• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Bought this collection thanks to a sale mainly for BK, BT, Conker and PD.

Started with BK, collecting every jiggy and whatnot, it's mostly boring (not a fan of collect-a-thon platformers) but somewhat enjoyable... And then Gruny's Furnace Fun happened, 5 tries and I noped, deleted the game, never again.

Gonna try Perfect Dark next.

witness

Got this on black Friday at the MS store, can't pass on this for just $15. Got my brother to pick it up also. This game really brought my family together. Got to play RC pro am with my dad for the first time since 1989 probably.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
HAHA. Just finished getting all the Tribals and ship parts in Jet Force Gemini. I turned them in as Vela, and a cutscene brought me to the last level, where you're forcibly switched to Juno. My Juno was at the Disco on Ichor as a green ant though, so now I'm fighting the last boss in an ant costume.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
HAHA. Just finished getting all the Tribals and ship parts in Jet Force Gemini. I turned them in as Vela, and a cutscene brought me to the last level, where you're forcibly switched to Juno. My Juno was at the Disco on Ichor as a green ant though, so now I'm fighting the last boss in an ant costume.

Respect. How long did that take?

SilverArrow20XX

Respect. How long did that take?

Took me about a week of playing an hour or three a day. Not too bad. Still probably took twice as long as the entire game up to the collectathon part. Lots of new levels though, so it didn't feel nearly as tedious as I thought it would.

Starting Perfect Dark now. Wondering if I should start on Perfect or Special Agent. Not sure if the difficulty Achievements stack.

I have all of the stamps except for both Perfect Dark and Viva Pinata games. Getting closer to that most coveted title.

PedroRVD

Took me about a week of playing an hour or three a day. Not too bad. Still probably took twice as long as the entire game up to the collectathon part. Lots of new levels though, so it didn't feel nearly as tedious as I thought it would.

Starting Perfect Dark now. Wondering if I should start on Perfect or Special Agent. Not sure if the difficulty Achievements stack.

I have all of the stamps except for both Perfect Dark and Viva Pinata games. Getting closer to that most coveted title.

The original Perfect Dark? Or Perfect Dark Zero? I have been looking for a partner to finish coop Perfect Agent (PDZ) with for ages but no luck...so I am now grinding for the multiplayer achievements...will take several hours.

If it is the original Perfect Dark you only need to finish it on Agent and do the other achievements doing certaing things that are easy and fast to do.

Good luck with Viva Pinata, bro. Just got all the stamps for both games... the first game actually ends being VERY enjoyable... but getting 750/1000 in Trouble in Paradise is a PAIN.

Perfect Dark Zero is my last game to get 100% on ...then I will have all Rare Replay completed :)

daTRUballin

So this is a bit off-topic, but I was wondering about something and this might be the best thread I could ask this in. Does anybody know if Rare still has Scribes on their website?

I know that they had Scribes even during the Kinect Sports days, and Leigh Loveday (the man behind Scribes) is still there apparently. They've completely redesigned their website ever since they've changed their logo and ever since they've announced Rare Replay and Sea of Thieves. But I was wondering if they will ever have a Scribes section again? Or has Twitter pretty much replaced it? :/

PedroRVD

How do you change into the car in rcpro my 2.

And any other money and buying tips is helpful

Tires are the most important thing...start with the Skinny tires, then the silver motor and keep alternating between tires and motor. Don't buy all motors, you can be skipping one and one. But concentrate on tires and motor.

So this is a bit off-topic, but I was wondering about something and this might be the best thread I could ask this in. Does anybody know if Rare still has Scribes on their website?

I know that they had Scribes even during the Kinect Sports days, and Leigh Loveday (the man behind Scribes) is still there apparently. They've completely redesigned their website ever since they've changed their logo and ever since they've announced Rare Replay and Sea of Thieves. But I was wondering if they will ever have a Scribes section again? Or has Twitter pretty much replaced it? :/

awww those were really great... Rare's website is basically useless now and the last time I visited it (a few weeks ago) there were no scribes :(

daTRUballin

Tires are the most important thing...start with the Skinny tires, then the silver motor and keep alternating between tires and motor. Don't buy all motors, you can be skipping one and one. But concentrate on tires and motor.

awww those were really great... Rare's website is basically useless now and the last time I visited it (a few weeks ago) there were no scribes :(

Well, I wouldn't say it's absolutely useless. It's kinda cool actually, and I'd say it's better than the one they had during their Kinect days. But yeah, as for Scribes, who knows? Are you sure they won't ever have it again? :/

SilverArrow20XX

The original Perfect Dark? Or Perfect Dark Zero? I have been looking for a partner to finish coop Perfect Agent (PDZ) with for ages but no luck...so I am now grinding for the multiplayer achievements...will take several hours.

If it is the original Perfect Dark you only need to finish it on Agent and do the other achievements doing certaing things that are easy and fast to do.

Good luck with Viva Pinata, bro. Just got all the stamps for both games... the first game actually ends being VERY enjoyable... but getting 750/1000 in Trouble in Paradise is a PAIN.

Perfect Dark Zero is my last game to get 100% on ...then I will have all Rare Replay completed :)

The original first, then I'll do PDZ. I'll be beating them both on Perfect Agent eventually. The first has some post game story missions that are only unlockable by beating it on certain difficulties. The last of which requires everything before it to have been cleared on PA.

I'd be happy to do a PA co-op run of PDZ with you once I finish PD. Probably about a week from now.

Thanks, I have a save file going but I think I need to start over. Ai changed to cars but I didn't and they are blowing me away

Lazaro

Cross Post. Though this was interesting. Would buy Rare Replay again on Wii U if it includes Donkey Kong and other SNES games. Also Diddy Kong Racing.
microosftrarenintendpgopdr.jpg

SilverArrow20XX

Just finished Grabbed By the Ghoulies a few days ago. Really enjoyed it all the way through. Started Viva Pinata afterwards. This game never interested me when it came out, so I never bought it. It's strangely addicting, but not really my cup of tea. I think it and its sequel will be my biggest hurtle in getting all of the stamps. Other than them, I just have PDZ left.

BTails

Bumping this one, because I need to vent about how mind-numbing Perfect Dark Zero is. I've been enjoying my time immensely with Rare Replay, and have almost finished most of the pre-N64 games completely (All milestones and snapshots). Been trying to jump into some of the later stuff in between "retro" games to spread things out, and after having a blast revisiting Perfect Dark, I've been working on PDZ for the first time.

The good: It's got some pretty killer music. And the left trigger being an analogue scope (Push down fully for full zoom, etc) is pretty unique and a neat mechanic. Plus, it's got that wall!

The bad: EVERYTHING ELSE. The storyline is terrible (Not like the original PD was amazing, but it kept me more intrigued than this), the shooting feels floaty, and the achievements are borderline masochistic. I'm ALMOST done my first playthrough of the campaign on Agent (easy) difficulty, and I'm jumping to Perfect Agent next as I hear the difficulty achievements stack. But the multiplayer ones are taking forever, even using guides to find the "quickest" way to grind them.

I'm at 370 gamerscore, and I only need to get to 750 for all the stamps from the Rare Replay collection, but it's a slog.

Maengun1

I'm about 75% through Banjo Tooie on only my 2nd playthrough ever, after blasting through Kazooie for probably the 4th or 5th time, and it's cemented my opinion that Kazooie is way way better.

- I really dislike the split-up mechanic and how often the game forces you to do it. It's incredibly annoying getting to a point that needs only 1 of them, going back to the split up pad, doing the thing you need to do, then there's usually a second part for the OTHER character, go back, swap out, do that, go back again to rejoin.....blaaaaargh

- Related, playable Mumbo was a good idea but he's such a drag to maneuver with as compared to BK, and it's also tedious as hell going to get him, doing the thing, going back to switch, yada yada

- Also don't really care for the variety of eggs. It's annoying to switch, more annoying to have to wait for the nests to cycle to the right egg before restocking every single time. Most of the varities don't really make themselves necessary either, other than "you need THIS kind to open THIS door" kinda stuff that could have just been regular eggs.

- I think the world ideas are more fun and interesting than the original, but I really don't like how expansive and spread out the areas are. It just feels emptier than Kazooie, and I'm currently in Grunty Industries which is just hell for navigation. I think I've put 3 hours into the world so far and 2.5 of them are just "being lost." Warp pads help with this but I'd have rather seen worlds designed in a way where you didn't need warp pads to avoid pulling your hair out.

way more nitpicky personal issues

- I actually liked finding 100 notes and the 5 uniquely colored jinjos in each world, so those changes kinda irk me too lol

- I'm not a fan of forced backtracking, I'd personally rather be able to complete each world in one go than encounter areas that are impossible to complete without tools from later areas.

It's still a great game and I wish we got Banjo Kazooie 3, 4, 5, etc., but it doesn't come close to the legendary status of the original IMO. I appreciate them trying new things but I don't really find any of them improvements.

Edit: just remembered, I also hate the FPS segments. Jeez.

Bumping this one, because I need to vent about how mind-numbing Perfect Dark Zero is. I've been enjoying my time immensely with Rare Replay, and have almost finished most of the pre-N64 games completely (All milestones and snapshots). Been trying to jump into some of the later stuff in between "retro" games to spread things out, and after having a blast revisiting Perfect Dark, I've been working on PDZ for the first time.

The good: It's got some pretty killer music. And the left trigger being an analogue scope (Push down fully for full zoom, etc) is pretty unique and a neat mechanic. Plus, it's got that wall!

The bad: EVERYTHING ELSE. The storyline is terrible (Not like the original PD was amazing, but it kept me more intrigued than this), the shooting feels floaty, and the achievements are borderline masochistic. I'm ALMOST done my first playthrough of the campaign on Agent (easy) difficulty, and I'm jumping to Perfect Agent next as I hear the difficulty achievements stack. But the multiplayer ones are taking forever, even using guides to find the "quickest" way to grind them.

I'm at 370 gamerscore, and I only need to get to 750 for all the stamps from the Rare Replay collection, but it's a slog.
to think, I kinda liked PDZ's MP back at launch. I tried it again when i picked up RR and oh boy that thing is garbo

I got an Xbox One almost exclusively for this game. Playing Conker in Rare Replay has me looking at N64 games on the virtual console a little differently. It looks so good!

Montresor

Quick reminder that if you have Live Gold this is $18. Not sure until when.

Yup, I bought it on sale for $18. I'm really enjoying the game so far. This is a staggering, incredible package. I love all the featurette videos in there. My favourite one so far has been the voice acting video.

So far I've taken care of these Rare Replay games:

Banjo Nuts N Bolts
Banjo Kazooie
Perfect Dark 1
Jetpac
Slalom
Killer Instinct Gold

And I've taken care of every milestone in Conker's Bad Fur Day except for actually beating the game. So this weekend I'll start a playthrough from scratch and go up to 7/30 games completed.

Montresor

Well, the dream is over (to go after the full 4000/4000 in this game).

So far I've completed all stamps for these games:

Jetpac
Lunar Jetman
Atic Atac
Sabre Wulf
Underwurlde
Slalom
Solar Jetman
Killer Instinct Gold
Banjo Kazooie
Perfect Dark
Banjo Nuts and Bolts
And almost finished Conker's Bad Fur Day

I thought I could keep progressing nicely, until I started to play Knight Lore. That is the most unfun, terribly-designed, poorly-performing game I've ever played. I'm going to skip its main playthrough. I can't stand the random slowdown.

Kinsei

Banned
Ugh Perfect Dark Zero is such a slog. Beating the game on normal only nets you 25 gamerscore and you need 750 to get all of the milestones just like every other retail 360 game. The multiplayer grind with bots is so boring. Just let me move on to VP already!

Jetpac
Lunar Jetman
Atic Atac
Sabre Wulf
Underwurlde
Slalom
Solar Jetman
Killer Instinct Gold
Banjo Kazooie
Perfect Dark
Banjo Nuts and Bolts

I thought I could keep progressing nicely, until I started to play Knight Lore. That is the most unfun, terribly-designed, poorly-performing game I've ever played. I'm going to skip its main playthrough. I can't stand the random slowdown.

If it helps at all, the game is incredibly short and, with the cheats on, incredibly easy if you follow a map. All three of the Sabreman games are really bad IMO.

Camjo-Z

Jetpac
Lunar Jetman
Atic Atac
Sabre Wulf
Underwurlde
Slalom
Solar Jetman
Killer Instinct Gold
Banjo Kazooie
Perfect Dark
Banjo Nuts and Bolts

If it's any consolation, you would have given up at PDZ anyway.

Montresor

If it helps at all, the game is incredibly short and, with the cheats on, incredibly easy if you follow a map. All three of the Sabreman games are really bad IMO.

Yup I couldn't stand the controls in Sabre Wulf, Underwurlde, and Knight Lore. Sabre Wulf and Underwurlde are really short and easy - Knight Lore may be short but it seems really convoluted. The dealbreaker for me is the slowdown.

If it's any consolation, you would have given up at PDZ anyway.

Actually, thankfully, I encountered a snapshot in RC Pro-AM 1 that I've given up on. It would've really bothered me if I ended up doing everything else in Rare Replay and the only thing stopping me from getting 4000/4000 was Knight Lore. I can probably see myself missing out on some Battletoads stamps/snapshots too. I'll probably skip Perfect Dark Zero. And I'll skip Viva Pinata 1 (not because I don't think I'll like the game, but I'd rather just play the sequel Trouble In Paradise.

Montresor

Also, is there any good reason why Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, and Grabbed By The Ghoulies have such high ratios on trueachievements.com? Every achievement for those games seems to have a TA ratio between 8-11.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm still slowly making my way through PDZ. I currently have 6 stamps and I'm hoping to get my seventh tonight.

Also, is there any good reason why Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, and Grabbed By The Ghoulies have such high ratios on trueachievements.com? Every achievement for those games seems to have a TA ratio between 8-11.

Blast Corps is hard so that one makes sense. I guess people just don't like Ghoulies and JFG. It's a shame too since JFG is one of the best games on the collection IMO.

Let me guess, the R.C Pro Am 2 snapshot you can't beat is the button masher one, right? I had to get a spoon and rub it over the buttons of my controller to pass it.

Montresor

I'm still slowly making my way through PDZ. I currently have 6 stamps and I'm hoping to get my seventh tonight.

Blast Corps is hard so that one makes sense. I guess people just don't like Ghoulies and JFG. It's a shame too since JFG is one of the best games on the collection IMO.

Let me guess, the R.C Pro Am 2 snapshot you can't beat is the button masher one, right? I had to get a spoon and rub it over the buttons of my controller to pass it.

Actually I quite comfortably/easily beat the RC Pro Am 2 snapshots. For the button masher, I put my thumb under my shirt and used that to rub the two buttons back and forth heh (I got that from a solution over at TA.com).

There's an RC Pro Am 1 snapshot that requires you to win a 9-lap race starting 2 laps down. I can't do that one.

Montresor

My progress so far:

I have 100%'d the following 16 games (exceptions/clarifications in brackets):

Jetpac
Lunar Jetman
Atic Atac
Sabre Wulf
Underwurlde
Knight Lore (missing only 3 stamps for miscellaneous playthrough achievements - will not attempt)
Slalom
Gunfright
Cobra Triangle
R.C. Pro-Am (missing the "all snapshots" achievement only because of snapshot #5 - will not attempt)
R.C. Pro-Am II
Solar Jetman
Killer Instinct Gold
Banjo Kazooie (200/200gs)
Perfect Dark (I have 175/200gs and all stamps - will not attempt to get any more gamerscore)
Banjo Nuts and Bolts (1250/1250gs)

And I'm 60%+ through Conker's Bad Fur Day's campaign (beating the campaign is the only stamp I need).

Conker's Bad Fur Day has terrible controls but the level design, puzzles, and humour have surprisingly held up extremely well. The game is remarkably fun, despite the controls.

Montresor

Thread's dead, but I still want to post my progress. *shrug*

I've been distracted by some other games released recently but I finally beat Conker's Bad Fur Day today (and got all its milestones/stamps).

That was a fantastic game, with humour and level design that still holds up today. Controls are awful though, especially anything to do with aiming/shooting.

There is a rumour that Rare is working on two new games. With them working on Sea Of Thieves right now, I am so happy about the prospect of Rare actually pumping out significant/great games again for MS. Since Banjo Kazooie Nuts N Bolts (which I loved) it's just been uninteresting Kinect games. But now they have a brand new IP (Sea of Thieves) and possibly two other games in the pipeline? Love it.

TheKeyPit

Banned
^I want a new Conker inspired by "recent" movies/games.

Favorite quote:
Birdy: Hello. It's me again. Mr. Scarecrow Birdy. Right. What seems to
be the problem? Oh yes. You need manual. Otherwise, no. Doesn't work.
It'll cost you.

Conker: Oh. How much?

Birdy: Eh..got any mepsipax?

Conker: What?

Birdy: Don't matter. Actually, eh...I think, eh.....well, eh, ten dollar.
Long time. You love manual long time.

Playing this for the first time during this time period the only thing I then could think of was: This is a Microtransactions/DLC joke hidden in the past :D

Montresor

Ah!!! I got past Level 10 in Battletoads earlier today. Can't believe it. That's the level where you have to chase down a rat to defuse/kick a bomb three times.

The third rat race was crazy and almost made me give up on the game. And that's with infinite lives + Rewind - it was that hard.

Lothar

Banned
Ah!!! I got past Level 10 in Battletoads earlier today. Can't believe it. That's the level where you have to chase down a rat to defuse/kick a bomb three times.

The third rat race was crazy and almost made me give up on the game. And that's with infinite lives + Rewind - it was that hard.

Congrats on the cheating.

Montresor

I'm almost done Blast Corps. I think I now know why the game has such high ratio achievements... Many of the achievements involve "doing everything". These achievements:

1) Clear the path for the truck in all levels
2) Destroy all buildings
3) Find all RDUs
4) Rescue all survivors

Can only be done if you are good enough to beat the final level (or the 2nd last level). I was almost pulling my hair out at the 2nd last level. And right now I'm on the last level and I'm completely stuck. If you beat every level except for one then there goes your chance to get the majority of achievements.

That's a bad achievements list (for Blast Corps). I prefer an achievement list that is more well-balanced... There should be ones that are very difficult but there should also be ones that are really easy too.

Can someone please help me out with Blast Corps? The last level (Oyster Harbour) is annoying me. I can't get past the crane part (see the video below).

Why is it that when I drop the TNT box, only a small part of the silver obstruction gets destroyed?

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/OdadjianActual/video/19712957

It's just really finicky. I remember on the 64 you had to line it up so you hit two of the silver crates at once.

Montresor

It's just really finicky. I remember on the 64 you had to line it up so you hit two of the silver crates at once.

Thanks. What I did was rotate the camera 90 degrees towards the metal obstruction and that allowed me to easily line up the TNT drop on two silver crates at once.

Finally done, woot.

JRW

So I disovered Banjo Nuts & Bolts isn't exactly emulated 100% via Rare Replay / Backwards compat on X1, during the Nutty Acres level there's graphic glitches where water meets the shore, also there's suppose to be leaves(?) floating around the level which are missing entirely on X1.

I made a quick and dirty comparison which shows both issues, (X1 on left vs. actual Xbox 360 hardware on the right)

No idea if it's a known issue already but figured I'd share - http://vmashup.com/L2kD3tYP

EDIT: I've only compared Nutty Acres so far and just started playing the next level (Logbox 720) , so far no discrepencies discovered in this level and X1 performance stays at 30fps more often than 360.

Top Bottom