• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare might not be forced to make Kinect games but anything else gets canned

Elchele

One Perfect Dark since MS bought Rare is still terrible, same with Banjo.

The fact theyve bought back Killer Instinct is the reason why I have hope, MS will do more with Rares old IP this gen, so I will give them credit for that.

Viva Piñata was great, tho.

-MD-

Anyone that says PDZ's multiplayer was bad is either.

1. On powerful drugs
2. Terrible at the game

I'll agree it hasn't aged well but at launch it was fantastic.

Nicktendo86

The fact theyve bought back Killer Instinct is the reason why I have hope, MS will do more with Rares old IP this gen, so I will give them credit for that.
It wasn't even a real banjo game. I am almost over it now, but it is still such a shame to see what rare have become. And I blame Microsoft.

Anyone that says PDZ's multiplayer was bad is either.

1. On powerful drugs
2. Terrible at the game

I'll agree it hasn't aged well but at launch it was fantastic.

It is still the most fully featured mp ever on consoles. I loved it so much, it was so sad when people stopped playing it.

It wasn't even a real banjo game. I am almost over it now, but it is still such a shame to see what rare have become. And I blame Microsoft.
Banjo N&B is a better game than people give them credit for. It was a novel idea, to combine a 3d platformer with a kart racer. Some aspects worked, some didn't but the experience as a whole was solid.

Sydle

After seeing a Perfect Dark that was in development for 5 years bomb would you be comfortable letting Rare go at it again?

Same with Banjo.

Rare were clearly out of touch with what gamers wanted, so it's really no wonder MS got as involved as they did.

The IP is all still there. They just need the right talent to resurrect them.

Hale-XF11

Pretty surprised to see that none of those ideas are 3D platformers. Some good ideas though. Certainly more interesting than any Kinect Sports title.

Sponge

Banned
Banjo N&B is a better game than people give them credit for. It was a novel idea, to combine a 3d platformer with a kart racer. Some aspects worked, some didn't but the experience as a whole was solid.

It's a good game, but it's a game nobody wanted. A true Banjo platformer would have been better for everyone.

Isn't the former team all over the place now? Iirc, they all left at different times, each ending up elsewhere.
Probably, I don't know specifically.

I would assume many of the prototypes are attributed to specific individuals and if they believed in the idea, they should be shopping it around.

Kameo 2 should happen, but it should also not happen in that style.
Truth. Very truth.

Let's be honest here, if Rare had made three Perfect Darks and three Banjos under MS, everyone would hate MS for not letting Rare experiment.

Obviously people attached to those IPs may have been happy, but I don't know if the people are Rare wanted to just live off their old ideas either.

SMZC

I have just a tiny little hunch that you probably don't have the same "moral standing" regarding games that are PlayStation exclusive or regarding the studios Sony send out to Eye/Move/Wonderbook development.

It's one thing to fund and help create a game that wouldn't exist otherwise if it weren't for the money that you put into it (for the record, I know this is exactly the case for Dead Rising 3, so you won't hear me bitching about that exclusive). A completely different thing is to pay a publisher, not to help make a game, or even to make it better in any way; but to keep fans of your competitor from being able to PLAY a game that was already being made. It's a disgusting tactic no matter who does it; one which does nothing but harm us gamers.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Sony is not into the habit of doing this at all. I mean, it's stupid idea and a waste of money, so why would they anyway?

Caayn

I still want Kameo 2 and a real Banjo 3 you bastards :mad:
One day.... one day we will. Grunty won't break her promise right, right?
Kameo 2 should happen, but it should also not happen in that style.
Jup. Although that style looks good, it doesn't fit the theme set by Kameo: EoP. Was kinda hoping that Kameo 2 would make an appearance as a Xbox One launch title, just like the first Kameo did with the 360.

Hindle

Banned
Probably, I don't know specifically.

I would assume many of the prototypes are attributed to specific individuals and if they believed in the idea, they should be shopping it around.

Truth. Very truth.

Let's be honest here, if Rare had made three Perfect Darks and three Banjos under MS, everyone would hate MS for not letting Rare experiment.

Obviously people attached to those IPs may have been happy, but I don't know if the people are Rare wanted to just live off their old ideas either.

Only fanboys from Sony would have complained. The fans of Nintendo and MS would have been happy. Ultimately, the studio Probabily did what was best for its future, Kinect Sports was a massive success after-all. It's still a bitter pill to take though.

What a stupid waste of money this was. I wish Nintendo held onto some of their IP's at the very least.
Eh, Nintendo is better off without Rare's cavalcade of google eyes.

Perfect Dark MIGHT have been okay to hang onto, but it's not like it's carried on a great legacy since.

I did really like raver Joanna's design though. Come at me.

Sydle

Jup. Although that style looks good, it doesn't fit the theme set by Kameo: EoP. Was kinda hoping that Kameo 2 would make an appearance as a Xbox One launch title, just like the first Kameo did with the 360.

And how it made an appearance on the Gamecube box for launch...looking completely different than it turned out several years later.

I'd like another Kameo, but one from a team that has a vision and the aptitude to execute it within a reasonable timeframe. Same with Perfect Dark, I can't remember how many times it was redesigned.

Hindle

Banned
After seeing a Perfect Dark that was in development for 5 years bomb would you be comfortable letting Rare go at it again?

Same with Banjo.

Rare were clearly out of touch with what gamers wanted, so it's really no wonder MS got as involved as they did.

The IP is all still there. They just need the right talent to resurrect them.

To be fair, PDZ suffered from development hell that spanned 3 consoles. A more refined, more efficient approach would be better for a sequel.

Only fanboys from Sony would have complained. The fans of Nintendo and MS would have been happy. Ultimately, the studio Probabily did what was best for its future, Kinect Sports was a massive success after-all. It's still a bitter pill to take though.
Sony fans would have won in that scenario, personal opinion.

I was never a Rare fan, as I stated before, but I kind of liked seeing what they did in their early 360 days.

I was actually really hoping they would have done more XBLA remakes of the Speccy games after playing Jetpac Reloaded.

akira28

"Rare's first Kinect project was Kinect Sports, released in November 2010. Despite average reviews,[24] the game was a commercial success, selling three million units as of May 2011."

Can you tell me which of the above games were likely to sell 3 million copies on XBox 360? I mean, if we're talking about survival here, we have to talk about dollars and cents.

Now, if you mean survive creatively, whatever, but if studios did what people on this forum wanted, even more of them would be bankrupt.

I was actually being a bit facetious, exaggerating on the proposed solution. Microsoft needs to become the example of what not to do. Gaming is not going to be killed by Microsoft's misdeeds and ownership/production shenanigans. They have a MO of swinging heavy and hitting hard with their massive wallets, and there's a wikipedia article out there that lists all of the companies that MS has engulfed over the decades.

But there are consequences, when you treat a market that relies on creativity and artistry as resources as if you were a shark, or an accountant, instead of a farmer. These last two generations have been defined by Microsoft, and they have changed the game, literally. And things have always been about dollars and cents, but now so much cash is involved, the Cthonic forces of the free market are coming in and flooding all the villages out. They're flooding them out with their enthusiasm for their new digital hula hoop that they spent way too much money on in their haste to out do motion controls and Sony. And all the Ballmers in the world hopping up and down on all the stages in the world won't sell something that people don't want.

They can take their grand strategies and focus their corporate resources into pushing and developing content for their new misunderstood toy, but their sacrificing and bloodletting is having a negative effect, even if it does raise some unholy union between magic and technology just in time for Xmas, with their new Kinect 2.0. More people are getting interested in gaming, and more people are losing interest in gaming. I don't call that a success, but as long as they are making profits, they would. That's the disconnect, and that will eventually harm gaming. Which is why people who follow that mindset, it's good if they get burned badly so others don't repeat. And it's even better when they burn themselves.

If I have a point about creativity, then that is the point. We don't play games to count up ones and zeros. So you don't enter into a creative market and nerve staple everyone into becoming AAA generating drones.

At this point, the IPs that people care about are at hostage.
I know people have very fond memories of the N64, but I don't think there is any value left in those IPs.

They're using Killer Instinct now because of the fighting game boom, so there's that.

Perfect Dark MAY be salvageable, but the FPS market is already pretty saturated.

Banjo is just a product of his time. He was kind of passed his time when he started, to be honest.

Blast Corps or Jet Force Gemini could probably be revived as XBLA style games, but do people really care about these names for them to bother?

Caayn

And how it made an appearance on the Gamecube box for launch...looking completely different than it turned out several years later.
My bad, should have said "launching" instead of "make an appearance". Kameo 2 would have been an amazing title to launch with. Sadly, still nothing in sight :(

Sydle

My bad, should have said "launching" instead of "make an appearance". Kameo 2 would have been an amazing title to launch with. Sadly, still nothing in sight :(

Up against Ryse, I think most people would pick Ryse and Kameo 2 would bomb. Might be cool to rotate them for yearly releases though.

What's surprising to me is that they haven't resurrected JFG and it wasn't anywhere on that list. It has weapons, space, and aliens. Sci-fi is in demand. They could have a lot of fun with that IP and it would likely do well if the MP turned out great.

Alx

It's a good game, but it's a game nobody wanted. A true Banjo platformer would have been better for everyone.

I think it's much rewarding for developers and gamers alike to create new types of games, instead of rehashing the same concepts over and over. Other studios are often criticized for being one-trick-ponies, I don't consider it a bad thing to see Rare (or other studios) produce very different games.
Of course it's easier for me to say that when I wasn't especially fond of older Rare games, and preferred some of their newer productions. But a big part of the criticism of the current Rare is more based on nostalgia than anything.
Besides, I'm not sure MS is the only one to blame for the changes in Rare. After all, how many studios that were at the top of their game in the N64 days still have the same level of success now ? People move on, companies change, trends change...

Sponge

Banned
I think it's much rewarding for developers and gamers alike to create new types of games, instead of rehashing the same concepts over and over..

I can understand that. However for a game like Banjo-Threeie, which we waited nearly a decade for, it wasn't that smart to not only change the designs but the gameplay too. It was a huge risk that didn't work out for either Rare or Microsoft.

Sydle

I think it's much rewarding for developers and gamers alike to create new types of games, instead of rehashing the same concepts over and over. Other studios are often criticized for being one-trick-ponies, I don't consider it a bad thing to see Rare (or other studios) produce very different games.
Of course it's easier for me to say that when I wasn't especially fond of older Rare games, and preferred some of their newer productions. But a big part of the criticism of the current Rare is more based on nostalgia than anything.
Besides, I'm not sure MS is the only one to blame for the changes in Rare. After all, how many studios that were at the top of their game in the N64 days still have the same level of success now ? People move on, companies change, trends change...

Red flags should have gone off when they had to remove Kazooie's moves. It was misplaced use of the vehicle building concept. Probably would have been better received as a XBLA spin-off AFTER a proper BK3 that everyone really wanted.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The change in direction from their early 360 games to Avatar work followed up by a Wii Sports clone is hard to justify as a period of creative freedom in my eyes. It's not something that happened overnight sure, but all the important folks that have left the studio over the years is rather telling.

Microsoft had Rare put out several titles in a row that I think are all in line with their Ninty days wheelhouse

PDZ, Kameo, Viva Pinata.

None of them set the world on fire.

I think absolving Rare of all blame in this situation is a little short sighted considering MS was getting good development out of other studios (FASA, Bungie, Lionhead) at the same time. Kameo was a decent game, PDZ was pretty bad, and Viva Pinata was great. None of them found an audience wiht MS's audience and none of those titles seemed to help MS make headway with traditional Nintendo gamers.

I think there was a talent vaccum at Rare that led MS down the path they did with pulling them off of high profile projects with giant budgets.

They seem to be re-investing in the team now to try and build it back out.

a lot of those ideas seem really bad
I always liked sabreman... but BANJO kazoomie?????
That just tells me rare had wanted to wreck banjo since 2004

Anyone posted the obligatory image yet?

the_boot_of_business_by_jollyjack-d34v1pb.jpg

Salz01

It's one of the reasons I can't get behind a Microsoft product like Xbox anymore. But even if they did make a game, isn't most of the talent from the old days already gone? It would just be a game with the Rare logo, if they made anything today. And I mean outside of Kinect stuff.

This.

Hate to say it but eventually all studios turn to crap. Naughty Dog, Bungie, Platinum, they will all eventually stop putting out games people want.

Proof that Rare is still great. Those concepts are great but i wish kameo didn't have her look like that or PD2 with those big bots. But dam aww so much creativity is there and we cant see it release : (

oneils

Would MS really have cancelled all of these projects or would have it been Rare management that decided not to take them to MS for consideration? How does that work, exactly?

So...let me see if I got this right. MS acquires Rare and Rare put out multiple games in the Rare style. None of the games catch on.....indeed.apparently none of the games even cross the 500k mark in sales. Rare gets to do a kinect game and move over 3 million units

Yet Rare and MS are at fault for ignoring the gamer audience by making a sequel to the Kinect stuff instead of working on another pre kinect game? Eh...going by sales, Rare (and MS) is actually listening to the gaming crowd by actually producing content that people want. I mean, it seems weird that people complain about Rare and MS ignoring gamers when the games "gamers" want are produced don't sell.

I think absolving Rare of all blame in this situation is a little short sighted considering MS was getting good development out of other studios (FASA, Bungie, Lionhead) at the same time. Kameo was a decent game, PDZ was pretty bad, and Viva Pinata was great. None of them found an audience wiht MS's audience and none of those titles seemed to help MS make headway with traditional Nintendo gamers.

I think there was a talent vaccum at Rare that led MS down the path they did with pulling them off of high profile projects with giant budgets.

They seem to be re-investing in the team now to try and build it back out.

I think this is pretty spot on. People should be happy that the company has found a good niche in Kinect games to keep the studio viable. With a few good hires and the wealth of IP they have, they could be back to releasing great games in no time.

This.

Hate to say it but eventually all studios turn to crap. Naughty Dog, Bungie, Platinum, they will all eventually stop putting out games people want.

Naughty Dog already changed focus, they just did it successfully. They went from blockbuster platformers to blockbuster 3rd person shooters. They just kept current.

I would trust Perfect Dark in the hands of a studio like Starbreeze. Since they outsourced KI with great success, that might be a great idea...

Hale-XF11

I'm not too bothered by the omission of ideas created by Chris Seavor since he's no longer there and hasn't been for some time and is currently creating a game for the 3DS (which looks delectably charming btw).

Top Bottom