• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
enhanced-buzz-25512-1332778680-9.jpg

Wait, how'd you get the book on iBooks?

Wasn't available the last time I checked..

Koomaster

Will racism never end? What is the point? I'm also constantly shocked at how people proudly display their ignorance/racism/hatred/etc on social media? Okay, so you hate black people, but to just put that out there for all the world to see; how is that acceptable? How do they not instantly lose every friend/follower they've ever had?

2th

Banned

OMG DARK SKIN!!!!!!
wenn_snooki2.jpg

Point is that "dark skin" is vague and can mean anything from a horrible jersey shore tan to the darkest black you can think of.

Edit: For better comparison here is Lily Cole. Pretty much EVERYTHING is darker than her.
Lily-Cole.jpg

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
How are people comfortable being this overtly racist over Twitter? Couldn't this stupidity have ramifications elsewhere in their lives?

I've known many racists, and none of them give a shit who knows/or understand that it's wrong, from my experiences.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
OMG DARK SKIN!!!!!!

Point is that "dark skin" is vague and can mean anything from a horrible jersey shore tan to the darkest black you can think of.

right! So when that's the only descriptor, and they end up casting a black actor, why would someone react with "whoa, why they hell is this character black?!"

How are people comfortable being this overtly racist over Twitter? Couldn't this stupidity have ramifications elsewhere in their lives?

That's what I was thinking. Their names and in some cases their pictures are displayed. I guess in their minds it's the Internet so they can get away with saying anything.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Will racism never end? What is the point? I'm also constantly shocked at how people proudly display their ignorance/racism/hatred/etc on social media? Okay, so you hate black people, but to just put that out there for all the world to see; how is that acceptable? How do they not instantly lose every friend/follower they've ever had?

I am more shocked at people like 2th who seems ready to defend the racism right in their face. Maybe he thinks that if he justifies it then it really isn't racism.

Onemic

OMG DARK SKIN!!!!!!
wenn_snooki2.jg

Edit: For better comparison here is Lily Cole. Pretty much EVERYTHING is darker than her.
Lily-Cole.jg

Dark brown skin though? Not really.

OMG DARK SKIN!!!!!!
http://qualityshows.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/wenn_snooki2.jpg[mg]

[img]http://www.conservativecommune.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Lily-Cole.jpg[g][/QUOTE]

1. Dark brown.

2. Is there spray tan in your dystopian future, 2th?

2th

Banned
Dark Brown Skin.

Also the girl you posted isn't white, she's from Chile.

snookie is dark brown... that skin is brown. by definition of the color. not the racial/ethnic stuff.

If you dont get the point, im playing devils advocate and that the people decrying the idiots who made the tweets are just as dumb. This is a stupid thing for anyone to be paying attention to.

This is exactly why this shit should be called out every damn time...it should be absolutely 100% socially unacceptable to express something like that in mixed company, and you're always in mixed company on the internet.

harSon

Banned
Are you sure they are racists or just really wished the movie stayed true to the book?

For example in the Thor film Hiemdall was played by a black guy, but in the comics he is norse (white) and honestly i wish they had stayed true to the comics.

I will say however, i did not mind Idris Elba's performance but i still wish they stayed true to the comics. Does that mean i am racist?

Edit: yes the last tweet is racist but the rest arent that bad.

I can probably name 5 movies where a non-white character/person was played by a white actor for every one film you can name that does the opposite.

And if the fans wanted a film that was true to the book, they would have been pissed about the filmmaker's decision to cast Jennifer Lawrence. Her character's ethnicity is ambiguous within the novel, but she's described as brown haired, olive skinned and grey eyes. So what do the filmmakers do? Not only do they cast the one of the most European looking actresses they can find, but they specifically sought out someone who was: "between the ages of 15-20, be Caucasian, appear "underfed but strong," and be "naturally pretty underneath her tomboyishness."

ultron87

right! So when that's the only descriptor, and they end up casting a black actor, why would someone react with "whoa, why they hell is this character black?!"

Read book fast -> skim over the three word description. That seems like a reasonable thing that could happen.

Most of those are despicable. But I don't think saying "I realized Rue was black. Whaaa?" is particularly deplorable.

Imm0rt4l

I wonder how many people shared the same sentiments but wouldn't share them because they know how racist they are for this stupid shit.

Onemic

snookie is dark brown... that skin is brown. by definition of the color. not the racial/ethnic stuff.

If you dont get the point, im playing devils advocate and that the people decrying the idiots who made the tweets are just as dumb. This is a stupid thing for anyone to be paying attention to.

Snooki is brown now? Wow....

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

To say something like the character being cast as black ruining your movie experience is pretty over the top.

Also, snookie is orange. I would not consider her skin dark brown.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I actually missed that part about Rue in the book, but for some reason Cinna always looked like Lenny Kravitz does in the movie in my head. Solid casting I'd say.

Edit: for the record, because I missed the Rue part in my head she was of Asian descent. With black hair. No idea why.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Read book fast -> skim over the three word description. That seems like a reasonable thing that could happen.

Most of those are despicable. But I don't think saying "I realized Rue was black. Whaaa?" is particularly deplorable.

ok, if you skimmed and didn't notice the description, why would you assume white? And yes, that's the least offensive one but it's still pretty pathetic/embarrassing.

2th

Banned
To say something like the character being cast as black ruining your movie experience is pretty over the top.

Also, snookie is orange. I would not consider her skin dark brown.

Not disagreeing with you about the over the top comments, but if you actually read all those tweet, specifically the third on on the top. Woman did not realize Rue was black. Guess she must be a racist.

Also orange? if that is the label you want to give her, but put a color palette up to her and she is more brown than orange i would say.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
For example in the Thor film Hiemdall was played by a black guy, but in the comics he is norse (white) and honestly i wish they had stayed true to the comics.

I will say however, i did not mind Idris Elba's performance but i still wish they stayed true to the comics. Does that mean i am racist?

In the film, the Asgardians aren't Norse gods, they're super advanced beings from another dimension. Therefore, I had no problem with Heimdall being black.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Your original point was the exact opposite of saying "this is stupid to pay attention to"--it was that you personally experienced a weird moment when a white role was cast black and you thought this was a comparable situation. At this point you specifically separated the obviously racist n-bomb tweet from the others, which you considered fair game.

When you were then told that this was not a white role cast black, you inexplicably argued that "dark brown" could mean a tan white person (and as people are pointing out, you inaccurately identified her ethnicity, but presumably you posted her to imply she was a tan white person), and so it would still be natural for people to be surprised for a role described as "dark brown" to be cast black.

You were then reminded again that "dark brown" has a certain implication, and then you claimed your point was to "play devil's advocate" and that it's a "stupid thing for anyone to [pay] attention to".

People are outraged that a character isn't white, and you post a non white person to prove Dark brown skin can mean a white person with a tan?

Devil's advocate? You're just trolling.

Kurtofan

This is like Thor all over again.Minorities are barely represented as it is and they whine because a character isn't white!

I want to know all these movies where the best characters are casted as Black.

Exactly I mean come on, it couldn't be more obvious if they said dark skinned and hailed from Uganda.

She mentions they are dark-skinned in the books too. I just don't remember if it was in the first book. And they pick cotton, wheat, and fruit! Its so blatant.

suzu

I would describe Snooki as tanned. Or an oompa loompa.

Even if the character doesn't look quite the way you imagined in your head, to be so opposed to the character being black in the movie is stupid (and racist going by some of those tweets).

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
People are outraged that a character isn't white, and you post a non white person to prove Dark brown skin can mean a white person with a tan?

Devil's advocate? You're just trolling.

Actually, Snooki is part Native American (she was born in Chile), hence the dark skin.

I wonder how many people shared the same sentiments but wouldn't share them because they know how racist they are for this stupid shit.

I forgot/breezed over the description of Rue in the book, and in my mind had her looking like Prim, since there are repreated references to how much she reminds Katniss of Prim.

OTOH, I had zero issues with the casting, even when I (wrongly) thought they had changed her skin color.

I was skeptial about Lenny Kravitz though, since I only know his music, but he was great.

The casting overall was fantastic.

charsace

Who the hell uses dark brown skin to describe white people? And the main actress(who is one of my favorites) looks nothing like character described in the book. I thought she was supposed to be mixed race based on how her and her parents are described in the book.

From Gawker:

On page 45 of Suzanne Collins's book, Katniss sees Rue for the first time:

Later, she sees Thresh:

Sounds like making them black doesn't violate what the author says about them. They expected "Dark brown skinned" white people? They exist but, forgive my ignorance, isn't the book about people under some sort of totalitarian facism? It would make sense that most white people wouldn't have time to tan. From the trailer it seems to be set somewhere where a sunny day is hard to come by.

they expected Taylor Lautner, not Wesley Sniper.

ultron87

ok, if you skimmed and didn't notice the description, why would you assume white? And yes, that's the least offensive one but it's still pretty pathetic/embarrassing.

I haven't read the books but I'm guessing Rue is used to remind Katniss of her sister? So someone could just make the leap that they are similar in appearance including skin color.

Or maybe people just default to whatever their norm is in the absence of a description. Does that make them racist?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This is like Thor all over again.Minorities are barely represented as it is and they whine because a character isn't white!

This is not Thor all over again because Rue and Thresh being black fit the descriptions in the book. The racism in this case is even more disturbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom