• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
snookie is dark brown... that skin is brown. by definition of the color. not the racial/ethnic stuff.

If you dont get the point, im playing devils advocate and that the people decrying the idiots who made the tweets are just as dumb. This is a stupid thing for anyone to be paying attention to.

pretty sure that's orange.

akira28

snookie is dark brown... that skin is brown. by definition of the color. not the racial/ethnic stuff.

If you dont get the point, im playing devils advocate and that the people decrying the idiots who made the tweets are just as dumb.

I think the Devil has enough advocates here on GAF these recent days past. You don't really have to set up a shingle.

The only other kind of person I think of when I think "dark skin" would probably be someone of strong Native American descent.

People that have had a tan are usually called just that: people that have had a tan. I think the book would have specified as such if they wanted someone that tanned in the sun instead of having naturally dark skin.

3N16MA

Banned
Snooki might be considered dark skinned in comparison to someone who is pale but when compared to all the different skin tones around the world she is not dark skinned.

JDSN

Banned
OMG DARK SKIN!!!!!!
wenn_snooki2.jpg

Point is that "dark skin" is vague and can mean anything from a horrible jersey shore tan to the darkest black you can think of.

Edit: For better comparison here is Lily Cole. Pretty much EVERYTHING is darker than her.
Lily-Cole.jpg

Hahaha I love blatant damage control.

Koodo

Banned
The problem is not even that they read wrong; that's an honest mistake.

The problem is that they see these characters being black as a bad thing. "All the good characters are black." Um. "EWW, rue is black." OK THEN.

TheOddOne

I could care less about casting a white or black person for a specific role in a fictional movie. If it is based on a real story, then yes I would argue that race matters (in context of the role). Eventually all that matters is the performance and this day and age that is the only thing that should matter.

This all reminds me of the casting of Mos Def as Ford Prefect in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Huge uproar for nothing, Def played the role wonderfully.

GamerSoul

Bullshit. Black or not she was casted cuter than Katniss's sister really lol and (Don't read if you plan to read/watch the book/movie)
it was sad as fuck when she died :( seriously

My gf said the same thing but it was no where near racist levels. I think it worked well and it made the world they created more realistic and dynamic.

Arcteryx

they expected Taylor Lautner, not Wesley Sniper.

It's a book...vs a movie. This stuff changes ALL the time.

Just goes to show how dumb these "kids" are, not only for the racist remarks, but also for putting them alongside publicly identifiable information. Have fun getting a job in X number of years after they search for you on Google.

charsace

I haven't read the books but I'm guessing Rue is used to remind Katniss of her sister? So someone could just make the leap that they are similar in appearance including skin color.

Or maybe people just default to whatever their norm is in the absence of a description. Does that make them racist?

"Dark brown skin and eyes," should be enough to tell someone that the character is ethnic. And comes from a farming district. And the main character in the book sounds more like a person that is mixed race than white. The only person in the main character's family you can definitely identify as being white is the mother.

Socreges

Banned
Half of those tweets are racist and indefensible. The other half are clearly from people that interpreted "dark brown skin" as something less or just missed the description. There's nothing wrong with saying "I didn't imagine the character as black and am surprised", especially when we're not accustomed to having black people described in that way.

I thought Rue and Thresh were black. How could they have missed that part?

I missed it. When they are going through all the tributes, it wasn't like I was aking notes, and the later comparicons to her sister are probably why I didn't catch it. As mentioned on the other thread, I pictured Katniss as somewhat middle-eastern looking.

I could care less about casting a white or black person for a specific role in a fictional movie. If it is based on a real story, then yes I would argue that race matters (in context of the role). Eventually all that matters is the performance and this day and age that is the only thing that should matter.

This all reminds me of the casting of Mos Def as Ford Prefect in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Huge uproar for nothing, Def played the role wonderfully.

Well, his skin color wasn't a problem, but he was nowhere near as cool, unflappable and together as Ford was in the books.

Now that I think about it, I was a little upset by Rue's casting as well.

Because the girl they picked is adorable and I knew watching her die would make me sad :(

2th

Banned
Your original point was the exact opposite of saying "this is stupid to pay attention to"--it was that you personally experienced a weird moment when a white role was cast black and you thought this was a comparable situation. At this point you specifically separated the obviously racist n-bomb tweet from the others, which you considered fair game.

When you were then told that this was not a white role cast black, you inexplicably argued that "dark brown" could mean a tan white person (and as people are pointing out, you inaccurately identified her ethnicity, but presumably you posted her to imply she was a tan white person), and so it would still be natural for people to be surprised for a role described as "dark brown" to be cast black.

You were then reminded again that "dark brown" has a certain implication, and then you claimed your point was to "play devil's advocate" and that it's a "stupid thing for anyone to [pay] attention to".
Just for you Stump.

You missed it all then. The original post was, and i will spell it out entirely "that maybe not every single person who posted one of those tweets isnt a racist. furthermore, just because you dont agree with a casting decision doesnt make you a racist."

And dark brown can mean a tanned white person. I could bring out a color palette and everything if you want, but tan is closer to brown than it is orange. You know it. I know it. Anyone who isnt color blind knows it. I was using hyperbole in the case of Snookie because technically she has "dark brown skin" in that picture. It is all a matter of perception. Her skin is darker than mine, than that of Lily Cole, and darker than that of plenty of people. Given the bookes description of Rue being "Dark brown and "dark skin" there are a myriad of ways that can be interpretted given the diverse colors of the human race. Hell you could even say it is an Indian person if you want to go with technicalities on color.

As for the implications of "dark brown"... It goes back to the beginning. If you think that everyone who made those tweets is a racist then you are as dumb/ignorant as they are. As i pointed out, there are a few tweets that are more ignorance and surprise than flat out racist. So for you to make the jump from "OMG RUE IS BLACK?!?!?" to "OMG IM A RACIST PERSON WHO HATES BLACK PEOPLE" is pretty ignorant. You are judging based of a single excerpt. Not exactly the smartest thing a person can do there right? And since everyone here seems to be jumping on the "OMG THESE PEOPLE ARE RACIST" bandwagon, which is usually the case of these threads, i may as well have some fun pointing out that there are always two sides to every story.

Kusagari

I haven't read the books but I'm guessing Rue is used to remind Katniss of her sister? So someone could just make the leap that they are similar in appearance including skin color.

Or maybe people just default to whatever their norm is in the absence of a description. Does that make them racist?

The book specifically says that Rue reminds Katniss of her sister in everything BUT her skin color.

Just for you Stump.

You missed it all then. The original post was, and i will spell it out entirely "that maybe not every single person who posted one of those tweets isnt a racist. furthermore, just because you dont agree with a casting decision doesnt make you a racist."

And dark brown can mean a tanned white person. I could bring out a color palette and everything if you want, but tan is closer to brown than it is orange. You know it. I know it. Anyone who isnt color blind knows it. I was using hyperbole in the case of Snookie because technically she has "dark brown skin" in that picture. It is all a matter of perception. Her skin is darker than mine, than that of Lily Cole, and darker than that of plenty of people. Given the bookes description of Rue being "Dark brown and "dark skin" there are a myriad of ways that can be interpretted given the diverse colors of the human race. Hell you could even say it is an Indian person if you want to go with technicalities on color.

As for the implications of "dark brown"... It goes back to the beginning. If you think that everyone who made those tweets is a racist then you are as dumb/ignorant as they are. As i pointed out, there are a few tweets that are more ignorance and surprise than flat out racist. So for you to make the jump from "OMG RUE IS BLACK?!?!?" to "OMG IM A RACIST PERSON WHO HATES BLACK PEOPLE" is pretty ignorant. You are judging based of a single excerpt. Not exactly the smartest thing a person can do there right? And since everyone here seems to be jumping on the "OMG THESE PEOPLE ARE RACIST" bandwagon, which is usually the case of these threads, i may as well have some fun pointing out that there are always two sides to every story.

When spend all this energy pointing out that a couple of those might not be racist? It's pretty clear that most of them are.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just for you Stump.

You are right man. We live in a postracial world. What was I thinking. Shut this thread down.

Not all of the tweets are racist.

bengraven

Not shocking. Some people just have a very hard time identifying with any other human being that doesn't have the same amount of melanin in their skin as they do.....

If only things were so easy. I know where you're coming from.

That's exactly what I plan on teaching my kid. "oh he just has a bit of extra melatonin in his body...no big deal, he's just liek everyone else".

Is this what all the fuss is about? This?

Tribute_D11_Female.jpg

WHAT AN ABOMINATION...of cuteness.

God, I can't see this movie. Fuck that. I don't want to see a certain part.

ultron87

"Dark brown skin and eyes," should be enough to tell someone that the character is ethnic. And comes from a farming district. And the main character in the book sounds more like a person that is mixed race than white. The only person in the main character's family you can definitely identify as being white is the mother.

The book specifically says that Rue reminds Katniss of her sister in everything BUT her skin color.

My post was with the assumption that the person skimmed over and/or disregarded the three word description of her skin color. As someone who does a lot of skimming in books I can totally understand this. I have pictured characters in books as entirely different ages, heights and weights and probably even skin color than what they are actually described on their initial introduction.

The people that are like "it ruined the movie" and/or far worse things are horrible people that deserve every ounce of scorn and condemnation the Internet can throw at them.

The people who are just like "Oh, she's black. This surprises me." don't really deserve to be presented on the same level. Would it be better if they felt that this was not even worth mentioning as it doesn't really change anything about the character? Certainly.

Socreges

Banned
Just for you Stump.

The argument you're making now is a lot more reasonable than your first few posts, which were full of derp.

2th said:
yes the last tweet is racist but the rest arent that bad.
It's not just the last tweet.

And the Thor comparison demonstrated that you didn't understand what was going on at all.

JGS

Banned
Thresh & Rue are exactly how I imagined them except Thresh should be bigger.

I agree about Cinna. I imagined him to look like that one vampire (Godric?) in True Blood.

Socreges

Banned
Every single one of those tweets are racist. Some try to be nicer in how they say things. Doesn't change the fact that they are racist.
No.

"EWWW rue is black?? I'm not watching" = racist
"nah, i just pictured darker skin. didn't take it all the way to black" = not racist

Every single one of those tweets are racist. Some try to be nicer in how they say things. Doesn't change the fact that they are racist.

No. Putting them alongside the racist ones make the ambiguous ones seem racist.

As I noted, I pictured Rue as white, and I'm not a racist. I'm a careless, quick reader (particualrly when the prose doesn't demand much).

The ones complaining about the casting vary from probably racist to overtly racist, but many of those are only expressing surprise. I was surprised, too.

Onemic

Just for you Stump.

So if I told you that someone was dark brown you would think of them as a tanned white person? really? google search dark brown or dark brown skin and tell me the results you get. I mean it would be a lot more believable if you said someone could think a dark brown skinned person was of south asian descent(since a lot of people regard them as being 'brown') but tanned white person? Really?

2th

Banned
The argument you're making now is a lot more reasonable than your first few posts.

It's not just the last tweet.

And the Thor comparison demonstrated that you didn't understand what was going on at all.

There are 10 tweets in the picture in the OP. I count 4 of them are not being racist so much as surprise or just having a different opinion the the casting. specifically

"after watching the hunger games preview 6 times in a row i realized Rue is black. whaaaaat? #shocked"

"to all my hunger games readers out there: did anyone picture rue as being black? No offense but i just didnt see her like that"

"i imagined her white"

"nah i pictured darker skin, didnt really take it all the way to black"

so we have 40% of the tweets used in the OP right there. There is nothing overtly racist about any of those posts. NOTHING.

First tweet: Woman is shocked. Not racists
Second tweet: It is her imagination. Who are you to tell anyone how they are to imagine something?
Third tweet: Same as the second
Fourth tweet: same as the second and third

Let us use God as an example. To some it is a he. To some it is a she. To some it is a flying spaghetti monster. God has been played by so many different actors and creatures (thank you South Park) that no one depiction will satisfy everyone's imagined view of God. So how is a few people saying "hey that isnt what i imagined" even remotely racist?

Plasmid

I read the first book before seeing the trailer's, but i assumed Rue and her opposite tribute were both black for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom