• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I like Team Chaotix 10x more than Sonic or any of his other primary colored friends. Sonic Heroes was one of the best games of the 3D generation during the PS2/GC/XBOX era for reintroducing them.

Espio's cool in an edgy way, and Vector is okay, but Charmy the Bee is one of the most irritating Sonic friends in the entire franchise.

LordRaptor

I guess if all you're into is AAA you'd have a point, but indies & mid-tier on PC & mobile have made this the best gen to date (and I've been there since 2600).

I specifically referred to consoles; I'm a longterm and primarily PC gamer.
Its the worst fucking console generation ever. I've had nothing tempting me to get an XB1 or PS4, and with their half gen upgrades incoming its looking pretty likely that I never will.

Beth Cyra

I hope Konami brings on new peeps for MGS as I haven't liked a Kojima game since 2 but I loved all three spin offs I played.

I don't think DS3 is more then an 8 but I easily enjoyed it more then DS1 and 2 and maybe even more than Blood borne.

Love the direction of the VII remake, I got VII and I don't need the exact same game with better graphics. Bring on the new battles and story bits Nomura.

I hate the word "Content" and hate the people who use it to claim that games that don't have huge amounts of repetitive tasks or bloat to their design aren't worth $60 or worth being made in the first place.

It's been very destructive to the industry, everyone expecting every game to be the witcher or grand theft auto. Every one wants some shallow experience that gives them 40-100 hours of busy work "content" but they won't buy a tightly designed 5 hour game that can be replayed and discover new things and mastered, or a game that has deep online competitive mechanics.

It's utterly stupid and I get really annoyed by people who think that having to be smart or learn something when playing some games is a bad design choice.

Aaron D.

I specifically referred to consoles; I'm a longterm and primarily PC gamer.
Its the worst fucking console generation ever. I've had nothing tempting me to get an XB1 or PS4, and with their half gen upgrades incoming its looking pretty likely that I never will.

That's fair.

I actually agree with you in that context, even though I still think it's the best time ever to be a gamer.

Gaz_RB

Nioh is super janky and a cheap knockoff of DS.
I hate the word "Content" and hate the people who use it to claim that games that don't have huge amounts of repetitive tasks or bloat to their design aren't worth $60 or worth being made in the first place.

It's been very destructive to the industry, everyone expecting every game to be the witcher or grand theft auto. Every one wants some shallow experience that gives them 40-100 hours of busy work "content" but they won't buy a tightly designed 5 hour game that can be replayed and discover new things and mastered, or a game that has deep online competitive mechanics.

It's utterly stupid and I get really annoyed by people who think that having to be smart or learn something when playing some games is a bad design choice.

I feel your pain bro.

Lux R7

Some games are better without music. Not because the music is bad, but because I think a game without music can pull me deeper in the game.

Games you should try out without music:

The Witcher 3,
Fallout 4,
The Division.

I play dark souls and dragon's dogma without music for the same reason (starting from the second playthrough)

Some games are better without music. Not because the music is bad, but because I think a game without music can pull me deeper in the game.

Games you should try out without music:

The Witcher 3,
Fallout 4,
The Division.

I agree with this. I turn off the music in 99% of games I play not because it's bad, but because I find it makes the experience more immersive.

And this IS a controversial opinion. I made a post about this a year ago or so, and people lost their fucking minds. Couldn't comprehend how turning off music could make a game more immersive.

Cropduster89

Neo Member
Farcry 2 is the best in the series.

3 & 4 are so easy that right from the start the gameplay boils down to "clean these pesky icons off the map", the hunting system is ridiculous, the item collecting is the worst type of carrot on a stick pointlessness and adds nothing to the game, and the storyline which they ram down your throat is a dull slog written with enough sheer smugness to choke a whale.

2 had none of the busywork, and for all it's flaws it was a beautiful chaotic romp through the savanna that wasn't afraid to smack you in the face.

"But check points respawn every time!" they said. God forbid there be plenty of people to shoot in my fps.

Bl@de

Farcry 2 is the best in the series.

3 & 4 are so easy that right from the start the gameplay boils down to "clean these pesky icons off the map", the hunting system is ridiculous, the item collecting is the worst type of carrot on a stick pointlessness and adds nothing to the game, and the storyline which they ram down your throat is a dull slog written with enough sheer smugness to choke a whale.

2 had none of the busywork, and for all it's flaws it was a beautiful chaotic romp through the savanna that wasn't afraid to smack you in the face.

"But check points respawn every time!" they said. God forbid there be plenty of people to shoot in my fps.

Nothing controversial here. Only truth. High five!

HF2014

Uncharted series look like a B movie with crappy dialogues with Triple A special effects. I think stories in Steven Seagal movie are better!!!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Uncharted series look like a B movie with crappy dialogues with Triple A special effects. I think stories in Steven Seagal movie are better!!!
I will destroy all you motherfucker birthday.

I don't like Uncharted that much either

Frillen

Uncharted 1 - 3 and The Last of Us all have mediocre endings, gameplay wise.

Also, the start of Uncharted 2 is hugely overrated. Yay climbing simulator.

Fallout 4 for me, had I bought it, would have been a waste of $60. I watched my best friend play basically through the entire thing and even he(a big fan of fallout new vegas) even felt that it was a waste of $60. I even got my hands on it and played and god that felt so bad.

Scotia

Banned
Call of Duty is going to die a slow and boring death if they continue with the futuristic shit. People say FPS WW2 games were boring but they were no where near as bad as the modern COD games now. Infinite Warfare looks like fucking trash. They made space boring. How the fuck do you make space boring?

Street Fighter V is a hollow game that could have potentially been in the best in the series if Capcom didn't fuck it all up. The game is never going to lose the stigma it's gotten now and I'd be surprised if it ever reached the initial potential it could have got. I can't play the game for more than an hour due to the lack of options. I gave online a go and it's terrible. Rage quitters everywhere and terrible connection and load times. The game is fantastic though and I will play the fuck out of it once the options finally become available. Regardless, it's obvious Capcom cared way more about the tourney scene (which is important, don't get me wrong) than the actual players and it shows heavily in the game. If they'd simply waited a month or two, maybe three, the game would have been amazing. Instead, we've got a watered down game with amazing gameplay but almost non-existant options and terrible online. The only thing Capcom can do to keep us positive is say "___ is coming soon" for months. I love Street Fighter, but I almost feel the game should fail so that Capcom realise the huge fuck-up they've made and learn from it in future games. Until this game becomes what it should have been day one, then it's simply going to gather dust on my shelf.

I can safely say that the first three Crash Bandicoot games are far better in terms of enjoyment than any of the modern-day Mario games (and I include the Wii games in that).

Chola

Banned
Thanks for confirming the picture I have of ,,fuckkonami"-people.

The one where you see his name credited 50 times, i.e. every time you load a level? They obviously couldn't afford Kojima's overbudget game projects anymore. Should they have gone bankrupt just not to piss off some internet trolls? They also didn't turn the game into a pachinko machine. It's a completely different product. It sucks to see many of their franchises now being gone from the traditional market, but again, otherwise they probably ain't being profitable with their IP anymore. It has been absolutely cringeworthy how some people were raging over this reality, with such extent the fuckkonami-bandwagon has (and how hypocritical it was, considering that the outrage only started with MGS).

yes, only his name appeared, not his co writer's names or the level designers or testers name. People need to stop with that over budget talk, 80 million to develop a engine and a game is pretty standard. MGS sells unlike other konami games, btw MGS V is a commercial success,

danmaku

You know when people say "I don't understand why something is popular?". Usually it's just a figure of speech, it's not hard to explain why something is popular.

However, I can't understand why WiiU users seem to like Miiverse, and it's NOT a figure of speech. I don't get it. It's like GAF, if every GAF thread had only one post with some variation on "this game is great!", sometimes with a picture. That's it. No one wants to discuss anything, and if you post something you'll get a +1 and nothing else. What's the point? I tried to make a post about the Enochian language in Bayonetta and... guess what? There's a character limit, so even if you want to say something that requires more than a couple of short sentences... you can't. I guess Nintendo wanted it to be this way: shallow and stupid. Maybe Bayonetta 1-2 have the worst Miiverses ever and the others are better, I don't know.

I will destroy all you motherfucker birthday.

I don't like Uncharted that much either

Uncharted 1 - 3 and The Last of Us all have mediocre endings, gameplay wise.

Also, the start of Uncharted 2 is hugely overrated. Yay climbing simulator.

Made some edits to refine your opinion
Uncharted 4 coming in hot to shit on your opinions.

dude

dude
I hate franchises revivals. Some series need to die. Not because they're bad, not because of shark-jumping, but simply because it's just natural for some things to not last goddamn forever. It disgusts me that even once a series has quietly been put to rest someone has to buy the IP and reboot, remaster or continue it. And gamers will continue begging for more dead IPs to be brought to life all the time.
Things are meant to die at some point. Enjoy it for what they were, replay them in their original creative vision, and wish for new things to come of studio you love.

The same goes for people who sequel beg. Not every goddamn game needs a sequel.

Replaying TLOU, and it's still great, but there are so many stupid gameplay mechanics in place to up the difficulty. I'm playing on hard, and the lack of ammo is so forced. Enemies can just shoot all day, but when you kill them, surprise, no ammo. Stealth kill that same enemy? I guess the shotgun they were carrying wasn't loaded, since no ammo.

Manu

I'm not offended by fanservices and throwbacks of older games of the same series.

If this is about DS3, then allow me to go a step further: Most (if not all) of the backlash regarding the callbacks to previous games in Dark Souls 3 is because of the cult of personality created around Miyazaki. Some zealous fans consider fanservice and callbacks to be "below" Miyazaki, when he never said or implied anything of the sort. The same happened when Dark Souls 2 had vague references to the first game, people lost their shit and blamed "the B team" for not understanding Lord Miyazaki's approach to lore and worldbuilding and whatnot. Now DS3 is out and people still believe Miyazaki has some kind of "no rehashing" policy he betrayed or something.

gelf

I hate franchises revivals. Some series need to die. Not because they're bad, not because of shark-jumping, but simply because it's just natural for some things to not last goddamn forever. It disgusts me that even once a series has quietly been put to rest someone has to buy the IP and reboot, remaster or continue it. And gamers will continue begging for more dead IPs to be brought to life all the time.
Things are meant to die at some point. Enjoy it for what they were, replay them in their original creative vision, and wish for new things to come of studio you love.

The same goes for people who sequel beg. Not every goddamn game needs a sequel.

Sometimes I hypocritically do ask for new entries in a franchise but still I tend to agree with this. A great series can be made of just a few entries(or even just one) and reach a natural and fitting conclusion without the need for endless sequels to dilute that.

There's a combat inside myself for what I want really, I love classic Sega properties for example and will ask for them when Sega makes surveys about them but what I actually miss about the company was when they gave me new games I didn't even know I wanted yet. They made Panzer Dragoon when all I was asking for was Streets of Rage 4, and I loved it. Ditto Jet Set Radio and numerous other new IPs when all I was still asking for was more sequels.

It would be a more interesting world if publishers could be braver and draw a line under a franchise and make something new. Even if its just a spiritual successor with similar gameplay to what they worked on previously thats still more interesting then making "Popular IP 5"

Lux R7

If this is about DS3, then allow me to go a step further: Most (if not all) of the backlash regarding the callbacks to previous games in Dark Souls 3 is because of the cult of personality created around Miyazaki. Some zealous fans consider fanservice and callbacks to be "below" Miyazaki, when he never said or implied anything of the sort. The same happened when Dark Souls 2 had vague references to the first game, people lost their shit and blamed "the B team" for not understanding Lord Miyazaki's approach to lore and worldbuilding and whatnot. Now DS3 is out and people still believe Miyazaki has some kind of "no rehashing" policy he betrayed or something.

I was inspired by all the ds3 backlash yeah, and i agree with you. That said i really don't dislike call backs and fanservice in general.

Nosgotham

mario 3d world isnt fun. i love the galaxies, nsmb wii, super luigi u, 3d land but i just did not enjoy 3d world much at all.

Cmon, iv look at the first 5 minutes of this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JgTJkCnKnqw and nearly felt asleep with dialogues and story! I nearly cried of laugh when i saw Nathan faint!

Sorry, Nathan look like too bubblehead caracter for me.But for action and special effects, sure it will get attention.
If that made you fall asleep, you're hopeless.
This gen sucks and i miss the previous one.
I wouldn't say it totally sucks yet, but I do kind of miss the last one already.

Dr.Social

Banned
I hate the way the Splatoon characters look. They look like rejects from a shitty 90's marketing campaign.

Clickbait is an overused term used to dismiss articles you disagree with.

Not a single games of the 32 or 64 bits generation holds up.

latest

Nice try guy.

Exodust

Banned
I like the 2D Sonic games more than the 2D Mario games. When I say that I specifically refer to the Genesis games, that said it's mostly due to preference of style over the substance. While I still find the substance to be comparable.

3D Mario > 2D Mario. As much as I love the first two SMB games, both western and japanese versions of the second game if you're wondering, I never found Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World to be that great despite being fun games. My least favorite games in both dimensions of Mario games tend to be what everybody else finds to be the best(SMB3 and Galaxy). Best are Super Mario 64 in 3D and Super Mario Bros. in 2D IMO. I also think Sunshine is a great game that was more hated on for the theme being similar in most levels and use of Fludd than on it's actual merits as a game.

Zelda 2 is a fantastic game that I find to be way better than the first. Don't think top down Zelda got great till Lttp, which I thought A Link Between Worlds surpassed.

Nintendo still makes great games, my loss of interest in them is finding most of their major 3D games to be getting easier and more linear. Linearity is my bigger issue, as the sense of non linearity found in SM64 and 64 Zeldas is a big reason I found them better than their 2D counterparts and a good evolution of the franchises in the bloodbath that was the transition to 3D period. They were never completely open, just that more recent installments seem to try to make it more like 2D in 3D, when I find that different things work for both.

I can count the good FF games on one hand.

Resident Evil games were always more action oriented from 2 on. That said they always still had horror elements even in the more actiony games(4, 5 and 6). The issue some had is that it was scarier when it had tank controls and they can't accept a game being more tense action wise due to the controls, which are far superior.

That said, the real horror game series was always Silent Hill. That series felt like the tank controls made more sense for it than it ever did in RE past the first one, as that series always felt like it tried to have more action but couldn't achieve what it wanted till RE4.

While I enjoy the Souls games, they were never amazing nor were they the best games around. They just came out in the right place and time in regards to gamers finding games too easy.

As much as I've liked a lot of Sony's first party output, I only find their consoles to be the best around when it had a lot of 3rd party exclusives. I wouldn't have cared for the PSX or PS2 if it wasn't for those 3rd party exclusives. Which was the only reason why I think the PS2 is the best console of all time.

Phantasy Star > Final Fantasy.

The only people who complain about Sega's output now are people who only play or look at Sonic games.

As much as I love Mortal Kombat, the only reason it ever sold more or got more popularity than Street Fighter was due to it being simpler to play and it having a style more appealing to the West. I hate God Of War, but same can be said for why it always sold more than Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden.

Games are as good as they always have been, if you only play AAA games you're not really into games as much as you say you are.

Mass Effect 2 & 3 > 1. All the stuff people miss from the first one were handled horribly anyway. The only thing the first one has that is better is music and MAYBE plot. Truth is the plot was never that good, a series like ME should focus on characters, and 2 and 3 did it better.

3 didn't have a bad ending. The ending is perfect until the translucent baby showed up, which is only there to insure more sequels. Stop getting angry over it, plebs.

Telltale kinda sucks at adventure games. I only liked Wolf Among Us and that's only because it's based on Fables and the style. Life Is Strange and D4 are way better games at handling it. After playing a bit of both I don't really wanna go back to Telltale games.

FPS games haven't been worth playing since 2007. Best games since have been either throwbacks or something that tries to be different.

Dragon Age games are fun as diversions when you have nothing else to play, they were never top tier games.

Phoenix Wright games are the best adventure games of the past decade.

Batman Arkham City > Arkham Asylum in every way.

Retro Castlevania > Igavania's. Symphony of the Night is fantastic, but every other one that tries to be it is decent at best.

Madworld, Vanquish and Bayonetta are peak Platinum Games. Other than Revengeance everything else is OK.

Okami is a mediocre game that goes on too long and is held back by it's combat system.

Megaman has just as much bad games as Sonic, and a lot of the problems you attribute to the Genesis Sonic games work as complaints of older Megaman games.

Metroid, overall, is a better series than Zelda. Even if I tend to prefer the latter.

Sports sims never recovered from the big loss that is NFL 2K series.

OG Xbox was pretty great for it's short lifespan, and in many ways was the continuation of the Dreamcast.

As much as I like the Saturn and the japanese games for it. That still doesn't make it as good as the PSX or the N64(Yes, even that). As much of a sega stan I can be, the marketing and awful handling on the US side isn't the only reason it didn't end up as popular as it could have been as the successor to the Genesis. Kinda in the same way how Turbografx never reached the heights of the Genesis or the SNES

Nights Into Dreams is the most overrated Sega game. It's good but definitely not on the level the fanbase would have you think.

The love for Rare is almost all due to nostalgia. I've always hated that excuse but it definitely applies when it comes to Rare. The quality has been the same even with the move to MS the only difference is that the fanbase grew up.

Japanese gaming didn't fall just because they almost all moved to mobile and portable gaming. The golden era ended for a lot of reasons and one of them is that not enough great games compared to eras before and the west surpassed them in most aspects.

Microsoft's 1st party can be a bit "bro" at times but they've published enough fantastic games to look forward to whatever comes out of them.

The Gamecube had the last truly inventive games Nintendo ever made. After that it went more towards recreating past successes.

The Wii is underrated simply because the Nintendo games were still good. And it actually had way better third party output than the Gamecube.

Madworld and No More Heroes are probably the best games to use the wiimote. To the point where any port or successor found on other consoles suffered due to not having it.

The Wiimote sucked for the most part. I find the idea of adding motion controls to regular controller like the sixaxis to be a better idea but with much worse execution. The pointer for aiming is the only truly revolutionary thing the Wiimote ever introduced, and it's kind of sad that no regular controller after tried to incorporate the pointer.

The PS3 was worth owning for Sony's output on it alone. While the 360 was better for the controller and 3rd party games, their 1st party output suffered a bit from the transition of the OG Xbox, though.

The Last Of Us, however, is boring. While the presentation is well done. It's a very cliched typical zombie story and I found the emotional core to be a bit hamfisted. While the gameplay was a big stepdown from Uncharted with weaker stealth and survival mechanics from much older games.

A shorter game that's replayable with a good amount of content is better than a longer game with more content.

The dualshock of old is better than the PS4 controller. I'd rather play with something I'm used to than something new with too much going on and shoddier hardware.

AAA gaming is not THAT bad, compared to what I said before. there's enough good stuff to last you a while if that's all you go for, even if indie gaming has a lot more to offer.

I wish 2D fighting games would go for better sprites over 3D models. The only place it works in is MK and that's only because MK games tried to be somewhat realistic from the start.

Tenebrous

Overwatch seemingly makes the fatal mistake of not making kills feel rewarding. Abilities like Soldier's ultimate (auto-aim) have no place in an FPS, and any & all killstreaks I've got so far have felt disappointing, to say the least.

Even CoD has a better sense of killstreak satisfaction. Getting 20 kills in CoD is a pretty cool thing to do, but when I get 20 in Overwatch with my hiding in the corner heal & auto aim ability, it feels like a streak of 2.

Unreal Tournament doesn't deserve to be so overshadowed by the hero shooter genre, but then again, we're in a world where people are shying away from "pure" genres like RTS and FPS.

suikodan

I really wish I could filter any NX thread in general. The speculation talks are simply annoying.

- What color?
- Let US decide of the NX controller
- Etc...

We know nothing of it but since it's Nintendo, any topic can be created and justified.

Overwatch seemingly makes the fatal mistake of not making kills feel rewarding. Abilities like Soldier's ultimate (auto-aim) have no place in an FPS, and any & all killstreaks I've got so far have felt disappointing, to say the least.

Even CoD has a better sense of killstreak satisfaction. Getting 20 kills in CoD is a pretty cool thing to do, but when I get 20 in Overwatch with my hiding in the corner heal & auto aim ability, it feels like a streak of 2.

Unreal Tournament doesn't deserve to be so overshadowed by the hero shooter genre, but then again, we're in a world where people are shying away from "pure" genres like RTS and FPS.
Wouldn't that arguably be because the point isn't to simply get kills in a lot of modes?

Auctopus

Wouldn't that arguably be because the point isn't to simply get kills in a lot of modes?

Yeah, kills aren't everything so they're probably not trying to get people addicted to the idea of just killing other players over and over again - COD is designed to be a kill conveyoer belt and rewards the player to behaving in such a way.

Ralemont

not me
Is that controversial? With how big immersion gaming has become, I would've thought that was a common thought among those types of players.

I don't know if it's controversial, but it's certainly uncommon. Makes me curious about TW3, too, since as good as the music is it gets insanely repetitive since it's played 100% of the time. I prefer Dragon Age Inquisition/Guild Wars 2 style of having it kick in occasionally.

Bakkus

Miyamoto honestly offers nothing of value to Nintendo any longer. All reports regarding him for close to 10 years now has shown that he's holding the company back. So many asinine ideas for many of the games he supervises over (yes, supervises. he's not even helping developing any longer) while holding good ideas back makes me depressed to read every time they show up. I suggest he retires, looks back at his great legacy and give the younger employees like Koizumi full control over the likes of Zelda and Mario.

Top Bottom