• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

IoCaster said:
I really hope that's the case because I'm pre-loaded and ready to dive in when the game unlocks. I have faith in id Software, but the review embargoes are shitting all over my inner vibe. :|
I can stay optimistic because it was even worse with Space Marine and that turned out to be my GOTY for the moment.

Solo

The most annoying part is that since the reset was allegedly a glitch, whenever the hell Steam does let me resume pre-loading, I'll be at like 70% done.

Derrick01

Banned
Prodigal said:
RAGE is also $30 here, but I'm still not sure if I want to risk anything with these sites.

Yeah my biggest worry with these places is not if the game will work, it's sending my CC info to some unknown place in Russia that we're still not sure yet if they're 100% legit. I want to believe though.

DarkChild

Banned
NullPointer said:
Oh I haven't been examining the game footage outside of stuff from a few months ago. I didn't expect id Tech 5 to be a step back in any regard from Doom 3. Just surprised is all.

Maybe I should check out some of your site's footage. You do good work Blim.
id tech 5 is not a step back, it supports RT lighting, Carmack said DOOM 4 is going to bring that on at 30fps. Its just that at 60fps, with quite an open world game and still looking beautiful, its impossible.

Metal-Geo

Solo said:
The most annoying part is that since the reset was allegedly a glitch, whenever the hell Steam does let me resume pre-loading, I'll be at like 70% done.
Didn't you say you reached 40% twice? Should mean you only have 20% left to go.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Real Time lighting was really just an attempt to have the graphics engine handle a lot of the lighting work and save artists a lot of time anyway. Im sure with Rage the artists have achieved an amazing look with the baked stuff that can look a lot better than what a lot of the newer graphics engines render.

Ken

eshwaaz said:
If you mean Borderlands, but with amazing atmosphere and sense of place, great enemy hit and death animations and meaty, satisfying-looking gunplay, then I somewhat agree.
Aside from the fact that both games have a wasteland setting, vehicles, and guns, I don't see any other similarities to Borderlands, unless there's a loot aspect/level up progression that I completely missed?

Derrick01 said:
Yeah my biggest worry with these places is not if the game will work, it's sending my CC info to some unknown place in Russia that we're still not sure yet if they're 100% legit. I want to believe though.
I paid for my Intkeys order through paypal so if they try to scam me I can just file a claim with paypal and get my money back.

Metal-Geo

Solo said:
Yeah, somewhere in that neighborhood.
Well whatever the precise number, you can look what the size of the folder "/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/rage" is. Final size should be around 21.6gb. Might give you a better overlook of your current status. ;)

Solo

Metal-Geo said:
Well whatever the precise number, you can look what the size of the folder "/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/rage" is. Final size should be around 21.6gb. Might give you a better overlook of your current status. ;)

I just checked the properties - 18.8 GB.

GrayFoxPL

Derrick01 said:

Egypt is in Russia?

i just bought it off of int-keys.com lets hope its legit and that I have no problems running it. lets also hope that the game isnt wack.

Flayer

From what I've read about this game it sounds like a more action based Fallout 3 with a hefty component of dune buggy racing? I want to like Rage but I feel slightly confused by it... Anyone got any hands on impressions?

delta25

Banned
sp3000 said:
Nice to see you cannot judge a game's graphics objectively. There is much potential here that has been squandered because Carmack targeted consoles foremost. Id Tech 5 can do so much better than this

The part in bold could easily be argued for all multi platform games and not just Rage, but this doesn't necessarily make all multi platform games with the right developer any less of game just because of certain limitation.

I see nothing wrong with the approach taken with Rage/tech 5 in regards to the optimization and headlining of multiple platforms, If I'm not mistaken id nor Carmack have ever seen anything about the consoles holding anything back. (I could be wrong) Just because the game lacks some uber high end texture work doesn't make any less of an amazing looking game for the console or the PC for that matter.

Okay after 45 minutes with the game the first impression is very positive. Frame rate is extremely smooth; I would say it's 60fps the majority of the time, with outside gameplay dropping slightly. Indoors seems locked at 60. One beef I have is the texture loading; it seems to happen slightly whenever the camera is moved quickly. It's not a deal breaker, but it's noticeable. Graphics are very nice, with great particle effects and art; textures are a mixed bag. Not Uncharted 3 or Gears 3 level, but considering the scale and scope it's very impressive nonetheless. Controls are very smooth and responsive; all I have is a pistol and some wingsticks so far, but the combat is satisfying, and the buggy is a blast to control. I'll post some more impressions later, but so far so good. I can imagine that the PC version will be absolutely gorgeous.

Solo

If id ever releases the high res textures pack, the PC version of the game could legitimately challenge The Witcher 2 for the graphics crown.

Suairyu

Banned
Solo said:
If id ever releases the high res textures pack, the PC version of the game could legitimately challenge The Witcher 2 for the graphics crown.
Well, whatever single area they choose to release the pack for, anyway.

Wallach

Solo said:

To be honest I think it already does.

peakish

delta25 said:
The part in bold could easily be argued for all multi platform games and not just Rage, but this doesn't necessarily make all multi platform games with the right developer any less of game just because of certain limitation.

I see nothing wrong with the approach taken with Rage/tech 5 in regards to the optimization and headlining of multiple platforms, If I'm not mistaken id nor Carmack have ever seen anything about the consoles holding anything back. (I could be wrong) Just because the game lacks some uber high end texture work doesn't make any less of an amazing looking game for the console or the PC for that matter.
He does have a point in that the graphics would look better in a PC exclusive case, though I think the improvements would be more in things like non-baked lighting and effects rather than textures. As Suaryui pointed out they wouldn't ship a 100GB game.

I'm really excited about Rage, but I can't wait to see what Kevin Cloud and his team has cooked up for Doom 4. That should give us some hints of the improvements a PC exclusive Tech 5 title could give us and I'm expecting to be blown away :)

Suairyu

Banned
peakish said:
He does have a point in that the graphics would look better in a PC exclusive case, though I think the improvements would be more in things like non-baked lighting and effects rather than textures.
Would be a pointless 'improvement', to be honest. If you don't need dynamic lights for gameplay reasons, then baked is the way to go, as of course you can do things with baked lighting you couldn't dream of rendering in realtime. See Mirror's Edge for another great example. I love baked lighting.

Solo

My hype level for the respective upcoming (as in "sometime in the next decade, hopefully, lolz) id games is thus:

1. Rage
2. Quake V
3. Doom 4

Rage is #1 because a) it releases in just a few days, b) its id's first game in 7 years, and c) most importantly, because its the first time they've ever tried something so completely out of their comfort zone like this. Quake V beats out Doom 4 simply because Carmack has alluded to having it return to the Quake 1 aesthetic style. All three I am super hyped for though.

GrayFoxPL

perineumlick said:
Okay after 45 minutes with the game the first impression is very positive. Frame rate is extremely smooth; I would say it's 60fps the majority of the time, with outside gameplay dropping slightly. Indoors seems locked at 60. One beef I have is the texture loading; it seems to happen slightly whenever the camera is moved quickly. It's not a deal breaker, but it's noticeable. Graphics are very nice, with great particle effects and art; textures are a mixed bag. Not Uncharted 3 or Gears 3 level, but considering the scale and scope it's very impressive nonetheless. Controls are very smooth and responsive; all I have is a pistol and some wingsticks so far, but the combat is satisfying, and the buggy is a blast to control. I'll post some more impressions later, but so far so good. I can imagine that the PC version will be absolutely gorgeous.

Could I bug you for info how are controls mapped? Can they be remaped?

Derrick01 said:
Intkeys is, least I was told it was.

You quoted a shop in Egypt and went on sending money to Russia.

Wallach

I am definitely down for id revisiting Quake V in the style of the original Quake. Fuck me that sounds amazing right now. What they would do with Tech 5 in that setting...

Domcorleone said:
i just bought it off of int-keys.com lets hope its legit and that I have no problems running it. lets also hope that the game isnt wack.

Yea keep us updated with that I'm curious about those sites

Solo

Wallach said:
I am definitely down for id revisiting Quake V in the style of the original Quake. Fuck me that sounds amazing right now. What they would do with Tech 5 in that setting...

Shamblers. id Tech 5. My god.

peakish

Suairyu said:
Would be a pointless 'improvement', to be honest. If you don't need dynamic lights for gameplay reasons, then baked is the way to go, as of course you can do things with baked lighting you couldn't dream of rendering in realtime. See Mirror's Edge for another great example. I love baked lighting.
But it's cheating!

:)

Solo

Discotheque said:
and a new soundtrack from Reznor...plz

Now that he's an Oscar winning composer, I get the feeling that scoring for a game would be "beneath" him. But I hope I am wrong.

Suairyu

Banned
Cthulu aesthetic Quake returning will indeed be a glorious thing, beaten only by id announcing Doom 4 will be returning to the original Doom play style (I enjoyed 3 a lot though so I'm not slating it or anything).

When is the review embargo up? I know it's id but I already have plenty of games in the backlog. Only if it scores about 9 across the board will this move up the queue in the games I'm playing right now.

Derrick01

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
You quoted a shop in Egypt and went on sending money to Russia.

Well I was talking about that one specifically since I've seen so much talk about it but if it helps at all I trust Egypt with my CC info about as much as I trust Russia.

And I don't trust paypal at all anymore since this

QuantumBro said:
I paid for my Intkeys order through paypal so if they try to scam me I can just file a claim with paypal and get my money back.

happened to me when I tried to sell something through it (except I was the one being scammed). Paypal basically told me tough shit when I contacted them about it.

peakish

Solo said:
I'd love to see id make a BALLS OUT shooter like the original Doom again, for sure.
Frankly, I don't care what they do as long as we get more than one Id game in seven years.

Holy hell has this been a long wait.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
peakish said:
But it's cheating!

:)
No one cares about the actual tech as long as it looks good. Rage looks incredible for a 60 fps game on 6 years old consoles, but I still can't help but notice when a burning projectile falling from the sky doesn't light up the environment around it. It's highly subtle and I guess I'm one of the rare people who actually notice and/or care about it, but that's how I'm :)
That doesn't make this engine any less of an achievement, of course.

It does look like a well made, polished game. Can't say it does anything original so far, but it does it well.
I also think a RPG-like element a-la Fallout could've been nice to have. And why must the protagonist have to be voiceless? It's not like there are multiple choice answers he has to give. How about an option to nod or shake your head with your mouse or controller when you're asked questions by NPC's? Some kind of interaction would be nice.

peakish said:
Frankly, I don't care what they do as long as we get more than one Id game in seven years.

Holy hell has this been a long wait.
Carmack said Doom 4 will be out sooner than you think since the core team of Rage will jump over to speed up development. That's a hell of a lot better sounding to me than Valve keeping us in the dark on Ep. 3, or the near vaporware state of FF Vs. XIII :l

Top Bottom