• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
But when it came to the casting of Rue, Thresh, and Cinna, many audience members did not understand why there were black actors playing those parts. Cinna's skin is not discussed in the book, so truthfully, though Lenny Kravitz was cast, a white, Asian or Latino actor could have played the part.

But. On page 45 of Suzanne Collins's book, Katniss sees Rue for the first time:

…And most hauntingly, a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that's she's very like Prim in size and demeanor…
Later, she sees Thresh:

The boy tribute from District 11, Thresh, has the same dark skin as Rue, but the resemblance stops there. He's one of the giants, probably six and half feet tall and built like an ox.

Dark skin. That is what the novelist, the creator of the series, specified. But there were plenty of audience members who were "shocked," or confused, or just plain angry.

The tumblr Hunger Games Tweets has collected a smattering of Twitter postings, with the goal of exposing "Hunger Games fans on Twitter who dare to call themselves fans yet don't know a damn thing about the books." What people are saying is disappointing, sad, stomach-churning, and just plain racist.

original.jpg

http://gawker.com/5896408/racist-hu...how-much-money-the-movie-made?tag=hungergames

People are bold...

Dabanton

All Idiots.

It's not even about being bold nowadays some people don't care anymore, they probably have black people, schoolmates etc on their twiitter and still talk that mess.

Twitter more than Facebook really allows you to see what festering nastiness is in a person mind.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
why the hell are screenshots of tweets vignetted? they really couldn't just take a screenshot?

In Web 3.0 all pictures will have random artistic filters applied to them so the entire web looks beautiful!!!

btkadams

twitter is full of morons. it is the exact same as youtube comments.

i relearned this recently when i found the @homophobes twitter account, which retweets insanely homophobic tweets.

MThanded

Dark skinned has now become synonymous with over-tanned/olive skinned people instead of black.

bengraven

The irony of all this is that the main character is described as being ethnic, but is played by a white girl.

Some people really need to read the books they claim to love.

Trouble

Banned
I am not illiterate, so I pictured Rue and Thresh as black because they are described as such in the book. I would have been disappointed if they were cast as white.

Cinna I pictured as white because he was from the capitol. I could care less about that casting decision, though, artistic license, etc.

Mangotron

So nine racists on Twitter object to the portrayal of a character because they have poor reading comprehension? Time to instagram some screencaps and write an article!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So nine racists on Twitter object to the portrayal of a character because they have poor reading comprehension? Time to instagram some screencaps and write an article!

I dunno, I'm totally onboard with this trend of "things happen -> idiots post idiotic tweets -> a single shot tumblr pops up to catalogue the tweets -> a lazy blog just reposts the tumblr content with a few lines of content". The Instagram stuff is the only part that bothers me! :p

Not shocking. Some people just have a very hard time identifying with any other human being that doesn't have the same amount of melanin in their skin as they do....

It's a problem, of course. Just not one that shocks me. I'm numb to it at this point.

2th

Banned
Are you sure they are racists or just really wished the movie stayed true to the book?

For example in the Thor film Hiemdall was played by a black guy, but in the comics he is norse (white) and honestly i wish they had stayed true to the comics.

I will say however, i did not mind Idris Elba's performance but i still wish they stayed true to the comics. Does that mean i am racist?

Edit: yes the last tweet is racist but the rest arent that bad.

From Gawker:

On page 45 of Suzanne Collins's book, Katniss sees Rue for the first time:

…And most hauntingly, a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that's she's very like Prim in size and demeanor…

Later, she sees Thresh:

The boy tribute from District 11, Thresh, has the same dark skin as Rue, but the resemblance stops there. He's one of the giants, probably six and half feet tall and built like an ox.

Sounds like making them black doesn't violate what the author says about them. They expected "Dark brown skinned" white people? They exist but, forgive my ignorance, isn't the book about people under some sort of totalitarian facism? It would make sense that most white people wouldn't have time to tan. From the trailer it seems to be set somewhere where a sunny day is hard to come by.

ultron87

I always skim over character descriptions. So I guess I could somewhat understand the ones that are just like "Oh, she's black and was in the book too." Of course I would never feel to post on Twitter or anywhere about this realization, because it changes nothing about the character.

Stet

Banned
And most hauntingly, a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that's she's very like Prim in size and demeanor…

this is what passes for writing these days?

This, seriously.

Why are we letting these people speak for all racist Hunger Games fans. I'm sure there are plenty of racist Hunger Games fans who were more upset by the aryans being villainous and killed off than the blacks being noble. How dare the author try to paint racists in a bad light.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Are you sure they are racists or just really wished the movie stayed true to the book?

the three castings in the OP were not contradictory to the descriptions in the book.

3N16MA

Banned

For example in the Thor film Hiemdall was played by a black guy, but in the comics he is norse (white) and honestly i wish they had stayed true to the comics.

I will say however, i did not mind Idris Elba's performance but i still wish they stayed true to the comics. Does that mean i am racist?

The author described the character as having dark brown skin.

Salmonax

How are people comfortable being this overtly racist over Twitter? Couldn't this stupidity have ramifications elsewhere in their lives?

MThanded

dark brown skin

Dram

enhanced-buzz-25512-1332778680-9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom