• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

I CALL BULLSHIT! Better than the iPad? Seriously?! Had you said iOS, I may have agreed but iPhone is a terrible game device. It's not till the iPad were virtual analog sticks and buttons perfected. It was a terrible experience on the iPhone which covered up most of your game action... I'm not even sure the dead zone on the iPhone analog sticks were that good either.

The iPad isn't nearly as portable though. My phone is within an arm's reach 24/7 and if you're playing games that require virtual thumbsticks then you're doing it wrong.(The sole exception being Chrono Trigger)

rpmurphy

Nintendo going third party? Not that unpopular an opinion. Many just seem hesitant to voice it aloud. Most of gaming media seems to jack it furiously to this concept whenever a hint of the idea comes-up.

They catch themselves and stop just short of moaning audibly, "Zelda on xBox.. Zelda on xBox.. ohhh... yeeaaahh.. dun-dun-dun-DUNNNN! Thank you, Bill Gates!"
Nintendo going third party would create a big crater in the industry that would take years to fill and would severely undercut hardware competitiveness and innovation. Having Nintendo games on other platforms wouldn't strengthen the industry in any significant fashion.

Back when I got started, which sounds like ancient history, back then the demographics of people who were into computer games, was totally different, in my opinion, then they are today. Back then, computers were more expensive, which made them more exclusive to people who were maybe at a certain income level, or education level. So the people that played computer games 15 years ago were that type of person. They probably didn't watch television as much, and the instant gratification era hadn't quite grown the way it has lately. I think in the last 5 or 6 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More "average" people now feel they should own one.

ctrayne

I don't like to share this because I don't like pissing all over things people like, but since we're all doing it...

I do not enjoy
Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, Tales of _____, over-enthusiastic Nintendo zealots, and anthropomorphic mascots/sidekicks designed to sell shit to kids (Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Daxter, whatever. They all serve the same purpose.)

Throw all the (misused) C.S. Lewis quotes you want at me. I feel pretty solid about this and I think it's a little sad when grown men are ranting about things clearly designed for younger, simpler minds to enjoy - at least until you have kids of your own. I know I probably just made a lot of people's ignore list, but I promise you will never me hopping in your Kingdom Hearts threads and taking a huge dump in there. It's not cool, and I don't feel strongly enough about it to ruin other people's day over it. They're just games anyway, and I don't know you and probably shouldn't judge you from your avatar.
But I will. A little.

I also am not big on the other extreme - I don't typically do Gears of War-type stuff, I'm not big on excessive gore, I don't like most horror games unless there's intelligent writing too, and the treatment/depiction/role of women in games tends to weigh more with me than to the average "gamer" I'm sure. Even great games might get a pass from me if the nerd-boner level is high enough that I'd be embarrassed to show it to my spouse.

(Yes, SR3 somehow passes, probably because it's satire.)

The worst part of gaming is other people who play games.
9 out of 10 times this is utter truth.

Edit: Remembered another thing - game posters/wallscrolls. Take 'em down, boys.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Umm lets see...

-I dont like Portal games. In defense though I dont think they're bad, just not for me. At all. I also think, portal 2, the dialogue was not very witty or clever at all. After I finished Portal 2 I vowed to never buy a Portal game again. And I was mad because it was a choice between P2 and MK9 which to buy, and I really wished I had chose MK9 instead.

-I dont like Half Life 2 all that much. Very cliched and repetitive.

-I think pirates are thieves and ruined PC gaming, I am certain piracy stopped developers from targeting the PC with great triple A exclusives (pretty sure this qualifies as a controversial opinion on GAF and most of the internet).

-I think PC gamers on the internet are just about the loudest, most obnoxious, whiny, probably one of the worst gaming factions out there, for multiple reasons.

-I think Microsoft are the best technical hardware engineers in console gaming, better than Nintendo and Sony (I mean technical engineering, not mechanical, IE RROD=mechanical).

-I think the Gamecube was a poor technical effort by Nintendo, ditto the N64, and even the SNES (the key on all these is you must take timeframe into account, IE SNES was great and arguably better than Genesis, BUT I felt for it's time (1.5 years after mega drive) it could/should have been closer to Neo Geo power). I think Nintendo has consistently been mediocre at engineering hardware, while the public perception is probably the reverse.

-I hate the media bias towards casual/bite sized/iOS/indie gaming. I think Facebook, iOS gaming is almost 100% crap that I have no interest in. Zero. I think hardcore, $60, on a disc, console gaming is by far the best yet the group most shit on or perceived falsely as a dying breed by the media, and basically looked at with scorn by the media (looking at you John Davison of 1up yours LOL).

-I dont give a flip about 60 FPS (though I recognize it's allegedly superior for certain genres).

-I think graphics are more important than gameplay, and pretty much the most important factor in gaming, and incredibly unappreciated as to the impact and power they have.

there's probably more but thats good for now i guess...

so u like good graphics yet you hate pc gaming?

that is not an opinion. It is cognitive dissonance.

3D Mario, Zelda and Metroid games are fucking garbage.

Never understood the hype megaman got and was more enjoying the bitter tears when Megaman Legends 3 was cancelled.

Half Life > Half Life 2

UT99 > Quake 3

Sonic was always garbage (2d and 3d)

Nintendo Fanboys are the worst out of the 3 (though the Sony ones are up there)

Yeah, I loved my PS1 and PS2 (still do), and love my PS3 too despite its shortcomings (my PSP can go fuck itself though, terrible piece of shit). But I wouldn't deny reality regarding Sony's massive fuckup with the PS3 and sort-of halfway fuckups with the PSP and PSVita. Still, I'll be there for the PS4 to get my fill of Sony first-party goodness.

Right on.

Nintendo and Sega were definitely my first loves in the gaming industry. Nintendo in particular. My older bro had a Colecovision with Donkey Kong. Me pretty damn young got addicted to it. Been to a degree attached to their games since.

I have ups and downs with Sony. I cursed them when the disc drive on my PS2 stopped spinning. Right around a month before Silent Hill 3. When they told me it was out of warranty and I'd have to pay the price of a PS2 to get it fixed I pretty much swore off of Sony consoles.

Got a lot of good gaming out of it before hand though. After three 360's though, Sony stupidity doesn't seem all that bad.

udivision

Handhelds could go die, especially if it meant Paper Mario, Pokemon, MonHun, and other handheld-heavy games would be made for consoles instead.

Magnus

The N64 Zelda games look and sound like mud.

And Mega Man Legends 3 was nowhere NEAR the big deal the hardcore fan community made it out to be. Of all the Mega Man series' to get worked up about! MML was garbage.

Everything about Halo is remarkably average.

The JRPG genre needs to be annihilated and rebuilt from the ground up. Vestigial bullshit from back in the day like random battles and world maps need to vanish and forever stay away.

The VITA looks hideously large and blocky compared to the PSP Go, or most other mobile devices/smartphones. When people rave and drool over its design, I can't tell if they're joking or insane. Who seriously lugs that massive brick around in their pockets! The PSP was big enough.

Oreoleo

With few exceptions, people love GiantBomb for the personalities. Especially if we are talking more game criticism than game journalism. The fanbase on NeoGAF is constantly debasing their opinions, more so if the individual poster has a low opinion of game journos in general.
Yeah, as I mentioned I'm not even referring to GAF at large so much as a few individual people I talk to who seem to lap it up. It's not something I would have even brought up if I didn't see that other guy mention it. Those few individuals fanaticism over it just sorta rubs me the wrong way.

That's another one. Bayonetta and Vanquish. And gaf is probably the only place where this opinion is "controversial"

They were both decent/good games with really great gameplay but imo gaf takes it way, wayyy to0 far with its lavish, hyperbolic, semi-religious praise of these two games.

I know the point of this thread is to speak your mind without worry of getting ripped to shreds over it but I have a hard time biting my tongue with this (And after re-reading your post maybe this isn't directed at you so much, but I saw someone else mention disliking Bayonetta in this thread so here we go. ALL ABOARD!). With the caveat that you are entitled to your opinion and not every game is for everyone please let me get this off my chest:

Mechanically, Bayonetta and Vanquish are two of the best games AT LEAST of this generation, if not ever. Sure, maybe the character and aesthetic design in Bayonetta might not be all that, and the campaign of Vanquish can be tedious with little sense of progression. But the actual game play of both of those games... they are basically best in genre. In that regard, they deserve all the praise they get :D

ctrayne

-I dont like Half Life 2 all that much. Very cliched and repetitive.

Most of your list I disagree with but understand, but calling HL2 cliched and repetitive is silly. It's no more so than most other games. It's just not something you like, and that's OK.

Anteater

"What's your controversial gaming opinion?"

"Well, apparently I've always been hiding that I'm a huge fanboy and kind of an asshole when given the opportunity! I will express my opinions forcefully, insult others who do not share them, and maybe a troll a little for fun."

"....oh."

"YEAH, THIS THREAD IS GREAT."

aocjxrq061.gif

sp3000

Back when I got started, which sounds like ancient history, back then the demographics of people who were into computer games, was totally different, in my opinion, then they are today. Back then, computers were more expensive, which made them more exclusive to people who were maybe at a certain income level, or education level. So the people that played computer games 15 years ago were that type of person. They probably didn't watch television as much, and the instant gratification era hadn't quite grown the way it has lately. I think in the last 5 or 6 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More "average" people now feel they should own one.

I honestly think that the average education level of a gamer has decreased so very dramatically from the 90s. At least on the PC.

Someone prove me wrong so I can have faith in the gaming industry.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Right on.

Nintendo and Sega were definitely my first loves in the gaming industry. Nintendo in particular. My older bro had a Colecovision with Donkey Kong. Me pretty damn young got addicted to it. Been to a degree attached to their games since.

I have ups and downs with Sony. I cursed them when the disc drive on my PS2 stopped spinning. Right around a month before Silent Hill 3. When they told me it was out of warranty and I'd have to pay the price of a PS2 to get it fixed I pretty much swore off of Sony consoles.

Got a lot of good gaming out of it before hand though. After three 360's though, Sony stupidity doesn't seem all that bad.

Sega were my bros back in the day, with the Master System and the Mega Drive, much due to Sonic and Streets of Rage II. Really liked the NES and the SNES too, but mainly due to all the awesome third party games Sega never got, as Nintendo's first-party, besides Mario, never really did much for me.

Sega went Nintendo-insane with the Mega CD, the 32X, the Saturn and the Dreamcast, but unlike Nintendo it didn't work out for them (I stopped caring about Sega around the 32X launch, I could see where they were heading). Still hope they'll one day resurrect Alex Kidd and give him a new game like Miracle World. Or make some more Disney games like Quackshot, Lucky Dime Caper or Castle of Illusion.

And yeah, the build quality of the OG 360 is probably worse than any Sony console to date. Microsoft got their shit together though.

Log4Girlz

Twilight Princess was boring and I hated the transmutation aspect of it. I'm playing Skyward Sword and the dungeon followed by dungeon design is aggravating, and the empty overworld is the laziest thing I've seen in years.

Mario Galaxy got stale after a few dozen stars, I must force myself to finish it some day.

If your game has gunplay as the main gameplay mechanic an isn't 2D, I will probably never play it unless it has an interesting sci fi setting or scoring mechanic to keep me interested. They're not fun. Combat was my least favourite part of both Metroid Prime and Bioshock.

IGAvanias > you. Lords of Shadow's announcement filled me with dread that one of my favourite series was dead and this feeling was later vindicated.

I dislike having to make my own fun. It's why I could never get into sandbox games, creation games (LBP, Freaky Forms, Minecraft et al) or Scribblenauts.

The overwhelming majority of the AAA console games this gen are in genres I have no interest in whatsoever (FPS, TPS, fighting, sandbox, pseudo-fighting, racing, sports). It boggles my mind to think that millions of dollars are routinely spent producing such graphically spectacular and personally unenjoyable dross. Thank God for handhelds.

I haven't got 100 hours to spend in front of a TV. If your game is on a console, cut the fat or that totally sweet endgame content ain't getting played. I think I've finished like four console games this generation.

Online multiplayer is completely uninteresting to me. Competitive multiplayer doubly so.

Dual analogs have always been a sub-optimal solution for camera control and have in recent years been rendered redundant by things like touchscreens/pads and motion controllers. The only reason they are still the defacto standard is because reactionary curmudgeons like you are terrified of change.

3D is a gimmick on the same level as something like bump mapping. It makes things look prettier, but you really have to stretch to find examples of it improving gameplay. And yes, this includes 3D Land. I actually quite like 3D, but let's not get carried away here.

I don't like Japanese games.
I think anyone over the age of 14 that religiously plays pokemon is either a pedophile or has some serious maturity/mental deficiencies.
FPS are boring.
I hate Mario.
ME2 was a huge let down.
Platformers are all samie samie.
Profanity in most games feels forced and out of place.
There isn't enough severing of limbs in games.

okenny

Banned
Gaming would be better if there was no multiplayer whatsoever. True we would lose some great games but the overall benefit would be great.

Let's be clear, multiplayer games should stay multiplayer but I hate the way single player games have tacked on multiplayer or how loved franchises want to become MMOs. I remembered how I played through the original Thief game and how I play through Skyrim presently. I can attack that game at my own pace... as slowly and OCD as I want without having to be judged, humiliated and victimized. People say well you don't have to play it that way or tell you to only play with friends but if you have to play it that way to see all the content you payed for or if you don't have friends then you are basically being abused by the publisher or being robbed of the full experienced you paid for. If a publisher can't make it possible for everyone to play a game they way they prefer then that feature shouldn't be in the game. It's unethanol.

I don't like Japanese games.
I think anyone over the age of 14 that religiously plays pokemon is either a pedophile or has some serious maturity/mental deficiencies.
FPS are boring.
I hate Mario.
ME2 was a huge let down.
Platformers are all samie samie.
Profanity in most games feels forced and out of place.
There isn't enough severing of limbs in games.

I don't like or play pokemon, but this is absurd.

Acrylic7

kz2 is the best online fps experience this gen/

ff7 is the best ff. (ff3 nes is also acceptable)

Uncharted is just a well polished game, noting special. Should be the standard for every game released today in terms of polish and execution.

Nintendo isn't a genius company, they are idiots. So are Microsoft and Sony

The Vita is not sexy, its glossy and thats it.

any FF after 10 is GARBAGE!

Kusagari

Beyond Good & Evil is one of the worst games I've ever played. NOTHING about that game is good.

Every 2D Zelda game is boring as hell to play

The Uncharted Series sucks as an actual 'game' series.

Mass Effect 1 >>>>>>>>>>>> 2

Mario Galaxy >>>>>>>>>> Galaxy 2

The God of War series is complete shit

Infamous is one of the worst open world games I've ever played

Donkey Kong Country 2 is the best platformer on the SNES

Natiko

Banned
All of the Grand Theft Auto games starting with GTAIII have been bad. They have boring missions, boring gameplay, and generally mediocre characters/plot. The 'best' one is Vice City and I think it's at best an average game. Sure they were technical marvels at the time but that doesn't make up for the fact that they simply were not fun.

All of this is my opinion of course.

Xilium

I have zero interest in pure shooters and don't feel bad not playing any of them (I play some RPG hybrid ones).
The Mario series has gotten old and boring after 15+ years (More or less applies to all Nintendo franchises for me).
I liked FFXIII.
I don't like Steam (DRM is DRM, no matter how you pretty it up).
I think iOS games are mostly just "glorified flash games" and a fad among core gamers.
Xenoblade is very overrated.
Other than MMOs, Fallout: NV, FFXII (If that would count) and Saints Row: The Third, I find open world games to be pretty boring.
Don't get the love for Bioshock or Limbo.
Not impressed by the combat in the Batman games.

Top Bottom