/2 of 360 sales are RROD's"
and
"1/2 of PS3's are only used for movies"
and
the meltdown bans.

why do we have a 360 died on me thread again?

I was more interested in seeing the number of times consoles have died on people, not so much HEY MY 360 DIED THIS SUCKS.

sinseers said:
I don't know it this is common knowledge or not, but if you are using an old power strip, like I was, the 360 will RROD on you. But here is the kicker.....the system itself was not broken. My power brick bricked.

I you can, do what I did. I took my 360 back to gamestop and asked them to hook it up using a new power brick and guess what? It worked. I ask that every please check their surge protectors and power strips. As far as I have been seen so far if your strip looks like it has any kind of short in it what so ever (Blinking power light etc.) DO NOT PLUG YOUR 360 POWER BRICK INTO IT!!!! It will brick the brick.​

Oh my god... That sounds like my problem.

Nose Master

I've had 2 RROD's. First was a launch unit, lasted a good year+. Replacement lasted all of like 2 months. That replacement had a fucked up disk drive after a couple months, and I had to bitch to get it fixed for free. My newest one has been okay for a while, but has been acting weird lately so I expect the RROD soooon

Cheech

KilgoreTrout said:
I don't want to deal with that hassle, and would just rather buy a new system.

So, the questions are:

For those who have had their Xbox die on them, has your system died only once or multiple times?

If the system has died multiple times, how long was it between deaths?

1. My launch box RROD'ed after 2 years in service. Got the refurb, which worked fine.
2. I ended up selling the refurb 8 months after receiving it because I wanted an HDMI box.

So technically I'm on my 3rd box, but I only had one unit die on me.

I also had a PS3 die on me, so as far as I'm concerned this generation is one giant quality shitburger.

If MS will pay to replace it, you might as well do that and then sell it when you get it. And then just buy an Arcade.

Although, I'll admit that if I went through 12 of them, I would still happily replace them. It's not really the 360 exclusives, it's more the online experience. The PSN is useless, since Sony leaves way too much in the hands of the developer. The last two PS3 titles I played regularly online (Battlefield BC and Killzone 2) both had ridiculous problems that simply would not have existed on the 360.

pr0cs

I had multiple systems die on me, all were new but pre HDMI models.
I have an in-store warranty so when my machines died I just took them in and the store gave me new models.

If I didn't have a warranty I'd probably just find a "newest of the new" arcade model and buy it instead of going through the repair circle jerk. I'd still make Microsoft fix the thing but I'd likely trade it in or privately sell it.

I have two 360s. Each one has died once. One RROD'd and one just froze up all the time. MS replaced both and I've had no problems since then...

*knocks on wood*

I'm on my 8th 360 right now since launch, although the 2nd one came with a bad disc drive and needed to be sent back as soon as I got it. They always sent me refurbs, no matter how many times I as for a new replacement. I also requested the latest model with HDMI and I still only get 1st gen replacements that are doomed to fail again and again. This latest one has been going strong for over a year, so either it's time draws near or I may actually have a stable system now.

Firehead

Wii died;know not of what caused it. I need to send it to Nintendo. - Launch system
360 got the RROD once. - Also launch system

Salmonax

360: Still on my first (Falcon Elite, late 2007)

PS3: Still on my first (80GB)

Wii: Started getting DREs during Metroid Prime Corruption so I had to get it swapped out

Cheech

KilgoreTrout said:
Ah, nevermind. This is already becoming too much of a trolling thread.

Who is trolling? I don't think there is a soul left who thinks the 360 is an awesomely engineered and built piece of hardware. :lol

Top Bottom