• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

bobawesome

I don't believe the Wii U is anywhere close to being a must-have console. I couldn't care less about Platinum's output and Smash Bros. gets tiresome quickly. At least it has 3D World.

Nintendo fans can't/don't want to like games that are not Nintendo related.

I understand where you're coming and agree that a lot of Nintendo fans are quick to dismiss anything not made by Nintendo.

Majora's Mask was a weird, boring, bad game and re-releasing it is a (financially) bad decision.

Gerstmann, is that you?

jeemer

* bungie make games that would have had very little fanfare on pc. many people have a sentimental attachment to bungie solely because they associate their first online gaming memories with them. no one i know who is a bungie fan was into pc online gaming (or particularly fps) before halo dropped, halo was their first taste of online fps. i'm not saying they're all bad games, but i'm yet to be particularly impressed by one of them.

* i'd rather a game was fantastically written or really unique and suffered from an issue (ie framerate drops in sections) than one that's 4k/120fps and soulless.

* on that note - having an issue with a game doesn't make it a bad game. sometimes issues slip through the net, and sometimes they never get patched out. people writing off games because of an issue with fov, minor framerate problems, dodgy camera etc are super entitled. people are so quick to slate games nowadays that really aren't that bad, because they're so used to easy access to games with massive budgets / comfortable timescales.

if you are the type of person who is seriously irritated by any fault in a game, no matter how minor it is, then recognise that fact and wait for feedback on all aspects of the game before you make a purchase. don't be that guy who preorders a game months in advance, avoids media so they don't see spoilers, and then bitches repeatedly about one issue completely "destroying" your ability to enjoy the game. i hate that i can't invert in wind waker hd, but i'm just gonna deal.

* i've just bought a wii u and im getting smash. it looks great, but the smash series aren't "fighting games". this is a worn out debate but the way i look at it personally is that my definition of a fighting game is when two players fight head to head until they lose all of their life. smash can be up to 8 players fighting to knock each other out of an arena? i'd be more likely to call punch out a fighting game. it's easy to argue it's a fighting game semantically, as it's definitely a combat oriented game which can be head to head, but then a number of other genres become fighting games too. it absolutely belongs in competitions like EVO due to its atmosphere, but it should have it's own wanky genre title like multiplayer arena based beatemout.

thebloo

I loved Too Human, I played it online for hours a night with some random dude I met in the game from Houston. Probably one of my favorite video game memories.

And I don't care if you hated the game.

There I said it.

(Also this post is awesome)

High five! I played it with a friend. Five/six times a year I remember the game and wish someone would make a sequel.

TI82

Banned
I don't believe the Wii U is anywhere close to being a must-have console. I couldn't care less about Platinum's output and Smash Bros. gets tiresome quickly. At least it has 3D World.

I understand where you're coming and agree that a lot of Nintendo fans are quick to dismiss anything not made by Nintendo.

Pretty much agree with this post except even 3D World was shit. Who makes run and grab the same button in a multiplayer game, AND have a timer? Whats with having lives still in 2014?

Rayman Origins/Legends are better multiplayer platformers by far.

Maximo

I really didnt like Mario 3D Land. For a 3D Mario it is probably the most boring and "Basic" Mario game I have ever played.

I'm not sure how controversial this opinion is seeing as the game is mostly praised by a small segment of a large passionate enthusiast fan base, but I really feel as though Majora's Mask is one of the weakest experiences in the LoZ series.

The game's dark twisted narrative/thematic/artistic elements are so potent and the NPC/Player dynamics are impeccable (it all feels so intimate and alive), but once the Zelda-y gameplay elements start to kick in the whole experience begins to lose it's charm for me; I start to realize that it's an incredibly rushed game that would have been better off if it was a new IP that spent a little more time in the oven.
Dungeons like WoodFall Temple, Snow Head, and Great Bay Temple (3 of the games 4 dungeons) all feel like afterthoughts in terms of the dynamics they created; none of them even came close to being as intricate, well-crafted, and rewarding as the "Reuniting Kafei and Anju" quest or any of the adult dungeons from OoT. EAD really should have just focused on Termina becuase that was where the real fun, mystery, and excitement was.
It's also incredibly disappointing that they didn't do a very good job of utilizing the voluntary shapeshifting mechanics; they created a few interesting dynamics here and there (like the boss battle with Goht), but most of the time the Mask were completely outdone my Link's own mechanics and items.
It's almost as if the mask were an afterthought from a gameplay point of view; most of them (even the main ones) are kind of useless in comparison to the traditional power ups (like the arrows and hookshot)

Again, the game's unique "non-Zelda-y" elements are fantastic but it should have been a new IP; it's willingness to adhere to the trappings of it's brand hinder it's quality.

Dinjooh

I bought a Wii U for Mario Party.

BEKvLJV.gif

Tenebrous

A Link Between Worlds is better than Ocarina of Time... Hell, 2D Zelda games in general are more enjoyable than their 3D counterparts.

I better hold that shield high >.>

braves01

Banned
Majora's Mask was a weird, boring, bad game and re-releasing it is a (financially) bad decision.

We'll see about this part of your opinion. I don't know about how ocarina 3D sold, but I suspect Nintendo will ultimately make enough from MM to justify the re-release.

Games like Wasteland 2 and Divinity OS are well loved for bringing back the classic style CRPG, but they are a fucking chore to play at times, or most of the time. I give props to Wasteland 2 for having an interesting story and feel, but the gameplay is a step back, with horrible balance, and a skill system that comes across as convoluted and tedious.

Divinity OS puts an enjoyable combat system on top of an aimless, generic game. The hardcore say they love how vague everything is... "no handholding", but wandering around clueless most of the time isn't a positive. You have to read the journal in Baldur's Gate to remember what the hell you were doing, but at least there was a reason for doing it. Planescape Torment had tons of side quests and ways to approach everything, but it made sense. It was fun roleplaying. I never felt like, "where the hell do I go next, and why should I care?"

Asbear

Banned
Naughty Dog are only good at storytelling but fail at everything else, but Uncharted 4 seems like it's going to just flat out suck.

Uncharted 4 doesn't look like anything special and the premise sounds so cheap. Yeah, okay, so now Drake has a contrived brother just to set up a new plot that is personal.

Sounds like a typical 4th entry after a trilogy like In movies like Pirates of the Caribbean. It's going to be underwhelming storywise.

Hiltz

* i've just bought a wii u and im getting smash. it looks great, but the smash series aren't "fighting games". this is a worn out debate but the way i look at it personally is that my definition of a fighting game is when two players fight head to head until they lose all of their life. smash can be up to 8 players fighting to knock each other out of an arena? i'd be more likely to call punch out a fighting game. it's easy to argue it's a fighting game semantically, as it's definitely a combat oriented game which can be head to head, but then a number of other genres become fighting games too. it absolutely belongs in competitions like EVO due to its atmosphere, but it should have it's own wanky genre title like multiplayer arena based beatemout.

For what it's worth, here's Masahiro Sakurai's defintion of what Smash Bros is:

I think the idea of the fighting game genre can be somewhat limiting. People have defined in their own minds what constitutes a fighting game, and that can be such a specific set of characteristics that when other people are viewing a game from the outside and they learn it's a fighting game, they may predetermine it's not for them simply because of what they expect from it as a fighting game.

When planning the development of a new game, I always take a lot of care to discuss the concept and try to define it as best I can. For example, I like to think of Smash as a four-player battle royal action game. You'll notice that's a lot longer than saying it's a fighting game, because 'fighting game' is a completely different label. You can talk about a fighting game or an action game or a racing game, but as soon as you define your game specifically in those terms, you start limiting your creative range because you're thinking of the limitations of that genre. Perhaps the best thing we can do now is start with a concept rather than a genre. If we can do that, perhaps we can grow the whole idea a little bit.

Ceravic

I enjoyed FFXIII way more than FFXII. I actually prefer every mainline entry to the series over FFXII, except for FFII.

Also, I was totally fine with all of Mass Effect 3. I was completely satisfied with the ending and love the whole trilogy.

*Splinter

Nintendo are frustratingly bad, and their fans of the last decade have been missing out on new gaming experiences.

Pleasantly surprised to see that the first few posts in this thread were positive. Did not expect that.

TI82

Banned
Nintendo are frustratingly bad, and their fans of the last decade have been missing out on new gaming experiences.

People who are fans of Nintendo aren't only limited to Nintendo. But yes, fanboys of them are probably the worst fanboy group in the industry.

Ceravic

Who actually only sticks to one company exclusively these days? Too many experiences to miss by being a fanboy (and Nintendo is my favorite of the three companies).

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Most people who complain about camera or controls in games, especially older ones, are just generally bad at videogames. They might be good at certain games, maybe even great, but don't have the necessary motor skills to adapt to something different.

I'm no longer a big fan of the series, but people who complained about Call of Duty killstreaks and being shot constantly from the back in games like Modern Warfare 2 are also bad at videogames. They lack basic situational awareness and can't understand how the game gives you plenty of tools and counters to mitigate failure. It is actually very easy to consistently win in CoD.

*Splinter

People who are fans of Nintendo aren't only limited to Nintendo. But yes, fanboys of them are probably the worst fanboy group in the industry.

Who actually only sticks to one company exclusively these days? Too many experiences to miss by being a fanboy (and Nintendo is my favorite of the three companies).
Yeah I guess I meant fanboys. And of course I am generalising anyway.

Gastone

I found Bayonetta 2 to be very underwhelming and disappointing. Also, Loki has to be the most annoying character i have ever seen in a game, not to mention the horrendous voice acting.

Hiltz

I can understand where you're coming from in terms of what Nintendo home consoles generally have missed out on in relation to third party AAA software, but it's not like Nintendo platforms don't provide their own share of new gaming experiences that third parties and/or Nintendo itself has published and/or developed on platforms like DS, Wii, Wii U and 3DS. With that said, even Shigeru Miyamoto admitted Pikmin was the last big original core-based IP Nintendo's in-house Japanese teams have developed. Of course, Nintendo's changing that with upcoming original projects this year it is developing with Code name Steam and Splatoon. Also, they've had their own external studios like Monolith Soft create new IPs back in the last generation along with other developer projects that resulted in spin-off titles which in one way, are new gaming experiences despite their use of existing game characters.

I probably already posted here, but I'll say it again if I already did. I'd rather play a F2P mobile game than a shooter, after the last generation I did nothing but despise and loathe them. (Vanquish is cool though.)

Most people who complain about camera or controls in games, especially older ones, are just generally bad at videogames. They might be good at certain games, maybe even great, but don't have the necessary motor skills to adapt to something different.

Also this.

I'm no longer a big fan of the series, but people who complained about Call of Duty killstreaks and being shot constantly from the back in games like Modern Warfare 2 are also bad at videogames. They lack basic situational awareness and can't understand how the game gives you plenty of tools and counters to mitigate failure. It is actually very easy to consistently win in CoD.

To be fair, there are ugly camera and control-work that either COULD be implemented due to technology making it able or the technique not being discovered yet. Cameras that flake out in tight quarters or during precise movement do no one no good.

Scrabble

I'm a few hours into FFXIII and I like it so far. I'll admit it's mostly because of how fucking beautiful the game is, and the soundtrack being incredible. And I like Lightning, so far I don't understand all the hate.

Dinjooh

I'm a few hours into FFXIII and I like it so far. I'll admit it's mostly because of how fucking beautiful the game is, and the soundtrack being incredible. And I like Lightning, so far I don't understand all the hate.

Don't know how far you are, so I won't spoil the areas for you, but Lake Bresha and Gapra Whitewood are still some of the most beautiful gaming environments I've seen.

Heck, looking back - most of the environments are drop dead gorgeous. A shame that one of those I liked the least was the one you end up spending the most time in.

gelf

It's not even that they are nessarily bad its that they don't want to even try and take a short amount of time to adapt to something different. It's an instant gratification thing of "this doesn't control like every other game I play so it sucks."

Whereas for me part of the fun of a new game is mastering the controls so it's kinda boring if they all feel the same.

I dislike reading large amounts of text games that just "text dump" story/dialogue without descriptive text. I love reading itself though, for my whole life I've always been reading a book just as I've always been playing a game so reading is one of my favourite past times.

If your RPG is mostly read (i.e no voice acting/narration), then it NEEDS descriptive text. Pillars of Eternity is a great recent example of getting it right, between what the person says in dialogue, there is descriptive text such as "he looks at you anxiously yet his eyes are calculating and deceptive ... ". It adds so much because it "reads like a book", if you just give the dialogue direct it feels really flat and "disconnected".

Either voice act/narrate it at all or learn how to write because otherwise just reading dialogue text dumps is boring

Edit: I updated it with more thoughts

TomShoe

Banned
The sooner people stop wasting their time and money on Xbox the better. Their studios make some great games, but Xbox as a company is holding back gaming as a whole with their anti consumer policies (we could have had cross platform play and more indies on console by now), as well as their original vision for gaming, a vision they admitted they still haven't given up on. I hope one day Microsoft leaves the console space and gets replaced by someone like Google or Amazon.

Assassin's Creed has always been a pile of garbage.

Arkham city is ugly as fuck. The city looks like it was designed by people on acid.

Vita has a joke lineup (nothing but weird rpgs and creepy ass japanese games), monster hunter clones and ports.

Uncharted 1 > Uncharted 3

I get annoyed when people bitch about which pov you should have in survival horror. Recent example being Silent Hills. First person is great and all, but I wish people would stfu and stop trying to make Silent Hill first person.

I feel that most people who prefer first person in survival horror never played the classics and played Outlast/Amnesia and think they're Survival Horror hotshit.

*Raises purple flameshield*

UCBooties

Don't know how far you are, so I won't spoil the areas for you, but Lake Bresha and Gapra Whitewood are still some of the most beautiful gaming environments I've seen.

Heck, looking back - most of the environments are drop dead gorgeous. A shame that one of those I liked the least was the one you end up spending the most time in.

Holy Crap, you are right about that. Though when you get to
Gran Pulse
there are some spectacular views.

This will be good

• I liked Naughty Dog better when they did platformers.
  • EA did not deserve any worst company awards
  • AC Unity was a big step forward for the series, performance issues aside
  • Steam basically having a monopoly on the PC market is bad
  • The Witcher 2 is much worse than The Witcher 1, almost as much as DA2 was to DAO
  • Mass Effect 3's ending was shit but it was still a good game
  • I see no point to ever buy a TES or Fallout on consoles, they are broken and after Morrowind shallow games w/o mods, I'm a consolero
  • Souls games aren't difficult
  • From Software is stupid for handing over the rights of Bloodborne to Sony and are shunning a big part of the fanbase they build with the Dark Souls game
  • I didn't buy a Vita for Indies
  • I don't like the Wii U's gamepad and am unwilling to buy a U till Nintendo sells a SKU and makes the Wii U operable w/o it
  • I liked Sleeping Dogs more than GTA V
  • I do not like my 3DS' 2nd screen
  • Smogon is fine
  • The quality of JRPGs is getting worse and worse particularly the stories

Tenebrous

There's been no worthwhile 2D Mario game since the 90s, but the 3D games are some of the greatest of all time.

The Dragon Age franchise is little more than average.

Shovel Knight is better than anything released on the X1/PS4 in 2014.

The 3DS & XL are two of the most uncomfortable handhelds of all time.

The PSP is still the greatest handheld of its time in terms of specs.

The PS Vita is the greatest handheld gaming device ever made in terms of design.

Phediuk

The Wii U is an absurdly overrated console, and the claims of it being better than the PS4 and Xbox One are laughable unless you insist on arbitrarily excluding every non-exclusive game on those platforms, even the ones that aren't on Wii U (i.e. almost all of them.) This is done all the time on GAF to skew the picture in Nintendo's favor.

Steel

Banned
There's been no worthwhile 2D Mario game since the 90s, but the 3D games are some of the greatest of all time.

The Dragon Age franchise is little more than average.

Shovel Knight is better than anything released on the X1/PS4 in 2014.

The 3DS & XL are two of the most uncomfortable handhelds of all time.

The PSP is still the greatest handheld of its time in terms of specs.

The PS Vita is the greatest handheld gaming device ever made in terms of design.

This post is one of the least controversial in the entire thread.

After spending time with Shovel Knight, I am still nonplussed. It seems to be akin to going into a room and having someone scream at you "HEY, YOU REMEMBER MEGAMAN AND DUCK TALES?!?!? HUH?!?" repeatedly for 35 minutes a pop.

Top Bottom