• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.I.P. Tupac... 15 Years Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Az987

all good things
lordmrw said:
You know I've always wondered what the hell Chino XL did to have so many rappers come out and say fuck that guy back in the day.

In 2pacs case I believe he said something about him being raped in jail in a song.

Vice

Mortrialus said:
I still find it amazing how others can't take others receiving criticism. The guy couldn't sing. He couldn't compose. He was musically illiterate. He couldn't play any musical instrument with any sort of proficiency. He was completely worthless in the music business. Oddly enough you post didn't (And can't) address any of that, so you resort to labeling me as a troll because you can't argue against the fact that the man literally had no musical talent in the slightest.

He was in a genre where singing, composition and the ability to play an instrument all took the backseat. He, and most other rappers, aren't liked because of their talents with that set of skills but because their ability to use language to weave entertaining and meaningful lyrics.

You're judging him with standards that don't apply to the genre, or at least his position within the genre.

Edit: There are also musical talents like sense of rhythm and pitch that he demonstrated.

levious said:
oh, you seem confused. He was a rapper, his focus was lyrical.

That isn't a defense, it is an indictment.

While he did study music at various educational levels

I find that hard to believe, because it certainly doesn't show.

his focus was always poetry.
It would be nice if there was an artistic pursuit that specifically involved using written language on its own to create aesthetically pleasing, meaningful verses that aren't accompanied by awful, awful music.

This would be like going into a Jimi Hendrix thread and pointing out that his voice was pretty mediocre...
The difference is that Jimi Hendrix had musical talent elsewhere despite not being much of a sing. Tupac doesn't.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
figured you just irrationally hated rap, oh well, either way you come off as stupid. Congrats on your trailblazing opinions...

What the fuck is good music to you then, Mortrialus? Since you seem to be the all high and mighty as to what good, "real" music is...

Paches

Mortrialus said:
I still find it amazing how others can't take others receiving criticism. The guy couldn't sing. He couldn't compose. He was musically illiterate. He couldn't play any musical instrument with any sort of proficiency. He was completely worthless in the music business. Oddly enough you post didn't (And can't) address any of that, so you resort to labeling me as a troll because you can't argue against the fact that the man literally had no musical talent in the slightest.

You don't like rap then, it's cool, just stop shitting on people reminiscing about one of the greatest lyricists of all time.

mackaveli

has there been any unreleased songs leak onto the net lately?

I used to be such a die hard fan and would always check message boards if unreleased songs would release and stuff like that.

Like is there any new tupac stuff from 2006 to 2011?

Guevara

At the age of twelve, Shakur enrolled in Harlem's 127th Street Repertory Ensemble and was cast as the Travis Younger character in the play A Raisin in the Sun, which was performed at the Apollo Theater. In 1986, the family relocated to Baltimore, Maryland.[16] After completing his second year at Paul Laurence Dunbar High School he transferred to the Baltimore School for the Arts, where he studied acting, poetry, jazz, and ballet. He performed in Shakespeare plays, and in the role of the Mouse King in The Nutcracker.[14] Shakur, accompanied by one of his friends, Dana "Mouse" Smith, as his beatbox, won most of the many rap competitions that he participated in and was considered to be the best rapper in his school.[17] He was remembered as one of the most popular kids in his school because of his sense of humor, superior rapping skills, and ability to mix in with all crowds.[18]

He developed a close friendship with a young Jada Pinkett (later Jada Pinkett Smith) that lasted until his death. In the documentary Tupac: Resurrection, Shakur says, "Jada is my heart. She will be my friend for my whole life," and Pinkett Smith calls him "one of my best friends. He was like a brother. It was beyond friendship for us. The type of relationship we had, you only get that once in a lifetime." A poem written by Shakur titled "Jada" appears in his book, The Rose That Grew From Concrete, which also includes a poem dedicated to Pinkett Smith called "The Tears in Cupid's Eyes". During his time in art school, Shakur began dating the daughter of the director of the Baltimore Communist Party USA.[19]

In June 1988, Shakur and his family moved to Marin City, California,[16] where he attended Tamalpais High School.[20] He began attending the poetry classes of Leila Steinberg in 1989.[21] That same year, Steinberg organized a concert with a former group of Shakur's, Strictly Dope; the concert led to him being signed with Atron Gregory who set him up as a roadie and backup dancer with the young rap group Digital Underground in 1990.[4][5][6]

Mind blown. Not only was he into ballet, acting and jazz, he grew up in the East Coast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupac_Shakur

Paches

mackaveli said:

I used to be such a die hard fan and would always check message boards if unreleased songs would release and stuff like that.

Yeah, but it is nothing compared to the classics like All Eyez On Me. Most of it is just remixed crap that producers do to get money off his name.

Mortrialus said:
It would be nice if there was an artistic pursuit that specifically involved using written language on its own to create aesthetically pleasing, meaningful verses that aren't accompanied by awful, awful music.

Have you ever looked into spoken word or indie hip-hop?

Anyway, I agree with the guy who said that tupac created the thug image for himself an then got too wrapped up in it. At the very least, he got mixed up with the wrong crowd. Watch his 1988 interview when he was 17 and tell me that this guy was REALLY some hardened killer.

Either way, he made some good songs. RIP.

Souljiro

mackaveli said:

lol I use to do the same thing there was a good pac site I use visit all the time for mixtapes and unreleased songs that brings back memories.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Pinko Marx said:
People always say Ether is the best diss song ever but Hail Mary and Hit 'Em Up are fucking ruthless songs.

Yep, I think Hit 'Em Up is the best diss track of all time. Easily.

mr stroke

Mortrialus said:

Do you consider Rappers musicians in general?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Mortrialus said:
The guy is a shitty musician. I find it amazing how much the general populace love it some shitty musicians who are musically illiterate. Everyone who enjoys him should feel ashamed.
Translation: I don't like rap.

Tupac's wordplay and flow is legendary. Even if you don't like rap, hating on him is most likely ignorant trolling. There's no way you could listen to the majority of his output and not at least recognize the obvious talent at work.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Mortrialus said:
blahblahblah
unDLc.jpg

VanMardigan said:
Yep, I think Hit 'Em Up is the best diss track of all time. Easily.
Yeah I'm a much bigger Nas fan than Pac but I don't see how this could be argued; though is crew's lines are pretty weak. Pac's opening assault... Yikes.

Mortrialus isn't dead, he just went into hiding.

marrec

Banned
ZROCOOL said:
Mortrialus pulling the "all eyes on me card" lol

I really hope he wasn't banned for simply not liking Tupac...

I mean, that'd be silly.

Mortrialus shouldn't have used this thread as a vehicle for his mostly uncalled for venom.

More to the point, Tupac made some good music and it is too bad that he was murdered... I can't imagine him being around today though. I don't think he'd get along with anyone making music today.

levious

marrec said:

I mean, that'd be silly.

Mortrialus shouldn't have used this thread as a vehicle for his mostly uncalled for venom.

complete disregard and disrespect for an entire genre of music and a condescending attitude towards anyone who doesn't agree. I don't see how you could get "simply not liking Tupac" out of his remarks.

Souljiro

marrec said:

I mean, that'd be silly.

He should have been banned for the way he posted it wasn’t the purpose of this thread.

edit: I see he is

marrec said:

I mean, that'd be silly.

More to the point, Tupac made some good music and it is too bad that he was murdered... I can't imagine him being around today though. I don't think he'd get along with anyone making music today.
Blatant thread derailment like that is a bannable offense. Plus don't fuck with Bishop (on GAF or in the movie Juice)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
OrangeGrayBlue said:
Have you ever looked into spoken word or indie hip-hop?

Anyway, I agree with the guy who said that tupac created the thug image for himself an then got too wrapped up in it. At the very least, he got mixed up with the wrong crowd. Watch his 1988 interview when he was 17 and tell me that this guy was REALLY some hardened killer.

Either way, he made some good songs. RIP.
While I think he eventually lived his self-made thug image by running his mouth and starting beefs... that's not really where he was coming from. I mean he went to art school with Jada Pinkett-Smith, who thought he was a sweetheart :p He was a creative, artistic kid who grew up with the awareness of the ghetto life, but I don't think he was actually gangbanger number one... That's not any kind of knock, though, because I'm not some idiot 14 year old thug who'd need that from a rapper. He was a poet who rapped about gang life... not some thug who figured out poetry between drive-bys... if ya know what I'm getting at.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
marrec said:
Oh, you can dislike Tupac all you want. Go see the yearly edition of the "Tupac vs Biggie" argument that's been going on here since 2000 or so. What's intolerable is some smug, self-satisfied poster strolling into the thread and shitting on the musical - yes, musical - talent involved in hip-hop and rap in general...and Tupac in particular. If he had a point to make, it was lost in the sheer assholery of his delivery.

Thankfully I don't have to suffer fools, gladly or otherwise.

BocoDragon said:
While I think he eventually lived his self-made thug image by running his mouth and starting beefs... that's not really where he was coming from. I mean he went to art school with Jada Pinkett-Smith, who thought he was a sweetheart :p He was a creative, artistic kid who grew up with the awareness of the ghetto life, but I don't think he was actually gangbanger number one... That's not any kind of knock, though, because I'm not some idiot 14 year old thug who'd need that from a rapper. He was a poet who rapped about gang life... not some thug who figured out poetry between drive-bys... if ya know what I'm getting at.

I totally agree. That's what I was trying to say. He was an artistic theatre kid who got Into gang life, not a guy in the gang life who decided to start being creative.

FStop7

Banned
Live Free or Die said:
I remember hearing some of his songs growing up but I forgot the names of them. what were some of his good songs?

California Love is probably the most commercially famous.

I Get Around is pretty good.

I was never a big fan of Tupac's but to deride his talent or the musical skill involved in making good hip hop music is just... dumb.

levious

OrangeGrayBlue said:
I totally agree. That's what I was trying to say. He was an artistic theatre kid who got Into gang life, not a guy in the gang life who decided to start being creative.

it's more both I'd say, his background is not the typical one of a theatre kid.

Ninja Scooter said:
"I wish"
"Tootsie Roll"
"Pumps n the bump"

Madden 13 soundtrack

Az987

all good things
Fun Fact:

Tupac really admired Vincent Van Gogh. I forget what it was on but his aunt (i believe) said that Don McLean's Vincent (Starry Starry Night) was playing on repeat in his room as he was dieing in the hospital.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM

I find it pretty crazy I still remember where I was when they said that he had died. I was only 10

bengraven

15 years ago today...

...rich white kids who had never heard of Tupac were suddenly buying his albums and putting "RIP PAC" on their school folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom