• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

watdaeff4

This collection has been amazing.

I've only been playing snapshots and a half dozen of the pre-N64 games and already have over 20 hours clocked into this.

The time played/cost value of this collection is tremendous.

Between this, Gears (since it's basically a collection by years-end), and MCC (even for SP only) Microsoft has been killing it with these bundles.

Thinking of tackling either Kameo, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, or one of the Viva Pinatas next. Any suggestions?

Can the first VP be skipped to go directly to TiP?

The Argus

Playing Conker again and really feeling shitty about my gaming atrophy. It wasn't easy when it came out, but it definitely didn't take as many tries and raise my blood pressure as much as it does now.

SimonM7

For those who have played Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, are there any shades of good ol' BK gameplay or is it entirely around building the vehicles?

This old trailer was such a tease, I was so pissed when the vehicle building thing became the central gimmick. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLWLdO9GLWM

It really is a different game. Going into it expecting it to play like Banjo Kazooie will be a let down. Approach it as a new game starring some familiar and likeable faces.

Drago

For those who have played Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, are there any shades of good ol' BK gameplay or is it entirely around building the vehicles?
You can walk around on foot but the main form of transportation and gameplay is vehicle and creation based. You kinda just have to take it at face value and try to enjoy it for what it is and not what it isn't.

The hub world plays like a pretty traditional Banjo level, and the worlds themselves have lots of notes to collect and a few secret items and Jinjos, but overall the gameplay is so different it's indistinguishable. However, I feel like the art and music feels like it never left, and I loved the gameplay at the time I played it because building shit was so fun.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Finished Conker yesterday. It's also the first game that I streamed from beginning to end in a couple of sessions. It was a lot of fun. Really like the humor. That ending is already one of my favourites in gaming.

Next game to complete: Banjo Kazooie

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just finished Battletoads Arcade. I now have all the stamps for all of the pre N64 titles. Working on the playlists now. Beat the first two without too much trouble.

bumpkin

It really is a different game. Going into it expecting it to play like Banjo Kazooie will be a let down. Approach it as a new game starring some familiar and likeable faces.
You can walk around on foot but the main form of transportation and gameplay is vehicle and creation based. You kinda just have to take it at face value and try to enjoy it for what it is and not what it isn't.
The main hub world is nice to explore... I wish there was more of that. I still did enjoy the game.
The hub world plays like a pretty traditional Banjo level, and the worlds themselves have lots of notes to collect and a few secret items and Jinjos, but overall the gameplay is so different it's indistinguishable. However, I feel like the art and music feels like it never left, and I loved the gameplay at the time I played it because building shit was so fun.
Thanks for the replies and the info. I suppose I can give it a whirl. It's not like it's really a win-or-lose scenario in the sense that it's part of the game full of other games I already enjoy. Worst case, it sucks. Best case, I think it's awesome.

I vaguely remember playing the demo and finding the look and feel of charming and familiar, I just don't recall being crazy about the vehicle aspect. It could be that the demo also just sort of dumped me into some random point in the game instead of me having ramped up, taught the ropes and so on.

it helps that a lot of the levels are still genuinely fun to explore, there's a lot to see to them, I'd say a lot to do but the missions for the game do get kind of repetitive.

that first level alone, seeing how all the pieces of it are put together. Banjoland later, the computer level. Really the only dud is terrarium and even then it's fine. Each stage still has plenty of love put into it even if you aren't hopping along platform to platform to see it~

I was really enjoying Jet Force Gemini until what I thought was the end turned into the halfway point. Now its a bit of a drag and I can't find all of these Tribals without a walkthrough snapped onto my screen...

Kinsei

Banned
Thinking of tackling either Kameo, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, or one of the Viva Pinatas next. Any suggestions?

Can the first VP be skipped to go directly to TiP?

Kameo is fun and VP is amazing.

You can skip VP, but if you're trying to get every stamp it would be frustrating to go back to after TiP.

thenexus6

COFXPlfWUAIW_qg.jpg

I didn't know that peter molyneux was in Perfect Dark

ghibli99

It took me a while, but I finally finished Underwurlde's snapshots. Holy crap, those last two nearly made me snap a controller... but these things are expensive. LOL

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Can you collect all the tribals as you go in JFG? Like from the beginning?

There are some levels that you can't get all of the Tribals on on your first run. A lot of areas you need to be using a certain character or need to have a certain item to get them all. You need to get to a certain point in the game before you can use any character on any level, and you often need to come back to certain levels after you get items from other levels.

Raptomex

There are some levels that you can't get all of the Tribals on on your first run. A lot of areas you need to be using a certain character or need to have a certain item to get them all. You need to get to a certain point in the game before you can use any character on any level, and you often need to come back to certain levels after you get items from other levels.
Ok that's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you.

Doukou

Is there any way to fully delete your viva pinata save, I want to start from scratch. Deleting reserved space did nothing.

I was really enjoying Jet Force Gemini until what I thought was the end turned into the halfway point. Now its a bit of a drag and I can't find all of these Tribals without a walkthrough snapped onto my screen...

Yup. I have played up to that point at least 3 times and stopped. Gonna force myself to collect all of the darn things, but will use a walk through because I don't wanna waste my time. I'm too old for that crap.

Game is so good aside from that.

The stupid thing is it seems like a side quest until you reach that part that pulls a gandalf, "you shall not pass!"

Mr White

Finally beat Battletoads. Didn't remember Clinger winger been that hard. Maybe Xbox One D-pad isn't that good.
I can't play Conker more than one hour because of bad framrate. Was it that bad on N64?

illusionary

Poor illusionary doesn't know what's comin' :p

Just remember, we're here for you.

I finally beat Conker's BFD last night - I see now what you were getting at! I didn't really get on with the shooter sections that become quite prevalent in those last few chapters, and there were certainly a few other frustrating parts to come after lava surfing (pushing the TNT guy comes to mind, as do the lasers in It's War and that final boss) - though nothing that I found as bad as that part. As a whole I think I'd put the value of the game for me down more as an 'experience' rather than being about the gameplay - but all in all I'm glad to have played it.

I'll be taking a brief break from Rare Replay to give Grow Home a shot on PS4, but after that I think I'll be back for a replay of Banjo-Kazooie next.

daTRUballin

I finally beat Conker's BFD last night - I see now what you were getting at! I didn't really get on with the shooter sections that become quite prevalent in those last few chapters, and there were certainly a few other frustrating parts to come after lava surfing (pushing the TNT guy comes to mind, as do the lasers in It's War and that final boss) - though nothing that I found as bad as that part. As a whole I think I'd put the value of the game for me down more as an 'experience' rather than being about the gameplay - but all in all I'm glad to have played it.

I'll be taking a brief break from Rare Replay to give Grow Home a shot on PS4, but after that I think I'll be back for a replay of Banjo-Kazooie next.

Hahahaha! I knew you would eventually post your impressions on the last few chapters. :p

I have yet to actually play the game myself properly. I watched a bunch of playthroughs of it on Youtube, but I haven't played the full game properly. I only played the first chapter or something when I was a kid, and even then it wasn't even my copy of the game. My stepbrother and I were borrowing it from a neighbor. I think I also played a bit of the multiplayer as well.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the game though. :p

illusionary

Hahahaha! I knew you would eventually post your impressions on the last few chapters. :p

I have yet to actually play the game myself properly. I watched a bunch of playthroughs of it on Youtube, but I haven't played the full game properly. I only played the first chapter or something when I was a kid, and even then it wasn't even my copy of the game. My stepbrother and I were borrowing it from a neighbor. I think I also played a bit of the multiplayer as well.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the game though. :p

Well, the two of you were rather asking for it. :p you really ought to play it through yourself now, you know!

daTRUballin

Well, the two of you were rather asking for it. :p you really ought to play it through yourself now, you know!

If I ever play the game myself, it'll probably be the actual N64 version. I don't own an Xbox One (and I probably won't have one for awhile, if ever), so I obviously can't play Rare Replay. I'll probably buy it someday for my old N64. :p

So I finally finished Banjo Tooie yesterday (after my completion of Banjo Kazooie). I had only rented it on its initial run and never made it past GGM (interestingly enough the only Rare game of the N64 era that I didnt play to completeion). My verdict on it is its really not a great game. Banjo Kazooie is such a better package so much better designed IMO. I loved every bit of BK except for parts of the last world and the final boss. Banjo Tooie on the other hand does some cool things but in the end it really showed no respect for my time. I sort of liked the fact that it had all these big worlds that they linked together and quests in one world effected quests in another world but at the same time I really appreciated that I can walk into a world in Banjo Kazooie and realize I can complete it 100% without having to come back to it.

My first big complaint is that there was too many instances in Banjo Tooie where I didn't think I could do something so I stopped trying to do it (when in fact I was just doing wrong ie. using the TNT in GGM) and there was instances where I wasted a whole bunch of time trying to figure something out when the solution was in a different world. There were several instances of this happening throughout the game and it was frustrating to come back to an area only to find out that I had the tools all along to get the job done but didn't because the game did a poor job of showing what could and couldn't be done.

My second big complaint revolves around switching characters or splitting up for little to no reason other then to make something that you've basically already figured out take that much longer. The worst case example of this and the point that really had my blood boiling was the mission where you had to revive the alien and then find his children... It wasn't enough that you had to switch to Mumbo, and then revive the alien, when tasked to find the all the children you have to break the ice as B&K and then when you get to one of the children aliens it is also dead requiring you to get Mumbo AGAIN and then revive him only to turn back into B&K to get him back to his Dad. I can
t remember ever being more annoyed with a game then I was at that point. As a player I had figured out the solution to the puzzle and instead of rewarding me jump through a million pointless and unenjoyable hoops to receive my prize.

Finally the game stepped away from the enjoyable platforming and filled the game with a bunch of pretty badly designed minigames. Now don't get me wrong here the combination of platforming and minigames in BK really helped to mix the game up and provide an enjoyable experience from beginning to end but in this case most of the platforming is non existant and we are left with these poor and for the most part incredibly easy mini-games.

Honestly if my son wasn't begging me to play it all the time I would have quit after the Jolly Roger Lagoon. I'm now going through B&K N&B and interestingly enough it feels like a natural evolution from BK to BT to N&B as it virtually eliminates the platforming and relys on what I look at as a series of minigames where you craft a vehicle to perform the minigame. It's actually a pretty brilliant game,but I remember on my initial playthrough feeling the same way but I hit a wall at one point where the amount of time I spent crafting vehicles to do the missions took far too much time and ending up giving up... Time will tell if I hit that wall again. Having said that this game is really something special from a graphics and sound perspective from the beautiful designed Hub world, to the wonderfully designed mini-world (I could spend hours just exploring nutty acres and banjoland) to the great OST. Too bad it runs like complete shit.

On a side note I really remember enjoying DK64 when I was growing up and I've heard that DK64 was the true evolution of some of the stuff they did in BT... I guess I just had more time and tolerance for stuff like this back then.

Camjo-Z

On a side note I really remember enjoying DK64 when I was growing up and I've heard that DK64 was the true evolution of some of the stuff they did in BT... I guess I just had more time and tolerance for stuff like this back then.

DK64 actually came out before B-T and it really shows. Some of the annoying things Tooie does (huge worlds that need teleporters to get around, character switching tomfoolery, loads of minigames) are done with even less finesse in DK64 (teleporters are numbered rather than properly labeled, 5 characters with 5 sets of collectibles, loads of worse minigames). If you found B-T to be a chore then your love of DK64 is probably nostalgia.

I purchased this from the Microsoft store for that $15 gift card, or whatever. Still haven't seen the damn thing. How do you redeem this?

EDIT: Nevermind - I have it.

maximrace

So is there a reason why I should continue playing jet force gemini? It's akward to play and really dated, seems like a big grind too replaying everything to get all the tribals and parts

Mr White

So is there a reason why I should continue playing jet force gemini? It's akward to play and really dated, seems like a big grind too replaying everything to get all the tribals and parts

Yeah, sadly it didn't catch my as banjo or conker did.
Fun observation: the second playthrough of Conker is more enjoyable than first (well, for me ofcourse) since I know exactly where to go and don't wander around... aimlessly

Found this at Best Buy the other day for $10 off, between that and GCU benefits I got it for $12. And I just got an Xbox One today, so I've been messing around with it a bit.

RC Pro Am is surprisingly addictive.

First time giving NES Battletoads a real shot. Thank god for the rewind function - there is no way I would have the patience to beat that hoverbike level legitimately.

Wow, they really want to make you hate Grabbed by the Ghoulies by the end of it. For those of you who have beaten it,
what in the Tuck Everlasting fuck is up with the stupid race at the end? Who thought this would be fun? The only thing worse than putting timers on specific rooms is putting a 13 minute timer on an entire chapter. What the fuck.

Camjo-Z

Wow, they really want to make you hate Grabbed by the Ghoulies by the end of it. For those of you who have beaten it,
what in the Tuck Everlasting fuck is up with the stupid race at the end? Who thought this would be fun? The only thing worse than putting timers on specific rooms is putting a 13 minute timer on an entire chapter. What the fuck.

That part isn't hard at all though. As long as you don't waste time searching for Bonus Books (which you can go back for later in the chapter select) you can easily beat it with time to spare.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Been trying to clean up the last Killer Instinct milestones. Just need the Ultra Combos and the last stage that requires a second controller. Figured I'd just keep redoing the first Arcade fight to get Ultras off. Successfully did it on my first try, then for the next hour it just refused to fucking work even though I was inputting it perfectly. Think I'll just wait until I can access a second controller.

Timu

Doing a let's play on Perfect Dark Zero...I haven't done a full playthrough on this game since like 2009(I think)... and man, the sensitivity is so bad it's hard to aim and the framerate is far worse than on 360, heck the game froze for a few seconds even and the resumed back to normal.

I seriously wish the sensitivity was good then maybe I could play it better.

Isomac

So this is my first time playing Banjo games. I quite enjoyed Banjo 1, but Banjo 2 is a lot worse game. So many of these annoying first person shooting mini games...

Top Bottom