• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

So much hate for FF9 in this thread. It makes my heart hurt.

In my defense, it was not really the game but it's character models that turned me off. I understand that FF9 was their last "old school" FF on PS1 but those models really made me just hate the game. I played a bit of it then stopped.

plufim

CRYSTAL BEARERS is totally awesome and I will keep singing its praises until the day I die.

You're not alone - it was a great, if flawed game.

Opnion which is actually fact: Beetle Adventure Racing is the greatest racing game of all time.

Ashes

Banned
I was just saying this same thing in another thread. I love it despite it not being a perfect game. I just loved to play it.

But you have no right to like a game somebody else hates though. Let alone love it. It doesn't make sense.

I don't like Silent Hill as much as SH2 or 3. It's good, but it just didn't click with me quite like the sequels. I think they're better which is why I've replayed both more than four times whereas SH1 I've played once and stopped during my second.

Maybe if it didn't have frustrating flying enemies...

plufim

I was just saying this same thing in another thread. I love it despite it not being a perfect game. I just loved to play it.

It was a colorful, lighthearted game with an interesting story. There is far too little of that these days.

NewFresh

The traditional JRPG has always been and will continue to be boring and not fun.

Every single sonic game has been broken by it's own idea

Halo was better when vehicles couldn't explode in multiplayer

All of the Gears games were poorly written shaky cam running sequences

Ashes

Banned
Oh yeah, I completely forgot!

Now my face is red...

...you mean I can't like FFXIII either?

You have to ask your self one thing. And one thing only. Does someone on the internet hate this game? If they do, sorry, you know what you the rules are. I didn't make the rules, I'm just reminding you of the- you know what, forget this.

This is so utterly stupid. I can't even pretend to give any ounce of credibility to this nonsense. Who in their right mind would like playing games?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
You have to ask your self one thing. And one thing only. Does someone on the internet hate this game? If they do, sorry, you know what you the rules are. I didn't make the rules, I'm just reminding you of the- you know what, forget this.

This is so utterly stupid. I can't even pretend to give any ounce of credibility to this nonsense. Who in their right mind would like playing games?

Hmm, you could be on to something here. Why, in fact, should anyone do anything?

Now that's a bad game

I can see why people wouldn't like it, but I did enjoy it. I don't love it, but eh, it's not as bad as all that.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I actually do read bad books on purpose to laugh at them.

Although recently I've been reading a lot of bad books not on purpose so it has lost some of its charms.

TrounceX

Chrono Cross > Chrono Trigger

FF13 > FF12

I dislike all Valve games, especially HL2, and am not too fond of Steam either.

Wow this is like the ultimate GAF troll post. I'm completely serious though.

edit: Actually L4D can be fun with friends, but that is it.

JimiNutz

Banned
Gears of War 3 has the best online multiplayer of any game... Ever.
It is like beautiful poetry in motion.

Modern 2D and 3D Mario games are boring, as are all 3D Zelda games.

Ashes

Banned
Chrono Cross > Chrono Trigger

FF13 > FF12

I dislike all Valve games, especially HL2, and am not too fond of Steam either.

Wow this is like the ultimate GAF troll post. I'm completely serious though.

O.)

Low blow. Now I can't see with my left eye. What did you type again?

I don't enjoy any 2D super mario brothers game. The jumping physics are annoying and finicky and the mechanics aren't very fun in general.

Thank you OP for finally giving me the chance to say this.

Resistance 1 & 2 are badly designed games, not games where there are good and bad parts, they are just bad. Controls are bad, enemy design & AI are bad, environments are bland and poorly designed. These games are just bad.

Uncharted series is ok, mostly because the controls are bad, the rest of the games are great.

Killzone is bad, story is terrible, controls suck. At least the graphics and the visual design are good.

Also every single Modern Warfare game is good, and their sales are proportional to their quality relative to the above titles.

smik

Bionic Commando was amazing, yes amazing and pure fun.

best swinging mechanics created, gutted there is going to be no sequel :(

bionic-commando-cover.jpg

I love my Gears and Uncharted's

but Army of Two: The 40th Day is greatly underrated (co-op campaign +) and i can easily go up againts GOW2 and UC1 sp offerings

12155937.jpg

i feel better now

TrounceX

O.)

Low blow. Now I can't see with my left eye. What did you type again?

I'll be more specific

CS - You die in one shot and the bullet spread is intolerable. I'd rather play CoD.

Half Life - completely average. Had to drag myself through both of them.

Portal - Makes me incredibly motion sick.

TF2 - Terrible art style, too casual, goofy game mechanics like spy's etc.

L4D - the only one that's kind of ok, but only with friends and in short bursts. Would be more fun if it wasn't a cakewalk even on the highest difficulty.

Ashes

Banned
I'll be more specific

CS - You die in one shot and the bullet spread is intolerable. I'd rather play CoD.

Half Life - completely average. Had to drag myself through both of them.

Portal - Makes me incredibly motion sick.

TF2 - Terrible art style, too casual, goofy game mechanics like spy's etc.

L4D - the only one that's kind of ok, but only with friends and in short bursts. Would be more fun if it wasn't a cakewalk even on the highest difficulty.

Fair enough. But let us get to the meat of the issue. Why don't you like what I like TrounceX?

NinjaBoiX

I can't stand the Uncharted games. I think they look dated, the animations and controls are clunky, especially the cover system, the characters are cheesy and cliche. They are just a set piece gaming experience, there is no innovation or depth.

GOTY my arse.
I agree that the gameplay ain't all that, particuarly U3, and the controls are clunky, and yes, the characters are cheesy, but "they look dated"? You may not like the art style or whatever, but tehnically speaking, they are pretty much cutting edge.

My imagination + text is 1000x better than any voice acting will ever be, and I despise that it's a standard now. 2D graphics are way more charming than 3D, though some developers do get very close. Random encounters are superior to chasing them around the map. Online gaming as a standard ruins about 30% of games released. HD graphics have almost destroyed this industry with its shift of development costs, we need to slow down. The PSP + DS were the best thing from this gen.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Super Meat Boy

Yes it's addictive. But it's not addictive like menthos, chocholate, sex or chips. It's addictive like heroin or cocaine - not the good kind of addictive.

etiolate

Banned
I am not sure if these are controversial, but they're harsh.

KOTOR was rather boring to play. The combat was a compromise between actiony fun and slow strategy, and ended up being neither.

SSX 3 was a major letdown after Tricky. The game was a victim of GTA hype. The track designs were not as good and the game tried to be "open" but was full of invisible walls and insta-death areas that the graphics made look like boardable parts of the course. Game would have been much better had it forgone the GTA influence.

Metal Gear Solid is a series that's better at creating hype than it is at creating excellent games. It's initial rise to notoriety comes from being pushed against Zelda OoT, as Sony's answer to that game both as an epic game and as a game releasing at the same time. Kojima is a master of hype, but a fool of a game designer. He's the James Cameron of gaming I guess you could say.

The "War on Terror" hurt Japanese game sales. I don't know why this observation pisses people off, but there was a turn away from the fantasy that is more common in Japanese games than in American games. At some point, people just started thinking western games were just being made better, but from what I had been playing, it simply wasn't true. GTA3 had crappy combat and controls, but it fit a market. I still enjoyed the gamey-ness of a lot of Japanese games and certainly preferred the polish they had that many western games lacked. Now, I prefer western releases, but mainly due to smaller devs and indie publishers, and because Japan did change over time. Initially though, they got swept by the rush for military games and realism. Wars help western game sales. Stuff like Desert Strike went away when the first Iraq war faded. It wasn't just a change in the developer of those games, because if it was a viable IP, some other dev would have picked it up. Western gaming profits off of war far more than Japanese gaming does.

Yagharek

Generally, these are topics that I find I'm at odds with the Zeitgeist on:

1. Online gaming is not fun. I don't enjoy it, it rarely enhances a game experience for me. There have also been very few new online experiences since XBox 1 days.

2. Smartphone/tablet gaming is completely uninteresting, and inaccurate control inputs will keep me away from it. I've played several demos, mainly on WP7, and they have all been rubbish (Katamari, GeoDefence, PacMan CE, some WW2 flying game). I see no future in the market apart from devaluing games in general.

3. I value quality built hardware, when there seems to be a general trend of indifference amongst many people to the shocking manufacture quality of XBox 360s in particular. On these grounds, I would personally rate 360 as the worst major console in the history of gaming. I also value QA'd software, and as such will never ever ever buy another Bethesda product.

4. I dislike the trend of cinematic 'experience' games with 'epic stories'. Games like Mass Effect, Red Dead/GTA, Halo, Uncharted etc do nothing for me any more.

5. I think "the Industry" comes across as anti-consumer, and seems to project a view that customers are an inconvenience. The Industry seems to make games for itself.

6. I think gaming in general would be better off without the existence of EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Microsoft, Take 2, Zenimax and Apple. There are small studios within those companies that are good, but the publishers are inherently anti-consumer, predatory, rubbish at QA and some of them like to steal games their customers buy.

7. Wii is Nintendo's best console, and the best console for gaming this generation. I base this on the access to retro games and some really interesting 3rd party gems which flew under the radar.

8. The shift to digital distribution alone will end my involvement as a customer. I will stick with old systems and carts if I must, in order to keep playing. I don't trust publishers.

9. The most valuable companies in the gaming world are those pushing original ideas. Companies or dev teams like Q Games (Pixeljunk), Intelligent Systems, Oddworld Inhabitants and the like are incredibly underappreciated in the wider gaming world.

10. The entire games media is a corrupt PR mouthpiece, infected with publisher interference and unable to be trusted for any objective coverage. The last six years bear witness to this, and the overwhelming influence the major industry players have in setting the public agenda. Debacles like RROD and PS3 Skyrim "reviews" demonstrate this most strongly.

11. Online passes must die.

daffy

Banned
oh yeah. That's true. I feel better already.

lol. These are serious matters daffy. This is no time for jokes.

:x

ok. On a serious note. I think arcades are for chumps... Sorry gaf its JUST how I feel! If you can't handle that why are you even here!

Fallout 3 and Oblivion were overrated to the point where once I finally got around to playing them I was pretty damn bored by both games.

Paper Mario>TTYD.

And Pokemon is an average jrpg series with a ridiculous following.

Carm

This is an easy one. I didn't like Resident Evil 4, and I'll never understand the love it gets. The series went downhill starting with it. Trying to marry action gameplay with horrible controls did not work, so I'm dumbfounded at the love it gets. The setting change was awful as well. I completed it on the Gamecube.

Even though it's bad, compared to the earlier games in the series, Resident Evil 5 is better than 4 for two reasons. One, it continues from where code veronica left off, Two, there is passable co-op. It still has an awful setting again, with nothing I would call a zombie.

sphinx

the piano man
.- Silent Hill Origins is on Par with whatever other Silent hill game you can come up with (and yes! that's including, SH1, SH2, SH3 AND SH4!)

I have always been of the opinion that however thinks otherwise either:

a) can't get over the first impact their first SH game had on them back in the day (aka: nostalgic feelings)
b) is a " Team Silent" fanboy (aka, "X Silent Hill game is an unpure, unworthy bastard which disgraces the family)

Top Bottom