• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six: Siege |OT| Idris Elba sold separately

I was under the impression that shotguns are useless, this is true?

Does shotgun aim increase when ADS'd?

Which shotguns/operators are worth using?

The pump actions are the cream of the crop while word on the street is that Lesion has a great semi auto.

The SAS shotgun is really good.

m590a1--1600x900.jpg

Keihart

the pellet spread is decreased when adsing, the best shotgun for adsing is frosts probably, is the one with the most consistent amount of pellets in the middle.

shotgun_spread_test/

Edit: haven't played enough with Ela's shotty but seems pretty kickass.

N0N1337H41

Neo Member
I apologize in advance if this post goes against etiquette; this is the community I trust to be the most well informed.

I have been interested in the game and I was on the edge of buying it a few months ago when I was told to wait until this patch was released. According to this person, the game was being redesigned (in part) to be much more welcoming to new players. I've searched other forums and blogs for a consensus, but all I can find is "the game is literally cancer" vs. "the game is literally the second coming of Christ".

So, GAF, would you recommend the game to someone who has never played it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

TCRS

Banned
The game is suddenly so bright and looks a bit weird. did they also use new textures?

Still have to wait 3 days before I can try the new classes. the poison needles are already annoying as fuck.

shottys are king when defending. I use the health guy only with the shotgun.

BigAl1992

Morning GAF! I wanted to ask you guys a question about the game, as I'm seriously considering buying the game on sale on PSN right, but it has to do with the Operators and Maps, specifically the season introduced operators and maps; are they considered separate DLC or can the operators be unlocked though normal gameplay a la Warframe, and if so, am I better off to just get the base version for €20? Thanks in advanced.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Morning GAF! I wanted to ask you guys a question about the game, as I'm seriously considering buying the game on sale on PSN right, but it has to do with the Operators and Maps, specifically the season introduced operators and maps; are they considered separate DLC or can the operators be unlocked though normal gameplay a la Warframe, and if so, am I better off to just get the base version for €20? Thanks in advanced.
Maps are free for everyone. DLC operators can be obtained by playing the game and getting renown. They cost 25k renown each. If you constantly play the game you'll be able to save up to get them. Though at this point, there's a lot of DLC operators to get so you're looking for a good time investment.

You get renown by completing matches, winning matches, doing your daily challenges, and Ubisoft challenges.

Not sure what the base version in question is, but if it's on sale for 15 euros it must be the standard edition. Yeah, it's the best bet, since you unlock standard operators pretty quickly. DLC operators are generally more advanced as well and you need to have a better sense fo map awareness for them, so you're not missing out on anything if you play the game a bit and grind the in-game currency for it.

There's also a 15 dollar edition that's always 15 dollars and that's the starter edition. It involves a lot of grinding. I picked it and I don't really regret it, I have about half the ops (including DLC) unlocked after 150+ hours, and while it seems grindy, I don't particularly care since I know which operators and which playstyles I like and I have all of those already. That's the thing, you pretty much learn from others playing what kind of operators tickle your fancy pretty fast and which ones seem shit. But at this point of the game, yeah, starter is a poor value proposition.

The standard base version is your best bet, it's worth the extra fiver or however much more it is than the starter edition.
For just the base operators that are in the game, it costs about 25K renown to unlock them all. Roughly 25-30 hours of play time. The starter edition cost several times that much renown and thus, several times more of your time. It really isn't worth it.

As for the new operators and maps, they're free. You don't need to pay any money to unlock them but they do require about 25K renown each, which again, takes about 25 hours to accumulate.

Shotguns are great for opening up walls and floors, especially useful on bomb since it's best to open up between sites. Outside of some part time reconstructions, they're only good for holding hard 90 degree angles and aggressive close range peeks.

The inconsistency with pellet spread makes them a pretty poor choice for regular use.

BigAl1992

The standard base version is your best bet, it's worth the extra fiver or however much more it is than the starter edition.

I'm assuming that you and everyone else mean the standard game that's usually €40 and now half price for me anyway on PSN, because I'm confused by this Starter Version everyone's talking about.

EDIT: Oh I get it now. FYI, I'm considering buying the Standard Game on PS4. That doesn't have the Starter Edition at all that the PC has.

I'm assuming that you and everyone else mean the standard game that's usually €40 and now half price for me anyway on PSN, because I'm confused by this Starter Version everyone's talking about.

EDIT: Oh I get it now. FYI, I'm considering buying the Standard Game on PS4. That doesn't have the Starter Edition at all that the PC has.

Then yeah, you're golden with that version, mate.

N0N1337H41

Neo Member
I feel like my question is being ignored. I'm cool with that if that's the case, honestly. But if I have done something wrong, can someone let me know what it is so I don't repeat it in the future?

I almost exclusively use shotguns; they're just so goddamn fun. The ragdolls alone are worth it. Plus the M59 (SAS) and CQB (GIGN) are superb weapons. Plus, Ela's one is quickly becoming a favourite. Sounds so spicy when suppressed.

I feel like my question is being ignored. I'm cool with that if that's the case, honestly. But if I have done something wrong, can someone let me know what it is so I don't repeat it in the future?
posts get glossed over mang

looking back up. This game is quite a looming tower for new players due to map knowledge alone. However it is rewarding and even my friend that is godawful due to not having a PC for ten years (due to some unfortunate circumstances) has been having a blast regardless.

There are trolls and shitheels, but ignore them as long as they arent teamkilling. If they are TKing, then fuck it and TK them back next round.

CrayToes

I apologize in advance if this post goes against etiquette; this is the community I trust to be the most well informed.

I have been interested in the game and I was on the edge of buying it a few months ago when I was told to wait until this patch was released. According to this person, the game was being redesigned (in part) to be much more welcoming to new players. I've searched other forums and blogs for a consensus, but all I can find is "the game is literally cancer" vs. "the game is literally the second coming of Christ".

Siege can be both of those things simultaneously, honestly. I personally don't think it's newcomer-friendly anymore however there is a great game hidden away if you're willing to put in the work to find it.

jkupper

Neo Member

I think the game is really good. Lots of people will complain about bugs but I rarely run into them.

There is a pretty steep learning curve but if you can stick through it, its one of the best shooters out there.

jkupper

Neo Member
I almost exclusively use shotguns; they're just so goddamn fun. The ragdolls alone are worth it. Plus the M59 (SAS) and CQB (GIGN) are superb weapons. Plus, Ela's one is quickly becoming a favourite. Sounds so spicy when suppressed.

Yea I really enjoy using shotguns. The key is to just change your playstyle. You can't hold the same angles that you would with rifles or smgs.

N0N1337H41

Neo Member
Thank you for the insights! I'm glad I wasn't screwing something up.

I'm fine with a steep learning curve, so I think I'll grab the game! I was most concerned with the community being open to new players. Thanks again for the responses!

Siege feels like it is the best game ever that literally doesn't want you to play it. You don't get the feeling of being 1v1 or 1v3 etc. to be quite as tense in any other game. The rewarding feeling you get from outplaying your enemies is second to no other feeling in videogames imo. However, the game used to be littered with bugs and inconsistencies. It used to break often and there was never a day where a game-breaking bug didn't make my blood boil. Recently though, this update has improved a lot of things. It felt like ubisoft had listened to every single player concern over the past 8 or so months and implemented fixes to make it a better game. Sure you get people on gaf complaining about nothing and very benign things but siege really has become a beutiful game. I personally couldn't imagine picking the game up now but I know there are a few people in this thread who are new to the game and can possibly help you along. You will need help because this game has an insanely steep learning curve, but I'd say it's worth the time investment

If your positioning is right you'll only be looking at one window at a time. Assuming someone is there is the same as droning them out. Then you've still got the advantage because you've got the momentum and peaker's advantage is a thing. Then you have just as much chance of losing as if you droned it out beforehand. I mean I get where you're coming from and you'd prefer to play it safe than sorry, but droning doesn't make you shoot better.
Take Kanal (rip) for instance. You can't drone that out. There's 3 floors and half a dozen windows looking at you. You've just gotta peel it right. Same on kafe. Same on coastline. You can't watch everywhere with your drone. You gotta just assume they're always doing the dirty.

Well, I think the game being cancer is generally aimed at the community. Yeah, there are annoying assholes, but it's not really exclusive to Siege. It would help if you have a buddy who is willing to play with you, I think it's a better experience, but nothing wrong with going solo either.

It's a great game otherwise.

Thank you for the insights! I'm glad I wasn't screwing something up.

I'm fine with a steep learning curve, so I think I'll grab the game! I was most concerned with the community being open to new players. Thanks again for the responses!
I've had a good experience on the community side of things, of course your mileage may vary (also depends on your platform I suppose, I play on PC for what it's worth) but generally people are pretty easy going and cool. The game's a lot of fun and features a lot you simply won't find elsewhere, the destruction, reinforcement, and gadgetry really just completely recontextualizes the way you'll look at a map in ways few other shooters can compare to, especially in the multiplayer space. It's the multiplayer shooter I'm having the most fun with at the moment, and whether you're looking for a casual laid back time, or want to get serious and play competitively, the game serves both sides pretty well.

Just don't buy the Starter Edition, it's a really poor value.

Any game with sudden death will have the same thrill and clutch moments. That's why Gears is so good. Sudden death coupled with the movement system. Even its TDM mode has the sudden death where you can clutch. I once won a game by myself when the enemy team still had three respawns left in their team pool. 8 kills to clinch the win. I wish all games with a TDM mode implemented Gears' version. It's the smallest twist but it makes it so much more compelling than others'.

N0N1337H41

Neo Member
Siege feels like it is the best game ever that literally doesn't want you to play it. You don't get the feeling of being 1v1 or 1v3 etc. to be quite as tense in any other game. The rewarding feeling you get from outplaying your enemies is second to no other feeling in videogames imo. However, the game used to be littered with bugs and inconsistencies. It used to break often and there was never a day where a game-breaking bug didn't make my blood boil. Recently though, this update has improved a lot of things. It felt like ubisoft had listened to every single player concern over the past 8 or so months and implemented fixes to make it a better game. Sure you get people on gaf complaining about nothing and very benign things but siege really has become a beutiful game. I personally couldn't imagine picking the game up now but I know there are a few people in this thread who are new to the game and can possibly help you along. You will need help because this game has an insanely steep learning curve, but I'd say it's worth the time investment.

Wow, thank you for the in-depth reply! This is exactly the type of opinion I was looking for. You've made my day.

TCRS

Banned
Finally played the new map after 2 hours of the old shit. So many nooks and crannies. Makes you go slow. Kind of spoopy too.

Lots of new players are buying into Siege, so you wont be alone in that regard.

It's not a hard game to learn by any means.

Pick it up, play a few starting operators, learn a few maps. Easiest to learn are House, Hereford Base, Chalet, Border..

Youll learn as you go along. No reason why you starting now is any different than others who started at launch. You may run into some high level players, but generally speaking, there are lots of new players playing, and since there was a free weekend/sale, you can expect to jump in now and find a decent enough time.

Casual mode has a team killing problem for sure, and can be toxic, but you will eventually find good people to play with. Make friends, add them, etc. Or join a community since those exist on consoles as a console-app feature.

One of the big things I see from new players is "wow, why didnt I play this sooner?". I sell Siege pretty hard, but it's the game Im the biggest fan of this gen, so maybe Im biased.

I tell everyone who shows an interest in this game. Be prepared to eat plates of shit for literally 40+ hours, then eat the same amount of plates of shit, but with less shit on them, for another 40 hours, then you get to eat less amounts of shit after you've put in 80 hours.

Also, try to find folks who can show you the ropes. Trying to learn this game on your own is something I cannot recommend.

But, to me, Siege really is the best tactical, team based shooter out right now. The amount of depth, strategies, team compositions mixed with the required map knowledge, operators and plain skill needed is unmatched.

I have a problem with the player base about 5% of the matches of play. It's mostly a good time

There's plenty of YouTube vids as well

If you are pc and in the USA I will play with you. We use discord

manhack

Siege is easy in my top 3 games of all time. I got in on the ground floor and have a good group to play with on PC Discord, so I don't run into a lot of the community issues.

I think starting out new would be great if you are up for the challenge. That's why I play games, but some people want to just kill stuff and move on. It really depends what you expect out of the game. Games like Siege, Battlefield, and Call of Duty all cover different bases for me in the FPS genre.

I still love to solo queue every once in awhile and there is a reddit discord community, as well if you want to find team mates.

Disgraced

It's not a hard game to learn by any means.
It's not hard to learn, but there's a lot to learn.

After tens of hours you'll always be learning something new. After hundreds of hours you'll always be learning something new. After thousands. After going competitive. After going pro you'll still be learning new tricks, spots, and strats.

There's always something new to be learned in Siege.

andycapps

I need to play on the PC discord server again. It's been a while but I feel like I'm probably behind skill wise of where everyone else is if they've been playing together regularly.

I need to play on the PC discord server again. It's been a while but I feel like I'm probably behind skill wise of where everyone else is if they've been playing together regularly.

It's a mish mash most of the time, lot of skill levels playing together sans for a few people.

nOoblet16

You don't need to drone if you just aim at all the windows when you spawn. Just assume someone is there and at best you get a free frag or two at the start of the round. At worst you took an extra 2 seconds not sprinting to the building and you get to keep your life for that round.
This is just wrong.
The game is all about I formation. You can pre fire but ore firing is useless if you don't know where the enemy is. There are 5 different places where you could be pre firing but you wouldn't know where to unless you drone.

This is just wrong.
The game is all about I formation. You can pre fire but ore firing is useless if you don't know where the enemy is. There are 5 different places where you could be pre firing but you wouldn't know where to unless you drone.
Your drone isn't always going to make it. I don't prefire blindly a ton, but there are places where there isn't much downside. Say for example spawning by the pool on Coastline, and then strafing left until the hookah lounge window comes into view. That's a pretty good place to dump some bullets just in case before getting a visual. Once you get close to the building it really doesn't matter much, so you don't have to worry about accidentally opening up a sightline for the defenders.

In general though I'd rather pre-aim than prefire and pick spawns where I can clear one angle at a time. For example Border, spawning to the south, walk right up the hill, pre-aim the break room door. If you're good there peak the lobby windows while going around the air conditioners on their left side, since shooting from like offices or 2f hallway somewhat blindly is seemingly getting kind of popular. Then pre-aim the whole way to the right until you can confirm that the east stairs entrance isn't open.

Some approaches I just straight up avoid, for instance on Kafe, if you spawn Christmas Market and go left, which tons of people still do... first of all you have the most common peek which is tough to deal with with that bakery west window. Then you have the top floor window coming into view around the same time making it tough to clear both. And they can just fake the bakery window, and as you strafe out and prefire it jump out of the bakery north windows and get a pretty good angle on you. Or they can take the window peek and then rotate to said north windows for a follow very quickly.

Whereas if you go to the right you can check the top floor windows pretty quickly, and then just worry about bakery door as you move up, shoot it open, and continue to the right to where you have a safe spot to start droning again.

On Plane because it's so hard to see whether a door has been opened, it's important to have some drones by at least the wing entrance and the bottom front entrance if you're trying that typical northeast spawn, and even then it might make sense to chill behind a firetruck for a few seconds.

Also, instead of whining about peeks and jump outs being in the game, people should consider that it's good to try and perfect said peeks and jump outs if only to see how other players successfully counter them.

Switched from a cheap laser mouse to a not so cheap optical mouse (Steelseries Rival 310) and the difference is incredibly noticeable. Feels so much smoother and more precise.

It also feels like I need to relearn how to aim, since even sticking to the same DPI/CPI, it feels a bit slower.
Damn nice mouse now. Looks good, quite light, would recommend.

Varth

Any reason why my trials have been revoked? Server error or something connected with the new update? Should I play them again?

Any reason why my trials have been revoked? Server error or something connected with the new update? Should I play them again?

You mean the Situations? Yeah, when they recompiled the game, it must have wiped everyone's progress in those missions. Not a big deal for most, my friends and I spent an hour or so playing through them again which was kinda fun.

You mean the Situations? Yeah, when they recompiled the game, it must have wiped everyone's progress in those missions. Not a big deal for most, my friends and I spent an hour or so playing through them again which was kinda fun.

Do you know if it also wiped the progress towards trophies? I'm still trying to get the 100 defend THunt missions trophy.

Do you know if it also wiped the progress towards trophies? I'm still trying to get the 100 defend THunt missions trophy.

Good question. If you check your stats on the R6 website, it should show you how many you've completed. I'd imagine it's synched with their servers, so I don't think your progress will be reset. Not that the number of defends displayed also includes the Situations, but I don't think they count towards the number for the trophy. Dumb, I know.

Top Bottom