• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Compsiox

Banned
Even after playing for more than a year I still can't believe how amazing this game is.

Nothing has kept me this entertained since the original Halo trilogy and Rust legacy.

I got this game the other day, and I'm completely lost as to what to do. I'm familiar with the series, and I put quite a bit of time into Raven Shield years ago, but I feel like I'm in way over my head on this.

The game recommended that I unlock 3 operators for both sides, so I decided to get 2 for the time being, and I picked the ones who I thought looked coolest, who were Ash, IQ, Kapkan, and Doc. I'll probably be playing solo queue most of the time for the time being, so who are the best characters for that?

I think a big problem I have so far is that I'm not familiar with map layouts, but I guess that'll come over time. On defence, should everyone camp the objective, or should we split up, and on attack should I use my little remote camera to scout for more things after the initial scout at the start of the round, and how long do enemies stay marked for?

HiiiLife

Defense should be a mix of players camping / roaming the map. Agile players like Jager and Pulse usually roam while Rook and Doc typically stay closer to the obj. Knowing the map and how to react to entry points is just as important as headshots in firefights.

And always remember to use your drones/cameras when possible. Spotting only lasts like 5 seconds(?), if that. I opt to verbally call them out when using the camera because spotting them will just cause the player to look for and shoot your drone out.

There's really no operator best for solo que imo, every character has a role to fill. A roamer I guess fills the role of a lone wolf. So a Pulse, Caveira, Jager, etc.

Auctopus

Defense should be a mix of players camping / roaming the map. Agile players like Jager and Pulse usually roam while Rook and Doc typically stay closer to the obj. Knowing the map and how to react to entry points is just as important as headshots in firefights.

And always remember to use your drones/cameras when possible. Spotting only lasts like 5 seconds(?), if that. I opt to verbally call them out when using the camera because spotting them will just cause the player to look for and shoot your drone out.

There's really no operator best for solo que imo, every character has a role to fill. A roamer I guess fills the role of a lone wolf. So a Pulse, Caveira, Jager, etc.

I've noticed since playing properly that nearly everyone thinks they're a roamer. I've had matches whilst solo queuing where everyone goes roaming then the enemy team just sneak in round the back and capture the objective. Not that I'm free of blame, I'm usually roaming as in solo queuing I hate the feeling when you stay on objective and just listen to your team get picked off one by one, I'd rather be pro-active.

The game recommended that I unlock 3 operators for both sides, so I decided to get 2 for the time being, and I picked the ones who I thought looked coolest, who were Ash, IQ, Kapkan, and Doc. I'll probably be playing solo queue most of the time for the time being, so who are the best characters for that?

Ash is a really good operator but you've always gotta be weary that you're not a tank. Her assault rifles are excellent and her gadget by-passes Castles that have been Muted. (In case you didn't realise, satchel charges won't go off near Mute gadgets).

Kapkan is decent too but I feel like you have to be a lot craftier than you could be a year ago, people used to run in to traps without you even trying to be sneaky. But you can definitely help your team early on by catching some wreckless players out.

I don't really have an opinion on Doc, his guns are decent but I don't remember the last time his gadget was even used on me. I think that might be partly due to the way a lot of players roam now.

You'll hear that IQ is kinda useless sometimes which is partly true. A lot of her usefulness relies on your whole team playing on your pace and you being able to communicate with them. Her Aug is great though.

If you're still starting out, I'd recommend Rook (I've said before in this thread that you just need to put down the plates at the beginning and you've already helped your team more than most newcomers.).

As for Attack, I'd recommend Sledge and Thermite as that will give your team much more versatility but make sure you concentrate when smashing open walls cause they can cause as much damage as much as they help.

HiiiLife

Doc and Rook are my go to nowadays. Doc actually feels so much better since they gave him the heal ability. Barely had any playtime from me prior to that.

Montaigne has been my attacker for a bit now as well. Love that shields keep getting buffs lol. Just need to work on my pistol shots.

andycapps

Doc is a great character. On defense I'd stick with tanky operators and camp the objective since you don't know the maps yet. Just focus on holding angles and not peaking the attackers unless they don't know you're there because their guns do a lot more damage than yours.

Even after playing for more than a year I still can't believe how amazing this game is.

It'll probably never get the recognition it deserves from the wider gaming audience.

However in years to come when this game is looked backed on, those of us that were here playing it will know!

I don't want to make a huge wall of quoted posts, but thanks for the tips everyone.
I'm slowly getting to grips with things now, and I've been winning and getting MVP for some matches. I'm definitely most comfortable with Ash, and I'm still having a bit of trouble on defence, although I bought the guy with the heartbeat sensor and I'm liking his SMG. It must be doing something right because I've played it for a few hours today. I'm kinda preferring terrorist hunt with objectives, because that feels most like classic R6, but the vs. modes are fun too.

Disgraced

What are some tips to help elevate anyone's ability?
Assume someone's camping in every corner.

Survey regularly if not constantly. When someone else is using their drone(s) observe it, granted you have a third to watch your flank.

A more specific tip for shield players: think of firing your gun like a parry or counter where the tells are your opponent reloading or retreating. Otherwise, never ADS.

Auctopus

What are some tips to help elevate anyone's ability?

- Go slow: I'm a year in to the game and I'll still set off Kapkan or Frost traps if I'm being too cocky or going too fast. Before entering rooms, always check the doorway and corners as best as you can. If it's the beginning of the game, use the drone - I say that as time becomes more critical, you might not have the luxury of using a drone.

- Mark/Call out enemies: Even if you're not on mic, use the marker or camera to point out enemies. Remember, if you continually mark an enemy they will figure out what's going on and shoot out a camera. I'd advise marking an enemy on camera if they are currently engaging with a teammate.

- Don't let people boss you about: You have just as much right to play the game as others so if you feel obeying someone's orders would you in danger instead of them, don't bother. By all means, if someone needs your Thermite or is advising you from beyond the grave then comply but just don't let the yellers and the whiners get to you.

- If a teammate is down (especially in the smaller maps) for a short while, be incredibly cautious approaching them to heal as it's likely that an enemy is baiting you by leaving them alive.

- If you're not confident in being able to take-down enemies, pick the operator that gives your teammates an immediate advantage without you really having to try: Rook, Valkyrie, Jager.

- This might be a slightly advanced tactic but it's something that changed the way I play: always try to think what the enemy might be thinking, planning or seeing.

Is it possible that the enemy can see you from where you're standing?

Is there a Thermite? Then watch your reinforced walls.

Is there a Pulse? Try not to hang around in one spot for too long.

Is there a Kapkan or Frost? Watch every door, window and landing.

flkraven

Save your prep phase drone, drive it to your spawn and pick it up when the round starts.
Then use said drone to scout out the floor you're going to enter.

If it gets shot, you have second drone as a back up.

I prefer to plan my breach location ahead of time, and drive my drone there so it's waiting for a quick peak before breach.

- Go slow: I'm a year in to the game and I'll still set off Kapkan or Frost traps if I'm being too cocky or going too fast. Before entering rooms, always check the doorway and corners as best as you can. If it's the beginning of the game, use the drone - I say that as time becomes more critical, you might not have the luxury of using a drone.

- Mark/Call out enemies: Even if you're not on mic, use the marker or camera to point out enemies. Remember, if you continually mark an enemy they will figure out what's going on and shoot out a camera. I'd advise marking an enemy on camera if they are currently engaging with a teammate.

- Don't let people boss you about: You have just as much right to play the game as others so if you feel obeying someone's orders would you in danger instead of them, don't bother. By all means, if someone needs your Thermite or is advising you from beyond the grave then comply but just don't let the yellers and the whiners get to you.

- If a teammate is down (especially in the smaller maps) for a short while, be incredibly cautious approaching them to heal as it's likely that an enemy is baiting you by leaving them alive.

- If you're not confident in being able to take-down enemies, pick the operator that gives your teammates an immediate advantage without you really having to try: Rook, Valkyrie, Jager.

- This might be a slightly advanced tactic but it's something that changed the way I play: always try to think what the enemy might be thinking, planning or seeing.

Is it possible that the enemy can see you from where you're standing?

Is there a Thermite? Then watch your reinforced walls.

Is there a Pulse? Try not to hang around in one spot for too long.

Is there a Kapkan or Frost? Watch every door, window and landing.

Great advice!

I'd like to add only one thing:

Is there a mf.luder on your team? If so, leave the game immediately or if you're playing Hostage, shoot the hostage immediately.

Otherwise, fantastic list.

Smokey

I'm getting constant disconnects from Uplay. Been trying to play Siege all evening and sometimes I can get into Uplay, other times I get in and it pops up with a connection issue and I can't do anything...

I prefer to plan my breach location ahead of time, and drive my drone there so it's waiting for a quick peak before breach.

That works well too.
When I played with my group on PS4, I'd usually drone ahead for our top player. I'd leave the drone outside where he was going to enter and drone absolutely EVERYTHING before he entered. Then once he was inside I'd keep the drone going and call out what was ahead of him.

The Twitch update a few months back really made it fun for me too.

The spawn camping in this game is beyond lame. You already are limited by time and have to rush as it is. It's ridiculous that people can just pick you off from a high vantage point from multiple angles.

CrayToes

The spawn camping in this game is beyond lame. You already are limited by time and have to rush as it is. It's ridiculous that people can just pick you off from a high vantage point from multiple angles.

Yep, one of the worst aspects of the game. I'll only ever do it when a team has done it to me already.

Disgraced

I don't mind the outdoor crossfire points defenders can establish on maps like Kanal, Favela, and Bartlett, but I do mind exploits like instakill spots and firing on the first and only lanes offenders have on some spawns. The latter seems like a difficult problem to solve without radically changing or removing some spawn points, which I gather the devs may be hesitant to do.

thenexus6

I swear the "X" wins as S.A.T is bugged for me this is the second or third time i've had one of those challenges and the win hasn't counted.. I am going to stop selecting them now.

flkraven

I hate being the guy that's domed by a window peek at spawn right when a round starts. It always seems to be me, dammit.

That said, on some maps defenders need that to be viable. Peeking or jumping out of windows, and heck, being detected on purpose, puts attackers on edge just enough. If that didn't exist, then attackers would have way too much of an advantage on maps like Hereford base, plane, or favelas.

OG Kush

On skyscraper, as a defender, you're basically forced to jump out of windows to have a chance of winning. Not a big fan of it...

Disgraced

Mmm yes. More tips and strategies direct injected please.
When on defense and especially when roaming, your job is to kill the attackers' time as much as it is (if not more than it is) to just kill them. An antagonizing, peeking Jäger on the side of the map opposite the site who draws the other team towards him for a chunk of the round even if it means his death can be invaluable.

Somtimes there's value in rejecting the meta. 2/5 of my regular team has made plat and the rest of us fluctuate around gold, and when we're choking with our established, orthodox strats, we've from time to time found success switching to unusual if not brazenly stupid ones. I'm not saying be dumb (be dumb), but definitely mix it up sometimes.

Auctopus

How broken do you think an Operator would be that could see what his teammates are seeing live would be?

Also, I'm making a cup of tea then I'll be on if anyone wants to team up.

Top Bottom