• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

Biggest problem is that IQ can't tag those traps for others. I mean, I try to tell people where those things are on mic, but it's a clusterfuck to explain precisely since they're small and there's so many. It's gamey, but it'd be cool if you could scan at least Lesion's trap with IQ's gadget and it becomes visible for everyone.

Besides, I'm playing on Euro servers so a lot of people who can't into English at all. Kind of tough to do callouts.

So what's everyone's graphics setting on PC? I feel like something is off since they removed temporal filtering

Everything off/low except for textures on high, LOD on ultra, AF on 16x, shadows on medium. No AA.

Pretty much the best mix of performance and visual clarity.

It's gamey, but it'd be cool if you could scan at least Lesion's trap with IQ's gadget and it becomes visible for everyone.

I don't know, I mean it sounds useful but if people would pick IQ then every single round it would make Lesion completely and I mean com-plete-ly useless.

I played over 16 hours in the last days and while Lesion is one of my new mains now and the traps work sometimes pretty good, you already get rounds where this feature is hard to use at all if the opponents have Thatcher, Twitch, Ash or someone with a grenade or impact grenade, all of them can and will destroy your traps and people already getting used to use these gadgets for the traps.
What I want to say is, it's already hard enough to use them successfully against a good team, asking for more gadgets here would be equal to asking Ubi to remove him completely cause you obviously don't want these traps to work at all.

I remember how people cried about that Jackal would be massively OP with his gadget. We waited a few weeks and nobody cared anymore cause he simply wasn't.

nOoblet16

Everything off/low except for textures on high, LOD on ultra, AF on 16x, shadows on medium. No AA.

Pretty much the best mix of performance and visual clarity.
Tbf if you want to go that far for the purpose of visibility then you may as well turn LOD to low as well as it'll mean there are fewer objects cluttering your view.

I don't know, I mean it sounds useful but if people would pick IQ then every single round it would make Lesion completely and I mean com-plete-ly useless.

I played over 16 hours in the last days and while Lesion is one of my new mains now and the traps work sometimes pretty good, you already get rounds where this feature is hard to use at all if the opponents have Thatcher, Twitch, Ash or someone with a grenade or impact grenade, all of them can and will destroy your traps and people already getting used to use these gadgets for the traps.
What I want to say is, it's already hard enough to use them successfully against a good team, asking for more gadgets here would be equally to asking Ubi I remove him cause you obviously don't want these traps to work at all.

I remember how people cried about that Jackal would be massively OP with his gadget. We waited a few weeks and nobody cared anymore cause he simply wasn't.

Well, what I meant is that they would become visible, but not pinged and you wouldn't see it through walls or anything. It'd still fuck people up who are not careful.

Tbf if you want to go that far for the purpose of visibility then you may as well turn LOD to low as well as it'll mean there are fewer objects cluttering your view.
Lower LOD effects character models too, I want heads to remain head shaped and not turn into squares at range.

nOoblet16

So what's everyone's graphics setting on PC? I feel like something is off since they removed temporal filtering
I keep everything at ultra except textures, 2xMSAA +FXAA. Don't use TAA as it blues the image, the blurring itself I don't mind but mixed in with the old lighting it have everything a soft appearance that made things a bit harder to see.

I don't use HBAO+ as eventhough it's accurate it darkens the map waaayy too much.

I keep everything at ultra except textures, 2xMSAA +FXAA. Don't use TAA as it blues the image, the blurring itself I don't mind but mixed in with the old lighting it have everything a soft appearance that made things a bit harder to see.

I don't use HBAO+ as eventhough it's accurate it darkens the map waaayy too much.

not a fan of the ultra HD textures?

nOoblet16

Lower LOD effects character models too, I want heads to remain head shaped and not turn into squares at range.
Are you sure or are you basing it on an assumption btw? Anyhow regardless of how they look it should not affect the hitboxes itself, but I guess you want uniformity in appearance of models.

Also, LOD setting is rarely ever linear across all objects in games. So it's very well possible that you could max out the character LOD distance on medium itself while going above medium affects the map objects.

not a fan of the ultra HD textures?
I don't have an SSD, don't want 2-3 minute load times.

Are you sure or are you basing it on an assumption btw? Anyhow regardless of how they look it should not affect the hitboxes itself, but I guess you want uniformity in appearance of models.

Also, LOD setting is rarely ever linear across all objects in games. So it's very well possible that you could max out the character LOD distance on medium itself while going above medium affects the map objects.

I don't have an SSD, don't want 2-3 minute load times.

I'm not gonna get a tape measure out to be absolutely certain, but I'd rather just keep LOD on ultra than drop it to say medium for the sake of adding fluff visual effects.
Plus with the settings I'm using, I get a completely stable 144fps, not a single dip. I'd like to run some MSAA with it but it's not worth the performance hit in my opinion.

Cronnie

Besides, I'm playing on Euro servers so a lot of people who can't into English at all. Kind of tough to do callouts.

Yeah, I hear you, I tried calling out a Caveira to a player the other day, he ended up dying and sent me a bunch of messages about how I should speak Italian and Italy is the best, along with a bunch of racist nonsense, I was so confused at that reaction.

nOoblet16

I'm not gonna get a tape measure out to be absolutely certain, but I'd rather just keep LOD on ultra than drop it to say medium for the sake of adding fluff visual effects.
Plus with the settings I'm using, I get a completely stable 144fps, not a single dip. I'd like to run some MSAA with it but it's not worth the performance hit in my opinion.
You don't really need a tape, I can test it out and let you know about how it works :p

As for AA, what's your card? I avoid playing with absolutely no AA to the pixel crawl. When I turn my camera I want to avoid crawling/moving stuff on my screen as the only stuff I want to see moving is anything done by a player.

You don't really need a tape, I can test it out and let you know about how it works :p

As for AA, what's your card? I avoid playing with absolutely no AA to the pixel crawl. When I turn my camera I want to avoid crawling/moving stuff on my screen as the only stuff I want to see moving is anything done by a player.

GTX 1080.

I find the harsher edges to no AA makes character models pop out more to be honest.

nOoblet16

GTX 1080.

I find the harsher edges to no AA makes character models pop out more to be honest.
Yea I can see that happening as the game did use a bit of rim lighting/point light on characters and it'd show up more easily if there was no AA. Though with the new lighting I'm not sure how it works as everything is so dark, I got killed by this Blackbeard today on Kafe outside the train window and dude looked like he was wearing black....in the match end screen he had his default brown desert outfit. And I was like da fuk?

Yea I can see that happening as the game did use a bit of rim lighting/point light on characters and it'd show up more easily if there was no AA. Though with the new lighting I'm not sure how it works as everything is so dark, I got killed by this Blackbeard today on Kafe outside the train window and dude looked like he was wearing black....in the match end screen he had his default brown desert outfit. And I was like da fuk?

Weirdly enough, I don't find the game to look much darker. Maybe it's due to the settings, or the brightness of my monitor, etc. It looks a bit different, but just doesn't seem very dark to me. Some areas inside buildings actually look much brighter to me.

Someone got out of bounds on plane and was able to shoot us from anywhere. I don't think that's new but it really put a damper on things. I believe someone here was able to do something similar on Chalet too.

Man my friend and I are having a real rough time with the placement matches. Our team mates always end up being level 20-50 and the other team is all 120-180s.

Rocketz

Someone got out of bounds on plane and was able to shoot us from anywhere. I don't think that's new but it really put a damper on things. I believe someone here was able to do something similar on Chalet too.

Will never understand how people find it fun to map exploit in multiplayer games.

Unless there's cases where you spawn literally in enemies' FOV, I have no problem with spawn peeking. It just aggravates me so much to see people rush like Olympic runners each time towards the building and then complaining it's unfair when they get picked off right off the bat.

I mean, I'm not going to pretend that Siege is some realistic tactical shooter, but even in real life urban combat IT IS paramount that you pay attention to all windows as you move towards the entrance.

Auctopus

I've never been a fan of spawn peeking. Breaks what the game is designed to be.

ubidon'tcare

There's plenty of tactics that break what the game was originally designed to be and Ubi have no interest of stopping this game becoming 6v6 on Shipment. I mean, they removed the red flare from defenders jumping out 'cause they felt it hindered them too much.

OG Kush

ubidon'tcare

There's plenty of tactics that break what the game was originally designed to be and Ubi have no interest of stopping this game becoming 6v6 on Shipment. I mean, they removed the red flare from defenders jumping out 'cause they felt it hindered them too much.

Jumping out is a viable tactic at times though.

jkupper

Neo Member
Unless there's cases where you spawn literally in enemies' FOV, I have no problem with spawn peeking. It just aggravates me so much to see people rush like Olympic runners each time towards the building and then complaining it's unfair when they get picked off right off the bat.

I mean, I'm not going to pretend that Siege is some realistic tactical shooter, but even in real life urban combat IT IS paramount that you pay attention to all windows as you move towards the entrance.

Thats exactly how I feel.

Just a note spawn peeking is intended. There are early dev videos from pre-alpha out there where devs were spawn peeking on house and talking about how its a good defense strategy.

Rocketz

ubidon'tcare

Don't worry I'm still baffled by this.

So what is the game designed to be?

I should have said personally. I should clarify that I also mean right when they come out of spawn. Anything after that, you're fair game.

When the enemy is all repelling outside of windows and trying to pick their way into the obj you bet i'm jumpin out a window and soakin up all those clay pigeon points.

Well yeah, when you literally spawn on the crosshairs, that's bullshit. But most people consider anything in the first 30 seconds as you move towards the building spawn peeking.

When the enemy is all repelling outside of windows and trying to pick their way into the obj you bet i'm jumpin out a window and soakin up all those clay pigeon points.

Had such a good time on Herefort other day with Glaz as I was covering them from the rooftop of that smaller building. It was secure the room obj on the 1f room and all the others were going in from that breachable wall. Two people tried to flank them by jumping out on the other side of the building and I picked those motherfuckers off in no time. Felt gooooood.

Or when I was on Kanal with capitao and attempted to move into obj room on 2f, and knew that some motherfucker would attempt to flank me by jumping out of the 3f window above, and I placed that claymore in advance there. Beautiful.

andycapps

I've never been a fan of spawn peeking. Breaks what the game is designed to be.
It's a perfectly valid strategy that is easily countered. Setting up drones outside watching common spawn peek spots is one way, or keeping your drone inside and finding the defender.

Spawn peeking isn't an exploit or a glitch. I don't understand the gripes about it. Do I get pissed when I get spawn peeked? Yeah, but I get pissed about a lot of things but most of them are things I could have avoided.

It's a perfectly valid strategy that is easily countered. Setting up drones outside watching common spawn peek spots is one way, or keeping your drone inside and finding the defender.

Spawn peeking isn't an exploit or a glitch. I don't understand the gripes about it. Do I get pissed when I get spawn peeked? Yeah, but I get pissed about a lot of things but most of them are things I could have avoided.

Peeking is part of the meta, Ubi further reinforced this idea with the latest patch.

They still need to work on some of the spawns (e.g. back alley on Bank) but I've accepted it as part of the game and will partake in it as well when need be.

Is it fun to get killed in the first 5 seconds of a match? No. But, take a few extra seconds, figure out where you spawned and just ADS around whatever corner you're behind and be ready.

Disgraced

You should check or if possible even set your drones on common peeking positions, especially now that two drones are available for each player and because peeking positions are often entrances you should secure and push from anyhow.

Run-out spots of should always be claymore'd, especially the spots near where you plan to push—y'know, so your ass isn't blasted. If you're not bringing 1-2 (or more) claymores at all times and using them you're doing it wrong.

Rocketz

Spawn-killing is not cool.

Peeking is fine.

I was trying to some up something to say but this sums it up. Basically anything else is cool by me.

I thought the video from early fell under spawn killing so that's why I disagreed with it but hey that's my opinion. Everyone is different.

New black uniforms are sort of pay-to-win. Couldn't outline Ash on some dark stairs with that black uniform.

The game adds fake lighting on characters even if their outfit was pitch black. Visibility is key but anyway, new black uniform is still lighter than Ash's default uniform though.

Fury451

Banned
I've decided that Lesion is the best new op. His gadget versatility along with his shotgun make him a great room anchor or an annoyance that slows Attackers long enough for roamers to pick off.

Disgraced

Something seemingly forgotten is that attackers can actually change their spawn point during the prep phase in ranked. So, if you use your drone to check entrances and interior sniper's nests (peeking spots) instead of buzzing into the site after it and its defenders are ID'd and scanning them all again for points like a selfish, useless asshole you can then reselect your spawn point if you're not confident in outgunning the spawnpeeker(s).

Or hell, maybe you are confident so you'll actually switch to the zone with the spawnpeekers to take 'em out. Drones are very, very valuable.

You don't need to drone if you just aim at all the windows when you spawn. Just assume someone is there and at best you get a free frag or two at the start of the round. At worst you took an extra 2 seconds not sprinting to the building and you get to keep your life for that round.

Disgraced

You don't need to drone if you just aim at all the windows when you spawn. Just assume someone is there and at best you get a free frag or two at the start of the round. At worst you took an extra 2 seconds not sprinting to the building and you get to keep your life for that round.
That's bullshit. It's not always going to work. Why take that risk? If you happen to spawn alone or in a pair and there's a lot of openings you could easily lose. There's always somebody who shootbangs better.

Drone.

Drone.

D-R-O-N-E.

Drone.

Fucking drone.

Doing it efficiently provides security you don't have otherwise.

And place claymores. Even if you're not always killing anyone with them—let me tell you about these two little things called insurance and deterrence.

Addendum: I mean, you should be assuming someone is everywere at all times. "Stay frosty," yo. You use drones to make assurances, not assumptions. That's why they're so valuable. Info, man. The game is info.

Lesion is my anti-waifu. His name is so gross it might as well be Abscess. When he wears shorts and a helmet he looks like a little kid playing laser tag.

Top Bottom