• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Pimpbaa

Smokey said:
So wait...it's just AMD users? Sorry bros, but I hope that's the case here lol

I'm getting the disc version tomorrow and I'm on the green team...crossing fingers.

You should be fine. Just make sure to get the latest beta drivers. I don't know if previous versions have issues, but I updated and the game is running fine on my geforce 460 (60fps no tearing or any other issue).

Truespeed

Smokey said:
WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON? PEOPLE IM'ING ME ABOUT THIS SHIT? WHAT HAS ID DONE. I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THE YOUTUBE FOOTAGE.

ATI dropped the
amigaBallAni.gif

Aptos

i7 920 @ 3.5GHz
6GB of 1666MHz RAM
Radeon HD 5870 @ 890/1290 MHz

Absolutely terrible screen tearing and texture pop-in. Unplayable IMO... Also green ass shadows :/

n0b

Slowdown (mostly in the overworld, not too bad elsewhere), pop-in, and dialogue lines cutting off before they are finished. Using ATI though, so that seems to be the issue. ):

From what I can tell the game will actually be good when they get this shit together though. Really like the art design, and the shooting feels nice and meaty. If it weren't for the pop-in I would actually say using unique textures over tiled textures really makes a difference for the big picture.

Hopefully they can fix it relatively quickly. The slow patching was why I gave up on Brink, which I was liking but was just running bad.

Also, it crashed once.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well with the 11.6 catalyst drivers, at least the game is somewhat playable. The flickering and screen tearing are completely gone, but goddamn if the texture pop-in isn't as bad as ever. It wasn't so bad while on the buggy in the wasteland, but everywhere else it was ass. The game certainly isn't running at 60fps most of the time either.

I made it a bit into the first "instance" and had a bit of fun shooting guys, despite the texture issues, but then the game crashed on me "Rage has stopped working". Yay...

I'm definitely not impressed with this game so far. The art direction is great, and I love the direction they are going for, but the game looks pretty damn bad. These are some of the muddiest textures I've seen in the last five years or more. Even when fully loaded, most of the texture look really, really bad. Of course, that might just be due to the engine picking lower res texture--I have no way to tell since there aren't any graphics options to play with.

Another big disappointment for me is the complete lack of interaction with the environment. Everything is static, and I don't think the game has a physics engine to speak of. Hell, you don't even get a little bullet whole decal on windows when you shoot them. I'm sure if everything was looking how it should, the game would be a pretty sight, but the static nature of the environment definitely doesn't make it feel like a modern game.

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
firehawk12 said:
You get one refund per the life of your account, iirc.
Seriously? I might actually have to try that then. This situation would almost seem to warrant using that refund up. I'm definitely going to be more hesitant about preordering now, that's for sure.

Chanser

img8939.jpg

I'm so glad I didn't pre-order this, after I got stung by Brink. I think it's time to move to Nvidia as my next graphics card.

Wallach

GAF I'm working hard, please help.

+set com_allowConsole 1

Set that as a launch property, gives use the dev console.

When in-game, open the console and use

listCvars

This gives us a list of all possible Cvars.

HELP ME HELP YOU.

Rage is running perfect on my machine. Butter smooth. Some video options would be awesome though. Some of the most hit and miss art I've ever seen. Texture res is so horrible in places, it's almost hard to believe. But hot damn, those vistas are gorgeous.

Game feels incredibly old school, but not so much in a good way. Very linear so far. Now I can see what the Gamasutra interview was about.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
its not screen tearing anymore either just getting blurry textures if i turn to fast

edit: everyone needs to get the 11.6 drivers sooooo much better

Truespeed

Vustadumas said:
Rage is running perfect on my machine. Butter smooth. Some video options would be awesome though. Some of the most hit and miss art I've ever seen. Texture res is so horrible in places, it's almost hard to believe. But hot damn, those vistas are gorgeous.

Game feels incredibly old school, but not so much in a good way. Very linear so far. Now I can see what the Gamasutra interview was about.

Saw this in the Steam forums Link.

pakkit

Banned
Playing Superior Xbox Version on my 1080p monitor (getting a little picky, eh).

Impressions:

I'm a little over one hour in, and I'm playing very meticulously.

Positives:

+This is obviously a game that wants you to look at it. There are a lot of unique textures and art assets being used.
+60 FPS is immediately noticable on consoles, and makes the generally sluggish gamepad controls feel twitchy. Feels good man, but I need some time to adjust.
+Texture pop-in is less than half a second, and very negligible. Doesn't bother me.
+This isn't a "brown" shooter. The artists at id have definitely gotten prioritized. The vistas are already incredible, and well put together. These touches are what give the barebones story flourish. For example, I can tell that the Ghost clan are hoarders from their metallic scarecrows made out of lamp posts and other contemporary metal goods.
+The sound design is good so far. The pistol feels a little too tinny, but other than that the ambiance is great. The sound of the wind whistling through a timeworn apartment complex changes from room to room.
+I can already tell Wingsticks are awesome, and having to cook grenades to get kills is something that I've always thought more games should implement. You're rewarded handsomely too, with dat blood mist.
+I like the enemy behavior. There seems to be plenty of variation already. I'm not sure if it's AI or prescripted, but it's worked well so far.
Negatives:
-The artists and high frame rate at id have definitely gotten prioritized, at the expense of some interactivity many gamers take for granted at this point. The player's model does not cast shadows against the gameworld. Shooting non-enemies rarely results in anything satisfying (I shot a small lamp, and it just showed a bullet hole). It's not that id tech5 can't do these small scale physics/effects, it's just that id has forgone these techniques to maximize preformance on consoles. The effect, so far, is a game that is beautiful to look at, but it's lack of life makes it feel a little more static than it should.
- Everyone is asking me favors up front in exchange for swag. I may have underestimated how much this game resembles Borderlands in structure.
- The buggy isn't that fun to use (and the player animates unnaturally in 3rd-person while driving it), but it's an introductory vehicle so I'll give that a pass.
- At least on Hard difficulty, headshots aren't always giving me a one shot kill. That seems wrong to me. If I shoot someone in the brain, they should stay down.
- Enemies drop weapons that you can't pick up. It wouldn't bother me too much if my arsenal wasn't limited to a pistol in these first couple of missions.

This game is still starting, so I'll hold my breath. It feels good so far, but not great. Still, the game is about the guns and gunplay, and I've not even tapped the arsenal so far. Not to mention crafting, racing, or the card game (WTF there's a card game in this?).

DopeyFish said:
iirc yes i do, or else specific hardware (like HDMI in) won't work

and also... it's not like i didn't try to update them, it just said the hardware was incompatible with the update and i need to go to my laptop vendor.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

I believe the above site gives you working drivers for those laptops that cannot get them installed. It's been a few years since I used it. Not quite sure if there is anything bad about the drivers though.

pottuvoi

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Open GL games. It's been this way since Doom 3.
AMD/Ati has always had problems with their drivers, especially on OpenGL.
I'm suprised that people thought it had changed during time when next to no OpenGL games were released.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
pottuvoi said:
AMD/Ati has always had problems with their drivers, especially on OpenGL.
I'm suprised that people thought it had changed during time when next to no OpenGL games were released.
I usually stick with a stable set of GPU drivers and I rarely have issues, green or red. Open GL games are an exception to that.

kitch9

Banned
Chanser said:
img8939.jpg

I'm so glad I didn't pre-order this, after I got stung by Brink. I think it's time to move to Nvidia as my next graphics card.

Don't bother.

I run both AMD and Nvidia in two rigs, and they both have issues like this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I got the console working... anyway to up texture res and stop it from failing to load?

pottuvoi

Banned
SapientWolf said:
I usually stick with a stable set of GPU drivers and I rarely have issues, green or red. Open GL games are an exception to that.
I should have worded that slightly differently, yes.
Their DX drivers have gotten very good in comparison to what they were in old good times. (Ati RAGE. ;))

JRW

The game is running great here, solid 60fps @ 1080p, played a little over an hour, however I'm not sure about the green shadows im seeing in some areas? For example: http://i.imgur.com/jSvZY.jpg ,Not normal or?

i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / GTX 480 / Win7 64

B-Dex

I didn't notice when playing before on a different tv but my PS3 version has very green dark areas. Like where it's shadowy it'll have a green tint.... is it like that for everyone else?

(The rest of the colours look fine and normal. Even the menu is normal.)

kitch9

Banned
What video options do the pc lot get?

I swear I saw a post that said there was no option to enable V Sync?

What the fuck is that all about?

Wallach said:
GAF I'm working hard, please help.

+set com_allowConsole 1

Set that as a launch property, gives use the dev console.

When in-game, open the console and use

listCvars

This gives us a list of all possible Cvars.

HELP ME HELP YOU.

So, they are saying achievments will be disabled if you enable the console. Be warned, if you care about shit like that, lol :p

JRW

B-Dex said:
I didn't notice when playing before on a different tv but my PS3 version has very green dark areas. Like where it's shadowy it'll have a green tint.... is it like that for everyone else?

(The rest of the colours look fine and normal. Even the menu is normal.)

I guess its normal then, I just posted the same question on previous page and im playing PC version (screenshot here).

Top Bottom