• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Siege: Blood Orchid out September 5th, full details

Thanks for all of the responses.

I have hardly any time these days to play games but have been itching for a multiplayer shooter that's not Titanfall 2 (Which I played and loved to death).

The cadence and rhythm of the matches from Siege seem exactly like what I'm looking for currently.

I will purchase it soon!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
What's all this operator talk? Is this now a free to play game with heroes? I don't remember talk of this stuff around release.

My friends and I have been looking for a new multiplayer game to get into and are getting bored with the Battlefield/COD merry-go-round. Is this a game that would still be enjoyable for veteran CS players or is this a grind-fest for loot now?

All this season specific stuff is confusing. The same reason I never bought Killer Instinct on Xbox One because I didn't understand which version I was supposed to buy to get the full experience with all the characters. Do I buy the latest version or all of them? Can I buy the base and grind to the end... None of it is explained anywhere.

Just avoid the starter edition on PC. The rest depends on how much you're willing to pay. At the least Id recommend the game + Year 2 pass, because it includes many bonuses which will help you unlock operators and attachments faster.

Operators are unlockable using Renown which you get for playing and completing challenges. The original 20 operators are reasonably priced but the DLC operators require a lot more grinding which is why I recommend getting a game + season pass bundle.

If you end up really liking the game, you can always buy the season 1 operators for something like $15-$20 for all 8 Year 1 operators.

Like I was telling a friend, this is a deeply tactical game. Operator kits wont win you matches or firefights but help based on your playstyle and situation. Its extremely skill based.

Djostikk

Ubisoft said in their last fiscal call that they don't expect to release a Rainbow Six Siege sequel until well after the sequel to Ghost Recon Wildlands, so presumably they still view that as 5-6 years out.

Is this more profitable for them to keep this game alive, rather than catch a hype and make a new one with more budgets?

nOoblet16

Is this more profitable for them to keep this game alive, rather than catch a hype and make a new one with more budgets?

The game's doing very well right now, and they should continue to support the game rather than ride on the momentum to make a new game.

You can't guarantee that the current playerbase will transfer to the new game, some might have invested too much in Siege and don't want to move, some might not like the changes and see no reason to move just yet while the first game is still doing well and has life in it. etc etc.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

They game's more popular than its ever been. They introduced alpha packs (loot boxes) a few weeks back and keep adding new premium cosmetics.

This game's definitely not getting a sequel until next gen.

Bronetta

The lighting/bloom changes are the most intriguing part of this patch to me

I actually liked the bloom, especially as a defender because it was so easy to spot an attacker moving into your line of sight.

That's probably why they nerfed it, to give attackers more of a fighting chance when they peek through windows/cracks.

I'm a bit weary of the team's need to permanently remove maps in the future to conserve a memory budget, but for now, I'm loving the game and think it's a perfect chance for new players to jump in. The games in the best state it has been yet. Super fast matchmaking, minimal bugs (Doc/Chanka glitch hopefully sorted with new patch), and a new season of content right around the corner.

I assume it's much cheaper and profitable for Ubisoft to make a new Season pass and sell that + micro transactions than to pony up the cash for a sequel.

Does anyone know if a sequel is possible with a Vivendi future?

nOoblet16

I actually liked the bloom, especially as a defender because it was so easy to spot an attacker moving into your line of sight.

That's probably why they nerfed it, to give attackers more of a fighting chance when they peek through windows/cracks.

Not exactly it was bad both sides looking outside from inside you couldn't see shit..same the other way around. It's because Siege never adjusted the bloom and did eye adaption like most games, your eyes and real life cameras where the exposure value/brightness adjusts after you look at a dark/light area.

Though it was a bit better for defenders when playing during day time.

Bronetta

I'm a bit weary of the team's need to permanently remove maps in the future to conserve a memory budget, but for now, I'm loving the game and think it's a perfect chance for new players to jump in. The games in the best state it has been yet. Super fast matchmaking, minimal bugs (Doc/Chanka glitch hopefully sorted with new patch), and a new season of content right around the corner.

The backlash got to them so they backed away from permanently removing maps. For now they'll just remove them temporarily to rework them.

The backlash got to them so they backed away from permanently removing maps. For now they'll just remove them temporarily to rework them.

Okay that's fine by me, but realistically how do they plan on going forward with adding new maps when they're 'rapidly' approaching a memory budget of some sort? Feels like they're just sweeping the problem under the rug for now, unless the optimisation of maps somehow removes this problem.

nOoblet16

Okay that's fine by me, but realistically how do they plan on going forward with adding new maps when they're 'rapidly' approaching a memory budget of some sort? Feels like they're just sweeping the problem under the rug for now, unless the optimisation of maps somehow removes this problem.
The memory budget thing is so vague, we don't know whether they mean RAM or HDD space, we don't know if it's server side limit or client side. But it might as well just be a server side issue (which they can fix by just upgrading a the servers) because I can't see how a 40-50GB game is approaching memory limits. Nor can I see the RAM being an issue since the game doesn't load the maps not being played into the RAM.

Bronetta

The memory budget thing is so vague, we don't know whether they mean RAM or HDD space, we don't know if it's server side limit or client side. But it might as well just be a server side issue (which they can fix by just upgrading a the servers) because I can't see how a 40-50GB game is approaching memory limits. Nor can I see the RAM being an issue since the game doesn't load the maps not being played into the RAM.

Its something on their backend, not ours.

Matter of fact the megapatch that's hitting on Tuesday is supposed to reduce game size.

so the new lighting makes it easier to see, cause half the time I cant see shit through walls (Tv issue too I guess)

and all new textures on all maps or what?

And I am already prepared to shoot my teamates who stupidly blind me with that new flash weapon, bad enough that I get flashed a few times a week already ha. And fuzed a few times too...

Just avoid the starter edition on PC. The rest depends on how much you're willing to pay. At the least Id recommend the game + Year 2 pass, because it includes many bonuses which will help you unlock operators and attachments faster.

Thanks. Any opinion on console versions?

Bronetta

Thanks. Any opinion on console versions?

Ive sank dozens of hours into the PS4 version.

Matchmaking in seconds

60fps multiplayer

30fps terrorist hunt

No Pro support

Animator

The new lighting of the maps are amazing and the new ops are a ton of fun. Going back to old siege after playing Blood Orchid on the test server sucks. Can't wait for Tuesday.

Foxxsoxx

Ive sank dozens of hours into the PS4 version.

Matchmaking in seconds

60fps multiplayer

30fps terrorist hunt

No Pro support

Terrorist Hunt is 60fps if you turn off vsync, theres just screen tearing.

The console versions are fine, the PC version is much faster paced which is either a positive or a negative, total preference there.

If I had a PC I would get it there, but it works totally fine on console.

This patch sounds like everything I wanted (except for Pro support...) and then some, can't fucking wait. Any idea what time this is dropping?

Alienous

My save data doesn't seem to be recognized anymore, with this new update. My attachments are unlocked (which would be tied to my account), but not equipped (tied to my save data).

My Situations are also at 0%.

Anyone else having this issue?

My save data doesn't seem to be recognized anymore, with this new update. My attachments are unlocked (which would be tied to my account), but not equipped (tied to my save data).

My Situations are also at 0%.

Anyone else having this issue?

My situations are at 0 and I had to redo all of the attachments and whatnot. Everything is still unlocked though, so I don't actually care.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
wait, what did the Season Pass cover?

i bought some gold edition on amazon a while back for like $35 but now upon reinstalling it i unlocked a ton of stuff including all the new guys.

Top Bottom