• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Siege: Blood Orchid out September 5th, full details

jmizzal

Season 3 map list

Ranked (Will follow pro league)
  • Bank
  • Clubhouse
  • Oregon
  • Kafe
  • Consulate
  • Chalet
  • Border
  • Coastline
  • Skyscraper

Casual
  • Bank
  • Clubhouse
  • Oregon
  • Kafe
  • Consulate
  • Chalet
  • Border
  • Coastline
  • Skyscraper
  • Kanal
  • Hereford
  • University
  • House
  • Plane
  • Theme Park

Love all the changes, but it sucks that I have to play casual just to try out Theme Park

Truly a special game. I met with the devs at E3, and talking with them was a blast. Most of the friends I play this game with were pissed about Operation Health. So I asked the Community Lead and she surprised me with her response:

(Im paraphrasing of course.)

Yeah, I didn't have an answer for her lol. As much hate as I've spewed at Ubisoft over the years, I will certainly admit that they are making an amazing effort to turn it all around.

And that's where I also personally disagree. (With her response)

I still believe that it would be way, WAY better for the game if it gets a normal healthy sequel.
R6 shows exactly why "Games as a Service" isn't working sometimes.
This game, just technically, isn't capable of being supported for years and years, as you can clearly see with the need of operation health and the future complete removal of maps because of memory problems.

My advice would be to just do a real fresh sequel with up to date graphics, engine and technics. This could solve almost all problems at once if done right.

Just imagine a fresh R6 Siege that is coming out 2018 with actual technology.
The current one didn't even have PS Pro support nor real 1080p resolution...

I really believe that the support via patches will hurt this game more as it helps it in the end.

I really love how much players they gained over time, that's impressive and more then normal these days, but somewhere there is an end and even if its only technically. My PS4 is already preparing a new patch for freaking 2 hours until it finally begins to download because the PS4 isn't made to receive the 85th patch for a game.
And with the now appearing "memory problems", like I said, I'm just curious how long they can support this game until it breaks in many unrepairable pieces.

I play this game almost every single night since release and I wish them nothing as the best, even if it not sounds like that. Don't get me wrong.

nOoblet16

Looks like they just made her prettier.
Considering this is how her art looks like, the original ingame model was all wrong and derpy

VL4wyCQ.png

legacyzero

Banned
Is the game impenetrable to newcomers at this point?

I've played a lot of games that are harsh to newcomers. I was a newcomer as I only started playing about a year ago. The biggest challenge will probably be understanding the flow of everything. I'd advise playing with somebody that is already playing it a lot.

Defending:
Secure > Support > Strategize > Communicate

Attacking:
Spot > combine operators effectively > strategize > Communicate

Learn a few characters to start, and then begin to expand. Usually the ones to pick up and learn at first are Thermite, Ashe, Thatcher, are good Attackers to learn up front. While Castle, Mute, and Jaeger are great Defense operators to start with.

Check this site to see what all the Operators do. Really good stuff
https://rainbow6.ubisoft.com/siege/en-us/game-info/operators.aspx

This is great, and astounding to see such life in a 2 year old game.

Really enjoyed the free weekend last weekend. It's £15 from Amazon right now - is it worth me getting only the base game and then unlocking the 25k renown operators as I go, or going for the full season pass? What do people go for? I don't expect I'll play enough to even get 25k within a month or two.

Update: Disc version with Season 2 pass is £32.

Do NOT EVER BUY THE STARTER EDITION!

Agreed. Why would they remove Yacht, but keep the Plane in. Fucking hate that goddamn map LOL

Plane is great. Operators like Mira, Blitz, Montagne, and Echo shine in Plane. I played one of my most strategic games there where we Mira'd the top cargo hall, and overlooked the middle, meeting room objective. It was such a fantastic experience because it turns into a slow standoff. You have an idea of enemy direction, you both know where you guys are, but you are slowly trying to consider your options for attacking/defending.

I love that map, spawn killing aside.

THAT IQ BUFF THOOOOO

They took her ACOG away too from what I hear? Valk now is a beauty 🤗

No, attackers keep their ACOGs. 3 speed Defenders lose their ACOGs to cut down on spawn peeking and make defenders more focused on CQC.

And eh, IQ needs a Jackal/Caveira styled update. Im not convinced she'll be as useful, as every update, people think IQ will finally be useful, but she ends up falling behind operators like Thatcher.

She is great if the enemy has a good Valk who throws cameras outside... I hope Lesion and Ela make her a stronger pick regardless.

The game is mostly about map knowledge, listening, and positioning. Jump in, learn the maps. With the new map system, you can focus on a few maps to learn in casual mode. even in death you can help your team by spotting

nOoblet16

Yeah fuck that noise. I'm salty about that change.

All attackers keep their ACOGs of course so of course they get even more advantages.
First of all the ACOG has been reallocated, Bandit and Jäger lose it but someone else will get it. The problem wasn't defenders having ACOG but 3 speed defenders having ACOG. This allowed them to take long angles AND flank/relocate to a different long angle within seconds. No one's going to say anything about 1 speed operators having ACOG.

Secondly, it's the defenders who have the advantage in Siege with the prep time and ability to position themselves before attackers even spawn. It's the defenders who can win a game by simply stalling and letting the time run out. The odds are already in favour of defenders which is why the attackers need ACOG because they are the ones going into a fortified area, the defenders on the other hand are the ones fortifying and the building is "their territory".

legacyzero

Banned

I still believe that it would be way, WAY better for the game if it gets a normal healthy sequel.
This game, just technically, isn't capable of being supported for years and years, as you can clearly see with the need of operation health and the future complete removal of maps because of memory problems.

My advice would be to just do a real fresh sequel with up to date graphics, engine and technics. This could solve almost all problems at once if done right.

I really believe that the support via patches will hurt this game more as it helps it in the end.

I really love how much players they gained over time, that's impressive and more then normal these days, but somewhere there is an end and even if its only technically. My PS4 is already preparing a new patch for freaking 2 hours until it finally begins to download because the PS4 isn't made to receive the 85th patch for a game.
And with the now appearing "memory problems", like I said, I'm just curious how long they can support this game until it breaks in many unrepairable pieces.

I play this game almost every single night since release and I wish them nothing as the best, even if it not sounds like that. Don't get me wrong.
But it is working. The player base alone proves that effortlessly. I mean, your criticisms are true. Very true. And I'd love to see a sequel at some point too. The can really do something excellent with this formula now that it's fully realized. But I'd hate to say it, they'd really be fixing what isn't broken, considering all the broken stuff their fixing LOL.

I think a sequel is more fitting next gen.

By then, they can do a refresh. Focus on new gameplay mechanics like dynamic lighting, and stronger destruction, while potentially adding a stronger single player. Nothing cinematic necessary even, just really nice Operations like in Modern Warfare 2's co-op mode. With a sequel, they can't add everything they have here. But what they can do is start with a new perspective, add a basic set of new and old operators, and then reintroduce new operators/maps with their current model and have it grow into a juggernaut again.

Right now, it really feels as if Ubisoft is cheap af with this game. They don't give it the attention and resources it deserves, while relying on the easy method of selling season passes.

I am afraid of a sequel getting screwed up by dumb publisher decisions. The team behind Siege is really, really good. Their decisions behind the game are so surprisingly consistent. They nailed the core experience, and then they've been really solid with balance and avoiding power creep.

All the operators, except for 1 or 2 feel extremely viable and versatile. There's a ton of mix and match possible and no real hard "meta" that is played in rank (there is one in the e-sports stuff, but the ranked community doesn't follow it like they do in something like Overwatch).

Yeah, you'll have your Ash rushers or Jaegers, but I have played tons of games where our teams didn't have Thatcher or Thermite/Hibana or Ash, etc. and still won games.

It really plays up to the game's "no two games are ever the same" tag.

nOoblet16

A sequel this gen would not provide any real benefits. They will still have to make the game with Xbox One and base PS4 in mind. The map memory thing, we don't even know what they are refering to there. It could be (and most likely is) something completely on their end related to servers and unrelated to the console hardware and engine.

Also stronger destruction isn't necessarily a good thing, Siege CAN allow for complete destruction like seen in the reveal. There was even a version of game playable that had that...but anyone who's played Siege will tell you that level of destruction would've completely fucked up game balancing and was likely why it was removed...rather than because the game couldn't run it.

And yes, Siege truly is the embodiment of the (rather overused) marketing phrase "every encounter is different". In other games it just means 4-5 different ways, in Siege everything is truly different each time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ubisoft said in their last fiscal call that they don't expect to release a Rainbow Six Siege sequel until well after the sequel to Ghost Recon Wildlands, so presumably they still view that as 5-6 years out.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Not at all. Theres a learning curve but map knowledge is the most important thing which will come with time.

Vashetti

Banned
I know they haven't spoken about it (afaik), but if they're continuing to support this game long-term, doesn't PS4 Pro and Xbox One X patches make sense?

Cronnie

Not at all, I just bought it less than a week ago, and there certainly is a learning curve (especially in regards to map knowledge), but I am already starting to hold my own after taking it slow and watching what more experienced players are doing.

I'd suggest making use of terrorist hunt to get used to the maps and guns when you are brand new, certainly helped me a lot before jumping into competitive multiplayer.

I found the matchmaking in casual to be pretty bad and got team-killed for being a "noob" on more than one occasion there, even before the round has actually started and I actually got to do anything. Definitely having a better experience in ranked, funnily enough, I'm at Gold very close to Platinum, and now people just assume I'm on a smurf account.

nOoblet16

Ubisoft said in their last fiscal call that they don't expect to release a Rainbow Six Siege sequel until well after the sequel to Ghost Recon Wildlands, so presumably they still view that as 5-6 years out.
And that's fine. If they want to upgrade and change the engine to a new iteration they can still do that with the current game. They don't need a brand new game to do something like that, just because everyone else does that.

Like look at the changes Warframe has received since launch, how much the engine changes graphically and in terms of capability despite being the same game. It's possible to completely redo everything, just a matter of whether Devs want to do it or not. And in Siege's case it looks like Devs want to do it.

nOoblet16

I know they haven't spoken about it (afaik), but if they're continuing to support this game long-term, doesn't PS4 Pro and Xbox One X patches make sense?
Absolutely, and they should do that. But it's probably not a priority right now what with the content drops and health patches. I'll guess that they will do it at some point, maybe after One X comes out.

A sequel this gen would not provide any real benefits. They will still have to make the game with Xbox One and base PS4 in mind. The map memory thing, we don't even know what they are refering to there. It could be (and most likely is) something completely on their end related to servers and unrelated to the console hardware and engine.

Also stronger destruction isn't necessarily a good thing, Siege CAN allow for complete destruction like seen in the reveal. There was even a version of game playable that had that...but anyone who's played Siege will tell you that level of destruction would've completely fucked up game balancing and was likely why it was removed...rather than because the game couldn't run it.

Im not talking about making it like the reveal. More like adding in new features like being able to make holes in concrete floors or bringing down a small section of a ceiling to make a new entrance with the right gadgets, or take out chunks of staircases to make it necessary to have to vault up, etc.

I am sure they can design some maps around things like that.

I definitely don't want an entire room to lose its floor and make the hostage impossible to capture.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
And that's fine. If they want to upgrade and change the engine to a new iteration they can still do that with the current game. They don't need a brand new game to do something like that, just because everyone else does that.

Like look at the changes Warframe has received since launch, how much the engine changes graphically and in terms of capability despite being the same game. It's possible to completely redo everything, just a matter of whether Devs want to do it or not. And in Siege's case it looks like Devs want to do it.

World of Tanks also had a pretty dramatic graphics upgrade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqmca37bhv4

Though not as dramatic as Runescape:

I do not understand how this game hasn't had a pro or X update but the division will. One of the most popular shooters going right now and doesn't look like it's slowing down.

No idea what edition this is. What are the reasons to not go for it?

Base game is £15, Season 2 + Game is £32. I don't think either of those are the starter edition.

Ah sorry, by base you mean the vanilla/default version.

The starter edition is a budget version that gives you all the maps, but makes you grind really hard for all the operators.

Get Season 2 + Game.

Cronnie

No idea what edition this is. What are the reasons to not go for it?

Base game is £15, Season 2 + Game is £32. I don't think either of those are the starter edition.

What platform are you buying it on? Starter edition is only available on PC, and requires A LOT (12.5k each instead of 500-2000 each) more renown for unlocking the base operators when compared to the standard edition, so that's why it isn't recommended for just a slightly cheaper price.

sectionse7en

Neo Member
Ah sorry, by base you mean the vanilla/default version.

The starter edition is a budget version that gives you all the maps, but makes you grind really hard for all the operators.

Get Season 2 + Game.

Ah, thanks.

What platform are you buying it on? Starter edition is only available on PC, and requires A LOT (12.5k each instead of 500-2000 each) more renown for unlocking the base operators when compared to the standard edition, so that's why it isn't recommended for just a slightly cheaper price.

PS4.

Update: thanks chaps. I ended up going for the base game for £15. If I keep playing the game later this year, I'll grab the Season 2 pass. Maybe it'll be in a sale soon too. I'm on PS4 - PSN user ID is same as my neogaf username, if anyone fancies playing!

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Are season 1 operators included in season 2? If not I take it you need season 1 pass or have I missed the boat?

A serious amount of renown is needed for all the operators at this point no?

Are season 1 operators included in season 2? If not I take it you need season 1 pass or have I missed the boat?

A serious amount of renown is needed for all the operators at this point no?
Nope, they are not. You can buy them with renown (25k each), or you can grab Season 1 Operator bundle from the in-game store for their real-life currency (you buy R6 credits with real money, and then use it to buy Season 1 bundle). Not sure about its exact cost, but it should be around 20$/€ I think.

Edit: and don't forget - you have to buy all the original operators with renown too (25k renown total for all of them). But it's not that bad if you get hooked, and you will if you like slower and more tactical shooters.

And you can get solid amount of renown for doing some singleplayer challenges and daily/weekly challenges.

packy34

Wait, Bandit and Jager lost the ACOG?!?!!?!?!!!???!!

Yes. No more 3 speed defenders rushing to spawn peek. From now on only 3 armor defenders can get ACOGs but they haven’t decided if they want to give them to Spetznaz yet or only future ops.

But it is working. The player base alone proves that effortlessly. I mean, your criticisms are true. Very true. And I'd love to see a sequel at some point too. The can really do something excellent with this formula now that it's fully realized. But I'd hate to say it, they'd really be fixing what isn't broken, considering all the broken stuff their fixing LOL.

I think a sequel is more fitting next gen.

By then, they can do a refresh. Focus on new gameplay mechanics like dynamic lighting, and stronger destruction, while potentially adding a stronger single player. Nothing cinematic necessary even, just really nice Operations like in Modern Warfare 2's co-op mode. With a sequel, they can't add everything they have here. But what they can do is start with a new perspective, add a basic set of new and old operators, and then reintroduce new operators/maps with their current model and have it grow into a juggernaut again.

Right now, it really feels as if Ubisoft is cheap af with this game. They don't give it the attention and resources it deserves, while relying on the easy method of selling season passes.

I am afraid of a sequel getting screwed up by dumb publisher decisions. The team behind Siege is really, really good. Their decisions behind the game are so surprisingly consistent. They nailed the core experience, and then they've been really solid with balance and avoiding power creep.

All the operators, except for 1 or 2 feel extremely viable and versatile. There's a ton of mix and match possible and no real hard "meta" that is played in rank (there is one in the e-sports stuff, but the ranked community doesn't follow it like they do in something like Overwatch).

Yeah, you'll have your Ash rushers or Jaegers, but I have played tons of games where our teams didn't have Thatcher or Thermite/Hibana or Ash, etc. and still won games.

It really plays up to the game's "no two games are ever the same" tag.

Thank you for the responses, very interesting to read. I agree with almost everything. :)

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Nope, they are not. You can buy them with renown (25k each), or you can grab Season 1 Operator bundle from the in-game store for their real-life currency (you buy R6 credits with real money, and then use it to buy Season 1 bundle). Not sure about its exact cost, but it should be around 20$/€ I think.

Edit: and don't forget - you have to buy all the original operators with renown too (25k renown total for all of them). But it's not that bad if you get hooked, and you will if you like slower and more tactical shooters.

And you can get solid amount of renown for doing some singleplayer challenges and daily/weekly challenges.

Thank you sir!
£20 for season 1 ops isnt too bad. Plus they probibly have the odd sale. I'll keep an eye out...thanks :)

Gator86

Have they ever mentioned lowering the prices for older operators? As someone who just bought vanilla during a sale, the grind for new operators is so off-putting I've shelved the game several times.

nOoblet16

If you think of it as a grind then you're probably not enjoying the game as much. The game provides you with enough variety while you earn renown to unlock the next operator. You don't need to have everything unlocked, it'll happen eventually but even unlocking one operator means by the time you feel satisfied playing as then you'll have enough money to buy the next.

I get that it feels like you always want to keep trying something new in terms of operators but if that's what's keeping you playing the game then once you unlock all of them you won't really have that carrot at the end of the stick anymore. Since after that point you'll always have enough renown for whenever a new operator drops as 3-4 months is a long time.

Even while playing one operator you'll have so much to learn and so many new things to try that if you actually get into the game then you'll not really feel like you're missing out and not learning new things. I have all operators unlocked on consoles but while playing on PC I only have a handful of them unlocked and I feel liked despite that I have a decent variety available for different situations.

Cronnie

Have they ever mentioned lowering the prices for older operators? As someone who just bought vanilla during a sale, the grind for new operators is so off-putting I've shelved the game several times.

You can get all of the original operators (which is 20 in total) for 25k renown, which really doesn't take that long at all.

I bought the vanilla edition a week ago and already have all the base operators (with their weapons kitted out) plus one DLC one, and am already 8k in towards another DLC one.

Granted I've put a fair few hours in, but it never really felt like a grind at all, once you've got the base operators you already have quite a bit of variety when it comes to roles/playstyles. To me, the DLC operators after that give me something to work toward, but I don't feel at a disadvantage without them or anything like that.

Apeopleman

I'm preparing my butthole for all the times I'm Gonna get team killed because I picked one of the new operators

What's all this operator talk? Is this now a free to play game with heroes? I don't remember talk of this stuff around release.

My friends and I have been looking for a new multiplayer game to get into and are getting bored with the Battlefield/COD merry-go-round. Is this a game that would still be enjoyable for veteran CS players or is this a grind-fest for loot now?

All this season specific stuff is confusing. The same reason I never bought Killer Instinct on Xbox One because I didn't understand which version I was supposed to buy to get the full experience with all the characters. Do I buy the latest version or all of them? Can I buy the base and grind to the end... None of it is explained anywhere.

Gator86

You can get all of the original operators (which is 20 in total) for 25k renown, which really doesn't take that long at all.

I bought the vanilla edition a week ago and already have all the base operators (with their weapons kitted out) plus one DLC one, and am already 8k in towards another DLC one.

Granted I've put a fair few hours in, but it never really felt like a grind at all, once you've got the base operators you already have quite a bit of variety when it comes to roles/playstyles. To me, the DLC operators after that give me something to work toward, but I don't feel at a disadvantage without them or anything like that.

Yeah, I've got all the vanilla operators but the grind to the DLC ones feels endless. I don't think you ever feel like you're at a disadvantage, but it's kind of deflating to feel like you need to grind for weeks just to try a new operator.

Not trying to derail here though. Glad they're still adding to the game.

nillapuddin

Honestly, you came in at the right time. The game wasn't as intuitive as it is now, and operation Health really fixed a lot of issues. Welcome to the party, pal!

Yeah i agree, i think we came in right before/after mira and jackal and we love it. Missing S2 for Op Health stinks to long timers, but it just gave us more time to git gud.

Plus, the memessssssssss

Top Bottom