• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Bakkus

Agreed.

People who play video games solely for story must be gluttons for punishment. They ought to try reading books or watching movies.

This is funny, because many of the movies I've watched which has a reputation for having a good story, I personally find to be quite poorly written, with lots of logical leaps, plot holes, and Deus Ex Machina scenarios on steroids. You know, the type of thing people criticize most video game stories for.

Valahart

Wind Waker is the absolute worst 3D Zelda.

Navigating is the most bored I've been playing a game, dungeons are straight forward and dull, game is unfinished and way too easy.

Roughly 4-5 hours in and I don't like The Last of Us and stopped playing it

I got sick and tired of the game holding my hand and forcing me into these rudimentary stealth sections with Clickers. "Walk slow!!! They can't see you but they can hear you! Get it??? Do you get it yet?????"

Mozendo

Race the Sun doesn't really deserve the praise it got.
After playing smartphones like it years before it came out I just don't see what makes Race the Sun so special.

Race the Sun doesn't really deserve the praise it got.
After playing smartphones like it years before it came out I just don't see what makes Race the Sun so special.
Was Race the Sun that praised?

I enjoyed it at the time. It's got that "one more round" thing going for it, it's got the classic "easy to play, hard to master" stuff, and it seemed like a pretty good distillation of the "runner" genre.

MoonFrog

Metroid Prime? More like Metroid Crime!

Makes me quite sad to read that. What is it? 3D, first-person, Samus's agility? To me, Metroid Prime is Super Metroid 3D, much like OoT is aLttP 3D, and not like the more strained relationship between Mario 64 and SMB1-4.

Or is the claim that while it is a Metroid game, it is a bad one?

If a less popular series had released a game with technical quirks like Pokemon Sun & Moon it would have got crucified.

I'm loving the game, but double battles chugging at times and there literally being 10 second pauses where nothing happens is absolutely unacceptable. Knowledge of a Switch port being imminent doesn't change the fact this game is amateur levels at times.

I feel like Nintendo haven't evolved at all since the N64 days. While I loved Wind Waker, Super Mario Galaxy and Pokemon Heart Gold, I feel like they will always get a pass because of their name. Motion controls and the touch screen were awful ideas from Miyamotto as a substitute for a second analog stick too. Star Fox Zero for example is one of the most mediocre games I have played this generation yet it holds a high 60 metacritic with loads of positive scores and reviews when I find its barely any better than Knack.

Retro Studios tried to make them more modern with the Prime series only to be put on DKC afterwards. Again my opinion, I don't think they make bad games but definitely overrated.

Best wishes.

Bummblue

Neo Member
Maybe not shocking on here, but Dragon Age: Inquisition is fucking tedious. I said I was done with Bioware after the end of ME3 (I own almost every game they made since Baldur's Gate 1), but stupid me went ahead and picked this game up on sale.

30 hours in...

-Something interesting happens about every 10 hours it seems.

-I thought the single player MMO talk was overblown...it is not.

-Combat is worse than a game they made around 17 years ago (yeah, not the same Bioware).

-They continue to have these impassable walls on their maps that make you travel way around to get to where you're going. Trying to find some components in the Exalted Plains just now was maddening.

-Jesus protagonist to the extreme.

In the end, I'm the big dumb jerk since I'll continue playing it until the end.

This.
And the characters are by far the worst in the Dragon Age series - which is part of the reason we play Bioware games in the first place.

Flui111

Banned
Ueda and Team Ico stans are just like Jcole stans. Just as Jcole stans say you need a certain level on intelligence to understand his music, Team Ico fans say you need to understand and bear with a game with clunky controls and shoddy framerate to understand the "masterpiece"

Don't even try to argue with Nintendo fans, especially when you try and bring facts into the argument because they will dismiss everything you say. If you try and provide reasoning on why the switch might not take over tablet gaming, Nintendo fans seem to reason that since they will buy a switch, everyone will buy a switch so Xbox and Playstation are doomed.

Contrary to popular belief on this board, CS:GO did not become popular because of gambling and skins. It's actually a pretty good game that offers a competitive mode that people play for hours on end.

Framerate>Graphics every single time. i'm playing a game so i'd want to play a game as smooth as it is, i'm not "watching" and staring at the surrondings like i would do a movie so graphics are irrelevant to me.

I was going to say this in the thread about divergence between your opinion and critical opinion of games, but it seemed a better fit here:

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb is a better game than any Uncharted game. It's got a better narrative for an adventure story than the Uncharted games, which try to wring emotion from mediocre writing, and it has way better combat.

It has slightly worse platforming and looks worse, but it's just a better game when you sit down to play it.

Oh, and the hidden artifacts in IJatET are actually fun to find instead of tiny little gleaming things strewn about on the ground.

While I'm in this thread and on this topic, The Collective is a top-ten dev in the XBOX/PS2/Dreamcast/Gamecube era.

LordRaptor

A recent thread about how Hearthstone is entirely P2W RNG bullshit and very little inherent fun (I agree) reminded me;

Blizzard haven't made a game that actually clicks with me for a long time. I used to think of them on a pretty unassailable pedestal of quality, but... they're just some studio now.

WoW - never played, don't like MMOs.
SC2 - poor campaign, multi did nothing, and the overall package split into 3 seperate full price games with such minor changes it could almost be called an HD remake (if it hadn't made a lot of things worse) left a bad taste.
D3 - Didn't play, always-online single player is bullshit and I won't support it.
Hearthstone - P2W RNG bullshit, or excesively grindy RNG bullshit, depending on your spending habits.
HOTS - conceptually I have no problem with taking LoL and streamlining it even further by doing things like moving shop purchases into skill tree upgrades, but 'crazy map events' make single player contributions even worse than most MOBAs and IMO suffers from only using "Blizzard universe" heroes as it skews heavily medieval themed, and I'm not a huge Blizzard fanboy, so most of the characters have no built in appeal. For gameplay diversity they'd have been better off just creating new characters for specific gameplay builds.
Overwatch - Disappointingly shallow.

Bakkus

Mario Kart 64 was the first game I ever played, but it's laughably outdated by now, with it's terrible physics, poor car controls, way too long immobile time if you get hit by anything, and tracks which are way too big for the tiny cars you drive.

Anyone who say this is better than any of the games released after (aside from Super Circuit perhaps) have some nostalgia goggles glued really hard on them.

Thanks for the thread.

Final Fantasy VIII is the best in the series.

Chrono Cross is much better than Chrono trigger.

Half-Life 1 was great for it's time, but 2 is a mediocre game.

Halo is overrated (although it is a good game and I enjoy it, it is far from a masterpiece, and it is certainly not revolutionary).

God of War and Gears of War suck. Gears is a little more entertaining cause you get Co-Op, and God of War wins in the aesthetics department - but in the end, they are both repetitive as it gets.

Megaman 2 is far from the best classic Megaman, that would be 3 or 5.

Skyrim is boring. Oblivion was much better.

Fallout New Vegas is waaaay better than Fallout 3 in every aspect.

I probably have many more but I think that does it lol.

PS: The Xbox should have never existed. (And I do play and own Xbox consoles lol)

meerak

I think you should meet games halfway and apply lots of imagination. I'm talking about role-playing.

Feel very much people have lost this idea of play when I read threads. Games give you a context for their world but often I get the feeling from players that they think they don't need to do any work to buy-in to the world or concept or mechanics. It's like people who knowingly ruin games for themselves by abusing OP mechanics because "it's in the game" rather than willfully limiting themselves. I think we as a gaming culture have severely repressed "role-playing" in digital games - I dunno why (maybe it is not cool?). I think about this a lot when I walk through towns in RPGs or refuse to buy any items in FF games because to me that is a difficulty slider. This type of activity I think should be encouraged but so many people I feel have such a simple or limited view of mechanics, not realizing everything is an option. Shadow of Mordor is another game I didn't buy skill upgrades in because from the get go it was too easy. Some players got angry with me and said this is me not acknowledging the game as a failure in this way; to me that's not the case at all.

Aaron D.

The Last Guardian's end sequence was shamefully manipulative, using lazy & tired movie tropes.

Completely heavy-handed and intellectually insulting.

I try different JRPG's over and over because GAF loves them. They suck. They're just extremely boring to me. Maybe I don't get the "Japanese lore".

Rocket League is the only competitive multiplayer game worth playing since Bad Company 2

Super Mario Galaxy 1-2 and Mario Kart 8 aside, Nintendo hasn't put out anything worth a damn in the past decade. BOTW could be the next game

Mario Kart 64 was the first game I ever played, but it's laughably outdated by now, with it's terrible physics, poor car controls, way too long immobile time if you get hit by anything, and tracks which are way too big for the tiny cars you drive.

Anyone who say this is better than any of the games released after (aside from Super Circuit perhaps) have some nostalgia goggles glued really hard on them.

Fight me. I find all other Mario Karts inferior because there are boosters on the ramps. MK64 had the most platforming and I love it for that. I wish the series took that philosophy even further with more jumping, shortcuts and pitfalls

Bakkus

Fight me. I find all other Mario Karts inferior because there are boosters on the ramps. MK64 had the most platforming and I love it for that. I wish the series took that philosophy even further with more jumping, shortcuts and pitfalls

There aren't boosters on all the ramps in the newer games. As for shortcuts, don't think it's very good there. The one on Koopa Troopa Beach is bad because the physics suck making it really hard. That's actually one thing Mario Kart Wii was best at by far. Even if many of them perhaps were not intentional. It was quite disappointing how 7 and 8 regressed big there.

When people say that Nintendo can't/won't/shouldn't try striving to make their consoles to be closer to their competition (direct, indirect, or otherwise) on even the fundamental levels (including but not limited to base-level hardware/power parity, third-party support, better online infrastructure, etc.), but also say that Nintendo won't/shouldn't ever exit the hardware business / go third-party, they're trying to have their cake and eat it.

And coming off the Wii U and that entire sorry saga of that platform, I honestly don't have much optimistic expectations for the Switch. Kinda surprised at those who are confident it will be a surefire hit, to be honest.

An update on my negativity in gaming comment. I am dealing a lot better with it by avoiding overtly negative topics and sticking with threads that feel more middle of the road and conversational. If this become caustic, I stop lurking that thread immediately.

So all in all, I am realizing I can just keep myself in a positive and informed zone where valid and rational criticism can be taken in but hyperbole can just be dropped immediately.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I absolutely loved Resident Evil 6. I enjoyed it more than RE4 and RE5 combined.

Maybe not more than both combined, but I did enjoy RE6. I liked it far more than RE5 which was bland as fuck, and I probably liked it a wee tad better than RE4.

I liked The Evil Within more than RE4, 5 and 6 combined though.

Berksy

Last of Us would be a better game if done with episodic content ala Walking Dead.
Every in game season = a new episode
Leave the fighting/sneaking fillers for QTE and focus on the story.
Though combat section at the start of winter and multiplayer were fun.

MoonFrog

When people say that Nintendo can't/won't/shouldn't try striving to make their consoles to be closer to their competition (direct, indirect, or otherwise) on even the fundamental levels (including but not limited to base-level hardware/power parity, third-party support, better online infrastructure, etc.), but also say that Nintendo won't/shouldn't ever exit the hardware business / go third-party, they're trying to have their cake and eat it.

And coming off the Wii U and that entire sorry saga of that platform, I honestly don't have much optimistic expectations for the Switch. Kinda surprised at those who are confident it will be a surefire hit, to be honest.

As to Nintendo and success:

I don't think there is only one model of success in this industry. Game Boy proved this. PlayStation proved this. DS proved this. Wii proved this. Yes, Wii U was a failure. Yes, mobile is eating into the room for dedicated handhelds. And yes, the Switch could also fail. It is quite the leap from that to "there is only one sort of gaming console that can exist." Perhaps Nintendo can find it, perhaps they can not. We'll see.

As to shouldn't go 3rd Party:

As to 3rd Party, that is not beneficial to Nintendo at all. That's asking them to take on higher budgets for lower money per sale and no licensing fee or hardware income. For what? Better sales? Their games already sell well, and the idea that they'd sell so much more on other consoles so as to make up for the increased cost of putting them out is ridiculous.

It is also not good for anyone who cares about the wider Nintendo catalog or the third party software that has found its place on their systems. If you want to see, say, Metroid again, Nintendo needs to be in a place where it feels it has the room and the need to press its mindshare in that way again. Getting rid of catalog considerations, making games riskier per above, etc. is not the way to go about that.

It is only good for people who feel compelled to buy Nintendo hardware because they want (and only want) something among 2D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, 3D Mario, and Zelda.

As to wouldn't go 3rd party:

They'll avoid it if they can, but that is not to say it'll never happen. Could quite well be 3rd party mobile developer, rather than 3rd party console developer, though.

An update on my negativity in gaming comment. I am dealing a lot better with it by avoiding overtly negative topics and sticking with threads that feel more middle of the road and conversational. If this become caustic, I stop lurking that thread immediately.

So all in all, I am realizing I can just keep myself in a positive and informed zone where valid and rational criticism can be taken in but hyperbole can just be dropped immediately.

I was part of that conversation; good to hear!

zoodoo

Playing Uncharted 4 now and damn the gameplay is still boring. i like the character's performance but that's about it.

Every shooting section: "oh no... not again"

Here's a weird one. I actually don't mind the concept of consoles going gaming as a service. I take issue with the practice of a service as it is now being the base minimum of what they can get away with and remain competitive. If it was a loaded and diverse service for a single (or even tiered) subscription price model, it could make them as a platform stronger to a potential consumer.

But again, I feel all of them do the base minimum to validate their sub cost. It is what it is.

I was part of that conversation; good to hear!

Thanks! It been a great adjustment on how to interact with this forum.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Bioshock Infinite is the worst Shock game.

I thought this was common knowledge.

Black Ops 1 is still the best overall COD game in terms of entertainment content/value.
Solid Campaign
Great Multiplayer.
The Best Zombie mode, before it got too complicated and bloated.

Top Bottom