• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Solo said:
They must only allocate X amount of bandwidth for certain titles, because I have been getting that message all fucking day :_(

That may be it. Even so, you would think in the event of popular game pre-loads, such as Rage, Valve would open the floodgates.

~Kinggi~

Banned
jett said:
It's not going to take a few minutes to install 22GB.
I wouldnt be surprised if it took longer to install the 8 gb on the ps3 than the single player full install on 360. For some reason ps3 installs are slow as shit.

sp3000

delta25 said:
Yet the final product is an amazingly well crafted and beautiful looking game, so ultimately I fail to see what your whining about?

Nice to see you cannot judge a game's graphics objectively. There is much potential here that has been squandered because Carmack targeted consoles foremost. Id Tech 5 can do so much better than this

~Kinggi~ said:
I wouldnt be surprised if it took longer to install the 8 gb on the ps3 than the single player full install on 360. For some reason ps3 installs are slow as shit.
It took about 10 minutes to install on my PS3. Not too bad I guess.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Danne-Danger said:
Has He said anything about Doom 3ish lighting and id Tech 5? I'd be surprised if He'd abandoned the idea altogether.
Doom 4 will use Tech 5, but will run at 30 fps so it will be hugely interesting to see what the engine can do when it has twice more time to generate each frame. Can't wait :)

x-Lundz-x

sp3000 said:
Nice to see you cannot judge a game's graphics objectively. There is much potential here that has been squandered because Carmack targeted consoles foremost. Id Tech 5 can do so much better than this

You are correct, and when Doom 4 at 30FPS is shown you will see it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Doom 4 has a lot to live up to. Even though people scoff at Doom 3 today i think it is still embedded in peoples minds as a breakthrough in graphics. Back in the day everyone was upgrading to play that hotness.

Elixist

~Kinggi~ said:
Doom 4 has a lot to live up to. Even though people scoff at Doom 3 today i think it is still embedded in peoples minds as a breakthrough in graphics. Back in the day everyone was upgrading to play that hotness.

indeed game still looks good imo. Anybody got some Rage impressions yet? Guys? *crickets*

garath

Elixist said:
indeed game still looks good imo. Anybody got some Rage impressions yet? Guys? *crickets*

Interesting that we aren't getting any gaf impressions even though quite a few people got the game. Must be having too much fun playing it :)

Suairyu

Banned
If I remember correctly, Carmack said that by halving the framerate in Doom 4 to 30fps they'll be able to push 4x the amount of detail. If RAGE already looks so stunning, Doom 4 is going to blow us away.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Just saw the 360 game footage. Fucking hell this game looks incredible. I never want to hear Square Enix bitch about HD towns again. The amount of detail is just staggering! Leave it to Carmack and id to elevate us out of the gaming ghetto lol.
The problem, of course, lies with the tools provided. With the amount of detail present in the scenes, the quality of the tools can make the difference between weeks and months when it comes to the design process.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PS3 install time really depends on a lot. How much free space is on your drive is one. The second is really just up to the game. DMC4 is like the world's slowest install. I think some games are just coded very strangely when it comes to that.

IoCaster

Blimblim said:
I'm afraid I don't have any 60 fps footage since Bethesda didn't release any and they didn't send us a review copy (they sent us a big and nice press kit three times a few weeks ago, strangely...)

I'm starting to get a certain vibe here. The lack of early reviews and this post have got my ears perked up. Is it the case that BethSoft are a bit skittish about the game? Is it possible that they just don't get 'id' and don't really understand the appeal of their games? Or is it that they have some genuine misgivings about the title? We'll find out soon enough, but going by what I've seen and read the game is looking stellar. It really seems like they've put some extensive marketing effort into RAGE so what's the story? *confuzzled*

Solo

Suairyu said:
If I remember correctly, Carmack said that by halving the framerate in Doom 4 to 30fps they'll be able to push 4x the amount of detail. If RAGE already looks so stunning, Doom 4 is going to blow us away.

Yup. Doom 4 is going to blow our minds.

Suairyu said:
He's said that it would allow them to have (at least) twice as many guys on screen as well.
IoCaster said:
I'm starting to get a certain vibe here. The lack of early reviews and this post have got my ears perked up. Is it the case that BethSoft are a bit skittish about the game? Is it possible that they just don't get 'id' and don't really understand the appeal of their games? Or is it that they have some genuine misgivings about the title? We'll find out soon enough, but going by what I've seen and read the game is looking stellar. It really seems like they've put some extensive marketing effort into RAGE so what's the story? *confuzzled*
Bethesda is notoriously shitty at marketing.

Mastperf

Stallion Free said:
By modern hard drive standards, 20 gb is a pathetically small amount. I wish they would have given me a 4 blu-ray install.
Game sizes and harddrive storage aren't related at all. The amount of people dreading the 20+gb dl show how large it is even for pc.

Derrick01

Banned
Solo said:
Yup. Doom 4 is going to blow our minds.

I kind of want at least half of it to be outside now after seeing just a little bit of Rage's outdoor areas. Hell I'll settle for an Elder Scrolls or Fallout on this engine.

bluestuff said:
so anyone know if RAGE for $35 is legit, sorry if answered already

You should tread carefully with that place. I've seen some people say it works but I've seen others here say Valve frowns on it and will remove it from your account. It's tempting I know, pretty much every upcoming game is like $35 on there.

Wallach

Suairyu said:

Yvx8V.jpg

Chiggs

Gold Member
Goddamn preloading jerks! I can't start because scores of nerds are hogging the servers.

Don't you have anything better to do!?

epmode

IoCaster said:
It's incredibly annoying but the utter lack of pre-release reviews is becoming very common in high-budget games. It especially sucks when it happens to games with exclusive pre-order items, like Rage. And words can't describe how much it sucks when we're talking about a goddamned shotgun in an id game.

Haven't been following all the details of this game but can we expect decent mod support?

This is id after all, but you can't be sure nowadays. And while Tech 5 targets consoles as well as PCs does that mean us PC guys will still get to tweak the game's settings to our heart's content? There are too many multiplatform games with v-sync and resolution as the only options, and sometimes you don't even get v-sync.

Infamous Chris said:
Actually it's PC>360>PS3. It takes a few minutes to install the 360 version.
Thats the impression I got from Carmack's talks. Reading additional data from the Bluray seems to be the slowest link in the chain. DVD is faster, HD is even faster.

Suairyu said:

He said 3x. For those that are going to complain about the math of it, he said the reason you can do about 3x as much, and not just 2x, as that there is a certain relatively fixed amount of time it takes to set a frame up regardless of what is on screen and regardless of if you're running at 60 or 30fps. Just judging by his math, it would seem that's roughly 1/120th of a second or so.

Suairyu

Banned
Better no pre-release reviews than paid-for 9/10 exclusives. I never buy games day one now anyway.

That said, I honestly don't need to see reviews of this. It's id. Needing a review is like questioning if Episode 3 will be good when it comes out, or questioning if Starcraft II was going to be good.

Marco1

NullPointer said:
Haven't been following all the details of this game but can we expect decent mod support?

This is id after all, but you can't be sure nowadays. And while Tech 5 targets consoles as well as PCs does that mean us PC guys will still get to tweak the game's settings to our heart's content?
Yes, he said mod support will be featured.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Derrick01 said:
You should tread carefully with that place. I've seen some people say it works but I've seen others here say Valve frowns on it and will remove it from your account. It's tempting I know, pretty much every upcoming game is like $35 on there.

Valve will only remove games activated with foreign keys if the publisher requests it. So far the only such instance I'm aware of is with Activision and Modern Warfare 2, but even then the game wasn't removed from all transgressed accounts (I bought the game from G2Play and it still works just fine). As far as Valve themselves are concerned, the Orange Box "incorrect territory" debacle aside, a legit key is a legit key, irrespective of its origin.

NullPointer said:

This is id after all, but you can't be sure nowadays. And while Tech 5 targets consoles as well as PCs does that mean us PC guys will still get to tweak the game's settings to our heart's content? There are too many multiplatform games with v-sync and resolution as the only options, and sometimes you don't even get v-sync.
Carmack said that you can load up the editor with a simple console-command, or something like that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Square Triangle said:
You're basing this on the install itself? Hahahahahaha
I think its based on the Carmack speech at quakecon where he ranked the releases in order of a vague "quality" by saying pc>360 install>ps3 install.

Solo

id is one of a handful of devs (along wth CDPR, Valve and Blizzard) that reviews aren't needed for in my case. I know I will buy their games, and I know they will be awesome.

IoCaster

Danne-Danger said:
Bethesda is notoriously shitty at marketing.

I really hope that's the case because I'm pre-loaded and ready to dive in when the game unlocks. I have faith in id Software, but the review embargoes are shitting all over my inner vibe. :|

kamspy

Vulcano's assistant said:
how legit is INTKeys?

Very good. They're just out of region games. A few new ones are region locked and require a VPN to activate. Personally, I wouldn't buy any of the region locked ones.

Mastperf

~Kinggi~ said:
I think its based on the Carmack speech at quakecon where he ranked the releases in order of a vague "quality" by saying pc>360 install>ps3 install.
Yeah, I think that's a safe bet given that A) It's John ( I don't bullshit for anyone ) Carmack and B) That's usually how it is with muliti-platform releases.

Solo

At least I have the comfort of knowing that others are sharing my misery. We are the bastard children of Steam.

Pimpbaa

Stupid kids hoggin all the bandwidth! People who were id software fans since the beginning should be the only people allowed to pre-load! Get off my lawn!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
IoCaster said:
Just bethesda being bethesda. Like rockstar they treat their big games' review like they are a gift they bestow upon certain sites wth very specific conditions and embargos. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Top Bottom