• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Racist Hunger Games Fans Are Very Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
there may be but their isnt evidence info to determine either way. Id rather take it for what it is, a silly ignorant comment, than attach some deeper meaning to fuel my argument. You know, innocent until proven guilty[/QUOTE]

I mean this is probably true a lot more then it is wrong. I'm not sure if these posts really reflect these people exactly. They probably don't and people say stupid things on the internet, especially teenagers, which I assume the posters are. But then again, maybe that's when who you really are comes out, when your uncensored. I think people play the racism card a bit too much and too quickly, but who you know who knows? In the end I guess people do need to be careful what they say even if it is "their" internet page.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Oh god, she's so hot. I really only want to see the movie because of her...

..but she looks strange in the movie. Maybe its the hair.
I love her too.

I disliked her brown hair though. Would have preferred if they just kept her original blonde hair.

zJWpk.jpg

I thought the quote from the original blog was pretty good:

Here's what scares me…

All these… people… read the Hunger Games. Clearly, they all fell in love with and cared about Rue. Though what they really fell in love with was an image of Rue that they'd created in their minds. A girl that they knew they could love and adore
and mourn at the thought of knowing that she's been brutally killed.

And then the casting is revealed (or they go see the movie) and they're shocked to see that Rue is black. Now… this is so much more than, "Oh, she's bigger than I thought". The reactions are all based on feelings of disgust.

These people are MAD that the girl that they cried over while reading the book was "some black girl" all along. So now they're angry. Wasted tears, wasted emotions. It's sad to think that had they known that she was black all along,
there would have been [no] sorrow or sadness over her death.

There are MAJOR TIE-INS to these reactions and the injustices that we see around the world today. I don't even need to spell it out because I know that you're all a smart bunch.

This is a BIG problem. Think of all the murdered children. Think of all the missing children that get NO SCREEN TIME on the news.

It is NOT a coincidence.

THIS is the purpose of my blog… and to also point out shitty reading comprehension. LOL

snookie is dark brown... that skin is brown. by definition of the color. not the racial/ethnic stuff.

If you dont get the point, im playing devils advocate and that the people decrying the idiots who made the tweets are just as dumb. This is a stupid thing for anyone to be paying attention to.

Pointing out racism makes me just as dumb as racists? What a pathetic argument. Remaining silent on racism only allows it to fester and grow. Challenging racism wherever you see it is the only way to change a culture in which racism is so firmly ingrained.

Ploid 3.0

Welp, I'm done being black on this planet.

They are just jealous of us. Think of it like that. Some can't have the amount of sun protecting melanin we have so they rage. Then you just feel sorry for them acting so stupid.

Damn. Well maybe it's the author's fault. She doesn't know how to write for a black girl!

Yep, just googled her. She is as white as they come! It's her fault. She needs to learn how to write better.

How does a black girl act different than any other girl? We're not given roles to play when we're born you know. The environment you grow up in has more to do with your character than your genetics.

seat

But there were plenty of audience members who were "shocked," or confused, or just plain angry.

Is this really "plenty of audience members", or just several racists and ignorant children who have access to Twitter accounts?

Most of those are definitely racist, but from the description of 'dark brown skin,' I can see why some people might be surprised.
When I read a book, I make up a really good image of how the characters look. And then when I see a movie or cartoon or something I am typically surprised because they don't match up.

As it has been said, people can interpret 'dark brown skin' different. My wife is filipina and though the would kill me if she heard me say it (since she wishes she was white and everything), I consider her skin dark brown. She's not black though.
I can understand the "Whoa, I didn't see that coming!" comments.

The people who are like "What, she's black? Fuck that movie" though? They can go to hell.

is your wife's skin darker than ... oh, let's just say Alicia Keys?

then she has dark brown skin... but tell her not to worry, at least she's not a black!

EYEL1NER

I guess it's because Filipinos are the equivalent of black people in Asia. It's strange how racist some asians are toward filipino's simply because they are darker.

Oh okay. I thought you were saying there was something wrong with my post.
Yeah, there is something wrong with it. It's weird to experience too. My wife will freak out about being in the sun too long and how she is going to get darker and I'm like "Whatever! Get darker, I really don't care what color your skin is. Your beautiful."
But nothing I can say can override that 'white=beautiful, dark=panget (ugly)' bit that gets instilled in some of them.

And they are ostracized a fair bit everywhere. And they are everywhere because of needing to go abroad to work. I've heard some bad stories from some who have worked in the Middle East.
I think it was The Onion who called them the 'Mexicans of Asia.'

is your wife's skin darker than ... oh, let's just say Alicia Keys?

then she has dark brown skin... but tell her not to worry, at least she's not a black!
Depending on the time of year she can be a bit darker than Alicia Keys. For the majority of the year, not the summer months, she is lighter.

2th

Banned
I wish he would answer this question. IMO the actress who played the part isn't even DARK BROWN.

I could post 100 different pictures with 100 different people with 100 different complexions but i think it is easier to say something like "it is usually a shade of brown" emphasis on the shade part sense there are a myriad of different shades. and no one answer is correct.

I could post 100 different pictures with 100 different people with 100 different complexions but i think it is easier to say something like "it is usually a shade of brown" emphasis on the shade part sense there are a myriad of different shades. and no one answer is correct.

when you say brown, do you mean brown or orange?

Onemic

Damn. Well maybe it's the author's fault. She doesn't know how to write for a black girl!

Yep, just googled her. She is as white as they come! It's her fault. She needs to learn how to write better.

I hope you're being sarcastic, I really do.

The color dark brown isn't as subjective as you are making it out to be. If your sense of color is so off that Snookie is dark brown I can see how you would fit into the group of people in the OP.

Ploid 3.0

How does one write for a black girl? Is their something beyond skin that makes someone a black person?

Maybe you were being sarcastic, but..

Some people that I've known for years (only online) couldn't believe I was black when I showed them a picture. Met them in a mmorpg and had nearly daily conversations with them. They expect me to like rap, bling, drugs (they are the ones that use drugs actually), and all the stereotypes given to us (maybe a criminal mentality too). You can't judge a book by it's cover.

2th

Banned
The color dark brown isn't as subjective as you are making it out to be. If your sense of color is so off that Snookie is dark brown I can see how you would fit into the group of people in the OP.

maybe you are too blinded by race and automatically think that dark brown means black?

it is all about perception. snookie is a brown. it certainly isnt a white or orange. now she isnt black. but her skin color in that picture i posted is most certainly brown.

seems more sexist than racist, but thats just me. I not trying to fill in the blanks.
because its unheard of to use the term bitch when referring to a woman

"that black girl is one hot bitch"

"excuse me sir but thats racist"

"and your also a pedophile"

lol
This is so dumb. These 2 posts are so incredibly stupid. Do you think the guy tweeting didn't know that Rue was a girl? Do you think his anger and calling her a "bitch" in the context of the tweet was from the fact that she's a girl or because she's black?

And I'm not even the first person to say this to you; you're being intentionally obtuse.
OmBK1.png

And no i am not being literal here and saying these are the only colors. it is just an example. nothing more than that.
You're a freaking awful poster.

Gaf is so depressing sometimes.

Of course, it's not as depressing as Twitter or the rest of the net. But man...this stuff gets to ya.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wow I am a bit shocked at all of this. I've read all 3 books and always pictured Thresh and Rue as Black. Going to the movie I was more worried about Woody Harrison as Haymitch as I pictured him old and fat, yet Harrison made the character shine.

This is so dumb. These 2 posts are so incredible stupid. Do you think the guy tweeting didn't know that Rue was a girl? Do you think his anger and calling her a "bitch" in the context of the tweet was from the fact that she's a girl or because she's black?

And I'm not even the first person to say this to you; you're being intentionally obtuse.

Who is to say there is any anger attached to the word bitch at all. You act like millions of people dont talk this way in everyday life devoid of attached emotion.

maybe you are too blinded by race and automatically think that dark brown means black?

it is all about perception. snookie is a brown. it certainly isnt a white or orange. now she isnt black. but her skin color in that picture i posted is most certainly brown.

Damn that.

Back to the beginning. I don't want to misunderstand so perhaps you could clarify. You said:

yes the last tweet is racist but the rest arent that bad.

So "EWW rue is black?? I'm not watching" isn't that bad? Right? Wrong? Is that how it goes it Tennessee? Genuinely curious.

Ricky_R

not all of them though. only a few of the 10 tweets in the OP of this thread are overtly racist. there are a few that are more shock/surprised that the character is not what they had imagined.

My question is why would people be shocked/surprised that the character is not what they had imagined when the girl that plays Rue has the same skin color that the book describes? Most, if not all, of the remarks are mostly about her being black or her skin being black, not because they had a "Pocahontas looking" girl in mind.

It's ok to be surprised if there was no mention of her skin color, but it's clearly described in the book. I don't understand how can somebody be shocked about it unless they have other reasons.

The color brown is a defined color. Whatever perception you have is an incorrect one. Snooky is no where close to the color dark brown.

m.jpg

What people are saying is disappointing, sad, stomach-churning, and just plain racist.

Piss off.

I didn't see anything stomach-churning. What a bunch of sensationalist bullshit.

"Sense when has Rue been a nigger" (spelling and punctuation unchanged)

"Kk call me racist but when I found out Rue was black
her death wasn't as sad.
"

Dark brown means dark brown.

Perhaps the author should of used the word coloured......

Maybe that is more to your liking...

LM4sure

Banned
For the record, I was being sarcastic.

But this whole thing is not a big deal. Just some shitty website trying to make it into a big deal. Rue is black. I thought she was white. So what? At the end of the day it doesn't matter. The book was not overly specific in the fact that Rue was intended to be black. I can understand why many other people are surprised. It doesn't make them racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom