• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radio Free Nintendo | A Nintendo Podcast for Grownups

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Might have to skip this episode since I'm only about 44 shrines & 1 dungeon in.....I should be playing more, but...Persona 5....

Symtendo

I just notice the description for the episode is:

Thoughts
Stories
Opinions
SPOILERS

Does this mean all ththe spoilers are contained in the end or are they right the way through?

I'm at 80+ hours, have 35 more Shrines to find and then I'm happy to hit Ganon. Is it safe to listen to up to a point or best just stay away?

silks

I'm at 80+ hours, have 35 more Shrines to find and then I'm happy to hit Ganon. Is it safe to listen to up to a point or best just stay away?

Stay away. We made no effort to hold anything back. Heck, a couple of things were spoiled for me and I've beat the game with ~110 hours clocked.

Crimm

It's true, we solved two shrines for Jon.

Greg and I had seen the most of the game, so these two kind of got dragged along for the spoiler ride.

Ondore

As we talk eShop on the Switch, this episode is basically a demo for Enter the Pungeon.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44536/episode-519-heroes-of-the-pun-storm
Episode 519 "Heroes of the Pun Storm" said:
Following last week's double-episodes, we decided go low-key with a more normal episode. Greg kicks off New Business with some concluding thoughts on Snipperclips, before examining the mobile-like Team Kirby Crash Deluxe. Do YOU have enough apples to grind your Kirby? Lastly, he talks about experiencing Pikmin 3 on the Wii U GamePad. Guillaume is disappointed with Shantae: ½ Genie Hero. Not a bad game but he talks about how much of it feels uninspiring. James played isometric teleportation puzzle-brawler Mr. Shifty on Switch. He jumps between praise and cautionary statements about the game's bugs. He has some quick thoughts on life-consuming title Persona 5, and is joined by a less-enthusiastic Gui. Lastly, he talks about Sony's approach to playing console games on the go: PS4 Remote Play. Jon wraps up New Business talking about his Switch-travels with former RFN host, Dr. Jonathan Metts and Radio Trivia host Michael Cole.

Topics we cover in Listener Mail this week: digital refunds, Nintendo's faith in ARMS, a pun nightmare, and a Nintendo MOBA. You can send us your pun nightmare via the inbox.

Time: 2'05"08
Outro: Mario Kart 8 - Yoshi's Valley
Downloads: MP3 | AAC
Coming soon: The new feature #ThanKonamiNews

Ondore

Greg is en route to Buffalo to interview for the now-vacant Bills GM job, so the doc... PhD is in.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44568/episode-520-my-nachos-are-on-fire
Episode 520 "MY NACHOS ARE ON FIRE" said:
This week saw 353 young men selected in the NFL Draft as the newest contestants in America's greatest bloodsport. Greg Leahy, America's greatest podcaster, did his American duty and watched this - America's greatest made-for-TV casting call. In his place we adopted a modern retro-modern cast with the first post-Switch appearance of Dr. Jonathan Metts.

This deeply un-American foursome instead focus on video games...America's seventh-best bloodsport. Jonny gives his first, non-vicarious, thoughts on Switch and The Legend of Zelda: Bills Trade Down. Given all the catching up he has to do, he has a lot to say. Don't expect any major departures from him on the game's quality. His New Business is interrupted by Nintendo's sudden announcement of the New 2DS XL, a system that's name is now 95% based around it being a version. Returning to New Business, he also shares some praise for Blaster Master Zero, a pseudo-remake of Blaster Master (which just happened to be the RetroActive game RFN covered on his very last regular episode). Jon played the Witcher 2. No, not 3. 2. He actually enjoyed its relative compactness, when compared to its newer sequel. Gui and James are still down the Persona hole, and Gui celebrates this by looking at Towerfall: Ascension. See what I did there? He enjoyed its multiplayer-focused arena gameplay, and encourages people to watch out for it when it finds its way onto Switch later this year. James has another Switch indie game this week, with impressions of Kamiko, a Zelda-inspired action game that finds its beat quick, and gets out just as fast.

After an unpatriotic break, it's Listener Mail, our ninety-third greatest bloodsport. Covered this week: the parallels between NWR and the now defunct (and cartoonishly evil) Brash Games, the discontinuation of the NES Classic Mini, and the only ACTUAL bloodsport mentioned in this episode: standing in line for amiibo. You can fight to the death for Advent Children Cloud by sending us an email.

Time: 2'06"44
Outro: Trauma Team - The Dead Shall Speak
Brash Games: F**k 'em.

Ondore

You know it's a banger when we're namedropping the FM Towns Marty.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44595/episode-521-lastfm-towns
Episode 521 "Last.FM Towns" said:
It's a very multiplayer kind of week for Radio Free Nintendo. With the launch of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe the crew manages to touch on a whole bunch of multiplayer experiences, now available on Switch. Jon and James kick-off New Business with a recap of their stream with frequent co-conspirator Syrenne McNulty. First up is Puyo Puyo Tetris, the Puyo/Tetris anime hybrid in which Syrenne absolutely wrecked them both. They then move over to Jackbox Party Pack 3, a game that has the host using their Switch while the rest of the players draw on their phones. Unsurprisingly, it turns hauntingly phallic. Speaking of which, Miis are back in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Greg joins Jon and James to talk about even more multiplayer fun. The team also touches on new features such as Steering Assist (and how playing 200cc Super Mushrooms Only is virtually impossible without it), and the chaos of the improved battle modes. Guillaume closes out New Business with a recap of the Game Boy series Super Mario Land. It turns out these games are really strange. He also looks at the PC port of N64 "classic" Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.

After a break we answer Listener Mail. This week we look at the fate of Download Play, project the influence of Breath of the Wild on future Xenoblade games, and dubiously encourage conspicuous consumption of the New Nintendo 2DS XL. Treat. Yo. Self. You can Treat Yo Self to an answer by sending us an email.

Time: 2'07"12
Outro: Jet Force Gemini - Rith Essa
The Syrenne Stream Series: Better known by its localized title "Mistakes Were Made".

Ondore

You ever get the feeling we're running out of game names?
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44616/522-in-defense-of-stereotypes
Episode 522 "In Defense of Stereotypes" said:
Sometimes we have a week where we're all a bit low on new games, but as opposed to doing the unthinkable - coming up with an alternate segment - we execute New Business with an eclectic collection of odds and ends. Greg starts off with a look back at a bunch of recently-patched games: Go! Go! Kokopolo 3D, Blaster Master Zero, and Shovel Knight (with Specter of Torment). He also spends some time talking about Pikmin 3, while we pontificate on the fate of Pikmin 4. Guillaume battles the uncaring My Nintendo Rewards system to procure Rhythm Heaven MEGAMIX. He also looks at non-violent platformer Ninja Pizza Girl and puzzle game (and hard fact) Girls Like Robots. James offers some additional thoughts on Puyo Puyo Tetris, but he's mostly just suffering the insipid writing and wondering why it's not called Puyo X Tetris. Jon is now on the most recent Witcher, 3, after practicing on its smaller predecessor. Lastly, the Switch-Trio continue last week's talk about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Given the rather weighty New Business segment, we targeted a smaller mailbag this week. We failed. In celebration of Kirby's 25th Birthday, we pick our our favorite mainline and spin-off Kirby games. The only problem is figuring out what constitutes a spin-off in this series. Our second email asks why do some video game characters "need" updating, where others are best left untouched? This launches us into a wide-ranging conversation that eventually concludes in Jon describing a hypothetical Tingle game he'd like to see. It already exists. You can invent existing games too by sending us an email.

Time: 2'08"52
Outro: Snake Pass - Title Screen
Blaster Master Zero DLC: Free until Thursday, and you can claim it on the Switch without buying the game.

OMG Aero

While James is technically correct that music/rhythm is a genre "that pink bastard hasn't been in", there is Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe on the 3DS eShop which is a standalone version of the rhythm minigame from Triple Deluxe with new songs.
So the Kirby series does have a music/rhythm game, just with Dedede in it instead of Kirby.

Makonero

I see your Pink Gold Dry Bones and I raise you a Glitter Metroid

not even Glitter Samus

I want an actual Metroid hovering over a cart that glitters and glows a rainbow of colors

coming to Mario Kart 9: Nintendo Kart

Fall 2018

to a store near you

Crimm

This conversation spiraled into 423 with us tasked with building a 21 character roster. Slot 21 was reserved for some dumb idiot turtle thing who is so dull I can't remember him.

We got a lot of hypothetical emails this week. I love it!

Ondore

Sadly, the canines and equines will be gathering in Los Angeles this year.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44671/episode-523-war-journalism
Episode 523 "War Journalism" said:
Seemingly for weeks now, we've been trying to get the show under two hours. We didn't succeed this week either, so we gave up instead. To compensate, we swapped Listener Mail with New Business to give your questions a chance to take as long as they need. And boy, you all delivered some fun questions. This week we build our own Mario spin-off roster, add waggle to make a game worse, share our best and worst E3 moments, and answer a listener's birthday request for a game of 20 Questions. You can send us your birthday wishes here.

After the break we talk a little about the ARMS Nintendo Direct. The Internet is enamored with Twintelle, but Byte & Barq are out there making life safe.

Gui ends the show dispensing with some New Business. He has some thoughts on the F2P Kirby experience Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, the Zelda Oracle games, and Kuru Kuru Kururin + Crazy Taxi + Plumbers Don't Wear Ties hybrid Turnabout.

If you're not a regular listener of NWR's Talk Nintendo Podcast, you should give it a try. Hosted by Perry Burkum (the composer of our theme song) and Casey Gibson, they provide a weekly wrap-up of news, downloads, and what they've been playing. This week they made the ill-fated decision to have James as a guest. The trio talks about how all this happened and have a Developer Deep Dive on Capcom. It was a lot of fun.

Time: 2'03"58
Outro: F-Zero - Port Town
Suggested comparison to this year's show: The 1852 Whig National Convention

Negator

Personally I would love if the podcast went 3+ hours if all the cast wanted to, but that's probably too much for the hosts (and the editor)

Ondore

I hope we're waiting for either Jon or Syrenne to return before we really dive deep into the Sonic Forces character creator. Failing that, I'm usually available.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44694/episode-524-original-podcast-do-not-steal
Episode 524 "Original Podcast said:
Despite the title, we mostly avoid discussing custom characters, Rabbid nightmares, and the creeping horror between. That said, Jon is out investigating such phenomena, leaving our normal podcast down its most senior member.

The otherwise sprightlier show kicks off with New Business. Greg finished off the Specter of Torment add-on to Shovel Knight, and enjoyed it a bit more than James. He also got his hands on a Switch Pro Controller (again, in contrast to James). Lastly, he takes a look at Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in a post-patch, post-rude gesture world. James gets lost in A Night in the Woods, a sharply-written adventure-like for PC and PS4. Come for the commentary on growing up, adulthood, loss, and the degradation of our rural communities; stay for the tough angry singles in your area. Gui joined the Switch Owners Club and talks about first experiences with the system, via the demo for Blaster Master Zero and two-player Snipperclips.

After the break, we take a dive into a trio of Listener Mail. This week we cover: games to see on the SNES, game worlds we'd like to live in (while having a well-used name), and what DLC we'd actually like to see in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. You can live - very briefly - in our world by sending us an email.

Time: 2'03"44
Outro: All Over The World - Actraiser
Guillaume: Sold out all right - the Bell Centre, Videotron Centre, and Scotiabank Place.

Nbz

Anyone else having issues with the new episode not showing up in Pocket Casts?

EDIT: Never mind just showed up

Crimm

Anyone else having issues with the new episode not showing up in Pocket Casts?

EDIT: Never mind just showed up

Let us know. There's a boatload of podcast apps out there and it seems like each of them has their own thing to be aware of.

When your RSS feed hits like 700+ items it gets pretty easy to mess it up.

Goddammit James, I was literally playing Fragile Dreams while listening to the latest episode when you dropped that spoiler. I'm more amused by the coincidence than anything, considering how few people have played that game.

Crimm

How the hell is that even possible? I didn't even think about it as a major spoiler given the age of the game and it's rather nicheness.

I will say it isn't the "Grand Reveal" it's a sort of interim step. So there's still shit for you to discover. If the term "shit" is a commentary on the quality of your impending discoveries will be a matter of opinion.

How the hell is that even possible? I didn't even think about it as a major spoiler given the age of the game and it's rather nicheness.

I will say it isn't the "Grand Reveal" it's a sort of interim step. So there's still shit for you to discover. If the term "shit" is a commentary on the quality of your impending discoveries will be a matter of opinion.

I don't how it's possible, which is pretty much why I posted in the first place. I'm not mad at all, by the way, and I think I was only like an hour before the reveal as of that post. I actually just beat the game, and I see what you mean with the rest of your post. Ultimately, I really enjoyed my time with the game, but there are some truly terrible parts, including the story stuff that the spoiler leads to. I'm just glad other people have actually played the game.

Crimm

There are a few late enemies that whenever they showed up I immediately hated the gameplay. Mechanics were the weakest part of the game by far, but some enemies seemed to exacerbate the problems.

I don't know that I ever settled how I feel about the ending. It definitely had room for improvement, and got a bit silly. The "cause" may have been better unsaid. I don't know that any solution short of "IT WAS A WIZARD!!!!!!" would have really felt "right." At least magic would have kind of let it just be "because the plot demanded it." Having Seto discover how the world broke is what normal storytelling would have demanded, but it seemed really incidental to his base motivation. They let the environment tell the story of the world until the late game. The run through the late-game area almost entirely devoid of environmental storytelling (until the VERY END) and seemed far worse at telling the story, even though the entire intent of that area was to tell the story.

I think I would have appreciated something a bit less melancholy for a resolution;
something to give a bit of an uplift to an otherwise very sad world. At the same time, I don't need a magic "fix the world" button either. I think I would have just liked more happiness for Seto. I really felt for him. Even the text-only post-script for the game kinda kicked him.

Of course, I played this game at a less than great time in my life. This did not help. This game does have a great ability to impress feelings of loneliness. They even managed to work it into a lot of the music

Ondore

Sadly, like winter, E3 is coming. Or as the deck puts it: "Due entirely to professional obligation, we delve into our annual sequence of blind guesses resulting in predictable failure."
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44747/episode-525-purple-is-the-new-glitter
Episode 525 "Purple is the New Glitter" said:
We're days away from the start of E3 2017, and that means it's time for everyone's favorite Anti-Cassandras to, by popular demand, foretell a future that is guaranteed to not come true. Nintendo - being Nintendo - dropped news of their online service hours prior to recording. This caused all sorts of last-minute adjustments that ultimately signify nothing, because we wouldn't have been accurate anyway. Is 2017 the year Retro is finally ready to reveal their latest creation: Jerry West & Nitus: Texas Brisket Challenge? Are we going to see Animal Crossing Switch + Mobile ecosystem - heralds of the "Darkest Business?" Does Guillaume resort to running his predictions through Bingee? Yes. Yes. And surprisingly, no.

We transplant New Business to the post-break segment. Everybody got time with the ARMS Testpunch, but James and Greg lead the conversation. Jon got to spend some time with former-host Dr. Jonathan Metts, and talks about his time spent with cooperative voyeurism-simulator Star Fox Guard, and Switch indie game TumbleSeed. James wraps up New Business with a quick double-shot of Fire Emblem. First, he notes Intelligent Systems' brilliant play to take the sting out of the "Waifu Wars" pejorative, by producing an ACTUAL "Bridal Festival" event in Fire Emblem Heroes. He then offers very early impressions of Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.

We'll be talking about our E3 plans in the next couple of days, so keep an eye out for those. In the meantime, you can send us emails via the inbox.

Time: 2'16"16
Outro: Paper Mario Color Splash - Prisma Splash
The only prediction guaranteed to be right: Next year will feature PAX SW instead of E3.

big youth

listening to the latest ep now, and your e3 predictions shit all over the segments I've heard from other podcasts. you guys covered all the bases, had some good insights, etc. great job guys

luoapp

listening to the latest ep now, and your e3 predictions shit all over the segments I've heard from other podcasts. you guys covered all the bases, had some good insights, etc. great job guys

Agreed, as cliched as E3 predictions have been come, I really enjoyed the crew's predictions. Keep up the good work!

Crimm

Hey all!

We'll be doing a live show at 8 PM Eastern on Tuesday. The first hour will be Greg, myself, and some guests reviewing Nintendo's announcements and giving our thoughts.

Starting at 9 we'll be getting some of the NWR staff on site to call in and answer questions (including those from our chat). Among those calling in are Mr. Diamond J himself, Jon Lindemann, and the former host of RFN Dr. Jonathan Metts.

luoapp

Hey all!

We'll be doing a live show at 8 PM Eastern on Tuesday. The first hour will be Greg, myself, and some guests reviewing Nintendo's announcements and giving our thoughts.

Starting at 9 we'll be getting some of the NWR staff on site to call in and answer questions (including those from our chat). Among those calling in are Mr. Diamond J himself, Jon Lindemann, and the former host of RFN Dr. Jonathan Metts.

Bump this thread when the show starts, so people can tune in.

leroidys

Hey all!

Aww yisss.

I don't chime in on this thread or write emails to the show very often, but I just want to put it out there how much I look forward to the show every week, and how much I appreciate the work you guys do. Good luck at E3, unwashed masses edition! (pleeb3? ple3b?)

Dingens

2 months aka 8 episodes of catch up was tough, but luckily I just made it in time for E3
naturally I have some comments about those past episodes:

In episode 517 you were talking about "relationships in games" and I have to admit I was kinda sad that even Syrenne failed to mention Love Plus (maybe she didn't play it?). I know there's a lot of controversial stuff surrounding the games, and I know I've been advocating them more than they deserve (possibly), but when I think portrayal of relationships in games, I think of (New) Love Plus.
it's hands down the best display of, let's call it "teenage love" I've ever seen in a game. Kinda made me feel young again when playing it. The scenario you go through with each girl has something exciting yet innocent to it. I can't really describe the sensation it gave me, which makes it even sadder that none of those games ever came out and most people never get to try it for themselves. Honestly, I can understand why (apparently) many lonely otakus fell for the game. It's incredible at what it does (well and then you get to the actual dating part ... and it's all downhill from there)

Episode 520: Johnny moved... again? By now I somehow keep expecting him to have moved to a different place every time he shows up on rfn... well at least gui seems to move too atm, so that evens it out I guess

Episode 521: Gui was talking about some 3ds game with a standalone download play client but couldn't recall what it was. Maybe he was thinking of Band Brothers P? It got a free App, which works like an unlimited Demo but it let's you access almost everything like play online and locally and buy songs.

[...]
I think I would have appreciated something a bit less melancholy for a resolution;
something to give a bit of an uplift to an otherwise very sad world. At the same time, I don't need a magic "fix the world" button either. I think I would have just liked more happiness for Seto. I really felt for him. Even the text-only post-script for the game kinda kicked him.

Of course, I played this game at a less than great time in my life. This did not help. This game does have a great ability to impress feelings of loneliness. They even managed to work it into a lot of the music

I always imagined that the game is some sort of dream in itself (like the name suggests). Everything had this dream-like quality to it, albeit it may have been a nightmare sometimes. I don't remember much about the gameplay, but I clearly remember 1 thing:
Some completely optional side story about a girl and her bell. I don't know why, but her tale felt incredibly sad... more so than the rest of the game.

Ondore

There'll be a bump on Tuesday night, but a regulation episode now.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44791/episode-526-the-louvre-of-shame
Episode 526 "The Louvre Of Shame" said:
By the time you hear this, E3 2017 will have kicked off. Hopefully you'll be able to join us Tuesday evening for the RFN Live Show. We'll be streaming at NWR starting at 8 ET (5 PT, 12 GMT). You can join us in the new NWR Discord to ask questions and give us your thoughts. We'll have an article with all details up on Tuesday. For more details about ALL NWR's streaming plans check here.

Now for the show. James can't remember what he said about Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, so he covers it yet again. 30+ hours in, he's deeply invested and actually dares Nintendo to remake more Fire Emblem games. Guillaume bought Gem Apples in Team Kirby Crash Deluxe. Setting aside that shame, he explores The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, and finds it doesn't stand up to personal-favorite Link's Awakening. He concludes New Business regaling us with stories of Snipperclips as a non-native English speaker. Jon's predictions are already wrong; there is no Pokémon Stars for Switch, but that doesn't stop him from claiming that he's going to be vindicated. In the end, we review the entire Pokémon Direct before he transitions to talking about Forza Horizon 3 and related Millennial-focused music festivals. Greg reports from the last round of the ARMS Testpunch and - in his own words - returned to Metroid: Zero Mission for "no particular reason".

Listener Mail starts off with someone aiming to out-Gui at his own game, giving us a dark vision of Zelda's mobile game. Our second question asks if every Nintendo Account on your Switch will have to pay for online, or if one fee covers everyone. The final email asks about Nintendo's recent trend towards giving players control options. You can ask us about future online control options to bop AR Koroks by sending us an email.

Time: 2'01"01
Outro: Pandora's Tower - Catenae Fortunae
"Louve": The RSS is updating
My E3 wish: Amazon cock-ups all week long.

Crimm

Yeah, in my rush to get it all done a day early, and before E3 got started in earnest, I made a typo in the RSS feed (that I then copy-pasted into the chapter names). I noticed it once I checked my subscriptions - but by then everyone started automatically downloading the file and I was blocked out of the NWR server because of the surge in traffic. Did ultimately correct it but if you got it first oh well...

Crimm

I think a while ago we did one you wrote about people ignoring Nintendo "new" franchises that weren't out of EAD-proper. Right?

If you've sent stuff in that didn't make the show proper please don't take it as a commentary on the question. We get stuff in bunches - and then we'll get a trickle. My process for managing this is hardly exacting and good emails have slipped through before. This is probably the worst part of the gig because picking emails that are good but also have a good mix from what we're looking at in the first segment always feels like a crap shoot.

If you have a question you sent in, and we haven't used it in a few weeks, feel free to send it in again - or just let me know in here (or on twitter NWR_James). Stuff gets missed, and I feel like a dick for it. And I can't speak for Gui and Jon but hitting me up on Twitter is totally cool if there's something you want to know. It might not make the show but we'll get back to you. Hitting up the RFN Official Twitter is a bit dodgy since I don't think anyone really maintains the mentions there.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn it, I completely forgot about the Discord/live podcast thing until an hour after it started.....& guessing it ended as well?

Edit: Oh, I'm suppose to listen to it on the site while having the chat up. Damn it, at this rate, I'll just wait for the MP3 version.

Ondore

Did somebody order an MP3 version? (Sorry for forgetting the bump.)
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44844/episode-527-e3-2017-marios-mindgate-conspiracy
Episode 527 "E3 2017: Mario's Mindgate Conspiracy" said:
Today, Nintendo staged their E3 2017 Digital Event. They announced new games, such as: Yoshi, Kirby, Metroid Prime 4, Metroid: Samus Returns, and more. They also had full reveals of games like Super Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Greg and James are joined by Casey Gibson of Talk Nintendo Podcast and Carmine Red of Connectivity. The foursome, along with the NWR Discord, breakdown and react to all the news from the Digital Event and subsequent Treehouse Live.

In the second hour, the NWR team at the show (including RFN-casters Jon Lindemann and Jonny Metts) call in to give impressions of Mario, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Indivisible, and Sonic Forces. They also have a report on what its like at the first public E3, and share a few stories from the show floor.

You can briefly control our bodies by sending us an email.

Thanks to everyone who was able to join us and those who were with us in the chat. You can see more coverage from E3 2017 all week, at Nintendo World Report.

Time: 1'52"15
Outro: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Title Screen
Pauline: Won the mayoral election in New Donk City in a fierce contest against Stanley Bugman

Crimm

I'm sure others will suggest it, but that theme song from the Super Mario Odyssey E3 trailer is just so good & would make for a great ending song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aioXn0ut6gE

Funny enough, I was talking to Greg after the show, suggesting it was the right pick for tonight. He correctly cautioned against it since Treehouse Live is drilling that song into people's brains. So totally is going to end up being the song at some point. The man is on point though.

Dingens

woah! James, you don't know what culdcept is?
well... maybe that's for the better. Just buy it when it comes out over here, go in blind and thank me later
srsly do it! It's an amazing series. And both 3ds games are incredible!

I'm glad to hear that Mario plays good, because I got kinda worried since it... well.... kinda looks bad visually. At first I thought it was because it reminded me of Sonic 06, but even the other areas aren't particularly pleasing to the eye. I think it may be because they are making a traditional Mario game level design wise but with more "realistic" textures. Kinda makes the game look lifeless and empty.

Btw: Maybe you could have a discussion on the whole monster hunter fiasco for your next listener mail?

Yesterday, Capcom explicitly stated, that they have currently no plans of releasing MHXX outside Japan (neither Switch nor 3ds). This seems like an incredibly dickish move, even by their standards. After being on 3DS for 6 years spawning 3 Mainline games (MH3GU, 4, 4GU) and 3+ spin-offs (X, XX, Stories, probably some puzzle game I'm forgetting about...), the series is going multi platform (PS4, Xbone and PC), but not quite. Not only do Nintendo owners not get to play XX, but they get also deprived of the new hotness. As one of those 1,4 mio 3DS users who bought 4GU and one of those 900k 3DS users who bought Generations this feels like a slap in the face - not to mention a strange thank you to Nintendo for growing the fan base outside Japan. Oh and of course it get's even stranger when you realize, that Japan is only going to get the PS4 Version of world - which pretty much alienates their whole portable fan base. This seems especially strange from a business perspective, since Monster Hunter in Japan never sold well on consoles, and the PS4 itself doesn't sell very well either there.
So in short: PS4, Xbone and PC get the new Hotness, Switch owners in Japan get a cheap port and Switch owners outside Japan get jack shit.
Do you think that they're actually just holding back a Switch version of Worlds so they can sell XX in Japan first (as some have argued)?
Or maybe do you think that they might be hold back XX outside Japan to prevent it from cannibalizing MH World's sales (like others have suggested)?
Or could they be working on a Switch exclusive "MH portable 5" like the infamous 4chan rumour stated? (another rumour furthermore suggested that Capcom urged Nintendo to increase the ram for the Switch)
Or is Capcom honestly ok with fucking over the audience they cultivated over the last 6 years on Nintendo Systems? (as a reminder, Monster Hunter Stories is still on it's way to 3ds and will be published by Nintendo in Summer...)
Monster Hunter World seems nowhere beyond Switch's capabilities and XX is already like 70+% localized (and also strangely progressive with 3ds cross-play... not to mention the custom switch bundle it's getting in Japan) so wtf is going on?

(btw if you need me to send it to your inbox in order to qualify for listener mail, just let me know)
(I'd have added another paragraph to elaborate how this situation differs from the PSP - PS3 - VITA fiasco, but it's already long enough as it is I guess)

also got a ending song suggestion
https://youtu.be/Bc5rboSunV0
SMT4A's Overworld/Tokyo Theme. Perfect to calm down form e3 madness

alternatively one of the new XBC2 songs! Pick your poison:
Elysium of the blue sky - Yasunori Mitsuda
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/adena/assets/sound/bgm01.mp3
Action Battle (temp) - ACE
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/adena/assets/sound/bgm02.mp3
Action Start (temp) - Kenji Hiramatsu
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/adena/assets/sound/bgm03.mp3
Elpis Soul Cave(?) (temp) - Yasunori Mitsuda
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/adena/assets/sound/bgm04.mp3

I think a while ago we did one you wrote about people ignoring Nintendo "new" franchises that weren't out of EAD-proper. Right?

If you've sent stuff in that didn't make the show proper please don't take it as a commentary on the question. We get stuff in bunches - and then we'll get a trickle. My process for managing this is hardly exacting and good emails have slipped through before. This is probably the worst part of the gig because picking emails that are good but also have a good mix from what we're looking at in the first segment always feels like a crap shoot.

If you have a question you sent in, and we haven't used it in a few weeks, feel free to send it in again - or just let me know in here (or on twitter NWR_James). Stuff gets missed, and I feel like a dick for it. And I can't speak for Gui and Jon but hitting me up on Twitter is totally cool if there's something you want to know. It might not make the show but we'll get back to you. Hitting up the RFN Official Twitter is a bit dodgy since I don't think anyone really maintains the mentions there.
Ahh if so sorry for that, I must have forgotten I sent something in similar to it before >.<
As punishment for this I shall now go play all the DS Transformers games

Ondore

I think this one worked? (Safety not guaranteed.)
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/44866/episode-527-e3-2017-day-2-forgetting-our-lines
Episode 527: E3 2017 Day 2 - Forgetting Our Lines said:
Day 2 of the Electronic Entertainment Expo came to a close, so naturally we sat down to record our thoughts on the events of the day. Jon and Jonny made up the RFN contingent, but we also had a true roundtable that included Aaron, Jared, TYP, resident troublemakers Kim and Becky, and - making her podcast debut - Kim's mom Nellie! We discuss what we played in the Nintendo booth and elsewhere, lament endless lines, and share a laugh or two. Please, feel free to picture us all laughing right now, and enjoy this wrap-up.

Time: 51:22

Crimm

I don't mind at all if you send in a similar question. Sometimes we replay a question if enough time has passed and things have changed.

I did not approve of the away team making their show a numbered episode. Is it really RFN if I'm not there?

silks

I personally think that Monster Hunter 5 (Monster Hunter 5 Ultimate in the West) will be announced as a Switch exclusive. I could see World being more of a game-as-a-service (which makes sense on PS4/XB1), cycling in monsters that are first introduced in the mainline series (i.e. on Switch).

There's no way Capcom leaves NA Switch owners out in the cold. There's too much money to be made. My main question is the MH World business model in Japan. Will it be a pay service? Nobody outside of Capcom seems to know that right now.

Top Bottom