• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Odrion

Banned
Polygon was right about everything regarding the PS4. I know we wanted them to be the villains after they seemingly trashed everything related to Sony, but hey - They were right about Knack and Shadowfall not being good, they were right to not notice the difference between the Xbone and PS4 versions of COD: Ghosts as their PS4 build was still 720p, they were right to knock the PS4's launch score down due to the lack of compelling software.

I know everyone wants to demonize them, but when you yell at them and they have more experience on the hardware and software and know you're wrong, it probably feeds their ego more than anything.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Polygon was right about everything regarding the PS4. I know we wanted them to be the villains after they seemingly trashed everything related to Sony, but hey - They were right about Knack and Shadowfall not being good, they were right to not notice the difference between the Xbone and PS4 versions of COD: Ghosts as their PS4 build was still 720p, they were right to knock the PS4's launch score down due to the lack of compelling software.

I know everyone wants to demonize them, but when you yell at them and they have more experience on the hardware and software and know you're wrong, it probably feeds their ego more than anything.
I thought it was the other way around. Was there anything even that good that came out for the One exclusively during launch?

My controversial statement about gaming:

Kingdom Hearts is overrated, and I couldn't care less about the franchise.

:/

Probably all my friends who wouldn't shut up about it ruined it for me, lol

I just can't see PC coufy cough game expading beyond the most hardcore PC gamers

As a hard core PC gamer I can never imagine going for comfy couch gaming. TVs are so vastly inferior to monitors with their input lag, resolutions and frame rates. Id rather spend money on a comfortable chair for my desk than pouring out thousands to get a TV that does gaming about as well as a $100 off brand monitor. If I ever spring for a console, it's going to be connected to my monitor.

Rapture

95% of video games are more immersive with the music turned off.

This is actually a really good one. Some of my favorite songs are off of game soundtracks but i have to agree. Walking around in a blizzard, in Skyrim, is way more immersive if all you can hear is the sound of the wind whipping by and your feet crunching in the snow.

Skyzard

Banned
Also another of mine:

Spelunky sucks.

It's a stupid fucking game that is based on cheap deaths and arbitrary bullshit. It has very little actual content. Designed lazily and for snobs that think tedium and excessive trial and error combined with luck is "real gaming".

I've played about 10 hours of it and as much I've tried to like it it's just a waste fucking time.

10 hours and you still think it's trial and error? Damn, got platforming skills?

I didn't like skyrim at all. I tried it on ps3 and 360 but each time I played it I could never get into it. Oh and Darksouls is better... Much better

fruiteater

Neo Member
-allmost every game in the FF series post VI is boring and dull (even the "master peice" called VII)
-GTA is the most overrated game franchise of ALL TIME, why it continous to sell in millions is beyond me,
- i dont get why FPS is so popular on consoles, they suck for FPS, I MEAN SUUUUUCK.
-Bulletstorm was probally the most inovative and entertaining FPS this gen, which says alot about how boring this gen has been for FPS:
-AC III and AC IV > all other AC and kenway family best assasins.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The Xbone stinking doesn't make the PS4 any better or worse.

But Dead Rising 3 is pretty good.
I had forgotten about those and was surprised somewhat to hear Killer Instinct received good reviews. I heard Killzone: Shadow Fall didn't live up to expectations, however. Launch means little, although. It's what is going to be offered in the future that counts but what got me about that post was the resolution thing. Everyone was saying that PS4 is superior when outputting games so I don't exactly know what this deal with with Call of Duty.

Gazoinks

I don't like the ATB system in Final Fantasy. A big part of why X is the only FF game I've beat is because it went pure turn-based.

jonnyp

I don't like Nintendo consoles or Nintendo games...

... but I'm glad many do because competition is good and they do bring different ideas which is always healthy.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't like Nintendo consoles or Nintendo games...

... but I'm glad many do because competition is good and they do bring different ideas which is always healthy.

I was actually searching for someone who thought this. I wanted to ask this question, genuinely:

What would you say it is about Nintendo games collectively that causes you to be disinterested in them all? What I mean is that given the startling diversity of games they have made, which have existed in virtually any genre you could imagine, what is the distinctive quality of a Nintendo developed game that gives you pause? What is it that links these games in your mind and thus limits their appeal for you as an individual?

RELIGHT

Banned
Oh wow how did I miss this? Pretty much ban bait as many folks are going for shock an awe with their "controversial opinions".

Amir0x

Banned
Oh wow how did I miss this? Pretty much ban bait as many folks are going for shock an awe with their "controversial opinions".

Why should it be ban bait to post an opinion, provided the individual explains it and justifies it, simply because said opinion is "controversial"?

GamerJM

Banned
Hm, a few:

The Sonic Adventure games are better than the Genesis games. The Genesis games were arcady platformers that were outclassed by Nintendo's SNES platformers at the time. The Adventure games are glitchy and chalk full of design issues but they're charming as hell and extremely varied in terms of gameplay.

Ocarina of Time is not overrated, and outclasses Zelda games like Wind Waker and all of the handheld games.

Super Mario 3D Land is better than 3D World.

Halo 1 is the worst in the series. The campaign is way too backtracky and the multiplayer feels primitive and underdeveloped.

The DS is the greatest platform ever.

M76

Banned
Consoles are a hindrance on technological progress of games, since all games have to be able to run on the current generation of consoles. Which means the same hardware for many years.

I don't know how is it possible to aim with a controller, since my first encounter with QuakeII on the psone.

I so wanted to try out the Burnout games that I almost bought a console just for that, but when Burnout Paradise came out for the PC I found out that it's everything I hate in a racing game.

Faith Connors is the worst VG protagonist ever, I couldn't even start enjoying the game I so hated her.

I like the elevator scenes in Mass Effect 1, sometimes I'd choose squad mates and go on elevator trips with them to find out who has what to say to each other.

I don't understand how did the Tomb Raider franchise get so big. The first few instalments were all right games at best, and they were so difficult I never could finish any of them.

FarCry is the best stealth FPS game ever made.

Mercenaries II: World in Flames is the best open world game, yes much better than any of the GTA games.

I think Steam, and Origin and similar systems are a blessing. No more swapping disks in the drive ever. Hell you don't even have to use the disk to install since the internet is faster than a dvd drive.

MLG are ruining multiplayer gaming for the majority of games. Halo 4 played great, IMO, until all the MLG players cried that it wasn't Halo 3 all over again. Then 343 hired some MLG guys and everything was changed / "rebalanced" so the Battle Rifle was still king as with prior games.

Also they added a bunch of levels in that were built with forge that cause the entire game to lag if playing split screen.

So they changed the game to appease the few and punish the masses. I'm sure people will argue otherwise, but I can't stand Halo 4 now and I loved it when it came out.

Also, similar things have happened in CoD, I believe, with weapon balancing.

Badgerst3

Hardly controversial, but fuck Kinect.

I refuse to consider a xbox one till there is a Kinectless sku.

My attachment rate to my ps4 grows daily.

M76

Banned
I forgot to mention that Bioshock Infinite is the most overrated game of 2013, it's a generic shooter at best, and the story and narrative was sacrificed to make way for the big twist ending. Longer explanation

RELIGHT

Banned
Why should it be ban bait to post an opinion, provided the individual explains it and justifies it, simply because said opinion is "controversial"?

It is in-direct/stealth ban bait and many are falling into the trap. Also some of these "controversial opinions" being posted aren't opinions but factual inaccuracies.

MormaPope

Banned
Final Fantasy XII is extremely boring and plodding, the "mature" war story is also told awkwardly. Vaan is the definition of manufactured, and the rest of the cast isn't that interesting either. The soundtrack was made for taking naps. Having put over 50 hours into the game and rarely having fun with the combat and not being interested in the lore at all has soured me on FFXII indefinitely.

Gestault

I think many people who "put their foot down" that games are what's important for next-gen systems didn't make their decision based on actual games so much as brand.

Final Fantasy XII is extremely boring and plodding, the "mature" war story is also told awkwardly. Vaan is the definition of manufactured, and the rest of the cast isn't that interesting either. The soundtrack was made for taking naps. Having put over 50 hours into the game and rarely having fun with the combat and not being interested in the lore at all has soured me on FFXII indefinitely.

These are very common complaints about FFXII.

Fyrion

These are very common complaints about FFXII.

Indeed, they are very common. A truly controversial one will be If someone think all the cast are memorable and the story is well told and has a good pace.

I think many people who "put their foot down" that games are what's important for next-gen systems didn't make their decision based on actual games so much as brand.

I think that people who people who say this dumb shit are pompous morons who don't actually like videogames, see how stupid that sounds?

Gestault

I think that people who people who say this dumb shit are pompous morons who don't actually like videogames, see how stupid that sounds?

I actually don't follow you, but it sounds like you disagree. If the choice for when/which system is based on the games, I hope you'd agree that the launch window is probably the worst timing for that. People choose brand because they've liked the range of experiences they've gotten in the past, even when there aren't a whole lot of specific titles known outside of the immediate launch window.

3bdelilah

Banned
I'm genuinely sorry if I offend some of you, but I think the whole jizzing about Dark Souls is because of the "hardcore" difficulty and nothing more (haven't played Demon's). Some people even talk about the lore... I mean, seriously? The lore is in my opinion almost non-existent. It's about an
un-dead
(not even a spoiler, but you can't be too sure) who walks a very, very linear little path (which ironically some call "an open world"?) with a shit load of backtracking to kill overpowered monsters. I... I don't know. I guess I expected it to be much more than it was for me.

Wensih

I've always thought Halo sucked. Hard. And I still played through the entire trilogy plus reach. I don't know what I was thinking.

Sorry dudes.

I thought that as well although I stopped myself from buying 3 and reach. I always go in with the mindset that maybe I was just imagining it. Everyone loves it. Maybe it'll be better this time....I've bought and played 1,2 and 4.... I'm thinking of going back and playing 3 and reach, but I just don't care enough for the campaign/story to waste my time with it.

Jagsrock

Banned
Besides the nice looking graphics I don't get the hype behind Infamous second son. IT looks fun but not really mind blowing in terms of gameplay shown so far.

cormack12

Gold Member
Besides the nice looking graphics I don't get the hype behind Infamous second son. IT looks fun but not really mind blowing in terms of gameplay shown so far.

Came in to post this. Probably because of the recent thread about it in fairness.

The sales drop between inFamous 2 and inFamous was almost 50% from the figures I've seen. But it doesn't have the strong numbers to fall back on, like say, God of War. It also hasn't hovered round it's first title launch numbers like Dark Souls (Sony consoles only) indicating a niche title.

Having played inFamous 2 when it was free on PS+, I was disappointed with the frequent technical problems (sticky walls etc.). There were some redeeming parts sure, but it never made me want another sequel.

Overall I'm surprised by the love for the game.........

Myriadis

Indeed, they are very common. A truly controversial one will be If someone think all the cast are memorable and the story is well told and has a good pace.

Then that's my controversal opinion. Final Fantasy XII has one of my favorite casts, I remember every one of them and their traits so they are memorable to me and the story might have a few pacing issues, but is a lot more enjoyable than most jRPG stories I played, mainly because it doesn't shove everything down your throat.

And I really like Assassins Creed 3 so far (Chapter 6 now). It had some bad sections, like most of chapter 2, but all in all I enjoy playing it and roaming through the areas.

Amir0x

Banned
It is in-direct/stealth ban bait and many are falling into the trap. Also some of these "controversial opinions" being posted aren't opinions but factual inaccuracies.

I just think that if you feel this way, the best way to help the conversation would be to highlight a post you think is a 'factual inaccuracy', and then allow us to see what you mean. I mean this thread has been going on since early 2012, and an endless amount of people have shared their 'controversial' opinions with detail and have yet to be banned for it... so I'm unsure if those sorts of bans are any different than what you'd get anywhere else for not justifying ones own opinions :p

Like 60% of my opinions seem to be controversial, but that's because I prefer to participate in conversations where people don't agree with my point of view, so that I can learn from them. I tend not to learn as much from people who just agree with me all the time, as much as we share similar tastes :)

Exr

I'm genuinely sorry if I offend some of you, but I think the whole jizzing about Dark Souls is because of the "hardcore" difficulty and nothing more (haven't played Demon's). Some people even talk about the lore... I mean, seriously? The lore is in my opinion almost non-existent. It's about an
un-dead
(not even a spoiler, but you can't be too sure) who walks a very, very linear little path (which ironically some call "an open world"?) with a shit load of backtracking to kill overpowered monsters. I... I don't know. I guess I expected it to be much more than it was for me.
Im no all star at games and I beat DkS and Demons Souls multiple times while spending a lot of time doing PvP. Theres a ton of lore too, its not opinion. The game doesnt explore the lore very transparently but its there if you are inclined to look.

spekkeh

Banned
PS4 and Xbone controllers are weaker for not having a touchscreen like the Wii U Gamepad.

Of course they're also cheaper which means the world is actually wrong.

I have a few of these I think - most are Final Fantasy related.

I'm a big Devil May Cry fan, and I absolutely loved DmC and the new Dante.

FFVIII has always been my favourite FF, I think Squall is an excellent protagonist and one of the few that actually develops a lot throughout the course of the game.

The only Zelda game I was able to get into was Skyward Sword.

FFX-2 was an excellent game with a fun battle system.The only thing I didn't like about it was the relationship between
Wakka and Lulu - that was a tad incestuous

I really like the FFXIII series and am looking forward to Lightning Returns.

Top Bottom