• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Online II Open Beta and Information Thread

Arksy

For those of you on the fence, unless you're desperate for a new MMO, it's very forgettable. It's a cheap WoW clone and it feels cheap.

rouken

Honestly.. this makes me wan to play RO more than RO2... RO2 looks like WoW gameplay =[

What? RO1 even has WOW gameplay back then, its just not really obvious because of the different perspective.

well i guess you're gonna be burned out if you already are playing wow this last few years but i just want to try this because its ragnarok. :)

Rootbeer

Banned
No mac version :( Severely limits when/where I can play it.

I will try to get some time in this weekend. Looks kinda neat. I used to love the first game back when it first came out, but I stopped following it after about a year.

Styles

So, I've installed the game successfully, but when I try to open the client I get stuck at the "Ragnarok2 Updater" window.

Is the game client locked until the 27th?

rouken

The site won't even let me download the game client. I keep getting a loading page error.

try the alternate links, or the torrent one. i've downloaded from the thailand server.

Stefan™;45773441 said:
So, I've installed the game successfully, but when I try to open the client I get stuck at the "Ragnarok2 Updater" window.

Is the game client locked until the 27th?

try it again now. the update just went live. :)

Muddimar

All I get is that RO2Client.exe is not a valid win32 application.

@_@

I keep getting the same thing... and apparently the forums are down? I dunno, the main game site is running like poo. Anyone else run into this issue and resolve it?

Edit: I'm seriously about to give up on this game. First the installer wouldn't launch. I redownload it. Now the actual client won't run. What did they test this game on? Where is the support for the game? The forums link is broken. And when you type Ragnarok 2 into google, you don't get the official site? You get a bunch of fan sites? What the heck is that?

mus6677

Manage to get the game updated and launched.
Here what I do:
Download Full Client
Download Manual Update
Install full client 1st
Install Manual patch, got RO2Client.exe error
Launch the updater again.
It will update properly

Ryuuga

Banned
Prepare to be disappointed folks. As aforementioned, this game does so much other games have done better (particularly WoW). While the original was refreshing for it's time, this does nothing but regurgitate mechanics currently stagnating in the MMO market at large. This game would've seen a lot more success had it been release instead of GoTN. Project R1 or bust.

Manage to get the game updated and launched.
Here what I do:
Download Full Client
Download Manual Update
Install full client 1st
Install Manual patch, got RO2Client.exe error
Launch the updater again.
It will update properly

This sadly doesn't work for me :( I got the "Not a valid Win32 application" error so I manually updated as you said though I still get the Win32 error with RO2Client.exe and Launcher2.exe says it needs to be run through the updater, that's all .exe's I have :/

Ashodin

everquestnextbanner40wzdv.png
everquestnextbanner4aspza7.png

With SOE Live 2013, Sony Online Entertainment will reveal their next MMO, EverQuest Next. Specifically, at their keynote address on August 2nd, it will be streamed on twitch.tv:

http://www.twitch.tv/EverQuestNext - Livestream, first goes live August 2nd
https://www.everquestnext.com/ - Website, updated most likely when details come out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuuRIVm3YGg - EverQuest Next Black Box Teaser Video
http://www.twitch.tv/everquestnext/b/416159876 - Previous E3 Broadcast about EverQuest, holds some information about EverQuest Next.

lineuppictured6y2r.png

What EverQuest Next Is:
(shamelessly copied from massively)

• Sandbox
  • Free to Play
  • Terrain Deformation
  • Emergent Gameplay
  • Huge Player Interaction With The World
What is EverQuest Next? While we can't see the whole picture, here are the (public!) pieces of the EQN puzzle that we have so far.

At SOE Live 2012, the upcoming game was revealed to be a sandbox by none other than SOE CEO John Smedley himself. Since then, he's talked about the how the game has tools for players to shape the living, breathing world around them. While this news isn't exactly detailed, it does lay the foundation for what players can expect.

Do tools to shape this world include crafting? Yes. At PAX East, Franchise Director Dave Georgeson described his pet theory that crafters are the glue of MMOs. He told us, "You can pretty much assume that there will be a strong backbone in EQ Next for those players." And bringing Emily "Domino" Taylor (known for her work expanding the crafting system in EverQuest II) on board as producer for EQ Next helped cement that idea that crafting would be integral.

What about the living, breathing world part? Smedley noted, "We're changing what AI is in these games to a degree that we're going to bring life to the world. That to us is the essence of the change that we're making." Earlier this year, we learned that the team behind Storybricks, a developing game with revolutionary AI that responds to individual players, is collaborating on EQN.

What else do we know? In that same PAX East interview, Georgeson said he felt that SOE was already tipping its hand somewhat with what has been added to EQ and EverQuest II. He elaborated by noting that features like Player Studio and SOEmote will be a part of the sandbox. We also have the confirmation that the sandbox will follow the rest of SOE's portfolio and be free-to-play.

Visually, we've also been treated to two bits of art to give us a glimpse of the game: the first, a texture-less and colorless character model, and the second, the official concept painting. Calm your shock about the size of the shoulderpads and such on the armor and remember that the concept paintings for the other two games were also just that -- concepts. In-game art is likely to vary just as it did for the other games.

And finally, we know that this year players will get more than just a peek at a demo at SOE Live; as Smedley has hinted, "Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year -- and I don't mean a beta."

What EverQuest Next Isn’t:

• EverQuest
  • EverQuest 2
  • MMO that you remember from years ago (nostalgia)
Although it's third in line in the EQ franchise, EverQuest Next is not a sequel. Both Smedley and Georgeson have spoken on multiple occasions about how the EQN versions that were originally turning out more like EQ 2.5 or EQ III were scrapped. Even the title itself, EverQuest Next, draws focus away from the game's being just a rehash of its predecessors. In the aforementioned PAX East interview, Georgeson teased us with the line that EverQuest Next is "an MMO you've never played before" -- that it's "a completely different critter."

In that light, will this next version sound the death knell for EQ and EQII? Even before EQN's big screenshot-blowing-up reveal at the convention, Georgeson addressed this concern by assuring that "EQN is not being designed to replace those games." And when I talked with him at SOE Live 2012, he reaffirmed that stance, pointing out that the newest sibling to the franchise is such a different game and fans are so loyal to their respective games that there is little worry of a mass migration.​

EverQuest Next Analysis

To come as the game's info gets released!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My updater works! I'm going to play Swordman -> Warrior guys. We should probably get a list going of who is going to play!

I'm going to play, going to go sorc :D

I like the idea of combo based caster dps that has a pretty much passive group heal

Ashodin

RO2 ENGLISH BETA LIST

GAFNAME - In-game Name - Class (Role) - Job
-----------------------------------------------------

Ashodin - Ashodin - Swordman->Warrior (DPS) - Blacksmith

QisTopTier - ??? - Magician->Sorcerer (Heal)

DJNoctis - ??? - Swordman->Knight (Tank)

Omnicent - ??? - Acolyte->Monk (DPS)

tafer - ??? - Swordman->Knight (Tank)

Mature - ??? - Acolyte->Priest (Heal)

Keiician - ??? - Magician->Sorcerer (Heal)

Nibel

Is the art design on par with RO1? I loved the incredible enemy design (especially the later ones) of that game

Ashodin

I'll be doing Acolyte->Priest

Also, sucks seeing Alchemist and Blacksmith relegated to crafting-only jobs.

Since everyone can only pick one, other players will be sought after for their crafts. I should update the list with what Job I'm picking. I'm going Blacksmith.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wizard -> Sorcerer here.
That is once the update finishes without "X is not a proper Win32 application" or the manual patch stops spitting errors.

Mature

Since everyone can only pick one, other players will be sought after for their crafts. I should update the list with what Job I'm picking. I'm going Blacksmith.
It's cool that they're legit, but I'll still missing seeing stuff like Mammonite and High Speed Cart Ram =(

Ashodin

It's cool that they're legit, but I'll still missing seeing stuff like Mammonite and High Speed Cart Ram =(

Those weird and wacky skills, right?

Who's to say you won't have them available to you as abilities you can use with your class?

EX. Blacksmith hammer attack on a Monk or Alchemist throw potion on a Sorcerer.

That would be neat.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hope Archer's still crazy good.

Also can't seem to get it to download anywhere. Torrents don't work either

I'm gonna go Archer->Ranger btw, if you wanna add me to the list

Top Bottom