• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

I've wanted a new 2D Rayman for too long. Can't wait!

Thoraxes said:
Hmm, tough call here.
PS3 version or Wii version and Dolphinize it.
Decisions decisions.
Either way it's being played on my TV.
PS3 version will probably have better sound.

Antagon

If this game doesn't win all the graphics GOTY then there is something very wrong with this industry. This looks completely insane.

bwahhhhh

Thoraxes said:
Hmm, tough call here.
Decisions decisions.

since the game features hand draw artwork that's presumably stored as SD, and not polygons, it's probably not going to look quite HD in Dolphin, (or anywhere near as crisp as PS3) no matter the resolution.

Snuggler said:
Q WTF, do they really expect me to pay $60 for a 2D platformer? Shouldn't this be a downloadable title?
A First of all, fuck you, 2D platformers aren't less valuable than any other genre. When Origins was first announced, it was intended to have episodic releases starting in late 2010, but Ubisoft decided to delay it for a year and develop it into a fully featured game. It's worth is yet to be determined, so wait for a price drop or sale (which could happen fast) if you're on the fence.

tee hee

Antagon said:
If this game doesn't win all the graphics GOTY then there is something very wrong with this industry. This looks completely insane.
Well I remember one particular E3 stream I was watching had the hosts claim they didn't think it was appropriate Rayman Origins was given so much attention at Ubisoft's conference.

I think it's safe to say there's going to be at least one or two people who won't give this a fair chance for some dumb reason, probably because it's only in two dimensions.

The month of platforming continues and it's glorious, shame that the EU release decided to not only arrive later on the 25th but on the same day as Kirby, Rayman comes first though, it looks like it could be the best of the bunch.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wait, this is a $60 retail game now? Wasn't it revealed as an XBLA game? Or did people just assume it was a downloadable game when first shown.

Micerider

Thoraxes said:
Ah yes, very true. I have only a few days to decide, but yeah PS3 will probably be the way to go.

And at any rate : source material at 1080p (PS3) >>>>>>>>>> source material at 480p up-scaled to 1080p (Dolphin).

Drkirby said:
Wait, this is a $60 retail game now? Wasn't it revealed as an XBLA game? Or did people just assume it was a downloadable game when first shown.
It was gonna be an episodic XBLA game, so probably would have run to $60 or more anyway.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Thoraxes said:
Hmm, tough call here.
Decisions decisions.
The Wii version might not have the same 1080p assets. Go PS3.

bwahhhhh said:
since the game features hand draw artwork that's presumably stored as SD, and not polygons, it's probably not going to look quite HD in Dolphin, (or anywhere near as crisp as PS3) no matter the resolution.
Technically, most 2D games nowadays actually use polygons, with the sprites being textures. So, if the game is using the same assets, it would look identical to the PS3 version at 1080p. But we can't know for sure.

Amagon

Game looks fucking aces. Haven't touch a Rayman game ever since the first one came out on the PSX. I'm waiting til Black Friday to pick it up on the cheapy since this game wasn't on my radar til I checked out this OT. By the way, good job on the OT Snuggler.

bwahhhhh

Jocchan said:
The Wii version might not have the same 1080p assets. Go PS3.

Technically, most 2D games nowadays actually use polygons, with the sprites being textures. So, if the game is using the same assets, it would look identical to the PS3 version at 1080p. But we can't know for sure.

right, I'm just assuming the assets are stored in an SD res (or probably something higher than what the Wii can natively display, but still something far lower res than the PS360 versions) because the Wii wouldn't have the RAM to load HD assets

Tizoc

Day 1! Hopefully I can convince my game shop to give it to me for 50 dollars or close =P
EDIT: Really wish it had online that way I can play with some of my abroad friends =/
R&C A4O has online co-op, why doesn't this game have it?
Hope they plan to add it eventually, and I won't have any problems paying for it I guess lol.

Tizoc said:
Day 1! Hopefully I can convince my game shop to give it to me for 50 dollars or close =P
EDIT: Really wish it had online that way I can play with some of my abroad friends =/
R&C A4O has online co-op, why doesn't this game have it?
Hope they plan to add it eventually, and I won't have any problems paying for it I guess lol.
Talked to the dev team and NO online and it will NOT be added later.
They wanted a living room experience with your friends.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sigh, I would buy this day 1 if it was on the PC. Don't have access to my PS3 atm and Vita version is TBA. Why Ubi, why?

TGMIII

I guess I'm going crazy because I could have sworn I heard about this coming to PC. Still, really looking forward to this. Day one for me.

krYlon

I don't know if the OP wants to put reviews in his OT to entice the naysayers, but Nintendo Power gave this 9.5/10

+Beautiful art
+Inspired soundtrack that amplifies the manic atmosphere
+Nothing plain or boring
+Extremely fluid
+Some of the “tightest” level design in the reviewers’ 26 year experience with platformers
+Great at creating sense of momentum
+Perfect difficult
+Great multiplayer
+Always introducing new concepts

http://nintendoeverything.com/77024/nintendo-power-rayman-origins-is-the-best-rayman-ever/

Empty

good simple op, snuggler. lol at the genre.

michel ancel's return after six years in the ubisoft development wilderness, christophe heral scoring it, gloriously beautiful 2d art and animation, plenty of personality and invention in the e3 demo. it's so exciting and getting this and zelda within a week of eachother is such a gaming treat. squee.

jokkir

Does anyone have media(screenshots/videos) for the 3DS version? Unless I read the OP wrong, it's not there D:

Tizoc

The Dutch Slayer said:
Talked to the dev team and NO online and it will NOT be added later.
They wanted a living room experience with your friends.
Oh well, will try to convince my brothers to paly it with me. Might let my nephews try it out as well =3

Ranger X

fucking DAY ONE.

Is there a version costing more than 60$? I want to pay more for this, if only for the statement that high quality 2D games are viable today.

AniHawk

Atolm said:
This will be the "Best game of 2011 no one played", sadly ;(. I can't wait.

i was actually thinking of making the thread and calling it, Rayman Origins |OT| The Best Game You Will Ignore

.la1n

This game will be worth every bit of it's price tag and I hope that the majority of consumers choose to purchase at full price, we need more games like this.

Corto

.la1n said:
This game will be worth every bit of it's price tag and I hope that the majority of consumers choose to purchase at full price, we need more games like this.

It will be worth it. But everyone knows that unfortunately it will bomb hard...

Danielsan

Atolm said:
This will be the "Best game of 2011 no one played", sadly ;(. I can't wait.
I doubt it will sell worse than Shadows of the Damned, so that title has already been claimed for this year.

aDDiKt24

Banned
This type of game should be supported by the majority of people on NeoGaf. Hopefully it sells a heap, but sadly I dont see it happening. I will be there day 1.

dc89

It looks really good. Rayman with a few NSMB game play mechanics sounds like a winner to me. The GF will enjoy this too, as she loves these kind of co-op games.

The art style is to die for. Kind of reminds me of Trine.

jiggles

Banned
You can add me to the list of people who were expecting this to be a downloadable title.

It's not that I have a problem with paying £40 for this kind of game, but it's a kick in the balls to discover because until 5 minutes ago, I thought it would be £10. I remember it being announced for PSN/XBLA, but I don't remember them saying it would be episodic, and I certainly don't remember them saying it was changed to a full-fat retail release.

The lesson from this is to pay more attention to the pre-release, I guess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Day 1 perch even though I doubt I'll play it until a few weeks after due to the three other games I'm getting that week.

I just want to support the Ancel. Also, going with the Gamestop preorder since I've never played BG&E

Top Bottom