• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

zroid

Banned
With all the recent Wii U posts, I feel like it has been cemented in my mind that the most obnoxious fans in the entire gaming community are Nintendo fans. I can take MS shills, Playstation defenders and PC Master Race-ers. I cannot take the incessant Nintendo stuff anymore.

Sorry.
Not sorry.

What are you referring to?

oh here's one that's recent:

STEAM IS JUST AS BAD AS ANY OTHER DRM LADEN SERVICE WITH THE ONLY BENEFIT IS GOOD REPUTATION FROM YEARS BEFORE.

GFWL WASN'T AS BAD AS PEOPLE MADE IT OUT TO BE

the street fighter 4 online issues and the fact steam went down one day and i couldn't play offline games because steam logged me out of my account during the crash made me aware of its drawbacks. Not even offline mode was working.

GFWL had consistency and keep up with friends was fast and convinient. Steam has the same, but the UI is cluttered, cumbersome sometimes, and the fact people can change screen names at will is a double-edged sword.

Whenever i have a choice i will now prioritize drm-free>steam>other version

Agree 100%. Steam is overrated and god forbid you ever have to deal with their
horrible
customer service.

RickGhastly

Neo Member
With all the recent Wii U posts, I feel like it has been cemented in my mind that the most obnoxious fans in the entire gaming community are Nintendo fans. I can take MS shills, Playstation defenders and PC Master Race-ers. I cannot take the incessant Nintendo stuff anymore.

Sorry.
Not sorry.

I've bought every Nintendo system since 1989 (yes, even the Virtual Boy at launch) and I agree with this. A lot of MS and Sony fans traditionally play the teenage angst, "Nintendo is for kids" angle but Nintendo fans can be just weird and almost religious about things on a completely different level. It's been that way for decades. Even in the Dreamcast era, Nintendo hardliners were just sorta creepy to me in a way that no one else was.

I guess that's my controversial opinion as well.

zroid

Banned
The Reggie, Nintendo Perception, Xenoblade Chronicles X and "Apathy" threads come to mind, and that was just yesterday alone really.

Here's my
not so
controversial opinion: there are a lot of obnoxious and stupid people on the Internet. There are also a lot of nice and reasonable people. Looking for a correlation between the types of games people like and their personality is pretty obnoxious in of itself. You can be a fan of any types of video games, it doesn't really affect the type of person you are.

Hopefully you agree.

Here's my
not so
controversial opinion: there are a lot of obnoxious and stupid people on the Internet. There are also a lot of nice and reasonable people. Looking for a correlation between the types of games people like and their personality is pretty obnoxious in of itself. You can be a fan of any types of video games, it doesn't really affect the type of person you are.

Hopefully you agree.
I don't really, hence why I am posting in the "controversial thread." Yes, every fanbase has it's obnoxious fans. Hence my sneer at "MS shills, Playstation defenders and PC Master Race-ers," all of whom annoy me. It is my honest opinion however, based on personal observation, that there are more of such obnoxious fans among the Nintendo fanbase. As RickGhastly mentioned, there seems to be a particularly egregious type of weirdness and nearly religious fever among that fanbase. I'm not sure if that's some kind of underdog complex, a bitterness over the Wii U's commercial failure, or what, but it's what I see floating around. It's detrimental to Nintendo quite frankly, because nearly every thread I go into about Nintendo becomes a circlejerk over how great Nintendo is, and then the reactionary jerk over how terrible Nintendo's business sense is.

Cc23830

TLOU remastered was boring. It was repetitive and the only reason I finished it was fellow gaffers who pointed out that the point I was at was a whisker away from the end.

Murtrod

I think Spec Ops: The Line is overhyped trash. Double Whammy! I think Mass Effect turned to shit after ME1.

1. I thought it was a great experience plot wise, but the gameplay is garbage. Worth it, but painful.

2. ME1 god tier, but ME3 wasn't that bad. I really enjoyed it personally. Decent cast, fun and stable gameplay, and minus the ending, the story was entertaining.

ME2... That game... Much hatred... I can't even fathom why people preferred it to the other two.

bobawesome

I don't really, hence why I am posting in the "controversial thread." Yes, every fanbase has it's obnoxious fans. Hence my sneer at "MS shills, Playstation defenders and PC Master Race-ers," all of whom annoy me. It is my honest opinion however, based on personal observation, that there are more of such obnoxious fans among the Nintendo fanbase. As RickGhastly mentioned, there seems to be a particularly egregious type of weirdness and nearly religious fever among that fanbase. I'm not sure if that's some kind of underdog complex, a bitterness over the Wii U's commercial failure, or what, but it's what I see floating around. It's detrimental to Nintendo quite frankly, because nearly every thread I go into about Nintendo becomes a circlejerk over how great Nintendo is, and then the reactionary jerk over how terrible Nintendo's business sense is.

Great post and I agree wholeheartedly. I'm a fan of some things Nintendo has done myself but oh, man...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My opinion:
Bayonetta is the absolute stupidest piece of crap for a game and I'll never understand GAFs obsession with it.

Quite frankly I feel this way about anything made by Platinum games.

RickGhastly

Neo Member
I love when this thread is about how much worse some people are than you.

This entire thread is:
74122-silently-judging-you-gif-tom-c-0xIe.gif

God forbid you see the tip of the iceberg.

Spot on.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The biggest problem with the Nintendo fanbase isn't how good or bad its aggregate attitude is, but its size. Platforms with a wider audience naturally drown out the most vocal fans and surround and isolate their enclaves. Due to the relative niche status of Nintendo since the end of the 16-bit era, Nintendo fans have increasingly lived in an echo chamber populated mostly by themselves.

To be blunt any group or community experiences a kind of recursive insanity when it feels isolated and persecuted. During the fallout from the Xbox One reveal and crazy Playstation 4 launch fever, Microsoft fans really got nuts for a long stretch of months, pumping out some of the dumbest stuff I've ever seen in gaming.

The difference in that example is that the Xbox One remains more mainstream (in terms of core gaming) and the fans who lost their marbles eventually became white noise amid the average user just playing games.

I know this is comparing relative levels of shit, but:

Tiny Tina, Ellie, and Mr. Torque are the best character in the Borderlands universe.

Mordecai, Angel, and Claptrap are the worst.

I've played through Aliens: Colonial Marines multiple times and very rarely saw a bug, definitely nothing game breaking. It was quite fun single player and multiplayer.

See, I had the same experience with another allegedly crappy game, Enter the Matrix. Played through it some three or four times and, aside from the awful ladder climbing animations, never encountered a single bug or problem. Actually quite enjoyed it.

So reading this gives me a little hope. What platform did you play it on? Is the game worth the nine bucks it runs for used at Gamestop? I fear that a rational response is going to be a rarity here, as everyone runs by this "shit or brilliant" grading scale. I'll trust you on this.

I've been hankering for some Aliens stuff, and Isolation is still a bit too pricey for what I've seen of it.

Don't act like you're above it all.

That was a thread specifically asking why everyone loves that game and constantly talking about it but that person couldn't get interested in it. It's not just empty air where someone feels the need to fill it with "YO YOU'RE PRETTY SHIT OKAY GLAD WE GOT THAT SETTLED"

But ignoring context is fine, too.

The biggest problem with the Nintendo fanbase isn't how good or bad its aggregate attitude is, but its size. Platforms with a wider audience naturally drown out the most vocal fans and surround and isolate their enclaves. Due to the relative niche status of Nintendo since the end of the 16-bit era, Nintendo fans have increasingly lived in an echo chamber populated mostly by themselves.

To be blunt any group or community experiences a kind of recursive insanity when it feels isolated and persecuted. During the fallout from the Xbox One reveal and crazy Playstation 4 launch fever, Microsoft fans really got nuts for a long stretch of months, pumping out some of the dumbest stuff I've ever seen in gaming.

The difference in that example is that the Xbox One remains more mainstream (in terms of core gaming) and the fans who lost their marbles eventually became white noise amid the average user just playing games.
That's a pretty reasonable explanation of what's happened.

Elitist1945

Not sure how controversial this is, but, I think the driving in Halo is complete ass. You'll hit a small bump and the vehicle will literally just flip over, sometimes killing you.

Not sure how controversial this is, but, I think the driving in Halo is complete ass. You'll hit a small bump and the vehicle will literally just flip over, sometimes killing you.

Depends which Halo you've played, and which vehicle. Halo 2's physics feel quite awkward to me when jumping the Warthog, because it feel like it has low bumpers and gets snagged/flipped from any landing that isn't flat. You should try Halo 1's floaty, bouncy Warthog, that thing could probably absorb an explosion.

EDIT:
The ps4 and xbone both have better holiday game lineups then the wiiu.

It's gonna be a slaughter for November and December npds.

The only thing controversial about this is that you think it's controversial. Their lineups being better has always been the case.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
liked COD: Ghosts (but think its still one of the weakest campaigns, so I guess it not that controversial) and Ryse

and currently am enjoying Thief (the 2014 one) quite a bit, and that one IS controversial. I also liked Dragon Age 2, but I think I already said that one earlier in the thread

Elitist1945

Depends which Halo you've played, and which vehicle. Halo 2's physics feel quite awkward to me when jumping the Warthog, because it feel like it has low bumpers and gets snagged/flipped from any landing that isn't flat. You should try Halo 1's floaty, bouncy Warthog, that thing could probably absorb an explosion.

Halo 1 is exactly what I was basing my comment off of. As of current, its the only Halo I've beat, so not sure if the vehicles improve over the games, or decline.

I don't know how anyone can like any game made by Bethesda. The story is forgettable, the gameplay is awful and the performance and polish are embarrassing. It's always up to the mod community to fix Bethesda's shit.

gotoadgo

I don't know how anyone can like any game made by Bethesda. The story is forgettable, the gameplay is awful and the performance and polish are embarrassing. It's always up to the mod community to fix Bethesda's shit.
Preach it brother, I never touch their games due to how broken they are.

Halo 1 is exactly what I was basing my comment off of. As of current, its the only Halo I've beat, so not sure if the vehicles improve over the games, or decline.

Well it depends which you want, if harder suspension is better then the later games you might like. The Warthog is much more rigid in Halo 3 for example.

Nemmy

B-but the FEEL of living in a different world..!

I can't stand them either

@Wreck

music?

I love the music and the world

(the broken stuff is bad though lol)

dirrty-harry1

Neo Member
Brilliant thread!

My controversial opinions:
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum (atmosphere!) > Arkham Origins (very entertaining side missions) > Arkham City (not bad at all but not as good as the others)
  • I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid 4 much more than MGS3 (non Subsistence), because it was the first MGS game with acceptable controls for me (free camera movement)
  • Rage was easily the best first person shooter I've ever played on a console
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss had the best gameplay of all Uncharted games
  • Sony Dual Shock 3 > Xbox 360 Controller because D-Pad and asymmetric analog sticks
  • The last good Gran Turismo was GT4
  • I don't understand the success of the Halo Series, just another shooter for me

dog$

Hates quality gaming
In general, the generation of people who have started playing games from now until approximately five years ago will grow up to have a more objective appreciation and understanding of video games than people born between 1985 through 1995.

Aaron D.

"Gameplay > All" is an outdated philosophy kept alive by narrow-minded luddites ignorant to the full pallet of game design theories and their successful applications.

-Horizon-

Monster Monpiece is actually one of the best games I've played this year. Including the rubbing. I find it hilarious as heck.
*nosebleeds*

In general, the generation of people who have started playing games from now until approximately five years ago will grow up to have a more objective appreciation and understanding of video games than people born between 1985 through 1995.
"Gameplay > All" is an outdated philosophy kept alive by narrow-minded luddites ignorant to the full pallet of game design theories and their successful applications.
To many extents, I think these opinions mesh together very well and I think they're both extremely on point.

FFP2

I've played every Halo except 1 and ODST and I hate all of them except Reach. And the vehicles control like shit in all of them.

Top Bottom