• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Wow, they really want to make you hate Grabbed by the Ghoulies by the end of it. For those of you who have beaten it,
what in the Tuck Everlasting fuck is up with the stupid race at the end? Who thought this would be fun? The only thing worse than putting timers on specific rooms is putting a 13 minute timer on an entire chapter. What the fuck.

That's nothing. In Challenge Mode, the final challenge is to
play through the entire main game as Amber, who always has 10 health. There are also no soup tin powerups at all. Two hits from most enemies is enough to kill you, and some enemies can even do it in one.

That's nothing. In Challenge Mode, the final challenge is to
play through the entire main game as Amber, who always has 10 health. There are also no soup tin powerups at all. Two hits from most enemies is enough to kill you, and some enemies can even do it in one.

Yikes, that's my nightmare. Yeah, I finished that part last night pretty easily. I just HATE when games throw timers at you. Happy this trend has all but disappeared in the latest generation.

Haha, ouch. Tough noogies.

Speaking of Grabbed by the Ghoulies, how long is this game, generally speaking? Was thinking about picking it up and was wondering if it could be polished off in a weekend.

illusionary

I'm done with my replay of the original two Banjos... I'm very close to 100% in both, but Saucer of Peril is too much of a pain to get 500 points on and Canary Mary on Cloud Cuckooland just isn't going to be happening..:(

DJ_Lae

I haven't fired the game up in weeks, but has there been any word on Blast Corps? I'm still disappointed it was the only game that consistently crashed on me, I was hoping for a patch before I went back in and played it through without being paranoid that it would freeze every couple of minutes.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Started playing Blast Corps for the first time last night and I'm hooked. Other than the awful Backlash vehicle, everything is just so fun. Got Gold on all of the "Easy" stages. The Backlash course took me forever to be able to beat 22 seconds, then I still couldn't control it properly in the first Backlash Carrier level.

illusionary

Started playing Blast Corps for the first time last night and I'm hooked. Other than the awful Backlash vehicle, everything is just so fun. Got Gold on all of the "Easy" stages. The Backlash course took me forever to be able to beat 22 seconds, then I still couldn't control it properly in the first Backlash Carrier level.

Those levels don't get any easier, I'm afraid - there are two in particular towards the end with the Backlash that are incredibly hard.

illusionary

For anyone who's not yet following them, Rare are releasing a series of mini-documentaries on their Youtube channel, each very similar to those included in Rare Replay. They're very much worth watching if you enjoyed what was included in the game itself!

Link to their playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_nMBAOk-hFrvKMS6Yin3A58O_DULYVcY

Here are a few highlights so far:

The Making of Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R2sCzlT5Uc
The Making of Banjo-Tooie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVl0wOdB9Jc
Concept Showcase - Conker: Gettin' Medieval: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOpRL5qanyg

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just unlocked time attack in Blast Corps. I got pretty good with the Backlash too. I did a beautiful run of Diamond Sands when I finally beat it, only to screw up with the TNT at the end and take a good 15 seconds longer than I should have, so my time attack score is only a bronze. Just gotta clean up the rest of the time attack golds to unlock platinum medals, then earn a platinum on anything and I'll have all the milestones.

Edit: Just got gold on all the time trials. This whole time, I didn't know you could force a skid with X on the backlash. I've just been using the dirt. Beat the gold requirement on Diamond Sands by a whole minute. All milestones complete. Got a platinum on the J-Bomb level and already earned one on Mercury from before. Achievement didn't pop until I earned one after unlocking them though. I wonder if getting Platinum times on all levels before unlocking would make the achievement missable. Fat chance at that though.

Yrael

The space limitation in Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise is so stupid. There's barely anything in this garden and yet the shopkeepers all refuse to sell me things - even accessories - because it's apparently too full.

"Oh I'm sorry, your garden is too crowded for me to put this tiny-ass earring on your cat."

NOEA10Z.gif

MauroNL

http://microsoftstudios.com/2015/10/09/rarereplayupdate/

Updates:

- Added full-screen support for games played without borders
- Added developer tags to game leaderboards

Bug fixes:

- Fixed an issue causing players to lose progress or milestones when returning to Rare Replay from Xbox 360 titles
- Fixed an issue causing Snapshots to crash when the player selected ‘Retry’
- Fixed an issue that occurred when users reverted to classic controls in Jet Force Gemini
- Fixed an issue truncating some leaderboard values
- Fixed an issue changing the audio pitch in Battletoads Arcade
- Fixed a number of minor UI bugs
New title update is released. 247 mb.

Quick question:

I'm installing this for the first time (oh boy...). If, let's say, out of the ten games it installs initially, I know I'm not going to play one or two of them. Can I uninstall and still play everything else without a problem or do all ten of these games it initially installs need to be there for it to run properly?

So this is a weird one. I'm playing Battletoads, and making good use of the saves - I have a rotating set of 3, plus the Autosave. I'm very near the end, and there's a very difficult bit that I want to try from the start (the weird energy ball chasing my toad on a unicycle), and suddenly all 4 of those saves are the same exact thing, even though they're still time-stamped differently. What's more, they're saves of a point where I definitely didn't save: me falling off the screen as I die. That would be probably the last time I tried to load. I suppose it's possible that I accidentally saved instead of loading, but I certainly didn't do it 3 times. And I don't think the Autosave would coincidentally pick that exact moment, either.

So I quit the game and re-start it, and now all 4 of the saves load the title screen of the game. All my progress is lost.

That is one bad save bug. Anyone else seen something like that?

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Quick question:

I'm installing this for the first time (oh boy...). If, let's say, out of the ten games it installs initially, I know I'm not going to play one or two of them. Can I uninstall and still play everything else without a problem or do all ten of these games it initially installs need to be there for it to run properly?

For the Xbox 360 games that are installed separately, you can uninstall any of them you don't want, and the rest of the games will still work fine.

Yrael

Hmmm...so apparently there are three wildcard Pinata variants for each type in Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, but the third can only be gotten through trade.

Anyone able to trade a Roario? I have the one with three tails, and would like to get the one with a horn on its forehead.

Yrael

Hmmm...so apparently there are three wildcard Pinata variants for each type in Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, but the third can only be gotten through trade.

Anyone able to trade a Roario? I have the one with three tails, and would like to get the one with a horn on its forehead.

Aaaand a few days after making this post (I am slow) I find out that the Viva Pinata servers are shut down (and proper compatibility hasn't been added for the "vision cards" that would otherwise be used to get certain Pinatas), so there isn't actually any way to get all three wildcard variants of a species in Rare Replay.

That sucks for completionists and perfectionists, lol. Hopefully there'll be some kind of patch for this in the future, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

illusionary

Aaaand a few days after making this post (I am slow) I find out that the Viva Pinata servers are shut down (and proper compatibility hasn't been added for the "vision cards" that would otherwise be used to get certain Pinatas), so there isn't actually any way to get all three wildcard variants of a species in Rare Replay.

That sucks for completionists and perfectionists, lol. Hopefully there'll be some kind of patch for this in the future, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.
Ah, come to think of it... this is probably why the total gamerscore from Rare Replay is 10,050 rather than 10,000 - to ensure that there's 10,000 that's obtainable.

DJ_Lae

So they STILL haven't fixed the Banjo-Kazooie "Bottle notes" glitch. Wow.

Or Blast Corps freezing. The game is still basically unplayable for me, I've been trying to work my way through the game regardless but I've had a good 30 lockups and I just don't have it in me to continue.

daTRUballin

So I'm playing through Conker right now (not on Rare Replay, on my N64) and all I have to say is fuck that night club level. What a shitty level. It's so fucking frustrating that it's not even funny. I'm not stuck on it or anything, I know what I need to do, it's just so freaking hard and tedious. I'm almost done with it, though. Sheesh.

Cool music though.

PedroRVD

can someone confirm something about the update? I don't have access to my console until wednesday. I really hope they reconsidered Perfect Dark Zero's milestones. That RUINED my "all-stamps" adventure...and my enjoyment of the collection. I really wanted to get everything.

illusionary

can someone confirm something about the update? I don't have access to my console until wednesday. I really hope they reconsidered Perfect Dark Zero's milestones. That RUINED my "all-stamps" adventure...and my enjoyment of the collection. I really wanted to get everything.

I don't think that there's been any changes to the milestones. What exactly are you hoping that they've been changed from and to?

PedroRVD

They should not ask 750gc for all Perfect Dark Zero's stamps, it should be 500 at least.

Achievements of this game are absolutely ridiculous and almost all of them require multiplayer and no one plays this game online anymore...so the majority of these achievements require grabbing two controllers for +20 hours.

AND...all this requires beating the game on single player AND coop on Perfect Agent. Difficulty is brutal and unfair. And I'm not even talking about Dark Agent.

This is sad because all the stamps of the other games are very reasonable and obtainable. But getting all the PDZ milestones in 2015 is impossible. Or near impossible...

illusionary

They should not ask 750gc for all Perfect Dark Zero's stamps, it should be 500 at least.

Achievements of this game are absolutely ridiculous and almost all of them require multiplayer and no one plays this game online anymore...so the majority of these achievements require grabbing two controllers for +20 hours.

AND...all this requires beating the game on single player AND coop on Perfect Agent. Difficulty is brutal and unfair. And I'm not even talking about Dark Agent.

This is sad because all the stamps of the other games are very reasonable and obtainable. But getting all the PDZ milestones in 2015 is impossible. Or near impossible...
No change here and I'd be very surprised to see any in future, to be honest. The milestone requirements for all of the backwards-compatible Xbox 360 games in the collection are set in the same way.

I've been working my way through this bundle of joy from time to time. Really enjoying my time with it alot and been aiming to complete a game 100% before moving onto the next one starting from the very first game, release date wise. So far I have reached Digger T. Rock.

Noticed that I was hit with an update a while back but I don't know what that was for.

Pachimari

I'm considering buying this game within the hour but I am really bummed out, that Conker: Live and Reloaded isn't part of the bundle. Is there a reason why it is not included?

It can't be emulating a Xbox game if Grabbed by the Ghoulies is part of the package.

klaus

I'm considering buying this game within the hour but I am really bummed out, that Conker: Live and Reloaded isn't part of the bundle. Is there a reason why it is not included?

It can't be emulating a Xbox game if Grabbed by the Ghoulies is part of the package.

GbtG is actually a remake (it's 16:9, 60fps), only the 360 games are emulated..

TheKeyPit

Banned
^ They've said that they wanted to add the version that's harder to get your hands on(something in that direction). Not everyone has access to a N64 and that Conker version.

Gartooth

I just started playing Banjo-Kazooie again and the controls felt off. I haven't played the game in years so maybe my view of the controls aged favorably, but it took me aback and made me first question if the RR version messed up the XBLA controls.

Also has the Bottles puzzle glitch been patched out? Its strange it made it into RR at all since it was patched out of the 360 version of Banjo-Kazooie.

Then I wonder why they didn't bother with Live & Reloaded. Probably because of the original but it is still bumming me out. :(

While Live & Reloaded looked stunning and still is, it's censored. The original Conker was uncensored so I think they made the right choice in including this one in the long run.

eastx

While Live & Reloaded looked stunning and still is, it's censored. The original Conker was uncensored so I think they made the right choice in including this one in the long run.

If censorship was the only metric for quality, sure. But Live and Reloaded was way, way better overall. And they could have also chosen to uncensor it when remaking it for Xbox One.

desu

I got a Xbone recently and got Rare Replay as first game. However for some reason once Rare Replay is started all sounds are for the game and the whole OS are muted. Is there some kind of known bug or workaround for this? Once I quit the game the sound is back and the normal games from the collection have sound as well.

Top Bottom