• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question to those whose 360 has RROD'd:

painey

6 broken 360's, 4 purchased in total because I couldn't wait. 4 in my house right now including 2 broken ones that I just cant be arsed to sit on the phone for an hour to get repaired.

Revolver

AltogetherAndrews said:
3 (4 if you count the one that broke down a few months after selling it)

Same here. I sold the fourth to a co-worker and it recently RRoD'ed on him. I really didn't want to sell it to someone I know, but he insisted that he just had to have one. "All my friends have one," he said. Oh well, I think he hates me now.

gantz85

Banned
It surprises me that people in this thread have gone through so many 360s. I would've lost patience a fucklong time ago regardless of what console or even electronic product it was.

Regardless I still think it's important data that the gaming industry should take note of.. the platform holders should exploit this phenomenon for cash as much as possible. Along with the micro-transactions phenomenon :D

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
1st 360 (XENON, no HDMI) the disc drive crapped out after about 10 months (games started freezing after playing for more than 2 minutes, xbla games played fine). MS sent me back a refurb free.

2nd 360 just RROD a month ago, about 2 years after my first 360 crapped out (1 month away from warranty ending :D ) MS sent me back another refurb free

3rd 360 I think the gpu crapped out, 1 week after getting it back from MS (powers on with middle green light, but no green ring or no video or audio, tried multiple TVs & cables). Sent back to MS for free, next day air TO and FROM.

I'm still waiting for them to send back my last 360, but I bought a new Jasper ARCADE to get out of this cycle and because my warranty will be up soon. I'm selling the refurb to my friend for the price that gamestop would give me for it (he knows the deal).

Cheech said:
Who is trolling? I don't think there is a soul left who thinks the 360 is an awesomely engineered and built piece of hardware. :lol

I guess more so I could see this thread turning into troll central if I turned it into a tally of each platform's respective death tally (which is what I was going to say the OP was gonna be before I edited the post).

daycru

I'm on my fourth 360, bought my first in September of 2006. This summer I will be putting my system on Ebay then buying an Arcade to get a new three year warranty.

I've had one launch 360 RRoD, its replacement die on me a year later, and an Elite die on me, 14 months into ownership.

I repaired the replacement Premium and the Elite myself, using Arctic Silver and the x-Clamp replacement mod. I've had no problems with either my Elite or my Premium since, and honestly, don't expect to have any more problems after seeing how poor the original design and thermal paste was.

Xbox 360 #1: August 2, 2006 - April 16, 2007 -- Disc drive death

Xbox 360 #2: May 7, 2007 - October 30, 2007 -- Disc drive scratching discs

Xbox 360 #3: November 20, 2007 - August 28, 2008 -- Ring of Death

Xbox 360 #4: September 15, 2008 - ???????

bumpkin

I got my first 360 in May of '06 and it died in August of '08. I've had my second since a week or two afterward and it's still goin' strong. *crosses fingers* :lol

Wait, so what's the point of this thread? Don't we already have a list of people who've returned multiple consoles? I thought the guy was just worried about his unit getting refurb'd and it itself actually dying again.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I got my first one christmas of 07, it died in September. It was a falcon unit, and I'm pretty sure my replacement isn't, but no problems with it yet.

Son of Godzilla said:
Wait, so what's the point of this thread? Don't we already have a list of people who've returned multiple consoles? I thought the guy was just worried about his unit getting refurb'd and it itself actually dying again.

The point originally was to see if refurbished consoles keep dying. Now it's just kinda a death toll thread.

If we already have a thread about that, mods, feel free to lock this.

punkypine

my 360: red ringed once, just got it back from microsoft, we'll see if it happens again

my brothers: red rings like every month, but if he leaves it alone for a day, it works again. probably about 7 times total since he got it last summer

My original pro that was manufactured in the RROD zone... october or near the launch time. It died. I got it repaired for free then sold it and bought an elite. Elites been going strong. its a lower power one. Not the newest model but 175w one.

DRock

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Good grief at some of you guys being on your 4th or higher console.....I would've said adios after the 2nd one....

Why if they repair it for free?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
DRock said:
Why if they repair it for free?

In that case, i agree, no financial impact to you, but its still a big PITA to have to send your system away that many times.

Unless you have other consoles too that you could play in the meantime, but still.....I would get really irritated.

phez

Banned
3 total.

First launch 360 bricked after firmware update; replaced with a new unit in about a week's time. Second 360 bricked after stupid kids left it on playing rock band for a night, turn around time was about a week and i got a refurb. still on the refurb. canadaland here.

the second 360 went strong for two years and i'm sure it would've kept going if not for that incident.

Javaman

I'm on my second Elite. The one I got back a couple of weeks is all scratched up and the controllers don't stay synced. :mad:

Dorrin

I've had one issue with my console which was manufactured on 9-6-07 - Falcon.

I got the E74 error which is one red ring. I was 4 months out of warranty.

I got my repair back in 13 days elapsed time, could have been faster but I got unlucky on some shipping times and the weekends. It was not a refurb.

No other issues so far but its only been a month. I did switch its location so hopefully it will get some more air.

Wyeth

I'm on my second 360 (launch one died 6 mo ago). I'm also on my third Wii if anyone is curious. Both threw some weird system error but were replaced summarily by Nintendo after a short phone call.

My mid-06 unit died summer of last year, so 2 years. I played the shit out of her, she was my first love.

Replaced her with a Falcon + last summer, I missed Jasper by like months, but it's been going strong.

I played my previous and current machines ALOT. Sometimes, it'll be on all day I'll leave it on and come back and watch movies, fall asleep it's still on. So I'm saying I do not baby these things.

Which brings me to. HOW THE FUCK could you go through TWELVE?? I want to know specifics: was it locked in an enclosure with no ventilation? Did you punch it whenever you lost in a game? Did you leave it on 24/7? Seriously we want answers! Can't just be your luck, there has to be a reason.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Mine died last September. Didn't fall under that Warranty that Microsoft did awhile back. They want $100 to fix it. Still haven't sent it in.

My launch system died with RROD and fortunately(?) I've only had to replace my system once (knock on wood). However, since it died and literally everyone I know that lives near me has had their system die at least once, I've been playing my 360 less unless there is a specific game I have to play on the 360. With PS3 ports now being more or less in line with the 360 version, if all things are roughly equal, I now move more towards the PS3 version rather than what used to be default always to the 360 version. Achievements used to also keep me going for the 360 version but now with trophies that point is moot. This RROD stuff has seriously lost business for Microsoft from me because of it and I buy a shit ton of games a year.

Rorschach

Are you only counting RROD? I've had 6 die on me, but only 2 were RROD.

[edit] The other 4 were 3 disc drive failures and 1 graphics card failure.

Jinaar

1x

My launch 360 died in Dec 2008. Lasted for so long and then.... just Bzzzzzzz ding ding ding BRARRRRRING error error... BING .... 3 red rings.

DRock

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
In that case, i agree, no financial impact to you, but its still a big PITA to have to send your system away that many times.

Unless you have other consoles too that you could play in the meantime, but still.....I would get really irritated.
It's not that big of a pain to send it away if they send you a coffin. The worst part is calling support, but apparently you don't even have to do that now, you can do it through their website. Also the longest I've had to wait was a little over 2 weeks which isn't too bad. Irritating, yes, but not too bad. It is what it is.

Having a Wii and PSP definitely eases the burden.

Rorschach

DRock said:
It's not that big of a pain to send it away if they send you a coffin. The worst part is calling support, but apparently you don't even have to do that now, you can do it through their website. Also the longest I've had to wait was a little over 2 weeks which isn't too bad. Irritating, yes, but not too bad. It is what it is.
Pain in the ass = irritating. You're just splitting hairs here.

Also, not all of us have your luck. Longest I had to wait for one was ~2 months and the only reason I got it back that "fast" was because of outside help. Not to mention the time I got one back that was dead on arrival. The last one that failed wasn't free, so I said fuck it.

AppleBlade

I had a 360 from shortly after launch. It crapped out on me and by then I already new about the red ring epidemic, after some annoying customer service I eventually got a refurb back and promptly sold it along with all my 360 games. Sorry, but I don't support crappy products, whether it's computers, cars, or video-game systems, if it's an unreliable POS I sure as hell am not going to speak with the loudest voice I have (money) and tell them it's ok. Especially when the customer service was so horrible. Long time holding on the phone, a customer service rep with bad english, long turn-around time to get the new system, etc.

I also had a Wii since launch. My wii also started having issues (green dots). However, Nintendo gave me excellent customer service and the system does not have the high failure rate of the 360 so I gladly kept my Wii. The customer service was what won me over. There was literally no holding on the phone. I called, it rang, a guy picked up who was obviously a Native English speaker and was actually really nice. He e-mailed me a prepaid packing slip. I dropped it off that same day and within 6 days I had a brand new Wii at my door. This was very important to me because Mario Galaxy was coming out that week and I was able to get my Wii back before release date.

Finally, I've my PS3 for over a year and that thing has given me no issues whatsoever. It's big and heavy but it's one solid machine.

Ding

My launch unit lasted 27 months before red ringing. I just exchanged it at Costco, and they even gave me $50 back, since prices had dropped in the intervening years. The replacement hasn't given me any trouble, nor has the second 360 I bought for the bedroom. I have two friends that own 360s. Neither of them have had any trouble with theirs.

It's pretty obvious that refurbished units are far less reliable than new ones. (And even the new ones are far from bulletproof.)

gantz85 said:
It surprises me that people in this thread have gone through so many 360s. I would've lost patience a fucklong time ago regardless of what console or even electronic product it was.

I did, but I found a Premium package for $100 and a standalone for $70 or so, which made it hard to resist jumping back in.

Ive had 4 360s die on me. I own 3 of them right now.. one is being returned by MS today. I sent it in last Monday.

To be fair.. I play my 360 so often, far more often than any other console I have ever owned that I think perhaps that is part of it. Outside of that I always get a kick out of the fact that my launch 360 lasted 18 months and my PS3 lasted 4 months before needing repair. Of course since then my 360s keep breaking and my PS3 has been solid.

Now that the 360 is 200 bucks most of my friends just have a back up system. Sucks but if you want to keep gaming it is almost a must.

Duke Togo

I've had 2 360's die on me. :| My 1st one was a launch system that lasted about 7 months, the 2nd one was the replacement and it lasted about a year. When I got the 2nd one back, I sold it.

Arpharmd B said:
Which brings me to. HOW THE FUCK could you go through TWELVE?? I want to know specifics: was it locked in an enclosure with no ventilation? Did you punch it whenever you lost in a game? Did you leave it on 24/7? Seriously we want answers! Can't just be your luck, there has to be a reason.
Open areas with lots of air to breathe, I'll post pics of my old and new set-ups once I get home from the office. I've treated them like babies and the only thing I can think of is that there are three people that play it on a regular basis, myself included, but at the same time this is the only console I've had fail on me this much including my Wii that I've had since launch day and a PS3 that I've had for over a year and a half now. Zero quality issues with those two and I know people who've had issues with them.

The guy who's jinxing me telling me not to get #13 RRODed should know that my current system had a quick RROD a few weeks back at which point my brothers stopped playing for a while and now it's okay. Still... it's on its death-bed already. =\

It'd be nice if I could have all my ~100 Rockband DLC stick to one console so I don't have to run an ethernet cable to play them.

Top Bottom