• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

I always saw the Dreamcast as a home arcade system rather than a traditional home console, with a few exceptions not that it's a bad thing or anything but I definitely prefer the Genesis library more than anything

The Dreamcast is undoubtedly a great console, but nowhere near the best ever as many people claim. I think it has a certain martyr status, being as it was Sega's last console. Bizarrely, most of the people extolling it aren't usually even big Sega fans either, so probably don't know that Sega's other home consoles have stronger libraries.

The Dreamcast does have a great library of arcade perfect ports (the best ones are mostly fighters)...but then the Saturn does as well...and tons more/better shooters, platformers, RPGs and adventure games and an overall library that is more than 2x bigger than the Dreamcast's, yet it never get's talked about outside of hardcore gaming communities. Sucks to have 90% of your library never leave Japan I guess.

spekkeh

Banned
Edit 2: It's weird that in an industry driven by derivation and sequels, an industry where the most lauded games are derived from extremely established formulas, the problem with The Last of Us is that it's a derivation of The Road and Children of Men.
Well that's exactly the point innit. "Good for games, derivative in light of other media".
I'm never a fan of the same story being told twice. You need to do something extra. The last of us, for me, did not do enough extra. Where the main twist was there was no twist. Why bother I say. But it's absolutely fine if you like interacting with derivation. This is after all just my opinion.

Some Nobody

Not that controversial but,

I actually enjoy listening to podcasts about games more than actually playing the darn things. I just don't have the time anymore to put hours and hours into a game, so I live vicariously through podcasts.

I also think that the whole industry would be better off if lets plays and YouTube videos were not able to be monitized. Let the professionals be professional and let's the amateurs be amateurs. It frustrates me that the marketing teams now are giving more credence to the youtubers than to traditional media.

Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded. Alas.

Not jaded, just wrong. Making money off YouTube is a separate thing from marketing teams giving them any sort of insight.

I take issue with this--people have gone their own way, built careers out of this and youre basically saying they should've been forced to work for IGN or GameSpot. Why?

If they got to a level of popularity and respect from the larger gaming community on their own that makes publishers notice that, good for them.

Wensih

Well that's exactly the point innit. "Good for games, derivative in light of other media".
I'm never a fan of the same story being told twice. You need to do something extra. The last of us, for me, did not do enough extra. Where the main twist was there was no twist. Why bother I say. But it's absolutely fine if you like interacting with derivation. This is after all just my opinion.

The second edit isn't highlighting a problem with The Last of Us, just an overall observation with the games industry that makes it difficult to understand why someone who dislikes derivation found an interest in a hobby that focuses mainly on derivation and innovation rather than creation and invention.

Anyway as I said prior, retelling stories from different perspectives allows the reader/listener/player new insights on the same/similar scenario. There's merit in that alone. I think you would be surprised the quality of art that is in response to an earlier peace.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of your favorite games, movies, and books?

haikira

After all the worry around here, and explanations why DOOM 2016 wasn't going to be a real doom, I'm not paying too much attention to similar posts and threads for Resident Evil 7, at least not until it's actually out this time. Too many people being deliberately obtuse, and choosing to ignore that combat, inventory management, and health management are all confirmed, and I think what most are actually trying to say is they're going to miss the third person perspective.

Ritzboof

i think the original sonic the hedgehog games are really unfun. such a fast character for a game where you have to stop and go slow a lot. the sonic adventure games are a guilty pleasure, tho. i grew up on them and i feel like a sonic game cant be a true sonic game unless it runs on jank

I feel like I dodged a bullet from not playing Witcher 3, Overwatch and many other popular titles, but for different reasons.

Witcher 3, I don't really play games for story and I only like combat, of which I heard it's not all that (dogma as the standard to compare against).

Overwatch, I can learn to be good at the game but still be at the mercy of a shit team and always have that 50/50 win/loss I hear about because I have to rely on others to succeed. Going deep with a clan, voice comms etc. is not where I want to go either. Many people saying it's a cash grab loot-crate RNG thing puts me off too.

Streetfighter 5. . . man, people appealing to EVO numbers as proof of success, but I'm not feeling it. The local communities and offline scenes seem anemic compared to what SF4 had. I am shocked to hear people prefer SF4 over 5 since I didn't think 4 was that great of a fighter.

Modern Tomb Raiders, Uncharted 3/4. . . I could see all the gameplay elements from youtube and see a been there done that, that makes me not want to part money with to play.

Dragon Age Inquisition, Fallout 4 etc. where there was a flurry of excitement at first that hasn't stood the test of time. Things like Assassins Creed look like fucking meh too.

Imo a real profession game critic would have at least a BFA or good art history background. Imagine reading a review and not just seeing "the story was bad! the graphics, good!" but a genuine critical analysis of shape, color, form, function, technique, historical context, etc.

Most game critics are functionally illiterate for all the good they do.

Then again if i had my way it would probably take multiple playthroughs over hundreds of hours to review each single game.

There's a big difference between game reviews and real criticism. You don't need an art history degree to tell someone whether a game is worth spending their money on.

The chaos system in Dishonored isn't as bad as a lot of people claim and I'm happy Arkane is keeping it to expand and improve upon it in the sequel

Probably not too controversial but I normally don't believe that this or other forums has a significant amount of PR astroturfers and shills, Although when I read people who ardently support anticonsumer actions by companies (expanding MT, money grabbing preorder campaigns, etc), it gives me pause to wonder.

eifer

Everyone here is convinced that NX is some kind of hybrid device with detachable controllers. I'm sorry, but when marketing a device to a younger audience, IMO, Nintendo would want to keep things simple. So the whole detachable controllers plus a dock plus cartridges plus multiple controllers etc just seems totally over the top. I think all the rumors are nonsense and it'll be a traditionally home console that will pair with whatever the 3ds successor is.

Also, the witcher 3 has awful combat mechanics.

The flood of japanese games that previously were on consoles only and now come for PC is welcome, but PC would have been the best gaming platform even if it only had the pc exclusive games.

Diablo 2 is the only good Blizzard game
Well, it's indeed their best game, so at least you aren't 100% wrong (only 99%)

Forza Motorsport is better simulator than Assetto Corsa/rFactor.

A more feature complete racing game? For sure
A better simulator? Hell no.

I don't think that is a controversial opinion in any shape or form. Bioshock Infinite is hated by lots of people on GAF
Yeah but Bioshock 2 doesn't get that much love either. A lot of people didn't give it a chance past the initial backlash it got for being too similar and not as good as its predecessor.

Microtransactions are the best thing to happen to multiplayer shooters, in cases where there's no map packs or community division.

Sony first party games have always been "meh." The only one I consider to be a good game was Crash Team Racing, as it was a lot better than Mario Kart. The rest though? Uncharted, TLoU, GoW, infamous, order, GT (which actually used to be good, but Forza is better now), Killzone, etc are just uninteresting. The value of buying a Sony console (and the reason I do so every gen) is for 3rd party exclusive Japanese games, not for Sony first party games. If Bloodborne counts, that's another good game though

Kaji AF16

Sony´s "legendary" trinity from E3 2015 (The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, FFVII remake) was galactically overblown (jumping journalists, melting gaming forums, etc.), and ultimately those three games will get a relatively lukewarm popular reception.

It will be seen, in retrospect, as the peak of Sony´s rather undisputed and undeserved goodwill during this generation (which perhaps has shown some cracks with the launch of No Man´s Sky?).

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
I can't overlook TW3's hollow gameplay nor the fact that you receive a miniscule amount of xp from downing tough enemies so I dropped the game and have no intentions of playing it again.

DMONKUMA

I find that out of the big three, Nintendo has the least first party games that I like with them being Zelda(3D), Metorid(2D/3D), Smash and a bit of Pokemon are the only interesting games I would buy a Nintendo console for. Anything else like Mario games, Pikmin, Star fox, etc. have no real value for me.

I find it funny that Final Fantasy XII is my favorite out of the series but has a garbage battle system. I hate MMO-like combat.

Protann

I don't think Kojima was entirely in the right in the MGSV situation and I can't really get mad at Konami for anything they did. Everything I've seen and read on the situation makes me feel like Kojima had no idea what the hell he was doing from a business sense, and possibly even a game design sense. (Ground Zeroes is miles better than anything in TPP)

This game cost about the same amount to make as The Witcher 3. TW3 is comprised of 100+ hours of deep narrative in a huge world. MGSV is comprised of 100 hours of bland, samey missions taking place in the same 2 empty open environments with little to no story to speak of, with the ending cut out of the game because Kojima can't into budgets. Konami didn't fail MGS fans, Kojima did.

I really can't do open world games anymore. Think I had my fill of those fedex style and one man army quests, rather play something that is better designed and not padded with filler.

WoW being a hot topic again I'll throw a jolly one that I feel I'm alone in:

I loved how PVP and PVE gear in Vanilla WoW was pretty much the same and overall felt more like one package instead of deep separation between the two. It felt more like a world and less like a game. Sure, it wasn't the most balanced thing (hell, I played Warlock back then and the first tier sets were full of Fire+Shadow resistance) but it also made things seem so much more exciting when you saw some enemy in the battlegrounds and you could tell from miles away this dude was a hardcore raider that was packing some serious heat and everyone would gang up on that player first.

Also there were a few players that got really good gear from PVP to be able to raid in my old guild. Serious respect for them.

WoW being a hot topic again I'll throw a jolly one that I feel I'm alone in:

I loved how PVP and PVE gear in Vanilla WoW was pretty much the same and overall felt more like one package instead of deep separation between the two. It felt more like a world and less like a game. Sure, it wasn't the most balanced thing (hell, I played Warlock back then and the first tier sets were full of Fire+Shadow resistance) but it also made things seem so much more exciting when you saw some enemy in the battlegrounds and you could tell from miles away this dude was a hardcore raider that was packing some serious heat and everyone would gang up on that player first.

Also there were a few players that got really good gear from PVP to be able to raid in my old guild. Serious respect for them.

Vanilla WoW was my crack. Its a good thing it turned into what it is today or else I would probably be in bad shape right now lol.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Sony´s "legendary" trinity from E3 2015 (The Last Guardian, Shenmue 3, FFVII remake) was galactically overblown (jumping journalists, melting gaming forums, etc.), and ultimately those three games will get a relatively lukewarm popular reception.

It will be seen, in retrospect, as the peak of Sony´s rather undisputed and undeserved goodwill during this generation (which perhaps has shown some cracks with the launch of No Man´s Sky?).
Undeserved?

purdobol

Most of the "gaming peripherals" sold nowadays is giant scam. Mouse transformers with adjustable weight, useless blinking leds and DPI switchers. Mechanical keyboards with RGB leds that make you press the buttons "faster". Super hiper duper gaming headsets. Don't even want to mention overpriced mousepads...

spekkeh

Banned

Sony's good will is absolutely deserved, even if the hype surrounding the Trinity wasn't. (A game designed with last gen sensibilities that won't stand the test of time, a remake of a game designed with the sensibilities of three generations ago that certainly doesn't stand the test of time, and a game that wasn't even in development when it got 'revealed'). It's fucking nothing and people lost their minds over it.

MoonFrog

I mean I don't own a PS4 or a Vita, but Sony's body of good will being undeserved is a bit strange to claim. They corrected the generation towards something the core console demographic wanted, burning publishers DRM dreams to do so. Moreover, they came out with a more powerful console that was not inflated in value with peripherals said audience didn't want. PS4 started off with a massive PR success through giving gamers the sort of machine they wanted instead of the sort of machine they thought the industry would force them to accept.

The reason I don't have a PS4 is the software to get me to buy it just isn't there. I don't like Sony first party much anymore; they lost me with PS3. TLG is more my thing but that's been in development hell so long I have no intention of buying a console for it. Moreover, I can play most PS4 games on PC already and I want a gaming PC for PC exclusive games and genres. PS is not the Japanese third party exclusive box it used to be by any stretch of the imagination.

But for people who do like Sony first party, don't have a gaming PC, etc. Sony has been there.

As to the year of dreams--yes, the reaction was crazy over-the-top. Barely anything was shown, the kickstarter for Shenmue being announced that way was shady as fuck, we're not going to have these games for years, etc. It was a PR ploy with limited substance and it worked.

GC/PS2/XBOX games on CRT TVs are easier on the eyes than 360/PS3 games on an HD TV. I can't fucking stand those silvery, jaggidy lines present wherever different pieces of assets meet. It's so bad. I think it's also referred to as "shimmeriness"

I really dont like the idea of mid gen upgrade consoles because it's way too pricy, especially in Canada.

I'm not made of money game companies! However I can wait for price drops, so yeah. Contradictions ahoy.

Thabass

Since Final Fantasy XIV relaunched, it has been the best MMO out there and is currently better than WoW.

And always will be.

Also: Sephiroth is a much better antagonist than Kefka will ever be.

I really dont like the idea of mid gen upgrade consoles because it's way too pricy, especially in Canada.

I'm not made of money game companies! However I can wait for price drops, so yeah. Contradictions ahoy.

Yup, 500 for a console with no bundled games is a big NO from me. That's why I'm just gonna get a PS4 Slim instead. Just waiting on a good bundle. It's sad that a 379 is a good price for a 3 year old console :(

Da-Kid

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild looks visually better than Horizon: Zero Dawn.

This is controversial I guess lol.

Top Bottom