• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

TheKeyPit

Banned
Been playing a bunch of this game with my friends recently. It's kind of unbelievable how addicting the gameplay is. I can't wait for the new operators and map coming on Tuesday.
What do we know about the new map? From what I've seen in the teaser, it looks like a House type map.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Playing the free weekend and this game is too fun, I was trying to wait for sub 20 dollars but I think I have to buy it now since I have it installed anyway.

Who are the 'must-own' operators? I see a lot of people using Cavaleira.

Playing the free weekend and this game is too fun, I was trying to wait for sub 20 dollars but I think I have to buy it now since I have it installed anyway.

She is a DLC character. So you would need to pay 600 R6 points (like £4) or buy the year 1 bundle for 15.99.

I only recently got into this game...and wow.

I was really looking forward to siege and absolutely hated the beta before it was out. Just seemed like too many gadgets and a campy mess. I'm glad I left it a year for the game to evolve and balance itself out. After an hour or so of playing it I forced all my CS playing friends to get the game and we are all so fucking into it. About 10 of us. I never thought i'd be able to get into a game like this due to the pacing and gadgets, but the classes and counters have a shit tonne of depth and nothing feels too dirty.

Looking forward to unlocking ranked, also people in casual have been calling me a smurf already which is nice :)

Bought the year 2 pass already.

Someone ALWAYS uses her on defense so you're best off having a good option of defensive operators available before you unlock her. I just unlocked her last night. I'm no where near as good as some people are with her. I went for an interrogation then two of his buddies come flying around the corner to kill me.
Good times.

Last night was great playing with rookies. Watching the other team of new players look confused on how to enter a castled room was too funny but oh my goodness is it annoying when the new players are on your team without mic.

When are the new ops getting demoed?? I know the stream is live but it goes for like 2 days

Congrats. Game is worth much more than $20, and I think you can be satisfied spending your money at the current price.

Since you're new, buy Rook for defence, and Sledge for attack.

These are fairly easy and friendly operators for newbies.

Caveira is fun, but requires map knowledge. You dont want to play an advanced character just yet, because you're likely going to roam too far and then end up losing it for the team. You can certainly buy whoever you want and learn as you go, but generally speaking, Rook and Sledge are great newbie operators.

From there, get:

ATK

-Ash
-Thermite
-Thatcher
-Buck (DLC)

These attackers are fairly noob friendly. Use Thatcher as a support role and Play the objective with him. He can be very crucial for attackers but his ability is fairly simple-- EMP the reinforced walls so Thermite can blow up reinforced walls.

Same goes for Thermite. Your team needs him or Hibana. But you should know simple things by the time you use him, like what Mute and Bandit does, and where to use his ability/when.

Buck is fairly good, and like Sledge. His shotgun can be used at a medium distance to blow holes in walls to vault through.

Ash is a very fast operator that can be great at playing aggressive. Her ability is pretty useful for destroying basic stuff from a distance like shields, castle walls, and basic walls.

DEF

-Rook
-Doc
-Smoke
-Frost

As a newbie, you'll want to buy defenders that stay in the room and dont have you wandering off. As you learn the maps (play co-op mode or learn as an attacker, or play private matches to learn layouts), you can start using roamers. Roamers are attackers who are better at leaving the room and flanking, or catching attackers by surprise.

Rook simply drops armour, and you should do this ASAP. Doc can heal himself and teammates and revive from a distance.

Frost can lay down traps. Try to place them in dark corners or in popular areas where you can expect the enemy to walk over. Smoke is a great room defender. He can stall enemies by smoking areas, which do a great amount of damage to enemies. In the last seconds of a round, he really shines.

Caveira, Jaeger, Valkryie and Bandit are great roamers. Make sure to always reinforce walls and put down your gadgets before roaming.

Avoid:

-Castle
-Tachanka
-IQ
-Blitz

In casual, where you'll start, Castle is useless, hurts your own team, and too easily countered. I think he's fantastic on ranked though. This is because ranked cuts off a whole minute from the round timer, so he can be a great way to kill off an attack. In casual, there is too much round time, and attackers have all the time in the world to deal with castle.

Tachanka is still rather useless, IQ is totally useless as far as ability goes, and Blitz is broken and glitchy.

I thought I could still buy her with the free currency but at a really inflated cost?

EDIT: Yeah, it's like 25,000 renown

Save your money on the DLC characters for now. Im thinking there could be a discount sale sometime soon since Year 2 is starting.

There should be an option to buy a bundle on PSN though, so that you dont have to grind

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tion/cid=UP0001-CUSA01800_00-R6SIEGECOMPLETE2

Yeah, this is the total edition and its on sale.

Instant access to all DLC operators for Year 1 and Year 2.

Auctopus

Without sounding like a dick, she's one of the more advanced DEF characters as she's best utilised by someone who knows the maps and regular enemy attack patterns/routes well.

ATT

- Sledge (L85A2)
- Ash (G36c)
- Twitch (FAMAS)
- Thermite (556xi)

DEF

- Rook (MP5)
- Castle (UMP)
- Kapkan (9x19VSN) - Kapkan is especially good for learning enemy attack routes.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Without sounding like a dick, she's one of the more advanced DEF characters as she's best utilised by someone who knows the maps and regular enemy attack patterns/routes well.
Yeah, I'm not about to try and buy her until I know the game/maps well enough.

Currently using this just to figure out what each operator can do.

brian!

hey yall
is there a list of commonly accepted guns/attachments per operator? or is it actually more of a personal preference thing

oh nm, the post above me has exactly that, is there a comprehensive list tho, that one only lists a few

Vic_Viper

Just finished downloading the game for the Free Weekend! Kinda pumped to finally check this out after hearing about it doing so well recently. Was super turned off at launch when we found out it wouldn't have a single player.

So for a new player coming in now what is the recommended first few Operators to check out?

Really want to check out the SAT operators. What is the best way to earn renown the fastest to unlock them? What do you get with the base game, any boosters or renown or just the game?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Just finished downloading the game for the Free Weekend! Kinda pumped to finally check this out after hearing about it doing so well recently. Was super turned off at launch when we found out it wouldn't have a single player.

So for a new player coming in now what is the recommended first few Operators to check out?

From the guide I posted:

Which operators to pick first

Play through some situations first as they are easy ways to gain renown try out operators. For new players, set-and-forget abilities or abilities that are less complicated are usually better, as well as guns with lower recoil

Attackers

Sledge - Ability is probably the easiest to use among the attackers, he has average damage guns with low recoil, and he has frags. Sledge has long been a top pick for new players with good reason, he is perfect for less experienced players.
Loadout- L85A2 Assault Rifle: Scope of preference, Vertical Grip, Flash hider or compensator (depending on if you burst fire or not). SMG-11 Side are, Fragmentation grenades
Tips: His ability makes a very large amount of sound, so be wary of defenders being alerted to your point of entrance. A lot of new players over use his ability which makes him easy to counter and eliminate.
Thatcher - Ability is hard to mess up and very easy to understand. Using it against reinforced walls that Bandit has electrified or mute has jammed is pretty much all you need to do. Both his assault rifles are good.
Loadout- L85A2 Assault Rifle: Scope of preference, Vertical Grip, Flash hider or compensator (depending on if you burst fire or not). Breaching charges are more useful for newer players than his claymores
Tips- Be very careful to not die before using the emp grenades to destroy Mute's Jammers/ Bandits batteries. Learning the trajectory and when it is safe to throw the EMP is key to mastering Thatcher. How to emp the outside walls of Favelas
Ash - ability is very easy to use (aim at a destructible surface) and both her guns are strong, as well as being a max speed operator, making her well rounded and good for new players
Loadout: G36C Assault rifle- it's lower recoil is easier to manage for newer players, Compensator or flash hider, vertical grip, scope of preference. Smoke or breaching charges is a situational pick, but smokes are generally more useful due to her already having breaching capabilities.
Tips: Do not use her ability on outside facing barricades, as just shooting the barricades with her assault rifle will destroy them and preserve her ability. Though her ability does not do much damage to operators, it can still eliminate a downed operator.

New players should avoid attackers such as Glaz, IQ and Blitz due to the relatively low strength (IQ and Blitz) or their difficulty in use (Glaz)

Defenders

Rook - Ability is the easiest to use among the defenders as well as almost always being useful. His MP5 is low recoil and easy to use and he has max armor. Long considered the best defender for new players
Loadout: MP5 submachine gun, vertical grip, flash hider, scope of preference. Deployable shield vs impact grenade is largely based on your team's composition. Pick the one the team lacks
Tips: Start every round by placing the armor immediately, preferably not immediately next to a wall or object. Take a step back after placing his armor before putting it on, as it allows more defenders to access it at once
Mute - Ability takes a little more finesse that other top picks for new players, but overall he is very easy to use. His SMG has low recoil
Loadout: MP5K submachine gun. Scope of choice with flash hider or compensator. Nitro cell for equipment
Tips: Learn which walls must be reinforced for the objective. Walls close to the objective and walls which face the outside of the building near the objective are usually the most important to jam. Jamming walls should take priority over stopping drones.
Kapkan - Ability can result in eliminations of attackers with minimal effort, though having stronger map knowledge increases his success rate. His gun is low recoil, he has max armor, and he has nitro cells to deal with attackers
Loadout: 9x19VSN submachine gun. Reflex sight, flash hider or compensator, vertical grip. Nitro cell for equipment
Tips: Place his tripwires in spots where operators are commonly aiming down sights and are less likely to look for a trap. Doors close to the attackers spawns and doors immediately next to the objective are usually less useful. He is more effective if he can go unspotted during the prep phase.
Doc- Similar to rook, but his ability is often a little less useful. He features a play style as rook with similar guns.
Loadout: MP5 submachine gun, vertical grip, flash hider, scope of preference. Deployable shield vs impact grenade is largely based on your team's composition. Pick the one the team lacks.
Tips: Keep an eye on friendlies health at all times, and heal friendlies which are knocked down and revived. Keep in mind that his ability can be self applied when he is downed by pressing the gadget button.

New players should avoid defenders such as Tachanka, Pulse and Castle, as their abilities require outstanding map knowledge to use effectively.

If all the operators that you have unlocked have been picked, be sure to communicate this with your team to see if any of them can switch to a different operator.

I know a lot of people dislike Hostage mode but thats the one that really gets my stress going and adrenaline charging. Nothing like running in to scoop up the hostage and running. The part that usually gets me is when you have to jump or rappel off a 2nd story.

Vic_Viper

How do I download the HD resolution pack lol? It just launches the game when I click download on Steam. Cant find it in game in the shop section, and I dont even see a DLC option on Uplay lol.

Disgraced

Where can you read up on the latest strats pros use?
To my knowledge most of them try to keep their strategies secrets so as not to give their opponents advantages. They spend a lot of time reviewing matches, watching the other team play.

If you want to learn how they play, I suppose one of the best ways would be to do the same by watching the matches themselves.

Just installed the game via the free weekend promotion, and nothing is accessible from three menu except the tutorial videos. Multiplayer is greyed out from the menu and the Situations option tells me it's currently unavailable when I choose it.

Yeah, same here. What's going on?

Disgraced

By the way, if there are any GAFers trying the game out this weekend on Xbox without teammates, we do have a club. PM or reply to me on here with your GT for an invitation or PM me on Live—my GT is H2O Disgraced.

Playing the free weekend. This game is really stressful. Any bad habits get you punished even in the situations lol. Fun though. I hope I can get a handle on it so I can have some good matches before weekend is up.

That Operator guide posted above helps a lot too

Rocketz

a5jrRQz.png

raw

Worth picking it up on ps4? I have PC but I just don't play on PC much and bought it for like $20 at launch with a key. Is that version pretty good?

nahlakhai

Worth picking it up on ps4? I have PC but I just don't play on PC much and bought it for like $20 at launch with a key. Is that version pretty good?

If you have a good PC and can run above 60fps then I say go for PC. I initially started out on PS4 for Year 1 but I'm going PC for the rest of the way now.

If the servers were down, i hope we get free boosters.

This might sound a little crazy but i actually prefer the gameplay on the PS4, which i know how that sounds for an FPS. There is no auto-aim on any platform and it makes it feel a little more slow and methodical with a controller vs. the kinda "twitch game-play" on the PC. I'd watch some gameplay footage of both and see, but honestly I think the console version plays just a little closer to what Rainbow Six used to be.

It does also seem to have one of the better console communities, i've met quite a few nice people on here.

EDIT: If anyone playing the trial wants someone to play with, hit me up. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have/give some bad advice. PSN: jacob_armitage

andycapps

If the servers were down, i hope we get free boosters.

This might sound a little crazy but i actually prefer the gameplay on the PS4, which i know how that sounds for an FPS. There is no auto-aim on any platform and it makes it feel a little more slow and methodical with a controller vs. the kinda "twitch game-play" on the PC. I'd watch some gameplay footage of both and see, but honestly I think the console version plays just a little closer to what Rainbow Six used to be.

It does also seem to have one of the better console communities, i've met quite a few nice people on here.

EDIT: If anyone playing the trial wants someone to play with, hit me up. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have/give some bad advice. PSN: jacob_armitage
I have both, started on PS4. It's a lot better on PC, IMO. Being able to aim quickly and more precisely makes it a much better experience. It's still fun on PS4 and I still play it some.

Ricker

Downloaded the demo weekend on PS4 last night,could not play anything,that was around 10 PM EST,not even Situations,it always says currently not available,check back later...and same thing this morning...? Is it because I dont have a team/other players or friends...? I thought situations could be played solo...?

Top Bottom