• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.I.P. Tupac... 15 Years Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
bengraven said:
15 years ago today...

...rich white kids who had never heard of Tupac were suddenly buying his albums and putting "RIP PAC" on their school folders.
Because 2pac was indie and underground before he died?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
macuser1of5 said:
Yeah I'm a much bigger Nas fan than Pac but I don't see how this could be argued; though is crew's lines are pretty weak. Pac's opening assault... Yikes.

You can cut out the crew entirely (and probably should) and its still the greatest diss song. That opening verse has more venom than the entire population of black mambas alive on earth today.

VASPER

Banned
Damn it's been 15 years, i remember when i was listing to 2pac in high school. He was on of the BEST artist to have lived. RIP

Az987

all good things
Unconditional said:
I know it's bad but I find myself thinking, "It shoulda been Suge."

A lot of people think Suge was behind it. There's a couple of dvd's about it called 2pac Assassination. Some things do seem kind of fishy like how the head of death row security told all the body guards they weren't allowed to carry their guns that night.

I don't know what to think because he was in the car with him but then again that is kind of the perfect alibi.

FStop7

Banned
Speaking of Tupac.

Is Meek Mill and Rick Ross' "Tupac Back" a tribute or a cash-in?

It screamed "cash in" to me, but Meek said during a radio interview that he got permission from Tupac's mom and has even performed the song when she was present, and that she approved. And that he would have stopped if she hadn't liked it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FStop7 said:
Speaking of Tupac.

Is Meek Mill and Rick Ross' "Tupac Back" a tribute or a cash-in?

It screamed "cash in" to me, but Meek said during a radio interview that he got permission from Tupac's mom and has even performed the song when she was present, and that she approved. And that he would have stopped if she hadn't liked it.
A cash in on what? The video was officially released on his birthday though.

I'm shocked to hear Tupac's mom actually approved though. I'm a bit anal about this but it doesn't sound anything like a tribute to me so I deteste the song. Also Meek Mill can fuck off.

bishoptl said:
unDLc.jpg
GLORIOUS

gogogow

enzo_gt said:

I'm shocked to hear Tupac's mom actually approved though. I'm a bit anal about this but it doesn't sound anything like a tribute to me so I deteste the song. Also Meek Mill can fuck off.
I'm shocked Tupac's mom approved Pac's Life and Loyal to the Game. They shouldn't have been under Pac's name but rather "various artists feat. 2Pac".

And I thought there was supposed to be a new album with untouched songs? Where the hell is it?

bishoptl said:
Oh, you can dislike Tupac all you want. Go see the yearly edition of the "Tupac vs Biggie" argument that's been going on here since 2000 or so. What's intolerable is some smug, self-satisfied poster strolling into the thread and shitting on the musical - yes, musical - talent involved in hip-hop and rap in general...and Tupac in particular. If he had a point to make, it was lost in the sheer assholery of his delivery.

Thankfully I don't have to suffer fools, gladly or otherwise.

Youre the fucking man. Thanks for getting rid of him.

K444WSR

Tupac is my personal goat simply because his charisma and passion captured the hearts and imaginations of an entire generation. Rappers with better wordplay, lyrics, flow etc just didn't connect with me the same way he did on songs like keep ur head up, dear mama or White mans world. I'll be the first to say that biggie was a better lyricist, but to this day, I find it amazing how so many songs of pac, still resonate deeply with me.

My personal favourite of his, is one that probably doesn't get as much love as his well known stuff. But, everytime I hear the song Krazy off of the 7 day theory (i would link but cant do it on iphone),I just feel like rolling one up and watching the day go by. RIP Pac.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Immortal_Daemon said:
He's the best rapper that ever lived, and he's more influential (in rap) than pretty much anybody.

I'd say that Teo Macero might be one of the biggest influences on rap...

Miles Davis Wiki said:
His recordings and performances during this period were described as "space music" by fans, by music critic Leonard Feather, and by Buckmaster, who described it as "a lot of mood changes—heavy, dark, intense—definitely space music."[39][40] Both Bitches Brew and In a Silent Way feature "extended" (more than 20 minutes each) compositions that were never actually "played straight through" by the musicians in the studio.[citation needed] Instead, Davis and producer Teo Macero selected musical motifs of various lengths from recorded extended improvisations and edited them together into a musical whole that exists only in the recorded version.

I've read this idea argued in detail before, but that was years ago.

FStop7

Banned
enzo_gt said:

A cash in by attaching themselves to his name. Meek Mill seemed cool based on the interview I heard but Officer Ricky on the other hand...

Messi

I love the mothers day dinner performance of dear mama that pac did with his mom in attendance.

Anyone know if that is on YouTube? Shit makes me cry :(

RIP

http://youtu.be/t1vBpbr2JL4

My fav.

Now I'm lost and I'm weary, so many tears
I'm suicidal, so don't stand near me
My every move is a calculated step, to bring me closer
to embrace an early death, now there's nothin left
There was no mercy on the streets, I couldn't rest
I'm barely standin, bout to go to pieces, screamin peace
And though my soul was deleted, I couldn't see it
I had my mind full of demons tryin to break free
They planted seeds and they hatched, sparkin the flame
inside my brain like a match, such a dirty game
No memories, just a misery
Paintin a picture of my enemies killin me, in my sleep
Will I survive til the mo'nin, to see the sun
Please Lord forgive me for my sins, cause here I come...

Nizz

ProtoCents said:
I find it amazing that both him and Biggie are still so revered.
Why? Both were great artists, the voices of their time. I'll admit, being from the East I'm partial to BIG. But I dug both BIG and PAC's music.

I wish they were both still around. Both their music would probably be better than a lot of stuff out there today.

Heard on the radio some time near his birthday or after that the Outlaws smoked his ashes this is straight from members. Idolized by every rap artist, the tattoos are a clear representation of that.

qcf x2

Bishop leveled up with that one, lol.

Tupac, gone too soon. He was and still is respected by all of his industry peers, which is in and of itself extremely rare. He brought his own sound and style, and the size and influence of his personality has never even been rivaled, let alone exceeded in a genre where perception is often almost everything. Yet I think the most interesting element to him was his transparency. The guy was always smiling, having fun. He just made some bad decisions and got taken advantage of by bad people (Suge Knight).

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure he was good buddies with Tony Danza. The thought of those two kicking it somewhere cracks me up.

Man...

Pac IS the reason why I got into hip-hop. He's the first rapper that I became a fan of. It would be interesting to note how things would be if he were alive. RIP.

Yeah, fuck Suge Knight.

I remember he went to Jimmy Kimmel live and Jimmy said something along the lines of, "Yeah, instead of shooting people with guns, they should inject some sort of poison into people, that will be more hard core." And Suge Knight smugly said, "Yeah, like an Eazy-E thing."

Bull shit...

spindashing said:
Man...

Pac IS the reason why I got into hip-hop. He's the first rapper that I became a fan of. It would be interesting to note how things would be if he were alive. RIP.

He would have issues with, Lil wayne running around on stage with leopard print skinny jeans on, also trying to sing.

shahkur

Az987 said:
In 2pacs case I believe he said something about him being raped in jail in a song.

From what I've read, I thought it was Wendy Williams who spread that rumour where at the time she had a radio show or something and now she has her own TV show.

OG_Original Gamer said:
He would have issues with, Lil wayne running around on stage with leopard print skinny jeans on, also trying to sing.
**insert pic of Pac posing in a bathtub covered in nothing but gold jewelry**

Recon

Banned
I think Pac would of retired from Rap after awhile. I think acting would of taken over. I highly doubt that he would still be releasing albums right now if he were alive.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
I think Pac would of retired from Rap after awhile. I think acting would of taken over. I highly doubt that he would still be releasing albums right now if he were alive.
Agreed, I think he'd take a seat up top at a label somewhere while doing acting. I can also see him getting into politics, it's only logical.

Has there ever been a Wu-Tang thread? (Just asking becaus hip-hop gaf is here)

I'd like to see GAF debate on who was the greatest rapper in the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom