• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Togo

I approve of people getting publicly humiliated for displaying their racist ignorance online.

And fuck the idea of "getting used" to racism. Fuck right off with that idea.

Are you sure they are racists or just really wished the movie stayed true to the book?

For example in the Thor film Hiemdall was played by a black guy, but in the comics he is norse (white) and honestly i wish they had stayed true to the comics.

I will say however, i did not mind Idris Elba's performance but i still wish they stayed true to the comics. Does that mean i am racist?

Edit: yes the last tweet is racist but the rest arent that bad.

Even though you're banned, Fox in the Wanted comics is black, but Angelina was cast. Did you rage?

not all of them seem racist.

I think a lot of the issues stem from their interpretation of the characters and the dipiction in the film.

Lots of people thought the recluse in to kill a mocking bird was black and for them it was shocking to see he was white when protrayed in the move adaptation.

I'm pretty much immune to racism affecting me from life experiences, years on the internet and XBL but this one is getting to me for some reason.....

LM4sure

Banned

I think a lot of the issues stem from their interpretation of the characters and the dipiction in the film.

Lots of people thought the recluse in to kill a mocking bird was black and for them it was shocking to see he was white when protrayed in the move adaptation.

Yeah, that is exactly how I felt. I haven't seen the movie, and didn't know Rue was cast as a black girl, but I was surprised when I saw this thread. I read the book and had no idea she was supposed to be back. I thought she was a little white girl, maybe because of the many comparisons to Katniss' sister.

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm pretty much immune to racism affecting me from life experiences, years on the internet and XBL but this one is getting to me for some reason.....
Its not so much the usual "oh no why are they casting black people" thing (even though in this case its worse considering the source material), but the casual dismissal of the character due to their race. "LOL as if I would feel bad for a black person dying"

I mean, what the fuck.

fearofablackplanet.jpg

GamerSoul

Yeah, that is exactly how I felt. I haven't seen the movie, and didn't know Rue was cast as a black girl, but I was surprised when I saw this thread. I read the book and had no idea she was supposed to be back. I thought she was a little white girl, maybe because of the many comparisons to Katniss' sister.

This is understandable, but when the initial shock brings out what can be judged as racist remarks...it can say a lot sometimes sadly. And the other thing is the actor who played Rue did her job well, imo, so there is no real problem other than her looks.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I'm in the same boat. I thought it was bad when I read the comments initially but was able to brush it off pretty easily. But once I saw the picture of the little girl they were bad mouthing... wow. It was pretty evident to me that these people have no fucking conscience.

How can any rational person look at that girl and have a seething hatred manifest inside them? Unbelievable.

number47

my favorite part is that people put their real names on twitter. oh people haven't learned the cardinal rule of the Internet. it stays there forever.

Jaleel

Sure, I think most people can agree that there is a level of interpretation when reading any book and when said book gets adapted to film some people's interpretations won't live up to expectations. And when it does not, there's nothing wrong with initially being shocked or surprised. Its natural after having imagined someone to look like something else. For example, given the context of having "dark brown skin" one could of assumed she was of Arabic, Hispanic, North African or South Asian descent.

However, that's not what people are having an issue with. What people are upset about are tweets like these:

How can I cry over a black guy dying lol

or

lol ew I imagined her looking innocent and cute

Which are absolutely distasteful and in my opinion racist due to the context of the situation. Given their attitude I also highly doubt that if the actor was of Hispanic or Arab descent that these tweets would have been any better.

I wonder what would happen if Idris Elba were cast as the next James Bond? I think he'd make a great Bond. Even if it didn't work out, the reaction from folks would be delicious.

Also this is sort of unrelated, but this thread made me remember something strange about Star Trek: Enterprise:

Dr1n3.jpg

Why did this guy keep referring to all humans as "pink skins" even when he was on the bridge with Archer, and Ensign Mayweather was right there in front of him? He saw Mayweather in like the second encounter with humans so he had to have known humans came in many skin tones -- unlike Andorians.

I see you're new. Go take a look at what 2th does in threads.

yeah, i just saw how 2th went mad in the Young Justice thread over a comment directed at Superboy!

i was like "oh, it's that guy"

pretty much. it isnt the first time hes called someone out and then played the victim.

He said he was playing devil's advocate.

I just went through the entire thread, and honestly? Spanning this one, and others, the guy is just being contrarian for contrarians sake. Have you read the thread? Have you seen his jumps in logic? I'd read over it one more if you haven't.

Admitting to trolling is not a good idea.

Ah, so this is just an extension of previous misbehavior... very well, then. I guess there would've been no convincing him anyways.

fallagin

Some people are just gigantic asshole racists and they don't give a single fuck. We basically just have to ostracize them from regular society or they will think its okay.

stupei

Just imagine how the actress must feel if she knows about this.

Man... really sad. :(

If you google her name, all the news stories that come up are about this. I really, really hope her parents are keeping her away from this kind of thing as a young actress. :\

I know she'll have to know the realities of this ugliness some day, but let the kid keep at least some of her innocence for now. (Oh, what am I saying? For her to have innocence she'd have to be white, right?)

If you read that tumblr, one of the weirdest things is a strong percentage seemed to think she was a pale redhead. Such a huge leap to make for no discernable reason. Maybe they've got a thing for Karen Gillan?

Montresor

The following tweets:

1st row, 3rd column
2nd row, 1st column
2nd row, 3rd column
3rd row, 2nd column

are not racist. Those are dumb comments to make, given the way the characters were described by the author. Dumb and insensitive. I think it's really unfair to lump those kids with people who say "Sense when has Rue been a nigger." What the fuck... =/

edit: I changed my wording around a bit.

I didn't even make a note or any deal of this.

My problem was that I always viewed Katniss with a sharp fucking jaw!

also..

People calling other people "racist" is far to common these days. To be racist, is to think your race is above all. I sometimes call my Spanish friends, "spacs" or talk Spanish to them in a jokingly kind of way. I don't consider myself a racist.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The following tweets:

1st row, 3rd column
2nd row, 1st column
2nd row, 3rd column
3rd row, 2nd column

are not racist. Those are dumb comments to make, given the way the characters were described by the author. Dumb and insensitive. I think it's really unfair to lump those kids with people who say "Sense when has Rue been a nigger." What the fuck... =/

edit: I changed my wording around a bit.

Eh... its just 'odd' because the author does say that she's black.

And the last one you mentioned, maybe I'm misinterpreting but isn't "black person playing Rue? eww - not watching" just kinda fucked up?

Montresor

Eh... its just 'odd' because the author does say that she's black.

And the last one you mentioned, maybe I'm misinterpreting but isn't "black person playing Rue? eww - not watching" just kinda fucked up?

Oh I think that one crosses a line too, but that's 2nd row 2nd column. I didn't mention it. I should've wrote out the tweets but I was lazy.

People calling other people "racist" is far to common these days. To be racist, is to think your race is above all. I sometimes call my Spanish friends, "spacs" or talk Spanish to them in a jokingly kind of way. I don't consider myself a racist.

I know you think this makes sense but it really doesn't and there is nothing common sense about it. Part of being racist is subjecting other races to bullshit judgments that insinuate they are inferior. I don't need to explicitly say "white is better" to act racist.

am I racist for saying I think Chloe Moretz would have been a better Rue?

bah, who the fuck cares, the character got like 5 min. of screen time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom