• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends Wii U Challenge Mode eShop in April

Tokieda

Better than nothing, that's for sure.

Although I would have liked to play the full game this spring, it's great to see that the protest has yielded some results.

This sounds awesome and I sure hope the devs aren't doing this behind Ubi's back. The pessimist in me thinks theres a chance Ubi will step in and delay this challenge mode release until it can be made for PS3 and 360. We'll see in April I suppose.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
I will now take all the credit for basically giving NeoGAF this eshop exclusive. You are all welcome.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'll pass. Online challenges is not what I and my family were waiting to play in a week.

NimbusD

I'm not going to complain. Especially if it's free that's awesome. But wtf are they thinking? I'll be bored of Rayman after playing "countless hours" of this and probably won't spend the 50/60 for the full game after months of playing this and I'm sure a significant amount of people will be in the same boat.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I also don't get why the developer is trying to say this delay gives them more time to add new bosses and levels to a finished game?

Seriously dude? Your time will be spent porting to PS360

Yes, it will, but porting it to PS360 without pissing off PS360 owners means redesigning a lot of levels to throw out Murfy or designing a lot of new levels to replace the Murfy-centric levels. If we are lucky, they will not just delete the Murfy levels, but put them exclusively in the Wii U version and also put the new levels in there as well.

Gummb

Yes, it will, but porting it to PS360 without pissing off PS360 owners means redesigning a lot of levels to throw out Murfy or designing a lot of new levels to replace the Murfy-centric levels. If we are lucky, they will not just delete the Murfy levels, but put them exclusively in the Wii U version and also put the new levels in there as well.
They had better. This Wii U Rayman better be the most packed platformer I have ever played. 7 months waiting is atrocious after I was already so hyped. :'(

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
They had better. This Wii U Rayman better be the most packed platformer I have ever played. 7 months waiting is atrocious after I was already so hyped. :'(

I guarantee you, I'm at least as sad about this as you are, seeing that I probably am one of the biggest Rayman fans there are. I have three versions each of Rayman 2 and Rayman Origins and I've perfectly completed Rayman 2 on seven different platforms ^^. You can bet on me being really unhappy about this delay.

RobbieNick

Hmmm..well, I guess that will tide me over until the game arrives in Sept. (I'm still mad tho.) It also shows what fans can accomplish if they make their voices heard. I mean, U Play got so many angry comments that it ended up in the Warawara Plaza.

This is good business sense on Ubi's part. Release a free chunk of the game that doesn't give too much as to effect sales, but keep Wii U owners playing, thus having the players hyping what fun they're having online which helps market the game for the 360/PS3 crowd. While it's only five levels from the game, the new challenges will keep it fresh while placating the angry fans.

ahm998

What about graphics & ART will be same?!

Gummb

I guarantee you, I'm at least as sad about this as you are, seeing that I probably am one of the biggest Rayman fans there are. I have three versions each of Rayman 2 and Rayman Origins and I've perfectly completed Rayman 2 on seven different platforms ^^. You can bet on me being really unhappy about this delay.
Look to your personal messages. There you will find my plan for you. You are the missing piece I have needed. Prepare yourself.

beje

Banned
Blergh, I'll be busy with so many games in April that I doubt I will have time to pay attention to this, let alone the whole game in September. Greed made them forgot how much Origins bombed until it was available at your favorite bargain bin with a heavy discount less than two months after launch...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If the challenges will update weekly I am OK with this. Still mad that this is not available next week, but it is better than nothing (and another demo would be practically nothing).

As the joined release on all platforms will practically guarantee the price reduction latest by Black Friday it would be stupid to buy this game now day one in September. But I respect the wise business decision and I will get it cheap.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, still disappointed by the delay of the final game, but at least is something. and, if free and well-packed, could be fun, so I'm interested

CTLance

Online challenge mode, huh? Neat thing to have, I guess.

Man, I seriously pity Ancel and his team.

They didn't choose to delay it and piss Nintendo fans off, but they get to face the brunt of the hate - and as a bonus, they now get to crunch yet again to implement additional stuff, code additional demos/teasers, and port the resulting game to two more consoles. Plus, as an add-on they probably enraged their superiors with their outspoken support of the WiiU "on time" release.

That's gotta suck hardcore.

Kyzon

I'll get this Challenge thingy, but I'm not going to be giving Ubisoft my money by buying the retail game. I'm still pretty disappointed in them :/

ahm998

In my opinion this is bad economic move.

All People will get bore from Rayman Legends on Wii U because they are waiting for long time and playing so much with Challenge Mode and the hype for this game will be very low.

And then any person will be satisfied from this game and will get it used or with low price.

Already i send this email to Ubisoft :)

luffeN

Don't know if it is still necessary, but here goes:

The Online Challenges will be accessible through the main game hub and give you new challenges daily and weekly with their own leaderboards. The challenges take place in five different settings with unique gameplay styles. All of these challenges are playable alone or with up to five people playing together.

You can invite friends, filter statistics and go for being the best player worldwide. Each of your results will be posted on the leaderboards and will also be recorded as a ghost. A History System tracks all of your performance and shows all of the Trophies you have earned.

The Online Challenges will come to the eShop for FREE in the beginning of April, exclusively on Wii U, and will be playable for countless hours.

Jackano

In my opinion this is bad economic move.

All People will get bore from Rayman Legends on Wii U because they are waiting for long time and playing so much with Challenge Mode and the hype for this game will be very low.

And then any person will be satisfied from this game and will get it used or with low price.

Already i send this email to Ubisoft :)

I sort of agree, but for different reasons.
I think Wii U owners will grab the free challenge mode, and then forget about the game.
Ps360 owners will eventually buy it, but knowing this was from the ground made for a so different platform? Plus, they are probably waiting for a reduced price, like Origins eventually was.

I doubt very much this will do a better job sales-wise. But since Ubi has failed with all this story, w eknow what are they are doing and what's left to them: damage control!

Oh joy, they took an existing mode, ripped it out, and frankensteined it back together as an eshop release. Nothing like farting out a sliver of the full game as exclusive content in some cynical bid to save face, and after the date the whole game was supposed to originally release no less. Sounds like a desperate attempt at damage control to me, and dollars to donuts there will be some sort of further rub to Wii U owners down the road in how this is handled as well. Calling it now.

In the meantime Ubisoft can continue to kiss my ass for delaying a long anticipated and completely finished game. I deeply admire the dev team, but I will not support or reward Ubisoft's bullshit as a publisher. I already canceled my preorder and this news does nothing to change my stance. I might have honestly double dipped for the Wii U and PS3 versions if they hadn't fucked Wii U owners over for no reason and just released the ports separately. Instead I'm standing firm on my vow to buy used. If they really want to smooth things over they should just release the damn game. You know, instead of putting it up against GTA 5 on PS360 and the WW remake on Wii U... whatever moron suit thought that was a good idea.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'll get this Challenge thingy, but I'm not going to be giving Ubisoft my money by buying the retail game. I'm still pretty disappointed in them :/
Ubisoft probably didn't expect to sacrifice their facebook page for 7 months, Yves Guillemot is now known on UPlay and beyond as someone who betrayed fans for a marketing convenience. And devs had to publicly apologize and develop a free online section of their game.

I will keep asking for an earlier release, but what I just mentioned is enough for me to get the game eventually: Ubisoft is already paying for their mistake.

Diggin it, although these poor devs haha, crunch crunch crunch. On the consumer end though, I'm jazzed for ths. IF they truely remix the challenges and leves each week, I'll be playing this all the way to launch. Hopefully it hits Jungle Run heights.

Katzii

I don't think that's what this is...

there are just "challenges" updated when you sync to an online server, and they use the existing levels you downloaded as a base. no online multiplayer, afaik.

Pretty sure the video itself stated it was for up to five players.

Pyronite

I also don't get why the developer is trying to say this delay gives them more time to add new bosses and levels to a finished game?

Seriously dude? Your time will be spent porting to PS360

This, and many other posts in here, make me facepalm. (I'll give you the first hint - the people who build and port engines have nothing to do with the level and boss designers.)

Good. Will get this to support the devs and not get the game to support the Ubihate.

Yeah, that's really going to help.

Here is some ANALyseses video i made. U guys will enjoy the Xbox360 button YAAY...not
Oh it´s sooo exclusive OMG
tumblr_l9xzj0pGCH1qztjn5o1_500.jpg

iMerc

i think the point is, they're being deceiving pricks again, lol.

ah well, ubisoft brought this on themselves.
i'll still check out that download if its free, it's a nice gesture... but i think i'll wait to see which console version is the best before i buy the game.

They said they are releasing "the full online challenge mode of the game exclusively for the Wii U"

This implies that this mode is in the full game (in all versions) and is being released, by itself, for Wii U only.

What's the problem? Where's the deceit? Because they showed the 360 version?

Speculation wise, this is probably a feature that was never coming out for the Wii U and meant to be exclusive for 360 and PS3. Or atleast a feature that would be available for all consoles when released on PS3 and 360.

It would explain why they showed a video with 360 button layouts and why it isn't coming out on eShop until April.

Speculation wise, this is probably a feature that was never coming out for the Wii U and meant to be exclusive for 360 and PS3.

It would explain why they showed a video with 360 button layouts and why it isn't coming out on eShop until April.

Yet it has actual Wii U exclusive touch screen levels?

Top Bottom