• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
AMD here. Textures are running away from me, and my FPS is having a stroke.

Not cool.

Smash88

Banned
DopeyFish said:
this makes me rage because i need specific drivers from alienware and well... those haven't been updated, ever.

fuck.

Ummm what are you talking about? You don't need some random drivers from Alienware for an ATI video card, which I assume you are talking about.

ctrayne said:
To be fair, those were patched out pretty quick, and on my SSD I never had stuttering. But I totally feel you, mang. I'm still pre-ordering a few titles though, because on the whole, I still have pretty good experiences. RF:A ran perfect out of the box, so I've put my money down for Saints Row: TT.
It was but the problem is these things should not even make it to retail, its one of the only reasons I like console gaming.

ctrayne

GhostRidah said:
It was but the problem is these things should not even make it to retail, its one of the only reasons I like console gaming.
And I totally agree, stuff should work out the door.

EvilDick34 said:
Yes i know that guy but if you look under specifications, it says only NVIDIA 400 AND 500 SERIES support OpenGL 4.2
My fault, didn't see that.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
AMD drivers + Rage = fucked up. Somehow I managed to fuck my drivers nicely. My second gpu is not even recognized, sigh.....

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Smash88 said:
Ummm what are you talking about? You don't need some random drivers from Alienware for an ATI video card, which I assume you are talking about.

iirc yes i do, or else specific hardware (like HDMI in) won't work

and also... it's not like i didn't try to update them, it just said the hardware was incompatible with the update and i need to go to my laptop vendor.

Doc Holliday said:
AMD drivers + Rage = fucked up. Somehow I managed to fuck my drivers nicely. My second gpu is not even recognized, sigh.....
I couldn't enable CrossFire and then saw that the AMD External Events service had crashed. Tried to restart the service but no dice. Restarted my machine and then everything was recognized and enabled in CCC.

For what its worth.

Man

OpenGL 4.2 mentioned yet again but haven't seen a proper source anywhere ever that Rage uses this. Sounds unlikely.

Kraftwerk

Chortled when I saw this:

ajilejay said:
The game takes place in real life about a person trying to play game named rage in which he himself is raging that he cannot play rage and all the while he doesn't realize that in failing to do so he is actually playing Rage which is the game about not playing rage. It's so Meta! The next generation of gaming is also the next generation of not gaming at the same time. The graphics were so real I didn't realize I was already playing...Do you really think that is air you are breathing....?

Icwhatudidtherejohncarmack

FrankT

How long does that 8GB PS3 install take. Single player discs take nearly 30 minutes on 360. Anyhow 8mb update on the start as well. But at least she will work on go.

MisterAnderson said:
To make matters worse I just noticed my brand new backlit mechanical keyboard's 'j' just went out...gotta fucking exchange it now. RAAGEEE

My down arrow is out. Now, my comma key is flickering. >:|

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Marcellus Wallace said:
How about some more non PC impressions? Anyone?

I played and beat a review copy over the weekend (360) and here's how I feel: *slight spoilers ahead*

The game is pretty good.

-The gunplay feels awesome in the beginning of the game, the hit reactions on regular enemies is amazing - people buckle, wince, trip, etc. It looks awesome, especially when you hit them with some of the heavier weapons and ammo. Unfortunately, this fucks up later on because a ton of the enemies are boring bullet sponges. You're supposed to use special ammo types to circumvent this but they still take a lot of hits.

-Side quests are useless. Most of them feature you going back to a story mission and doing it again with tougher enemies, sans any kind of story. It's boring padding.

-The driving feels great getting from place to place (except the ATV - it feels weirdly sticky) but it doesn't really feel right for racing. The controls are sort of finicky and some of the tracks have stupid invisible walls that you can snag on if you go off the track or ramp too high in the air. Car combat is fun though.

-The story is tripe. There's pretty much no motivation to keep moving forward, and things really drop off when you go to the second hub. By then you'll have most of the weapons, access to tons of cash to buy mats and ammo, and you'll have two or three levels of armor upgrade.

break to warn of ultra spoilers!

On the second disc, you migrate from a red desert to... a gray desert. It was pretty disappointing. The second hub town is pretty cool though.

Highlight here to return to gameplay related mini spoilers:

-The world is actually fairly small.

-The guns are all pretty awesome, in particular the shotguns and the crossbow.

-There are minigames, but other than a novel little Magic: The Gathering knockoff they're pretty forgettable. The best part of the game is shooting dudes in the face and looking at the gorgeous graphics.

-It IS amazing on 360. The image quality, framerate, animation... gobsmacking. Probably the best looking console game I've played this year.

My review will be going up tomorrow morning, so if people are interested I'll link it.

Paches

So, debate resolved by the sounds of it in here. Romero > Carmack?

20110128203738!Trollface.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I decided to uninstall my drivers after trying to "Rage hotfix", and then ran Driver Sweeper. I rebooted and installed the 11.6 Catalyst drivers (what I was using this morning), and now the flickering/screen tearing problem is completely gone!

The horrible texture pop-in (spinning around is hilariously bad) and relatively poor framerate are still present, though.

So are all (or the vast majority of) the pc users freaking out owners of ati cards? I played the game for about an hour, the only issue I experienced was the annoying screen tearing, which I took care of by forcing vsync through the nvidia control panel. I've noticed some minor texture pop-in if I spin around fast enough, but nothing as heinous as that youtube video a page or two back.

Game seems to get off on a slow burn after the opening, about the only strong opinion I have at this point is that guns and enemy reactions to being hit feel really satisfying. I love going for a headshot, watching the bandits helmet pop off as he staggers back. I also love the movement patterns of the melee-centric enemies that bound and roll around, wish the a.i. was a little on the brighter side though.

Teknoman

Zefah said:
Damn. I don't think I've experienced such a bad launch of a PC game years.

I'm full of RAGE right now, alright. I think I need to go ly down.

Did you play Brink? Dead Island was a little shaky too.

Took a leap of probably dumb and impossible faith, but asked for a refund from Steam. Should have just waited for a sale, but the hype got to me! Nothing against RAGE (besides the aforementioned glitches and such), but just too many games to play to pay $60 for this game at this time.

*fingers cross*

Please tell me how stupid I am for thinking Steam will refund me :p

Saren is Bad said:
Took a leap of probably dumb and impossible faith, but asked for a refund from Steam. Should have just waited for a sale, but the hype got to me! Nothing against RAGE (besides the aforementioned glitches and such), but just too many games to play to pay $60 for this game at this time.

*fingers cross*

Hope you get it, if you do I will follow suit and buy this on a sale.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Saren is Bad said:

*fingers cross*

You get one refund per the life of your account, iirc.

Saren is Bad said:

*fingers cross*

They'll probably (99%) tell you no, but if you reply but I've hardly played it blah blah, there are a lot of people who experience issues, etc there's a chance, they'll say alright.

Zimbardo

Brink is the only true stand out as being a real piece of shit on launch day, imo (from pre orders that i bought) ...but it was also fucked on consoles from what i hear.

Dead Island was a little shaky, but nothing right terrible. was patched up quick at least.

Brink was the worst i've seen anyway.

Rage is working good for me. i just completed the first quest.

am i the only one not having any real issues here?

Cipherr

The game takes place in real life about a person trying to play game named rage in which he himself is raging that he cannot play rage and all the while he doesn't realize that in failing to do so he is actually playing Rage which is the game about not playing rage. It's so Meta! The next generation of gaming is also the next generation of not gaming at the same time. The graphics were so real I didn't realize I was already playing...Do you really think that is air you are breathing....?

LOL!!! I cant fucking breaaaathe!! I think I need to get some sleep. Im starting to crack.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I don't complain often but Rage's release on PC is a clusterfuck (got the Steam version). There's massive screen tearing (and I am usually not even that sensitive to it), and way too much pop-in. The only option to customize the graphics is antialiasing (2x, 4x) and resolution, there's not even a choice of what type of AA. This wouldn't be a big deal if the visuals weren't so buggy. I'll wait for the patch before playing more. The game looks fantastic though. I mean, incredibly fantastic. Best looking game I've played hands down. If they can just fix these issues, I can't wait to get back into it. The gameplay and the world feels really good so far. Love driving that little 4x4.

Can't believe they released the game in this state though. I hope the console versions are better.

I am a bit tired of publishers releasing games with the notion that they can just patch it later.

Again, aside from these issues my first impressions are very, very good.

Zimbardo said:
Brink is the only true stand out as being a real piece of shit on launch day, imo (from pre orders that i bought) ...but it was also fucked on consoles from what i hear.

Dead Island was a little shaky, but nothing right terrible. was patched up quick at least.

Brink was the worst i've seen anyway.

Rage is working good for me. i just completed the first quest.

am i the only one not having any real issues here?

No issues here either.

Smokey

So wait...it's just AMD users? Sorry bros, but I hope that's the case here lol

I'm getting the disc version tomorrow and I'm on the green team...crossing fingers.

Smash88

Banned
DopeyFish said:
iirc yes i do, or else specific hardware (like HDMI in) won't work

and also... it's not like i didn't try to update them, it just said the hardware was incompatible with the update and i need to go to my laptop vendor.

Damn dude, I've honestly never heard about something like that before, I feel for you.

That is some serious PC hostage shit.

Top Bottom