• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

KKRT00

kuroshiki said:
Win 7 is dirt cheap and works wonderfully. I can't fathom of going back to XP after used 7 for 2 years.

Why do you still use XP, btw?
I dont change things that work and everytime i need to do something on win7, it piss off me with control panel changes, directory access, start panel or taskbar :)

I was going to change to win7 after PC upgrade, but it still hasnt happened ;\

Any news on AMD driver front?

I case anyone was wondering, this runs like absolute dogshit on a 4870.

Now, this is probably Id's fault more than anyone's, but my next card will be green, I'm sick of this shit.

Grayman

nacire said:
Are you guys getting distortion or a sort of fish eye lens effect when you adjust the fov? I couldn't increase it without it causing this effect so I went back to default.
how much did you increase it?

FOV always had some form of the effect. I am not sure where it gets weird in 16:9. I would use 110 or 102 in 4:3. Rage looks ok to me with 102 in 16:9 but I am used to wider FOVs.

Keep in mind that with cvaradd being needed you got to check what your fov is to start with. If you did cvaradd g_fov 90 on the default view you would be super skewed.

Grayman

Fallout-NL said:

Now, this is probably Id's fault more than anyone's, but my next card will be green, I'm sick of this shit.
I have been buying green cards but just from comments in threads it seems that AMD cards usually have many more problems with new releases compared to nvidia.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright I found the cause of the constant 4-5 second freezes, it wasn't graphics related it was my piece of shit Logitech G35. Now normally when running one of the (many, many, MANY) games that don't work properly with that dogshit headset you can switch the driver to a default USB driver and get it working at the cost of losing surround sound. Well Rage was freezing up even on the regular USB driver, I disabled the thing entirely and no more random freezes.

Thing is going in the bin and I'm getting a non USB headset tomorrow. What a headache that thing turned out to be.

Victrix

*beard*
My friend had a similar issue when his headset was hooked up. Why a USB headset would have any impact on Rage framerates is a question best left up to the PC gaming gods.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Victrix said:
My friend had a similar issue when his headset was hooked up. Why a USB headset would have any impact on Rage framerates is a question best left up to the PC gaming gods.

There are so many games that don't work right with the G35, it's just a craptacular headset.

Actually let me rephrase that, the headset is great, Logitechs drivers are dogshit.

a176 said:
i am playing on
e6300
3gb ddr2
8800 gts 512
playing @ 2048x1152 @ 60

:)

my tweaks:
enabled cache folder and +fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024
8192 conf file
disable ansio + aa + force hq texture filtering in nv control panel

i still get minor pop in, but nothing as bad as default config, and no stuttering or slow downs

Can I trouble you for a copy & paste of exactly the lines you've used in your config file?

In the meantime, I'm using stock settings and it's running great! No slow-down or stuttering, no graphical glitches, nothing. Maybe some will crop up, but I've just
done the first mission for Hagar at the bandit camp
and nothing bar a little texture pop. Maybe I'm not as discerning as other people...but it looks great and the shooting is amazing.

Imagine what'll happen when I get more than a pistol. Heh heh.

Any mid/low end users with any other tips for the CCC or configs?

It's running so poorly on my PC that I basically feel like Id stole money from me. I have an I5 2500K and an AMD 6950. I should be able to at least load the game. I've downloaded the AMD drivers and tried a bunch of the tweaks and I can barely get it to start.

DoctorZ

Downloading now.

I'll try all the tips in this thread. Hope it runs nice.

AMD phenom II x4 3.2ghz
GTX 480
4gb ddr3

KKRT00 said:
I dont change things that work and everytime i need to do something on win7, it piss off me with control panel changes, directory access, start panel or taskbar :)

I was going to change to win7 after PC upgrade, but it still hasnt happened ;\

Any news on AMD driver front?
Everything reaches end of life for support. What has me always scratching my head is seeing people with dx10 and dx11 cards holding onto XP.

You can't expect indefinite support. Maybe the day hasn't come yet, but it sure looks close. Rage works on windows 7 after all.

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
thanks! i think i will hold off on it a bit and work on my back log. when i get around to playing my PC games again i'll bite and see how it fairs. will probably double my ram too, but also because my gf uses my machine as a render box.

if it's giving me performance issues i'll move forward with my planned xfire setup and try again. the performance gains with the 6850 have been really good supposedly. just hope a decent profile is made for Rage by then.

FWIW, I kept a good frame rate using 8192 with my 6850.

This is what I'm looking at. Not perfect but it works..

52D7EA341721B7520BD8E899D05D070A6F334DF5

FoolsRun

Fallout-NL said:
Did you install the special Rage drivers? I have a 4870 as well, but since I'm on Vista, I'm still waiting for a fix that gives me more than 5 frames/minute. I'm hoping the drivers ATI plans to release today are for both 7 and Vista.

My current rig is 3 years old and I hope to get another year out of it before doing a complete upgrade. The thing is, it works great with virtually every game I have, so there's not much incentive for me to shell out $900 bucks or so for new hardware. I know the 512MB of video RAM won't do the textures in RAGE any favors, but I'm hoping I get something that's actually playable.

mandiller

Quick questions:

1. Anyway to fix the green shadows? (Or are green shadows intentional for some crazy reason?)

2. Any way to make right mouse button a toggle, rather than hold it down to look down the gun sights?

mandiller said:
Quick questions:

1. Anyway to fix the green shadows? (Or are green shadows intentional for some crazy reason?)

2. Any way to make right mouse button a toggle, rather than hold it down to look down the gun sights?
Green shadows are an artistic choice, not a glitch of any kind. Its just colour grading, and its only certain areas.

Lame im only getting like 45 fps on 6950 2 gig using 8k config 1080p.
And a lot of not responding. Shame really wanted to try Rage or does it get better later on maybe its my cpu its a amd 955x4 but im waiting for bulldozer or ivy bridge later on.

FoolsRun said:
Did you install the special Rage drivers? I have a 4870 as well, but since I'm on Vista, I'm still waiting for a fix that gives me more than 5 frames/minute. I'm hoping the drivers ATI plans to release today are for both 7 and Vista.

My current rig is 3 years old and I hope to get another year out of it before doing a complete upgrade. The thing is, it works great with virtually every game I have, so there's not much incentive for me to shell out $900 bucks or so for new hardware. I know the 512MB of video RAM won't do the textures in RAGE any favors, but I'm hoping I get something that's actually playable.
It is playable, I have the same card and the game runs at 60 fps, only problem is textures are messed up, after countless reinstalls of my drivers I give up.

denomes

FoolsRun said:

I'm in the same boat but I have a 5670. Waiting on Vista drivers and some feedback from people with 5-series cards.

I'm not expecting miracles, just a confirmed solution that makes the game playable before jumping in. I guess we'll see when the new drivers come out.

GhostRidah said:
It is playable, I have the same card and the game runs at 60 fps, only problem is textures are messed up, after countless reinstalls of my drivers I give up.

60 fps would be great. Hopefully the texture stuff gets sorted out. How much RAM do you have?

denomes

GhostRidah said:

I only have 4GB. 60fps for me is probably out of the question, unless the new drivers perform miracles.

I hope that I can get performance at least comparable to what's on the consoles, but maybe that's asking too much.

Just finished the first part with the
bandit hideout killing

Pretty consistently high (60FPS) framerate with the 8192 textures (using the .cfg from post #2). Some dips and tearing. I understand there is a solution to the screen-tearing that I'm gonna try and implement tonight. Hoping that another 8GB of RAM that I have on the way from newegg will clean-up the dips in frames I'm getting.

i5 2500k (stock)
GTX 570 1.25GB
4GB DDR3

Jubbly

MikeE21286 said:
Just finished the first part with the
bandit hideout killing

Pretty consistently high (60FPS) framerate with the 8192 textures (using the .cfg from post #2). Some dips and tearing. I understand there is a solution to the screen-tearing that I'm gonna try and implement tonight. Hoping that another 8GB of RAM that I have on the way from newegg will clean-up the dips in frames I'm getting.

i5 2500k (stock)
GTX 570 1.25GB
4GB DDR3

The RAM should have little to no effect on FPS. Check out that geforce article for more info: http://www.geforce.com/News/article...-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, Rage uses little RAM. I don't think I've seen it go over ~550MB, so even 2GB of system RAM would be enough provided you're not running a circus of background programs. I myself am managing just fine with 3GB.

54-46!

JaseC said:
Yeah, Rage uses little RAM. I don't think I've seen it go over ~550MB, so even 2GB of system RAM would be enough provided you're not running a circus of background programs. I myself am managing just fine with 3GB.
How come they don't use some of it for textures instead of using up all of the GPU memory?

JaseC said:

Thought I was reading somewhere (maybe this thread? --- it's all blurring together :p ) that more RAM (not only vRAM) would help out. Could be wrong :? Anyway, did not purchases the RAM specifically for RAGE, just because it was a great deal.

Running on:

Phenom X4 9950BE @ 2.6Ghz
HD4850 1GB
4GB DDR2

Running great for me at 720p 4xAA, constant 60fps and very little popin. Using 8k config and forcing Vsync and tripple buffering.

Mr_eX

Is anyone using a controller to play this? I was playing on my TV last night and the controls just felt off, like there was input lag. Maybe I should turn off vsync or triple buffering.

Sysgen

Mr_eX said:
Is anyone using a controller to play this? I was playing on my TV last night and the controls just felt off, like there was input lag. Maybe I should turn off vsync or triple buffering.

What kind of TV do you have and what setting is it on?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
MikeE21286 said:
Thought I was reading somewhere (maybe this thread? --- it's all blurring together :p ) that more RAM (not only vRAM) would help out. Could be wrong :? Anyway, did not purchases the RAM specifically for RAGE, just because it was a great deal.

As long as there's a gig to spare for Rage itself there's no need to worry about a system RAM bottleneck, and, really, a gig is being generous.

Mr_eX said:

Using a PS3 controller here and feels great to me. Make sure the TV is in game mode. Gunplay is great in this game, just wish i didnt have to do all the other stuff to get to it. Spend most of the time pressing A over dead bodies lol sure wish i could just walk over items to pick them up!!

Any ideas how this game would run on my Laptop or what the ideal settings would be?

Specs:
i7-2630QM
1GB GDDR5 Radeon HD 6770M
6GB DDR3 RAM
1366x768 (1080p if I plug in my monitor)

I'm assuming it would look better than if I got the PS3 version but this thread kind of scares me.

Houston3000 said:
Any ideas how this game would run on my Laptop or what the ideal settings would be?

Specs:
i7-2630QM
1GB GDDR5 Radeon HD 6770M
6GB DDR3 RAM
1366x768 (1080p if I plug in my monitor)

I'm assuming it would look better than if I got the PS3 version but this thread kind of scares me.

After the ATI Rage fix/driver package, you should have no issues. I've had nothing but a smooth experience thus far.

aeolist

Banned
Sinatar said:
There are so many games that don't work right with the G35, it's just a craptacular headset.

Actually let me rephrase that, the headset is great, Logitechs drivers are dogshit.
I had a Logitech USB mike plugged in but not even turned on.

Unplugged it and it's been smooth sailing for me, so weird.

denomes

ShadowRunner said:
Running on:

Phenom X4 9950BE @ 2.6Ghz
HD4850 1GB
4GB DDR2

Running great for me at 720p 4xAA, constant 60fps and very little popin. Using 8k config and forcing Vsync and tripple buffering.

You give me hope. I plan to play at 720p as well, as I do with most games. I favor effects over resolution, for the most part.

My graphics card is only 512MB though (Radeon 5670). Should I even attempt the 8K config?

aeolist said:
I had a Logitech USB mike plugged in but not even turned on.

Unplugged it and it's been smooth sailing for me, so weird.

Strangely, my USB Logitech headset hasn't given me any guff. Not going to look this gift horse in the mouth.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Well I could play the game before, but after the driver update from ATI I couldn't get past the Bethesda video, disabled that and got into the game with the cfg file set 8192. Was playing ok, but getting weird glitches on the bandits and mutants. It was like the textures not being drawn on the moving parts like arms and legs. Adjusted settings in drivers disabling Catalyst AI, disable cfg file, role back drivers and now it's like that constantly. I just gave up and removed it from my computer.

Smokey

angular graphics said:
Just quoting this from the nvidia article:

comparison gif

It is really quite horrifying what the Auto Balancer does to this game.

Speaking of graphics to anybody else that has a Nvidia 3D Vision Kit, I don't think Rage will work. It's OpenGL and the 3D kit only works with DirectX games if I'm not mistaken. But then again in Nvidia's driver it says they created a 3D profile for the game. Doesn't work though :(

scitek

The game just started stuttering for me again out of nowhere. It was RadeonPro causing the issue before. No clue what's causing it now.

Mr_eX

Sysgen said:
Also that TV has been noted for excessive input lag even in game mode (just based on a quick search).
I did a lot of research before buying my TV. It was originally said to have bad input lag due to someone either doing the input lag test wrong or had a faulty panel. It was later proven false. The input lag in game mode is around 30ms(I've tested it myself and it matches the other tests I've seen on avs) which is mostly unnoticeable.

MountZion

Neo Member
I have got it mostly working now after a bunch of re-installs and trimming the fat in my rageconfig.

It pretty much runs at a solid 60fps but UNLESS I jump on the buggy to ride it. Frame rate instantly goes down to 30. Looking at the exact same vista, not moving whatsoever, gives me 60 fps standing, 30fps sitting on the buggy. (measured with fraps)

Is anybody experiencing something similar?

Just for shits and giggles here is my config:

com_AllowConsole 1
com_SkipIntroVideo 1
fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024
vt_usecudatranscode 2
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4
vt_minlod -1
image_usecompression 0

Launch options:
+fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024 +cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1

This is on a 580 1.5GB, 990x, 12gb

scitek

MountZion said:
I have got it mostly working now after a bunch of re-installs and trimming the fat in my rageconfig.

It pretty much runs at a solid 60fps but UNLESS I jump on the buggy to ride it. Frame rate instantly goes down to 30. Looking at the exact same vista, not moving whatsoever, gives me 60 fps standing, 30fps sitting on the buggy. (measured with fraps)

Is anybody experiencing something similar?

Just for shits and giggles here is my config:

com_AllowConsole 1
com_SkipIntroVideo 1
fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024
vt_usecudatranscode 2
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_maxaniso 4
vt_restart
image_anisotropy 4
vt_minlod -1
image_usecompression 0

Launch options:
+fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024 +cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1

This is on a 580 1.5GB, 990x, 12gb

Probably need to turn triple buffering on. I get dips to the 50s on the buggy when an explosion occurs, or some big dust cloud or something.

Top Bottom