• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

DieH@rd said:
Acording to iD its PC> PS3 > X360, but console versions are very close to eachother. PS3 has less texture popping.

Actually that's not quite right. If you install to the hard drive then 360>PS3. If you do not, then PS3>360. That seemed to be what Carmack felt at Quakecon, atleast.

Can any version of this game really be considered a "port"? Weren't all platform versions developed simultaneously with the same code base and tools?

BeeDog

Why don't some of you guys wait for a proper DF face-off instead of trying to champion your platforms of choice by using random YT videos and Carmack's words as sources?

AEREC

Gvaz said:
I'm watching that Rage pt 3 video in 1080p and that is definately not 60fps all the time.

There are obvious areas where the fps dips, like turning around and loading new assets, and such. Perhaps it's from the person recording but....

Also the art style looks great but there's obvious tons of low res textures it just looks better because everything is grimy.

Borderlands 2.5 gooo

Ya Im not sure if it's the videos or not, But I havent seen rage running at a constant 60fps yet. It still runs good but it looks like the framerate is between 40 and 60 fps.

Suairyu

Banned
NullPointer said:
Can any version of this game really be considered a "port"? Weren't all platform versions developed simultaneously with the same code base and tools?
Correct. There is no lead platform.

sp3000

Suairyu said:
Correct. There is no lead platform.

That's the issue. When there is no lead, you naturally build for the lowest common denominator. How else can you explain that the PC gets the same textures as console?

Makes sense that the 360 runs smoothly when it's installed.

Just wondering if you have to install all the discs or is it disc swapping. Either way, it's good to hear that all versions are pretty good.

John Carmack is a genius.

delta25

Banned
IoCaster said:
I don't think so, but he has posted on Slashdot in the past and he's fairly active on Twitter these days.

Only us nerds could ever be star struck by this guy....

quakecon08_john_carmack.jpg

Suairyu

Banned
sp3000 said:
That's the issue. When there is no lead, you naturally build for the lowest common denominator. How else can you explain that the PC gets the same textures as console?
Because nobody is going to release a 100+gig game.

Wallach

IoCaster said:
I don't think so, but he has posted on Slashdot in the past and he's fairly active on Twitter these days.

Look at this shit:

John Carmack's Twitter said:
Potential locality improvement for kd tree tracing by always making the larger SAH, instead of the more negative, node follow?

John Carmack's Twitter said:
a kd tree is a BSP tree with the splits limited to axial planes instead of arbitrarily oriented ones

He says things like this on Twitter.

Just saw the 360 game footage. Fucking hell this game looks incredible. I never want to hear Square Enix bitch about HD towns again. The amount of detail is just staggering! Leave it to Carmack and id to elevate us out of the gaming ghetto lol.

delta25

Banned
sp3000 said:

Yet the final product is an amazingly well crafted and beautiful looking game, so ultimately I fail to see what your whining about?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
NullPointer said:
Just make sure the pre-load works for all buyers at least a week or two out from release. Thanks very much.

In the interests of impracticality and annoyance, I will do no such thing.

IoCaster

delta25 said:
Only us nerds could ever be star struck by this guy....

quakecon08_john_carmack.jpg

Yeah, there's a certain measure of truth to this. He's so refreshingly honest and straightforward as a contrast to the overwhelming number of mendacious PR drones in the industry that it's easy to develop a genuine respect for the guy.

I'm reading from other forums that the game is 15 hours long, minimum, and can be played up to over 30 hours if you do everything.

Is this true?

Sounds like a apocalyptic Half-Life 2 that can be played like Borderlands.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm reading from other forums that the game is 15 hours long, minimum, and can be played up to over 30 hours if you do everything.

Is this true?

Sounds like a apocalyptic Half-Life 2 that can be played like Borderlands.

They are saying 12 to 15 for main game and if you complete side missions maybe 20ish hours.

FatBaby

Well, I was able to download about 2 gigs last night and since then I haven't been able to preload anything.

Anyone else having problems or is it just me?

Edit: I guess the post above mine answers that one lol.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
NullPointer said:
When the Cylons attack he can have my seat on the escape shuttle.

http://i54.tinypic.com/afhgya.jpg[IMG]

(Who am I kidding? He probably has his own shuttle hidden away somewhere.)[/QUOTE]
My sarcasm detector is kinda broken these days, so I'll just post this in case it's not sarcasm:
[url]http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/Armadillo/Home/FAQ#John[/url]
[QUOTE=Solo]And on the seventh day, god created John Carmack.[/QUOTE]
To be fair (and I couldn't have more respect for Carmack than I have really) some of the stuff in Rage, especially in the realtime lighting department, could be considered quite a step back from Doom 3's.

Blimblim said:
My sarcasm detector is kinda broken these days, so I'll just post this in case it's not sarcasm:
http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/Armadillo/Home/FAQ#John

To be fair (and I couldn't have more respect for Carmack than I have really) some of the stuff in Rage, especially in the realtime lighting department, could be considered quite a step back from Doom 3's.
;p

I knew, but it never hurts to share awesomeness with the class.

Blimblim said:
Wow. This I did not expect.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Any new gameplay vids? Can't get enough of em.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
NullPointer said:
Wow. This I did not expect.
What do you mean? You do not agree that some aspects of Rage are a step back from other games?
Look at a driving video, when a car goes into a shadow. It basically makes the car darker, but there is no projected shadows. Also look at explosions, they don't actual light up the room. Everything's prebaked, because there is no way it could have been realtime.
It was realtime in doom 3, but with huge limitation in terms of view distance, room size and many other stuff.
I would say it is the first time I've seen Carmack actually have to go back to a simpler solution from one engine to another. Not saying it's not justified, because of course it is considering how widely different the scope of Tech 4 and Tech 5 are, but it's still a compromise.

Blimblim said:
Most games are behind Doom 3 when it comes to lighting tech though. :p

Blimblim said:
What do you mean? You do not agree that some aspects of Rage are a step back from other games?
Look at a driving video, when a car goes into a shadow. It basically makes the car darker, but there is no projected shadows. Also look at explosions, they don't actual light up the room. Everything's prebaked, because there is no way it could have been realtime.
It was realtime in doom 3, but with huge limitation in terms of view distance, room size and many other stuff.
I would say it is the first time I've seen Carmack actually have to go back to a simpler solution from one engine to another. Not saying it's not justified, because of course it is considering how widely different the scope of Tech 4 and Tech 5 are, but it's still a compromise.
Oh I haven't been examining the game footage outside of stuff from a few months ago. I didn't expect id Tech 5 to be a step back in any regard from Doom 3. Just surprised is all.

Maybe I should check out some of your site's footage. You do good work Blim.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Danne-Danger said:
Most games are behind Doom 3 when it comes to lighting tech though. :p
Well other games with same-ish scopes have very advanced lighting and shadowing engines too. Heck, Starbreeze did most of Tech 4's stuff on a console way before Doom 3 was released on the Xbox.
I'm a huge fan of realtime lighting and shadowing effects when done right, so for me Rage is a bit of a disappointment in that department. Still a colossal achievement to have such graphics run a 60 fps for sure though.
NullPointer said:
Oh I haven't been examining the game footage outside of stuff from a few months ago. I didn't expect id Tech 5 to be a step back in any regard from Doom 3. Just surprised is all.
To be fair, not even Carmack could get an advanced lighting engine like Doom 3's to run on such a scope with current gen consoles. Not even at 30 fps.
I'm afraid I don't have any 60 fps footage since Bethesda didn't release any and they didn't send us a review copy (they sent us a big and nice press kit three times a few weeks ago, strangely...)

Vire

NullPointer said:

I wouldn't worry too much, watch this trailer and leave your jaw on the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSNtIeLxcMg

I think the compromises that were made to achieve 60 FPS were worth it. It is hands down the best looking 60 FPS game readily available.

Solo said:
They must only allocate X amount of bandwidth for certain titles, because I have been getting that message all fucking day :_(
They should really allocate a spot in queue for any paying customer. Hell, having an actual download queue at this point would be nice.

Vire said:
I wouldn't worry too much, watch this trailer and leave your jaw on the floor.
*jaw back on floor* Thanks for this.

Solo

NullPointer said:
They should really allocate a spot in queue for any paying customer. Hell, having an actual download queue at this point would be nice.

Agreed. This shit is ridiculous.

Blimblim said:
Well other games with same-ish scopes have very advanced lighting and shadowing engines too. Heck, Starbreeze did most of Tech 4's stuff on a console way before Doom 3 was released on the Xbox.
I'm a huge fan of realtime lighting and shadowing effects when done right, so for me Rage is a bit of a disappointment in that department. Still a colossal achievement to have such graphics run a 60 fps for sure though.
Oh yeah I'll take good real-time lighting over mostly anything when it comes to graphics, really. But as you say it would've been impossible for Rage if they wanted to reach their goal.

Has He said anything about Doom 3ish lighting and id Tech 5? I'd be surprised if He'd abandoned the idea altogether.

garath

perineumlick said:
Scored Rage and Dark Souls today, PS3. Booting Rage up now; damn it's a 8GB install.

Damn. Where do you guys keep scoring early copies? Almost sucks to be a pc gamer sometimes

Top Bottom