• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Tain

I don't like Japanese games.
I think anyone over the age of 14 that religiously plays pokemon is either a pedophile or has some serious maturity/mental deficiencies.
FPS are boring.
I hate Mario.
ME2 was a huge let down.
Platformers are all samie samie.
Profanity in most games feels forced and out of place.
There isn't enough severing of limbs in games.

bolded the one good line in there

okenny

Banned
Mass Effect 1 >>>>>>>>>>>> 2

I personally liked the tank driving and shooting sequence. I thought it was challenging (in a good way) to find the right incline to rest at to get the right angle of attack. I think fans did the future iterations of bioware games development a disservice by bitching about that instead of just the repetitive environments. In fact, everything fans bitched about was what made those games amazing Western RPGs. YES... EVERYTHING [SHUT UP: EVERYTHING]!

Oreoleo

I thought GAF generally agreed that ME1 was better than the sequel?

I dunno, I never played either of them.

I think it's split pretty evenly down the middle, which is the problem. Every Mass Effect or Bioware thread devolves into a ME catfight sooner or later.

So far, GTA IV has been the best in the series by far!

Oh, yeah. This too. Was still overrated by gaming media but it's definitely the best in the series and I loved it to death. Played the SHIT out of it.

Kusagari

I personally liked the tank driving and shooting sequence. I thought it was challenging (in a good way) to find the right incline to rest at to get the right angle of attack. I think fans did the future iterations of bioware games development a disservice by bitching about that instead of just the repetitive environments. In fact, everything fans bitched about was what made those games amazing Western RPGs. YES... EVERYTHING [SHUT UP: EVERYTHING]!

Yeah, I actually loved the Mako. Not sure what was so bad about it that inspired such bile towards it.

PKrockin

The Dreamcast was a horrible console. Huge, cheap-feeling, uncomfortable controller with no second analog and only six buttons, a garbage VMU system, and an unbelievably loud and finicky disc drive.

apana

If your game has gunplay as the main gameplay mechanic an isn't 2D, I will probably never play it unless it has an interesting sci fi setting or scoring mechanic to keep me interested. They're not fun. Combat was my least favourite part of both Metroid Prime and Bioshock.

IGAvanias > you. Lords of Shadow's announcement filled me with dread that one of my favourite series was dead and this feeling was later vindicated.

I dislike having to make my own fun. It's why I could never get into sandbox games, creation games (LBP, Freaky Forms, Minecraft et al) or Scribblenauts.

The overwhelming majority of the AAA console games this gen are in genres I have no interest in whatsoever (FPS, TPS, fighting, sandbox, pseudo-fighting, racing, sports). It boggles my mind to think that millions of dollars are routinely spent producing such graphically spectacular and personally unenjoyable dross. Thank God for handhelds.

I haven't got 100 hours to spend in front of a TV. If your game is on a console, cut the fat or that totally sweet endgame content ain't getting played. I think I've finished like four console games this generation.

Online multiplayer is completely uninteresting to me. Competitive multiplayer doubly so.

Dual analogs have always been a sub-optimal solution for camera control and have in recent years been rendered redundant by things like touchscreens/pads and motion controllers. The only reason they are still the defacto standard is because reactionary curmudgeons like you are terrified of change.

3D is a gimmick on the same level as something like bump mapping. It makes things look prettier, but you really have to stretch to find examples of it improving gameplay. And yes, this includes 3D Land. I actually quite like 3D, but let's not get carried away here.

I've always liked your opinions even if I don't agree. Your opinion about dual analog isn't really all that controversial. In fact it shouldn't even be thought of as an opinion, it is just fact.

Emitan

Yeah, I actually loved the Mako. Not sure what was so bad about it that inspired such bile towards it.

It controlled like absolute shit. I have no idea why I tolerated it when the game was new. I mean, I still fucking love Mass Effect 1 (EatChildren is probably the only person on NeoGAF who has spent more money on Mass Effect stuff than me), but GOOD GOD THE CONTROLS!

Sega were my bros back in the day, with the Master System and the Mega Drive, much due to Sonic and Streets of Rage II. Really liked the NES and the SNES too, but mainly due to all the awesome third party games Sega never got, as Nintendo's first-party, besides Mario, never really did much for me.

Sega went Nintendo-insane with the Mega CD, the 32X, the Saturn and the Dreamcast, but unlike Nintendo it didn't work out for them (I stopped caring about Sega around the 32X launch, I could see where they were heading). Still hope they'll one day resurrect Alex Kidd and give him a new game like Miracle World. Or make some more Disney games like Quackshot, Lucky Dime Caper or Castle of Illusion.

And yeah, the build quality of the OG 360 is probably worse than any Sony console to date. Microsoft got their shit together though.
I stuck with Sega until the 32X myself as well. Though I jumped back into the fold with the Dreamcast. In the two years it was viable I bought so many games. So much crap along the way too. So much crap.

I never really expected Sega's fall, but I could see it coming. They were a mess of epic proportions.

Nintendo and Sony have both screwed up on huge levels. But neither have just done the sustained blunder of Sega.

Yet at least. And on the subject I'd love to see that entire era of serious licensed games come back. I mean we've seen better Batman games of late than really ever before, but most licensed titles end up being more than a little questionable. Even stuff like Epic Mickey ends up being... disappointing at best. And with modern tech this stuff could look terrific. Pixar needs a game art and animation division.

Hell I just miss the era of simple platformers and beat em ups. To this day I can play an arcade classic and have fun. I doubt I'll look back that fondly on Mass Effect.

Raide

The Dreamcast was a horrible console. Huge, cheap-feeling, uncomfortable controller with no second analog and only six buttons, a garbage VMU system, and an unbelievably loud and finicky disc drive.

Agreed but the games were awesome!

[Clark Gable];34360142 said:
I don't like or play pokemon, but this is absurd.

Quite possibly, but I can't fathom why any person would willingly subject themselves to that monstrosity. My oldest loved Pokemon and every time the show came on I wanted to hang my myself and leave a note saying "This was Daddy's only way out".

It's like he's trying to find a stealth way of calling Jeff Gurtsmen a pedophile.

So stealth in fact, I had to google his name to figure out who he is.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Grand Theft Auto series is moving in the wrong direction.

Legend of Dragoon is a great RPG and Sony should've continued the franchise ala FF.

The most under-discussed sleeper hit on GAF is Metal Arms: Glitch in the System.

I found the gunplay in Half-Life 2 and the Episodes rather boring.

Fighting games are less about remembering kick ass combos and more about remember frame-technobabble bullshit.

FFVIII had a great concept and the some of the best music in the series.

FFXII had the most fleshed out world in the series.

That's all I got for now.
Halo 2 is the best Halo.
You should post in the Halo community thread.

mudkyp

I enjoyed Deus Ex: Invisible War.
I liked Xenosaga 3.
I kinda hate Uncharted 3.
I think Arkham City is worst than Asylum by a large margin.
Boktai is awesome.

Fighting games are less about remembering kick ass combos and more about remember frame-technobabble bullshit.

Factually wrong on both accounts. Fighting games are about predicting your opponent's moves and punishing their mistakes with superior positioning. Knowing frame data can be useful, but it is NEVER going to make you into a good player. Sorry dude!

Oreoleo

I will almost always enjoy a game that is a "flawed masterpiece" more than one that is polished to hell.

In other words I prefer the 75-85 Metacritic range of games to those that are 90+

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
aocjxrq061.gif
Why is Alex Kidd so happy in this gif?

And while some are on the subject Bioware has never been able to write for shit.

It's always tripe. Sometimes it's entertaining tripe.

The story in ME1 is better than the story of ME2, but that's like saying a certain episode of Smallville is better than another. Badly written piece of scifi trash was better than badly written (and acted can't forget acted) piece of scifi trash. Woo hoo!

PKrockin

Quite possibly, but I can't fathom why any person with would willingly subject themselves to that monstrosity. My oldest loved Pokemon and every time the show came on I wanted to hang my myself and leave a note saying "This was Daddy's only way out".

Where do you get the pedophile thing?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I stuck with Sega until the 32X myself as well. Though I jumped back into the fold with the Dreamcast. In the two years it was viable I bought so many games. So much crap along the way too. So much crap.

I never really expected Sega's fall, but I could see it coming. They were a mess of epic proportions.

Nintendo and Sony have both screwed up on huge levels. But neither have just done the sustained blunder of Sega.

Yet at least. And on the subject I'd love to see that entire era of serious licensed games come back. I mean we've seen better Batman games of late than really ever before, but most licensed titles end up being more than a little questionable. Even stuff like Epic Mickey ends up being... disappointing at best. And with modern tech this stuff could look terrific. Pixar needs a game art and animation division.

Hell I just miss the era of simple platformers and beat em ups. To this day I can play an arcade classic and have fun. I doubt I'll look back that fondly on Mass Effect.

I bought the Backbone ports of Streets of Rage II, Altered Beast and Golden Axe off PSN. The controls were terribad and much worse than I remember them to be, but I still had fun with the games, reliving memories of childhood. I'm almost tempted to dig out my Master System to see if I can get it to work, and play me some Outrun. That game was boss.

A HD upport/remake of Sega's old 16-bit Disney games would be nice. Even Lucky Dime Caper would probably look nice if they jut brushed it up a bit.

okenny

Banned
I would have figured it out faster if all this Pokémon knowledge wasn't clogging up my brain.

You really should get some psychological counseling before you end up hurting a child.

Paid DLC and online passes are a good thing.

I agree with these alternate revenue stream methods when they are done right. If making more money encourages the developer to give me more of what I like then so be it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Factually wrong on both accounts. Fighting games are about predicting your opponent's moves and punishing their mistakes with superior positioning. Knowing frame data can be useful, but it is NEVER going to make you into a good player. Sorry dude!
Oh I've no interest in frame data myself it's just whenever I've gone to any fighting game forum and I look up a topic on a character in hopes of getting better I would see nothing but post discussing frame data. Really turned me off from fighting games.

"Gaming" opinion.

You are calling fellow NeoGAF posters pedophiles.

I didn't exactly say "hey you Y neogaf poster you are are pedo". I gave an opinion on Pokemon. Yes I feel guys in their late teens and older are very odd to be wrapped up in pokemon.

Also note I used the key term "religiously" in my original post.

I don't care for motion controls of any kind and I don't like any of Valve's games!
I played Xenoblade and I didn't think it was all that!
When Skyward Sword informed me of how much rupees are worth I turned it off and don't plan to ever play it again because the worst part of Twilight Princess was having a description pop up for anything you picked up!
I hated Final Fantasy XIII but will give XIII-2 a shot because Square-Enix seemed to take the criticism to heart whereas I won't even bother playing Dragon Age III because of Bioware's assurance that fans just didn't get their bold new direction!

Oh I've no interest in frame data myself it's just whenever I've gone to any fighting game forum and I look up a topic on a character in hopes of getting better I would see nothing but post discussing frame data. Really turned me off from fighting games.

Alright yeah I definitely understand that some FG forums get too wrapped up in that shit and can be unwelcoming to new players.

Paying for online play is unacceptable.

I want nothing to do with motion controls.

MMOs are entirely shit.

Bioshock is the most overrated game of this generation.

I do not think Rez is a great game. I don't even think its a good game. Its a fantastic experience every gamer should try, but it gets old quick, and it's a lousy, boring game overall.

Top Bottom