• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Back on the topic of Duke Nukem Forever, I've been playing for a bit, and I just entered the hive. So far, while I recognize that DNF isn't as well designed, I've been having more fun with it than I did with the first Half-Life.

I hear the Hive is awful, we'll see how I feel about this in a bit.

The Hive isn't really a bad level. What ticked people off was, specifically, the ability to slap wall boobs and blow up Duke's girlfriends, the Wholsom twins, as these things were percieved as misogynistic.

Normally I would vehemently disagree with you but I'm in the middle of trying to figure out what just died on my PC and it's an enormous pain in the ass.

I'll have to get back to you once my rage subsides and my PC is working again.

[sarcasm] Just spend $5000 on another one. [/sarcasm]

Just spend $5000 on another one.

I built mine for about ~500 around 2-3 years ago.

60FPS+ at high settings for almost all modern games on my 1600x900 monitor (or my 720p HDTV, sadly 720p is the max on my older HDTV). Running as smooth as ever too, whereas I feel like my PS3 is going to blowup anyday (which I got the same year IIRC). Also if a part did fail (like maybe in Derricks case) I could just easily just replace the part. Whereas when my PS3 dies I will be fucked.

Odrion

Banned
After talking about TF2, I decided to go "fuck it" and try to dig in deep again one last time. Researched the easiest way to get items, got the stuff I wanted, and headed out to some nice old servers.

It's a little bloated, and I'm scared to see how bloated it's going to get in say... a year. But it's still a lot of fun, and the additional weapons for a class are great if they're all balanced right (the Soldier) or they effectively change the way you play (combat Engine.)

They kinda suck when they're overpowered (the deus ex rifle every Sniper fucking uses), or useless (a TON OF WEAPONS) And I wish that items had less of a visual gimmick (pirates/samurai/holiday) and instead just tried to fit the classes' theme while looking extremely cool. Also the store is RETARDED expensive, sheesh. I can give someone a piece of scrap metal for a $5-$10 weapon easy, that stuff needs to be priced like 66% lower before I even consider it.

But still, pretty good! Not completely wrecked.

edit: My PC was built for $500 last summer, it plays Skyrim at max settings at 40 FPS outdoors, 60 FPS (capped) indoors. The "$5000 Computer" critique was made completely invalid a long, long time ago. Hell, there was a topic in 2007 about building a $400 computer that ran Crysis effectively.

double edit: I much rather would have a computer part go bad, then for one of my consoles to die AGAIN. At least I can open up my computer and fix it myself.

TaroYamada

The Hive isn't really a bad level. What ticked people off was, specifically, the ability to slap wall boobs and blow up Duke's girlfriends, the Wholsom twins, as these things were percieved as misogynistic.

I haven't run into any wall boobs, but I just beat part 1, maybe they are in part 2? The whole women's bellies thing exploding I definitely found disturbing. I don't think it's misogynistic as much as it is disgusting and I personally wish it hadn't been there.

I feel like the hive in general has just been an attempt to gross the player out with all the slimy stuff. Regardless, I think the game is alright still so I'll keep playing, glad I didn't pay any money for it though because it is definitely unpolished and if it keeps that creepy pregnant women exploding thing up I don't think I'll be able to make it through.

Still like it more than the first Half Life, somewhat.... EDIT: Nevermind the Half Life comparison >.>

People were hating on Duke Nukem for being misogynistic?

Yeah, I am not a Duke fan so I was barely following it before it came out but I remember feminists on Reddit up in arms about slapping some girls ass in capture the flag or something. I didn't care that much so I didn't read into it.

edit: My PC was build for $500 last summer, it plays Skyrim at max settings at 40 FPS outdoors, 60 FPS (capped) indoors. The "$5000 Computer" critique was made completely invalid a long, long time ago. Hell, there was a topic in 2007 about building a $400 computer that ran Crysis effectively.

This man speaks truth, I am not your traditional PC gamer in that I vastly prefer Japanese games, namely old ones, to most American developers and the only Western dev I would say I like as much as the Japanese greats is Michel Ancel. None the less I switched to PC to save money on games, I paid $500 for my tower, I needed a PC anyways but this one can play Skyrim maxed out in 1680 x 1050, Deus Ex HR, Witcher what have you, all very purty. And that graphical powerhouse Duke Nukem Forever, plays that MAXED OUT. A good value.

Also to demonstrate how much I have saved:

Cost of new PC: $525
Amount saved: $446
Games: 27
Cost After: $79

I've purchased 27 multi-platform games -- games that are available on consoles or handhelds -- and I saved $446 on said games during Steam sales or whatever vs. whichever version of the game for consoles was cheapest on Amazon (360 or PS3). Is it exact? No, but I've kept track because I wanted to see if I was actually saving money and this gen I've purchased 100% of my console games from Amazon, or gotten them off Goozex via trades. Bottom line? I saved money.

The 3DS has crap graphics, a terrible list of childish games and remakes and nothing impressive to anyone that wants a mature gaming experience with a game that doesnt involve pets, mario or anything decent.

delta25

Banned
The 3DS has crap graphics, a terrible list of childish games and remakes and nothing impressive to anyone that wants a mature gaming experience with a game that doesnt involve pets, mario or anything decent.

If saying that makes your Vita purchase better justified, than all the power to ya.

;)

jimi_dini

I quite liked Damnation. It has a bunch of issues, but I really like the scale of the maps and the overall theme.

Only bought it because of the CGR review (1). Mark said it reminded him of Galaxy Rangers. This hit my nerve. Everyone else said it got them cancer. Since that day CGR reviews >>>>> any other reviews.

(1) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBOhPZPAYeA

Sonic games have never been good, and the only reason why people like them are because they owned a Sega system in the past (and they justified Sonic as a good game to make them feel better about owning a crappy, inferior system), or because they are weird freaks who are sexually attractive to animals.

Kuran

Banned
I think NeoGAF is infested with paid console trolls. There, I said it.

Back on the topic of Duke Nukem Forever, I've been playing for a bit, and I just entered the hive. So far, while I recognize that DNF isn't as well designed, I've been having more fun with it than I did with the first Half-Life.

I hear the Hive is awful, we'll see how I feel about this in a bit.

Your avatar, it's beautiful.

Sonic games have never been good, and the only reason why people like them are because they owned a Sega system in the past (and they justified Sonic as a good game to make them feel better about owning a crappy, inferior system), or because they are weird freaks who are sexually attractive to animals.

What? Never played Sonic 1 or 2, did you?

catabarez

wut

Dude, play the first 3. Seriously.

Combichristoffersen

The Master System had overall better hardware than the NES, the Mega Drive had a noticeably better CPU than the SNES (although the SNES had a better sound chip, supported more colours on screen, and supported stuff like the FX chip) and the Game Gear had better hardware than the Game Boy (but ate batteries like there was no tomorrow). How exactly were the systems inferior to Nintendo's offerings, besides the lack of third party support?
Sonic 8-bit/16-bit > Any Mario game

People were hating on Duke Nukem for being misogynistic?

Yeah. I can see why some people who might be unfamiliar with Duke's persona and Duke 3D might find that specific level offensive, but personally I didn't care, as it was really just business as usual for Duke. Duke 3D also had women you could blow up, and I can't really remember anyone crying about those poor virtual women back then (people cried more about the violence in Duke 3D than about those poor, poor pixellated women).

Ghost23

I believe the Vita is going to be as big a failure as the PSP. Sony just doesn't know how to work with the handheld market.

Derrick01

Banned

I agree with the first part at least, I've never played a good Sonic game and I've only played the Genesis ones. Then again I hated my Genesis as a kid and much preferred my SNES which was, sadly, at my mom's house where I only went about 2-3 days of the week. But those 2-3 days a week were gaming bliss for me.

Murrah

Banned

Oh so now you have to be a weird freak for animals to find you sexy huh

delta25

Banned
That's solely inane.

If Angry birds and Gameloft ripoffs are your thing, well...Ummmm yeaaaaah

bill-lumbergh-office-space.jpg

qq more

This is my opinion:

People who think the PS3 controller is superior to the xbox 360 controller are blatant fanboys or exclusive 2D fighters.)
This makes absolutely no sense at all.

I like the PS3 controller more because it has a GOOD D-Pad. Something the 360 terribly lacks. (Seriously, it has the worst D-Pad I've ever used). This isn't to say the 360 controller itself is bad, but I prefer the PS3 controller over it any day.

And no, I'm not a fanboy. I'm not even a huge Sony fan at all. :l

brianmcdoogle said:
Hahahaha. Wow, another ridiculous post. I own BOTH the SNES and Genesis as a kid (hell I even owned a NES) and I played the hell out of both Mario and Sonic in my childhood. So I have absolutely no reason to "feel better" about owning an "inferior" system. Although I do agree SNES is better than Genesis, but the Genesis is still a damn good system to this day. (Gunstar Heroes and Dynamite Headdy are great games)

And are you seriously pulling that "YOU LIKE SONIC YOU MUST BE A FURRY" card? Holy shit. lol

sykoex

Lost all credibility.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_JDnDfoI4uOo/TSsooTOi8PI/AAAAAAAAAIk/JHmfJ2mLofc/s1600/bill-lumbergh-office-space.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

There are actually lots of unique games on iOS. But I could understand if you just had something against touch controls.

TaroYamada

That's... Ridiculous, sorry, I grew up a Nintendo fanboy but going back Sonic 1, 2, 3&K all had some of the best level design ever seen in a 2D platformer. I love how games that provide choice today are lauded but that it's somehow different with Sonic titles, they gave you branching paths long before most games were even considering such things. Furthermore the paths actually altered how the game played, albeit in a subtle manner; Upper paths were faster but harder to stay on while lower paths were easier to stay on but slower and generally had more enemy confrontations.

The Master System had overall better hardware than the NES, the Mega Drive had a noticeably better CPU than the SNES (although the SNES had a better sound chip, supported more colours on screen, and supported stuff like the FX chip) and the Game Gear had better hardware than the Game Boy (but ate batteries like there was no tomorrow). How exactly were the systems inferior to Nintendo's offerings, besides the lack of third party support?
Sonic 8-bit/16-bit > Any Mario game

Saturn also put N64's 2D efforts to shame, but it was weaker hardware. Also Genesis had some pretty solid 3rd parties, I wouldn't say it flat out lacked it considering some of the best games of that generation are 3rd party games on the Genesis, chiefly Treasure's stuff, and for the era EA's support was pretty important in the US.

Agree with you 100%, at least on the 16 bit titles, hands down Sonic 1-3K > Super Mario World.

Melchiah

IMO, a well-designed 3D game doesn't require that much camera manipulation.

You don't play a lot of FPS games, do you?

A6w2i.png

That's how I hold them both, both fine for me. PS3 feels a little more natural, maybe that's just because I've used them since PS1 days.

This. The PS3 layout feels more natural to my hands as well. After longer gaming sessions with the Xbox controller, I've noticed that my fingers get sore due to the concave design of the sticks, and the convex design of the ABXY buttons. Flat buttons and convex sticks are better for me personally. The only thing I dislike about the PS3 controller is the lower shoulder buttons.

Kerub

Banned
Hello Gaf! Here are some of my opinions that you might not like.

• Super Mario Land is the best 2d mario title
  • Wii is the best console this generation, with mario galaxy games, perfect gamecube backwards compability and a tiny and quiet design
  • 360 gets second place because of Halo and tons of XBLA games
  • I like all the "dudebro" shooters. For example, I enjoyed the campaign in Medal of Honor, MW3 and BF3
  • I think metroid prime 3 was a VERY good game, one of the best this generation

Please don't kill me.

qq more

Hello Gaf! Here are some of my opinions that you might not like.

• Super Mario Land is the best 2d mario title
  • Wii is the best console this generation, with mario galaxy games, perfect gamecube backwards compability and a tiny and quiet design
  • 360 gets second place because of Halo and tons of XBLA games
  • I like all the "dudebro" shooters. For example, I enjoyed the campaign in Medal of Honor, MW3 and BF3
  • I think metroid prime 3 was a VERY good game, one of the best this generation

Please don't kill me.

Huh? Anyone actually agreed SML is the best 2D Mario. Or did you mean its sequel?

(Also the Wii is too my favorite system this gen. I love old school games. <3 Platformer revival)

Kerub

Banned
Huh? Anyone actually agreed SML is the best 2D Mario. Or did you mean its sequel?

(Also the Wii is too my favorite system this gen. I love old school games. <3 Platformer revival)

No, the first one! Can't put my finger on exactly what it is about it though. I just have fun playing it. Wish it was longer.

qq more

No, the first one! Can't put my finger on exactly what it is about it though. I just have fun playing it. Wish it was longer.

Oh wait, I've misread you. I thought you said you don't think it's the best 2D Mario. lol

My bad.

And yeah, it's a pretty cool game. Controls feels a little stiff. But I like how different the game is otherwise, especially how the game starts off with a desert world.

Combichristoffersen

Saturn also put N64's 2D efforts to shame, but it was weaker hardware. Also Genesis had some pretty solid 3rd parties, I wouldn't say it flat out lacked it considering some of the best games of that generation are 3rd party games on the Genesis, chiefly Treasure's stuff, and for the era EA's support was pretty important in the US.

Agree with you 100%, at least on the 16 bit titles, hands down Sonic 1-3K > Super Mario World.

Saturn had the best 2D hardware of its generation, but its 3D abilites were generally not all that great. As for the Genesis, it had some great third party games, but it was still lacking in numbers compared to the SNES.
I've never liked SMW very much, always thought it was a rushed, boring rehash of SMB3 (which is a vastly superior game)

Kerub

Banned
MP3 is well loved, can't imagine anyone finding that controversial. The other two were better though.

Hm, I've seen a bit of hate against it. Maybe not on GAF though.

But I've read that it's mediocre. Which it is not, IMO as somebody who loves that type of games. :p

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Master of Darkness for Master System feels the void where Castlevania 2 failed.

Tetrisphere is the best Tetris.

Yep, iOS only has those.

Bejewelled and Call of Duty rip-offs only, Xbox 360 is a terrible system.
Angry Birds and stealth rip-offs only, PS3 is rubbish.
Tetris and Wii Sports rip-offs only, Wii is horrible.
Bust-A-Move and platformer rip-offs, SNES isn't even worth counting.
PC only has Chess and Solitaire games!
PS1 is Mary Kate and Ashly Olsen only system.
PS2 is only for Mahjong.
Home Pong was only for Pong.

Shame no other games exist for all of those. We have so few games on any consoles. /sarcasm

My opinion is that it's silly to ignore titles and games to justify disliking a system. We can do better than that, have more fun in discussions or at least better jokes.

Oh I know, there are a few gems on iOS but overall its not my cup of tea.

That's fine though.

Lair was better than what most people said, pre-patch.

I never really understood the bile people threw at it. Aye it wasn't that great of a game and had it's problems, but it was still playable and would have been enjoyed I believe amongst the PS2 library as an average game. Unlike Genji, which was truly terrible and deserved more bile.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 has a great soundtrack. Future games should also attempt vocals and mixing things up. Having boring sounding music is what Western games do.

• I find Skyrim to be incredibly boring. I've tried to start playing the PC version 3 times now, and all three times I stop when I get to Whiterun and end up switching to another game. I think I'm just tired of these overrated Bethesda games.
  • On the flip-side, I enjoy "dudebro" games like the guy a few posts above. Halo, CoD, Gears, etc. I also thought the BF3 Single Player campaign was really good. What can I say? I'm a sucker for set pieces and action.
  • I firmly believe that the Metal Gear Solid timeline is the best in all of gaming. Compelling stuff once you wrap your head around it all. I usually end up marathoning the MGS games in chronological order every couple of years to relive it all. Great stuff.
  • I consider my launch Wii to be the worst gaming purchase I ever made.
  • SSX Tricky is complete garbage compared to SSX 3.
  • I have zero problems with Games For Windows Live. I've never run into any issues with games that used it, and I like being able to interact with my Xbox Live friends while I am gaming on my PC.

Antioch

Assassin's Creed 1 is superior to 2 in many aspects

Metroid Prime 2 is the best in the series

SSBB is the best in the series

Bioshock 2 was better than 1

Pokemon Emerald is the best one

Comet

It's less an opinion and more of a sad gamer secret:

I have a sealed copy of Valkyria Chronicles, sealed because I didn't want to open it since it didn't have trophies. And I lie to myself and friends that it's sealed because I wanted it that way for the collector's value... (I do collect though).

Top Bottom