• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

M.W.

bhlaab said:
Okay, id can officially go fuck themselves. No way I'm going to buy this at full price.

How dare you say anything negative towards id! You're supposed to blow your load at the thought of them!

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Played for about a hour and the pop-in was just to much. I started feeling nauseous about 30 minutes in, not sure if it's the extreme pop-in or the FoV is just that bad.

Salsa

Quick Look looked so damn good. Playing this on Nightmare from the get go. If i get good performance/they fix the issues, of course.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SalsaShark said:
Quick Look looked so damn good. Playing this on Nightmare from the get go. If i get good performance/they fix the issues, of course.
Agreed. Was literally mindblown by the quick look. This is definitely id's best work in terms of art direction, I'm so fucking proud to see them try out huge environmental areas in this game.

FatBaby

Does anyone know if you can unequip the scope you can buy from the store? I rather not have super zoom when using a pistol or a shotgun as you can imagine.

undu

rough review from ars technica: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/10/rage-is-the-gamiest-game-that-ever-gamed.ars

B-Dex

JRW said:
I guess its normal then, I just posted the same question on previous page and im playing PC version (screenshot here).

Yep. I'd even go so far as to say mine is even greener but the same effect.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Holy shit fuck RAGE, these 11.10 drivers given me at least 10 fps increase in Bf3! EIther that or they updated the game.

Wallach

Wallach said:
GAF I'm working hard, please help.

+set com_allowConsole 1

Set that as a launch property, gives use the dev console.

When in-game, open the console and use

listCvars

This gives us a list of all possible Cvars.

HELP ME HELP YOU.

So vt_singleStep is set to -1 by default, on 1 or 0 it seems to like kill the texture streaming. Thing is that means anything that is currently LOD down out of view stays that way, and if you load a save game it crashes.

I probably won't mess with it much more tonight since I'm tired but the entire vt_ subsection in cvars seems to be megatexture cvars.

Salsa

DannyB (music from Super Meat Boy/Isaac) has no issues it seems, lol

iwfqQ.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking RAGE, indeed. I'm not going to let this ruin my night anymore. I'll go read a book before bed instead of dealing with this bullshit texture pop-in, muddy textures, poor performance, and random crashing. The game seems like fun, but id certainly didn't give enough of a fuck to ensure I could enjoy it. I'm most angry that I actually went against my normal policy of generally never paying over $50 for a PC game, because, like Blizzard, I was willing to make an exception for id.

Dramatic, I know, but I certainly didn't expect id to betray PC gamers. Crazy.

Matt_C

Matt_C said:
Installing now from retail copy.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
Gigabyte Technology GA-MA780G-UD3H
Catalyst 11.9

Hope this works

UPDATE

The game was somewhat playable and sounds good. Sadly, I have that Metal Gear Solid 2 style glitching going on when I walk about and the occasional slide show screen tearing. Fortunately, I did not experience the N64 styled texture load issues yet one time I was autostraffing during a gunfight. Thankfully, I think the solid state drive and the 8gigs of RAM helped out in making the game somewhat playable. Please AMD/iD, fix this game!

Salsa

Demigod Mac said:
Amused at all the "canceling my order" comments here.

Because PC games never get patched....

Agreed, but..

GhostRidah said:
They should never be released in this state in the first place.

also agreed

Zefah said:
Fucking RAGE, indeed. I'm not going to let this ruin my night anymore. I'll go read a book before bed instead of dealing with this bullshit texture pop-in, muddy textures, poor performance, and random crashing. The game seems like fun, but id certainly didn't give enough of a fuck to ensure I could enjoy it. I'm most angry that I actually went against my normal policy of generally never paying over $50 for a PC game, because, like Blizzard, I was willing to make an exception for id.

Dramatic, I know, but I certainly didn't expect id to betray PC gamers. Crazy.

I hardly call it that really. Id only start throwing that around if they fail to release a patch soon for people having the issues, wich, after release meltdown passed a bit, boils down to mostly ATI users.

jackdoe

Truespeed said:
I stopped reading when he started whining about the Save system. Apparently, it was too bothersome for him to manually save and he got frustrated from going back to the checkpoints when he died.
I don't blame him. No quicksave hotkey on consoles! Haha.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Demigod Mac said:

Oh, I'm sure it will be patched eventually. Who knows how much will be fixed, though, and who knows when a patch will arrive. If I didn't pre-order and pre-load on Steam, I would have cancelled my order, too.

No point in paying console prices for a broken piece of software. Might as well wait for a few patches and pick the game up for a price that is discounted by $20 or more during a sale in the next few months.

Eusis

Demigod Mac said:

It does, on the other hand, make sense to wait until they're actually patched and likely have a bigger discount on them. Why pay $60 when it'll be $30 by the time I'll be confident to play it?

Of course, I WOULD hope id could get this patched quickly, but even a week or two buffer can get you $10 or $20 off.

Zefah said:
That's sure as hell what it feels like, and there's the problem with autodetecting in a nutshell.

GTA4 acted the same way with me at first - didn't recognize I had so much damn video memory so it assumed I had none. Wonderful.

I got a little farther into the game just to see. Tons of flickering, including people that just disappear entirely at times. Texture loading in the absolute first area was the worst I've seen but after that it comes and goes. Got far enough to run directly into the green shadows mess and my framerate is still crap. So yeah, not really playable.

kitch9 said:
What video options do the pc lot get?

I swear I saw a post that said there was no option to enable V Sync?

What the fuck is that all about?
Yep, no v-synch allowed. Even Bethesda support recommends forcing it through the video card. I tired and couldnt get it to work. Or, maybe it is but my game can't get to 60fps anyway.

Only options in the PC version are resolution, x2, x4 and x8 AA and brightness.

Skirn

Demigod Mac said:

Yeah, it'll probably get patched, but you'd be insane to buy it at this state. Might as well wait for the patch and then buy it. One may run into sweet deals, too.

Edit: Beaten.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dmax3901 said:
How is 57:05 a quick look. How.
It's Giant Bomb... there are 1:45h quick looks :lol

Square Triangle said:
This game runs insanely smooth that my eyes hurt. Weird.

Yep!

Every now and then I play a game with so much damn fidelity, it actually starts to hurt my eyes!

Off of the top of my head the following games do this:

Killzone2/3
Uncharted1/2
Castlevania: Lords of Shadows
Lost Planet1/2

Zeliard

Truespeed said:
I stopped reading when he started whining about the Save system. Apparently, it was too bothersome for him to manually save and he got frustrated from going back to the checkpoints when he died.

Please tell me there isn't an actual manual save system in the game that he simply ignored.

Top Bottom