• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Free Nintendo | A Nintendo Podcast for Grownups

llehuty

It's a fair question. I think we had room to be more bombastic than we were, and I'm okay with that. To be clear, this is disappointing. The silence is deafening right now, even if its justifiable by internal forces that are hidden from us.

At the same time, we all had some time to digest the news, which helped remove some of the bile. We weren't reacting emotionally anymore, and it was more analytical. I think some of it is resignation, which is depressing and I think we desired to move beyond that feeling. Last week's email reaction is something we don't normally do - we tend to go after questions rather than comments. However, the inbox showed our listeners had a lot to say; and we only got through about half of the emails I wanted to include.

Some of how depressing this is for me, and my desire to not cover it directly, it is pure selfishness: at this point I need to come up with content for a weekly podcast for the next 10 months. It's not like this impacts anyone but me, but I'm legit worried about what to do with the show.

Hmmm, that's actually a very good point. I guess you could do some soft retroactive kind of content, so you guys some games to talk about, with the occasional comments on eShop stuff or #FE. 3DS lineup is still in shape for the rest of the year, and Wii U stuff could be replaced by NX info, once poper leaks and information starts to drop.

It's a fair question. I think we had room to be more bombastic than we were, and I'm okay with that. To be clear, this is disappointing. The silence is deafening right now, even if its justifiable by internal forces that are hidden from us.

At the same time, we all had some time to digest the news, which helped remove some of the bile. We weren't reacting emotionally anymore, and it was more analytical. I think some of it is resignation, which is depressing and I think we desired to move beyond that feeling. Last week's email reaction is something we don't normally do - we tend to go after questions rather than comments. However, the inbox showed our listeners had a lot to say; and we only got through about half of the emails I wanted to include.

I hear all that. That's why I made the joke about you guys acting like mentally healthy people. I guess I feel like you guys are the most interesting platform for focused Nintendo discussion these days, and have been throughout the Wii U era. So when bombs this atomic get dropped, having six ongoing 53 page NeoGAF threads about it but not a more extended discussion in RFN feels off.

But hey, do what you gotta do.

Some of how depressing this is for me, and my desire to not cover it directly, it is pure selfishness: at this point I need to come up with content for a weekly podcast for the next 10 months. It's not like this impacts anyone but me, but I'm legit worried about what to do with the show.

Hey, if Retronauts can make it, so can you!

I'm sure 3DS will provide enough grist for the mill though.

Ondore

Ten years ago, people ran like madmen toward the Wii, and a little podcast was born.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/42713/episode-476-why-is-this-in-audio-form
Episode 476 "Why Is This In Audio Form?" said:
It's been ten years since the date of our first podcast recording. Although we aren't really inclined to make a big deal about this anniversary, we start the show with an amusing look at what podcasting was in 2006. For a big blowout, stay tuned for Episode 500.

New Business starts with James tapping into his Summer of 2 Hot 4 Games emergency rations a bit early, with the 2006-appropriate Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2. Can six overly-enthusiastic cheerleaders counter the death of the Sun? Only if you believe. Meanwhile, Guillaume has discovered that he has a crippling gambling addiction. He starts with his newest obsession, card game/horse racing hybrid Pocket Card Jockey. Greg and James seem more interested in naming his horses for him. He then has thoughts on Pinball Arcade, now available on Wii U, and once again James and Greg seem more interested in naming pinball tables. Greg has our second import DS title of the week, with Ganbare Goemon: Tōkai Dōchū Ōedo Tengu ri Kaeshi no Maki. Before Konami betrayed us all, and after Konami realized their mistake in trying to make a "serious" Goemon game, we received this final entry in the series. It's a fitting eulogy for a hero, executed by his tyrannical lord.

After a break, it's time for Listener Mail! Topics covered include using games to cure insomnia, publishing on NX in 2017, Nintendo's Big Three, and retirement. You can ask us to quit via our inbox.

We are two weeks out from our RetroActive on Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. It's not too late to get involved! Get started playing now, and post your thoughts in the talkback thread.

Thanks to Connor for our new album art!

This episode was edited by James Jones. The "Men of Leisure" theme song was produced exclusively for Radio Free Nintendo by Perry Burkum. Hear more at Bluffs Custom Music.

Time: 2'05"59
Downloads: MP3 | AAC
Outro music: Super Smash Bros Brawl - Main Theme
In ten years: I don't think New Business has ever been *this* Japanese.

leroidys

I always enjoy your guys' inside baseball stuff. I would totally listen to a podcast that was only industry analysis, both current and historical.

Some other ideas-

*Wii U retrospective. Important games, what will be remembered, what went wrong, what went right, etc.

*Wonderful 101! IIRC nobody really gave this game much time. I would be really interested in hearing some talk on it, especially after the Viewtiful Joe retroactive, and the recent release of Starfox. The game is certainly not perfect, but I think that it will end up being one of the biggest pillars of the Wii U's legacy, assuming that newer, bigger, better versions of MK, Smash and Splatoon are inevitabilities. Like Starfox, I found the entire first playthrough to largely function as the tutorial.

*Predictions. Everyone loves predictions. Especially the RFN crew, right?

*Themed episodes. Radio Free Sega guestshow? Radio Free Capcom?

*NFL predictions. I actually loved these episodes. Don't know how they went over with the audience at large. MLB would also be great.

*Hidden gems and imports

Just throwing some stuff out there. The only thing I would say to avoid is spending 30 minutes talking about an eshop game that nobody likes and nobody has ever heard of :)

Katsuragi

I'd love to listen to more import, hidden gems and retro talk on the show. I thoroughly enjoyed Greg's segment about the Goemon DS game, for example. James' thoughts about Ouendan were not only very entertaining but also made me want to give my copy of the game another shot (stopped playing it because of the difficulty spike).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh cool, they talk about the DS Goemon game? I really want to go back & play the N64 ones, but physical copies are hard to find & a tad expensive, and they sadly most likely won't get re-released on the VC.

Also good timing to talk about Ouendan 2 not long after the fact they mentioned they'd love to work on Ouendan 3.............which if it's on NX, WON'T BE REGION LOCKED.

I was one of those people who played all three of the Ouendan/EBA games and the comment about why the music choices on EBA felt off completely blew my mind. I had been trying to put my finger on why it didn't feel as good playing EBA vs either of the Ouendans - it's the beat.

The Ouendans had subtly trained my brain to touch in time with certain drum beats, but these were played or mixed much quieter in EBA for a lot of songs than in the original. Survivor especially felt wrong all the way through, whereas Jumpin' Jack Flash felt like a return to form.

Just as an aside - the final songs of every one of these games was the very definition of epic. The excitement you felt as you finally cracked that last bit was like being a kid again. The scenario was ridiculous, of course, with alien invasions and the sun going out, but you were right there with the cheering crowds, chanting all over the world for these cheerleading heroes as they come back from the brink of defeat and save the day. So satisfying the first time you do it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ouendan as one of their phone games with a free to start model makes too much sense.
Damn, this makes a ton of sense now that you mention it.

Also, as great as the first final song was, it was a PAIN having to restart it & then having to CONSTANTLY REWATCH the 30-second intro EACH AND EVERY SINGLE DAMN TIME. So glad they included a skip feature in EBA & Ouendan 2.

Crimm

I was thinking about a mobile Ouendan while I was played it. I think you could make it work, with some challenges (below). I think the larger issue in play is business-related. Their investors are, for whatever reason, completely hung-up on the mobile game featuring their big franchises. Without Fire Emblem Awakening, the upcoming Fire Emblem Mobile would be unthinkable to them. If we get around to a third or fourth generation of Nintendo/DeNA partnered games then I think you could start to see these middle-card franchises show up.

There are some format challenges on mobile, although they're totally surmountable.

* Making sure you finger doesn't block your view, since it is bigger than a stylus
* Making sure you don't have to be as exacting (for the same reason)
* Splitting a single screen (not a huge deal)
* Wildly varying screen sizes on mobile devices

The last one is the biggest hurdle. Just playing it on the DSi XL was a hugely different experience. Now imagine having to make game that works as well on a 4" iPhone 5s as it does on a 5.7" Note 7, and lord help you if you try to make it work in the tablet space too.

Additionally, they'd have to get music licenses either world-wide or produce region-appropriate soundtracks. Also solvable, but work all the same.

Ondore

Time to unleash... the funk.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/42729/episode-477-this-particular-breed-of-funk
Episode 477 "This Particular Breed of Funk" said:
Radio Free Nintendo has its full complement of players this week; if only we all had cool things to talk about. Greg, a long-time fan of the Mario & Luigi series, doubles-back to Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros. For whatever reason, outside of Europe, the game is simply called "Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam." In a strange sense, it's unclear which region has the bad name; there's only one paper character (making the "Bros." moniker ill-fitting), but the lack of "Bros." may indicate that Nintendo of America hates fraternity. Greg likes the game, but that's significantly less important information. Guillaume remains unable to escape the tendrils of Pocket Card Jockey, presumably still giving his horses terribly offensive names that shame us all. He does manage to find time to re-play Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 3D, the PC version of the N64 classic. Listen as his precious memories are shattered by the realization that as a younger man he was more willing to forgive a game its sins. Jon is selling himself on eBay, but he also found time to promote his unloading of his Complete in Box GBA collection. If you ever wanted to hear people dissect eBay listings, then we have finally produced your ideal segment. James concludes New Business with a look at Radiohammer, a Korean-developed mobile rhythm game ported to 3DS. An otherwise good game is harmed by a series of mistakes that seem totally unthinkable.

Listener Mail quickly descends into madness. Topics include: game developers making their games for podcasters, licensed nonsense, and forced retirement of Nintendo characters. Corey is definitely in the House this week, and you can send a question to our house via the inbox.

We are going to delay our RetroActive for Castlevania: Rondo of Blood by a week. We just won't be ready next week, so now you have some more time to get involved. Post your thoughts in the talkback thread. We will be doing our segment on Episode 479.

Time: 1'47"00
Outro: Paper Mario - Raphael the Raven's Theme
Current victims of forced retirement: Falcon, Samus

Ondore

Last call for Rondo of Blood comments
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/42754/episode-478-the-word-youre-looking-for-is-abomination
Episode 478 "The Word You're Looking For Is Abomination" said:
E3 is mere weeks away, and RFN is largely ambivalent. With little to do in the way of predictions ("They're going to show a new Zelda game!"), and a one week delay of the previously-scheduled RetroActive, this week's episode is a traditional serving of Radio Free Nintendo.

As such, Greg kicks off New Business with some concluding thoughts on Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam [Bros.], before moving on to Ultimate NES Remix. The price curve for this strangely retail-only remix of previously remixed, previously digital-only games finally dipped under The Greg Leahy Buy Threshold (we're trying to find a catchier name along the lines of "Mendoza Line"). As one would expect, he's found playing these portable-sized games on a portable device to provide fitting enjoyment. Jon has hands-on impressions of the new arena shooter everyone is talking about, Blizzard's Overwatch. Early impressions are positive, if you can trust the impressions of a controller-using plebeian. Guillaume's foray into the dark annals of "licensed Star Wars games that lived in the shadows of a more successful N64 title" continues this week, with impressions of Star Wars Racer Revenge. The PS2 sequel to Star Wars Episode I: Racer proves fun, despite the Star Wars trappings not adding much to the experience. James rounds out New Business with concluding thoughts on Bravely Second: End Layer (and an apology for evoking Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World) before segueing into his feature topic: Crisis in the Land of Run-and-Shoot-Man. Mighty No. 9 looks stupid, the new Mega Man cartoon looks horrifying, and fans of the Blue Bomber are left in tears. James tries to find solace in the arm-cannons of 3DS eShop titles with a double dose of Anime Happenings: The Legend of Dark Witch and 3D Gunstar Heroes.

After the break it's Listener Mail. This week we discuss: if Nintendo's next mobile app "needs" to be a game and if it must feature mascot characters, why the NX must be a portable and console system, our console identities, and why Indies are often omitted in conversations about Nintendo's third-party relationships. You can be our Amiga CD32 mascot platformer by sending us an email.

Next week, it's finally time to slay Dracula. Again. We will be doing our RetroActive on Castlevania: Rondo of Blood for the TurboGrafx-16. There are still a few days left for you to post your comments in the talkback thread for possible use on the show.

Time: 2'04"01
Outro: Holy Spring - Opoona
The Greg Leahy Buy Threshold: Roughly equivalent to one Something Awful ($10)?

I finally killed Dracula this morning. After the incredibly difficult fight against Ghost Shaft, it just seemed anticlimactic. He seems to have the same attack patterns as he does in the prologue of SotN, which made killing him a snap. I didn't even need to learn his pattern.

Mind you, I beat him with Maria, so I didn't get the grimdark ending you no doubt get with Richter. Still, seeing as I played the majority of the game with her and it's straight-up more fun, her ending is the canon one as far as I'm concerned.

I also *finally* unlocked Level 5' as well. It's an absolute nightmare, I have to say. The invisible bats have come back with a vengeance, along with precise platforming utilising the dodgy physics of the game, so the level is driving me, well, batty.

I'll try to finish Level 5' before I call it quits and *maybe* try to kill Drac using Richter, but I am 90% done with this game. Having gained this experience with the original, I'll have to go back and beat the remake now, which is something I never did when I first got this nearly two years ago. I'll have to see how different it is.

Since I know this is the culmination of the Classicvania formula, I can appreciate it for what it is and for what it contributed to later games in the series, especially SotN and Eclessia. Branching paths, hidden secrets, a primarily magic-based character - these all contributed to making the IGAvania games great. Still, I'm glad the series shed some of the elements found here.

Overall, I can't help but feel that the move away from slow moving juggernauts and over to agile magic users was the right choice to make. It feels as though 2D platforming had moved on from the early Castlevania style "committed jumping" that you see in this game with Super Mario Bros. When Castlevania came out, I could see it having been acceptable because it was still early days, but by Rondo, it had become a quaint throwback to an earlier time. Even the prologue to Symphony shed the stiff jumping and gave Richter better movement options, perhaps sensitive to the fact that his controls were barely acceptable in 1993, let alone 1997. In the end, the iconic whip simply needed to go. Even Harmony of Dissonance and Portrait of Ruin couldn't save it.

The other thing I found annoying were the button combos to backflip. On the PSP d-pad, these were so difficult to pull off and unreliable that I simply stopped using the move and killed enemies using other, more careful methods. I imagine that this was due to a lack of buttons on the PC Engine controller (I actually have no idea - I've never seen one before). The way that later games mapped these to the L and R buttons was a huge improvement. Button combos make fighting games inscrutable to the outsider and they're a bad idea in a platformer, especially one that requires such precise timing.

I'm sure that this was simply due to the PSP port that comes with Castlevania X Chronicles being slapdash affair, but I found that I encountered multiple sound bugs. For instance, putting the system into sleep mode would turn off the music the next time I started up again. It's eerie how lonely some of the levels feel when you don't have that poppy soundtrack in the background enhancing the urgency of your every action. In other cases, I found that certain sound effects were simply missing, especially compared to what you hear on let's play videos on Youtube. It isn't something I ever would have noticed but for the fact that some of the alternate paths and maidens are hidden behind obtuse and counter-intuitive methods. Without the benefit of the playground rumour mill to help me through, the Internet was the only way I could have found some of them.

I don't want people to think that I'm down on the game - I had fun. The locations were varied and often surprising, the gameplay satisfying (as Maria) and the bosses challenging and, for the most part, fair (I'm looking at you, Level 6). It's required reading for anyone who considers themselves a Castlevania fan, especially those who keep voting for Symphony of the Night whenever anyone asks about the "best" game in the series. It is, however, a product that was retrograde even when it was new. The fact that even this was nearly 23 years ago should give a new player some context - be prepared for some rough edges.

Overall, I can't help but feel that the move away from slow moving juggernauts and over to agile magic users was the right choice to make. It feels as though 2D platforming had moved on from the early Castlevania style "committed jumping" that you see in this game with Super Mario Bros. When Castlevania came out, I could see it having been acceptable because it was still early days, but by Rondo, it had become a quaint throwback to an earlier time. Even the prologue to Symphony shed the stiff jumping and gave Richter better movement options, perhaps sensitive to the fact that his controls were barely acceptable in 1993, let alone 1997. In the end, the iconic whip simply needed to go. Even Harmony of Dissonance and Portrait of Ruin couldn't save it.

Eh, I have to heavily disagree on your point about the classic Castlevania fixed jumps. There's really nothing archaic about them - they're a legitimate design choice that force you to carefully consider your positioning and options in every enemy encounter, since you can't freely jump your way out of danger with super-controllable Super Mario World-esque jumps. Limiting the options (involving mobility or otherwise) given to the player to create challenge is absolutely a core part of game design - there is a reason why Mario doesn't have the ability to freely fly anywhere he wants at any time in any given Mario game, or why Spencer in Bionic Commando can't jump and instead has to rely on grappling to get around.

I think the Symphony of the Night comparison is off-base - not just because there is no one-size-fits-all game design choice (restrictive Rondo of Blood Richter would not function well in Symphony of the Night, but Rondo of Blood would not be a particularly enjoyable game if you could take SotN Alucard into it), but because Symphony of the Night is already a very "loose" game anyway, and probably shouldn't be used as a good example of how to design cool or exciting scenarios involving combat. Rondo of Blood (and other older Castlevania games) have levels with carefully-placed enemies meant to challenge your moveset and mobility in specific ways, while Symphony of the Night has enemies sort of haphazardly thrown around who often pose no real threat to Alucard and his massive, incredibly powerful moveset (because SotN, unlike Rondo, doesn't seek to engage the player by creating interesting, exciting battles - instead, it just offers a large, aesthetically-rich world with a large variety of environments and creatures that invite the player to explore it thoroughly and soak up as much content as they can).

Eh, I have to heavily disagree on your point about the classic Castlevania fixed jumps. There's really nothing archaic about them - they're a legitimate design choice that force you to carefully consider your positioning and options in every enemy encounter, since you can't freely jump your way out of danger with super-controllable Super Mario World-esque jumps. Limiting the options (involving mobility or otherwise) given to the player to create challenge is absolutely a core part of game design - there is a reason why Mario doesn't have the ability to freely fly anywhere he wants at any time in any given Mario game, or why Spencer in Bionic Commando can't jump and instead has to rely on grappling to get around.

I think the Symphony of the Night comparison is off-base - not just because there is no one-size-fits-all game design choice (restrictive Rondo of Blood Richter would not function well in Symphony of the Night, but Rondo of Blood would not be a particularly enjoyable game if you could take SotN Alucard into it), but because Symphony of the Night is already a very "loose" game anyway, and probably shouldn't be used as a good example of how to design cool or exciting scenarios involving combat. Rondo of Blood (and other older Castlevania games) have levels with carefully-placed enemies meant to challenge your moveset and mobility in specific ways, while Symphony of the Night has enemies sort of haphazardly thrown around who often pose no real threat to Alucard and his massive, incredibly powerful moveset (because SotN, unlike Rondo, doesn't seek to engage the player by creating interesting, exciting battles - instead, it just offers a large, aesthetically-rich world with a large variety of environments and creatures that invite the player to explore it thoroughly and soak up as much content as they can).
I see where you're coming from,I really do, but moving Richter around simply wasn't fun for me. His momentum-killing attack animation meant that you had to work around it constantly, by jumping and whipping (you can fall and whip but not walk and whip?). Being unable to dodge, if that's what's needed? It made dealing with his limitations stressful for me, to the point where I couldn't enjoy myself.

I feel that it's gameplay that emerged out of necessity back in the days of the original game. That original game, however, was a big hit. It meant that fans clamoured for more of the same, which Konami readily gave them. It made the series impenetrable for new players though, so that limited the series' appeal.

Then Symphony came along and blew every prior Castlevania out of the water, both in terms of sales and critical acclaim. It did it by abandoning what had been a core element of the series up until that point (whip, fixed jump etc.) and going for a more agile versatile character.

This might be anathema to anyone who loves the Classicvania style, but the agile character is simply more popular. The series needed to make the switch in order to survive. Not only that, but by giving the player more options, you open up the possibilities of enemies, their attack patterns and enemy placement. It allows you to make the game harder.

I keep thinking here of Shanoa. She is by far the most versatile and agile Castlevania protagonist ever, with some utterly powerful attacks and glyph combinations, but that's okay because her game is hard as balls.

Anyone who has ever done a Level 1 run on hard mode will be able to tell you that her game absolutely shines in giving you challenging, exciting battles. Not just bosses like Eligor or the sand fish from the desert, but also ordinary enemies that attack in interesting and subtle ways.

The whole time, you're dealing damage at a tremendous rate, but having to balance that with a healthy amount of dodging to avoid getting hit. It's difficult and you will die a lot, but it's also empowering and exciting. You're very powerful, of course, but you're also delicate. Your speed allows you to take enormous risks, so getting away with coming in close, wailing on an enemy, then back flipping away just in the nick of time is exhilarating.

I never felt this with Richter. Instead of feeling like I could ever risk everything on a daring manoeuvre, I felt as though I had to constantly play conservatively. Every boss encounter was a battle of attrition as I attacked like a madman in order to kill the boss before he could do the same to me. There was never any question of dodging.

The big divide between fans of Classicvania and Metroidvania exists for a reason. I honestly think the two fanbases are looking for different things.

I see where you're coming from,I really do, but moving Richter around simply wasn't fun for me. His momentum-killing attack animation meant that you had to work around it constantly, by jumping and whipping (you can fall and whip but not walk and whip?). Being unable to dodge, if that's what's needed? It made dealing with his limitations stressful for me, to the point where I couldn't enjoy myself.

I feel that it's gameplay that emerged out of necessity back in the days of the original game. That original game, however, was a big hit. It meant that fans clamoured for more of the same, which Konami readily gave them. It made the series impenetrable for new players though, so that limited the series' appeal.

Then Symphony came along and blew every prior Castlevania out of the water, both in terms of sales and critical acclaim. It did it by abandoning what had been a core element of the series up until that point (whip, fixed jump etc.) and going for a more agile versatile character.

This might be anathema to anyone who loves the Classicvania style, but the agile character is simply more popular. The series needed to make the switch in order to survive. Not only that, but by giving the player more options, you open up the possibilities of enemies, their attack patterns and enemy placement. It allows you to make the game harder.

I keep thinking here of Shanoa. She is by far the most versatile and agile Castlevania protagonist ever, with some utterly powerful attacks and glyph combinations, but that's okay because her game is hard as balls.

Anyone who has ever done a Level 1 run on hard mode will be able to tell you that her game absolutely shines in giving you challenging, exciting battles. Not just bosses like Eligor or the sand fish from the desert, but also ordinary enemies that attack in interesting and subtle ways.

The whole time, you're dealing damage at a tremendous rate, but having to balance that with a healthy amount of dodging to avoid getting hit. It's difficult and you will die a lot, but it's also empowering and exciting. You're very powerful, of course, but you're also delicate. Your speed allows you to take enormous risks, so getting away with coming in close, wailing on an enemy, then back flipping away just in the nick of time is exhilarating.

I never felt this with Richter. Instead of feeling like I could ever risk everything on a daring manoeuvre, I felt as though I had to constantly play conservatively. Every boss encounter was a battle of attrition as I attacked like a madman in order to kill the boss before he could do the same to me. There was never any question of dodging.

The big divide between fans of Classicvania and Metroidvania exists for a reason. I honestly think the two fanbases are looking for different things.

You're not wrong that there's a degree of stress involved in the classic Castlevania games (as there is in any action game, really). You have to carefully measure your attacks and jumps, because all your actions require a decent amount of commitment (although of course, how much commitment each action needs varies from game to game - see how CV4, X68K, and Rondo have controllable jumps, and how 4 has a super-long and highly controllable whip). That element of design is at the heart of Castlevania - the series is about you taking the role of a vulnerable human warrior (and eventually triumphing over significantly more powerful foes). So you're supposed to feel a little weak, because that forces you to use your tools smartly (and ultimately enhances the feeling of satisfaction when you win).

Castlevania has more restrictive movement than several of its contemporaries (see Contra, released by the same developer shortly after CV1), so I don't think I'd say the original Castlevania is the way it is because the developers didn't know any better or didn't have the ability to make a more forgiving game - CV1 handling the way it does is certainly a design choice, one which clearly enjoyed success and led to several great games. Of course, it's absolutely undeniable that Castlevania became more successful once the developers changed gears - but what does that prove? Symphony of the Night is the way it is because Igarashi decided that he wanted to make a game accessible to everyone, as opposed to the previous games, which had very focused, yet relatively limited appeal. But success isn't really a useful barometer for quality. Classic Castlevania is largely appealing because the series consists of tightly-designed, challenging-yet-reasonably-beatable games with a variety of cool stages and boss battles, and cool aesthetics (nice visuals and music). Of those qualities, SotN only retains the great aesthetics (which are undeniably top-tier in SotN), but abandons everything else - there's no challenge, enemies don't really test the player's knowledge of their moveset and are often haphazardly thrown around, the boss fights are largely miserably barren, thoughtless affairs. SotN is more successful and popular than the older CV games, but that's not because it's higher-quality; it's because it's a frustration-free game with no sharp edges, which offers a wealth of content (tons of cool visuals, good music, loot, etc.) which is easily consumed because there are no real barriers to entry, very little investment is asked from the player. (So if the original Castlevania is a steak, Symphony of the Night is a cheap buffet.)

I haven't played Order of Ecclesia. So if it's a quality game - you certainly make it sound like it could be legit - that's cool, and I may have to check it out someday. But I don't think it's necessarily true that action games that give more freedom to the player often use that freedom to make more difficult games. For examples, I'd point to Devil May Cry versus its successor, Bayonetta (Bayonetta is massively, massively more forgiving with regards to how much commitment your moves require, yet the game is only roughly as challenging as the first DMC and certainly less demanding than the third) or shmups (bullet hell shmups are generally a lot more fluid than older ones - yet despite appearances, your average bullet hell shooter is actually easier than older, restrictive games like Gradius III or Image Fight). I won't say that's a universal thing (I know Hard Corps: Uprising has a massive moveset compared to earlier Contra games and actually makes you make use of it, making it ultimately more challenging) but games with less restrictive controls also being less forgiving isn't really the norm.

It's certainly not the case that boss battles in Rondo of Blood are battles of attrition. I'm actually kind of confused that you say that; bosses really do a lot of damage in that game and kill you pretty quickly if you let them - so dodging is absolutely required (and, more importantly, always possible - the only way you can get in a situation where you can't escape an enemy attack is if you screw up very badly and let yourself get boxed in). The game's subweapons are also powerful; proper use of them means that you are constantly doing damage and keeping pressure on bosses, which in some cases can render them unable to act for large portions of the fight. Like other games in its series, Rondo is extremely fair and only requires tactical play to succeed.

You're not wrong that there's a degree of stress involved in the classic Castlevania games (as there is in any action game, really). You have to carefully measure your attacks and jumps, because all your actions require a decent amount of commitment (although of course, how much commitment each action needs varies from game to game - see how CV4, X68K, and Rondo have controllable jumps, and how 4 has a super-long and highly controllable whip). That element of design is at the heart of Castlevania - the series is about you taking the role of a vulnerable human warrior (and eventually triumphing over significantly more powerful foes). So you're supposed to feel a little weak, because that forces you to use your tools smartly (and ultimately enhances the feeling of satisfaction when you win).

Castlevania has more restrictive movement than several of its contemporaries (see Contra, released by the same developer shortly after CV1), so I don't think I'd say the original Castlevania is the way it is because the developers didn't know any better or didn't have the ability to make a more forgiving game - CV1 handling the way it does is certainly a design choice, one which clearly enjoyed success and led to several great games. Of course, it's absolutely undeniable that Castlevania became more successful once the developers changed gears - but what does that prove? Symphony of the Night is the way it is because Igarashi decided that he wanted to make a game accessible to everyone, as opposed to the previous games, which had very focused, yet relatively limited appeal. But success isn't really a useful barometer for quality. Classic Castlevania is largely appealing because the series consists of tightly-designed, challenging-yet-reasonably-beatable games with a variety of cool stages and boss battles, and cool aesthetics (nice visuals and music). Of those qualities, SotN only retains the great aesthetics (which are undeniably top-tier in SotN), but abandons everything else - there's no challenge, enemies don't really test the player's knowledge of their moveset and are often haphazardly thrown around, the boss fights are largely miserably barren, thoughtless affairs. SotN is more successful and popular than the older CV games, but that's not because it's higher-quality; it's because it's a frustration-free game with no sharp edges, which offers a wealth of content (tons of cool visuals, good music, loot, etc.) which is easily consumed because there are no real barriers to entry, very little investment is asked from the player. (So if the original Castlevania is a steak, Symphony of the Night is a cheap buffet.)

I haven't played Order of Ecclesia. So if it's a quality game - you certainly make it sound like it could be legit - that's cool, and I may have to check it out someday. But I don't think it's necessarily true that action games that give more freedom to the player often use that freedom to make more difficult games. For examples, I'd point to Devil May Cry versus its successor, Bayonetta (Bayonetta is massively, massively more forgiving with regards to how much commitment your moves require, yet the game is only roughly as challenging as the first DMC and certainly less demanding than the third) or shmups (bullet hell shmups are generally a lot more fluid than older ones - yet despite appearances, your average bullet hell shooter is actually easier than older, restrictive games like Gradius III or Image Fight). I won't say that's a universal thing (I know Hard Corps: Uprising has a massive moveset compared to earlier Contra games and actually makes you make use of it, making it ultimately more challenging) but games with less restrictive controls also being less forgiving isn't really the norm.

It's certainly not the case that boss battles in Rondo of Blood are battles of attrition. I'm actually kind of confused that you say that; bosses really do a lot of damage in that game and kill you pretty quickly if you let them - so dodging is absolutely required (and, more importantly, always possible - the only way you can get in a situation where you can't escape an enemy attack is if you screw up very badly and let yourself get boxed in). The game's subweapons are also powerful; proper use of them means that you are constantly doing damage and keeping pressure on bosses, which in some cases can render them unable to act for large portions of the fight. Like other games in its series, Rondo is extremely fair and only requires tactical play to succeed.
I never thought that the fixed jumps weren't a legitimate design choice (post the original Castlevania, at least - Contra came out later) - I know what the developers are going for. I just don't like it.

I also don't defend SotN as a game. It was easily surpassed by the later IGAvanias in spite of all the hype around it and does a horrible job balancing difficulty. It's like they made the character more powerful, but never rebalanced the rest of the game to suit. For me however, it's the turning point at which Castlevania games began to appeal to me thanks to dropping the restrictions that made the prior games non starters for me.

Also, when I call boss fights battles of attrition, what I mean is that with so few options for dodging, I often found myself either brute forcing it or finding a way to cheese the boss fight. I would invariably find a method of attack where I couldn't avoid damage, but where I caused slightly more damage to the boss than what it inflicted on me. It was repetitive and left little room for improvisation. It just isn't a style that I enjoy.

In the end, we're going to have to just agree to disagree on the merits of this style of game.

If you do get the chance to, play Ecclesia. It's to IGAvanias what Rondo is to Classicvania (ie the culmination of everything that came before). Being a Classicvania fan, I think you'd really enjoy a capped level run,though it's a feature that's only unlocked in the post game, unfortunately.

Dingens

wow.. finally caught up with all the episodes I missed since October (?) last year. It sure took me a while. To bad I'm somewhat in Gui's camp and haven't beaten Xenoblade X yet for various reasons... (and I probably won't in the near future either) Which is heart breaking since I adored the original, and even imported it from Japan in Summer 2010...

Hearing Johnny again felt somewhat strange. I completely forgot about how he slowly turned into a grunt over the last few years (
/jk, although you were way too negative on many things, I thought
).

Btw: I think you guys should do a 3ds retrospective for episode 500, I mean the system isn't done yet, but it sure has the most interesting (presumably) last year of any Nintendo system thus far... a last year that isn't a barren wasteland.
Or if not, maybe it would be a worthy discussion for listener "mail".

I'd love to listen to more import, hidden gems and retro talk on the show. I thoroughly enjoyed Greg's segment about the Goemon DS game, for example. James' thoughts about Ouendan were not only very entertaining but also made me want to give my copy of the game another shot (stopped playing it because of the difficulty spike).

I was thinking about calling in during the telethons, as I have played quite a lot of import games that rarely if ever get brought up (like Beyond the Labyrinth, Airport Hero, Daigasso P, Culdcept, New Love Plus, Nazo waku yakata, Time Travelers... and few others). But I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in things like that so I never made the call. Maybe you should get Syrenne back to talk about some of them some day. I'm sure she has played at least a few of.

Also got a suggestion for a future retro active: How about Bully for Wii? It was the only thing the Wii ever got which was remotely reminiscent of a GTA style game. I also think it would be a good game to talk about

Crimm

On today's episode, I realize I may have mischaracterized some of the really good Rondo conversation in this thread. My sincere apologies for anyone who I misquoted or misrepresented.

Btw: I think you guys should do a 3ds retrospective for episode 500, I mean the system isn't done yet, but it sure has the most interesting (presumably) last year of any Nintendo system thus far... a last year that isn't a barren wasteland.

!!!!

I was thinking about calling in during the telethons, as I have played quite a lot of import games that rarely if ever get brought up (like Beyond the Labyrinth, Airport Hero, Daigasso P, Culdcept, New Love Plus, Nazo waku yakata, Time Travelers... and few others). But I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested in things like that so I never made the call. Maybe you should get Syrenne back to talk about some of them some day. I'm sure she has played at least a few of.

I wish you had, I'm fascinated by Culdcept and Time Travelers. I've toyed with trying out the fan-translation of Love Plus but as per my rule - I'd need to import a copy and I'm already the show's raging otaku - I don't need to better arm Jon with insults. And, of course, I did import the original Daigasso. I'm tremendously bummed out that Nintendo of America never saw the value of that series. I actually did a few blogs on trying to recreate a Layton theme in it.

Also got a suggestion for a future retro active: How about Bully for Wii? It was the only thing the Wii ever got which was remotely reminiscent of a GTA style game. I also think it would be a good game to talk about

FUNNY ENOUGH I reviewed that game almost 10 years ago. I really dig it. I'll mention it to the crew as a candidate.

Ondore

I would've made this official earlier, but, well, four hours of podcasting...
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/42790/episode-479-extended-crab-leg-metaphor
Episode 479 "Extended Crab Leg Metaphor" said:
This week, it's finally time for our Retroactive on Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. But Dracula will have to wait just a little bit longer, because first comes New Business. Gui and James lead off with impressions of 7th Dragon III: Code VFD. The first entry in the series to come to the West, it borrows more than just its director from the Etrian Odyssey series. Guillaume and James both like what they've played so far, especially shipping their completely silent protagonists. Greg begins worshipping Satan with NES title Devil World. The Miyamoto-developed Pac-Man clone is currently available on multiple Virtual Consoles, assuming you're not in God's Own Region: America. Jon concludes New Business with Future Business: a look at what to expect out of E3 and the sudden announcement of Nintendo's non-Zelda plans for the show.

After the break, we fill our pink dresses with birds and slay The King of the Vampires with our RetroActive for Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. We talk about the dichotomy of Ryu-like Richter and adorable killing machine Maria, the influence of anime seeping into a previously western-looking series, explaining moral relativism to a small child, and an absurdly tall Frankenstein's Monster. Thanks to everyone who played along with us, and posted commentary.

Next week is the last show before E3, so if you have any E3 specific questions it's probably a good idea to get them in to our inbox now. The following week, we will be recording our E3 reaction show live! Join us at Nintendo World Report on Wednesday, June 15 at 9 PM Eastern. For those of you who can't make it, we'll have it on the feed soon thereafter. Come watch us engage in what will certainly be a horrible mistake.

Time: 2'30"32
Outro: Staff Roll - Dracula X
E3 prediction: We'll never have to worry about a show like this again (and FFXV is totes getting delayed)

GuillaumeNWR

Neo Member
I've also played Bully on the Wii. I remember loving it. It's been a while, though, so maybe it's time to revisit it, and do a "kiss all the boys" run or something.

The Wii also had The Godfather, in terms of traditional sandbox games. It also had games like Crystal Bearers, if that counts.

RetroActive: Open Worlds

Bully (Wii)
Godfather (Wii)
GTA: Chinatown Wars (DS)
Lego City Undercover (Wii U)
True Crime (GameCube)
...others?

IGN really talked up that trash Scarface Wii game. That's open-world. Man, the old Nintendo team there was terrible in terms of really going to bat for shit games.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Glad to hear some positive reactions towards 7th Dragon. I just knew it was a series with a few games & this was the first time we were getting one, but had no idea of what the gameplay was like (outside of being a RPG) or the fact it had the same person who does the Etrian Odyssey titles working on it (which almost scared me for a moment, because those don't do much for me). I think I'm more likely to try the game now, though considering it comes out a few weeks after Tokyo Mirage Sessions, I might wait a bit to see if it goes on sale. Or maybe Sega will put a demo out so I can try it for myself.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
As it turns out, Japan did get a demo, so I would be surprised if Sega didn't put that out on the eShop soon.
Ahh, okay, I wasn't sure if I read about Japan getting a demo, but that should guarantee the US will get a demo as well if Japan got one. I'd imagine next month a week or two before release.

Hopefully I'll get to hear reactions on how long the game took to beat &/or 100% (all side-quests, getting the best weapons for each class, etc.). It comes out about 2 1/2 weeks after TMS #FE, so I don't know if I want another RPG soon after, even if it's handheld & only $32 + artbook after the Prime discount. But at the very least, I'll keep a closer eye on it now having a better idea of how the mechanics work.

Makonero

Bully (Wii)
Godfather (Wii)
True Crime (GameCube)
...others?
Is Fantasy Life (3DS) considered open world? It's such a weird game. And Cop: The Recruit (DS) is supposed to be open world I think.

Dingens

[...]
The Wii also had The Godfather, in terms of traditional sandbox games. It also had games like Crystal Bearers, if that counts.

crystal bearers... the first steam green light game before green light and steam even existed. ugh...

Bully (Wii)
Godfather (Wii)
True Crime (GameCube)
...others?

- No more Heroes 1 and 2 (2 may be the better game, but 1 is definitely the better experience)
- cop the recruit (DS) (aka. best graphics on the ds)
there was also a driver game for 3ds? or was it WiiU? or even earlier than that? I can't even remember anymore

[...]I've toyed with trying out the fan-translation of Love Plus but as per my rule - I'd need to import a copy and I'm already the show's raging otaku - I don't need to better arm Jon with insults. [...]

do it. srsly. it's about time that game gets de-mystified. The internet is acting like this is some ero game for loosers who have given up on live or something when in reality it is a quite competent (and charming) visual novel with great writing nice story telling. The only thing that makes this game "creepy" is the way it is treated by the English speaking media, and mayyyyyybe the post game... but those parts are somewhat optional.
In short: I can highly recommend the game to anyone who enjoyed another code/trace memory. (although I can't speak for the fan-translation....)

edit: actually I just started the last "special" game on my to-do list, infamously known as
"If I were in a Sealed Room With a Girl I'd Probably XXX"
for 3ds and as it turns out, it is actually not total garbage... shockingly.

plufim

Bully (Wii)
Godfather (Wii)
True Crime (GameCube)
...others?
Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (gamecube) is incredible. Easily still the best Hulk game. Really good movement and combat, the creators went on to create the Prototype series.

Ondore

There's still RFN's coming out on Day -1.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/42822/episode-480-measuring-kirbys-schwarzschild-radius
Episode 480 "Measuring Kirby's Schwarzschild Radius" said:
E3 starts this week, and Radio Free Nintendo will be there (in spirit) to give you all the info about Unnamed Zelda Project you can handle, from four people who won't be playing it. But this week, we have a mostly normal show to get through, starting with New Business. Jon spent another week in the jaws of the San Jose Sharks, so a light crew has reports on only the newest of games. Greg kicks it off with Kirby: Planet Robobot. Kirby's second 3DS adventure adds the thing that universally makes all games better: mecha. Although his impressions are based on early gameplay, Greg is on-board. Gui has the freshest of racing games in Konami Krazy Racers for the GBA. It's the second appearance of this game in New Business; just imagine if famed fitness club company Konami had ever focused on making games! He also has a report on the hottest new tech from the 1995 Winter CES, getting a Sony CRT off Freecycle. Heads up, for those of you not old (or in Jon's case young) enough to remember, CRTs are heavy. James has baseball fever, and the only cure is to try to watch a game of baseball. Knowing better than to do that, he instead opted to go play NEO GEO classic Baseball Stars 2 (now with video). After a round of New Business, we offer some light speculation on the E3 to come.

Following a break, it's time for the return of Listener Mail. Topics covered include "good" video game marketing, the fate of the Nintendo World Championships, Mother 3 at E3, and the future of Super Mario Maker DLC. You can ask us to name the next place Nintendo won't announce Mother 3 via our mailbag.

It's E3 week! To celebrate, Radio Free Nintendo will be doing our first live-show of 2016. Join us Wednesday, June 15, at 9 PM Eastern for a live recording of our reaction to the show. You can also watch our feed for impressions of NWR staff on site, playing the games.

Time: 1'50"42
Outro: Skyward Sword - Kolodos/Moldarach
Big Live Live Show: Live!

Dingens

memorable commercials?
I'd say the European Senran Kagura ads were pretty fun ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRqVXLlLQpc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyyMKGBLa9c

The second thing that came to mind was also the OOT commercial and contrary to Greg it was actually the reason why I got the game. Strangely enough though the commercial I saw pretty much disappeared without a trace. For whatever reason it seems impossible to find on the internet... which in itself is already kinda odd.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gotta say I feel the same way about Mario Maker. Those event courses/costumes are really the only thing making me keep my copy, but it doesn't help the rest of the costumes I need to unlock are via Expert & Super Expert.

Also, slight correction, Mirror is NOT new, it's been around since Super Star on SNES. The new abilities were Doctor, Poison, & ESP.

llehuty

I find amazing Gui's change, in a matter of weeks, from being completely off of gaming to him hunting a CRT TV and going through the set up process just to play retro games.

I feel like one simply can't leave gaming.

Weetrick

Every one of Jonny's interview podcasts have been good, but this week... wow. That was a fascinating, intense listen. I can't wait for the book now. I didn't expect people to have such an emotional history with the website.

Every one of Jonny's interview podcasts have been good, but this week... wow. That was a fascinating, intense listen. I can't wait for the book now. I didn't expect people to have such an emotional history with the website.
Yeah, if anyone hasn't listened to that interview they totally should. Really gives you an inside look at some of the more unpleasant bits of NWR's past.

I kind of wonder what Jonny was expecting going into that particular interview. I'm guessing he may have anticipated a few feelings of bitterness but probably nothing to that degree.

Chiramii

That interview with Max was magnificent. Really goes to show how far people can go with their voluntary work for the things they love. Much respect to Max, and it made me extremely happy hearing that he's doing better.

Symtendo

I echo the Max interview comments. It was a fascinating listen and having not heard of Max or his story prior to listening I was intrigued from the introduction.

I thought Jonny did a fantastic job, despite the clear dissapointment that Max was feeling towards him and from the sounds of things, it helped Max immensely. That moment of realisation when Max talked about meeting his wife for the first time and ultimately putting it back down to Billy being the reason had me on the edge of tears.

I wish Max well and thank him for the 2 and a half hours of honesty and hope that this interview has given him some (by the sounds of things) much needed closure. It's amazing how somthing as forward thinking at the time of providing people with video content (somthing which we now take for granted) could ultimately be his undoing and leave him with so much pain and suffering. He sounds like he was one of the brighter sparks in the industry too.

The interview with Max Lake was fascinating. I haven't heard the general response to the episode but personally I found it insightful and emotional. I'm really looking forward to the eventual release of the book!

Somnid

I saw Syrenne McNulty tweeting about being a guest on the show. If true, I'm sure she will talk about TMS.

If true I'd love to hear her take on the whole censorship thing since some of the scenarios she found most problematic in the original Japanese release did get altered.

GuillaumeNWR

Neo Member
We record tomorrow and none of the crew has the game yet, so anime will indeed only be happening if Syrenne records with us (I don't know).

In the meantime, you can hear her impressions mid-game (Japanese version) on 469.

Top Bottom