• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins screens. Christmas 2010 release for PSN/XBLA [Delayed?]

Shiggy

Sorry for bumping this thread, but Christmas is in 9 days and we haven't heard about this game for a while now. 3Delay?

SmokyDave

Fuuuuck, that looks awesome!

I've been re-playing the original Rayman recently. I'd forgotten just how damned good that game was.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Shiggy said:
Sorry for bumping this thread, but Christmas is in 9 days and we haven't heard about this game for a while now. 3Delay?
PS3 delay? threelay? SPLAIN!

And while the look is nice, I actually preferred the 3d Rayman games. Would rather have had a remake of the 3d ones but I will try the demo at least.

watkinzez

Daaw, thought this was a new thread.

Shiggy said:

They'd have to drop the episodic thing in that case. I can't see these games fitting under Nintendo's file size limit, so it'd have to be retail.

LiquidMetal14 said:
PS3 delay? threelay? SPLAIN!

And while the look is nice, I actually preferred the 3d Rayman games. Would rather have had a remake of the 3d ones but I will try the demo at least.

I like both equally. So I'm happy to get either. This game looks so gorgeous and Rayman has always been my favorite platforming dude since I "discovered" him when I was young.

There are so many games out (need to beat Uncharted 2 and then Sly Cooper!) that I want delays. Massive delays! Delay everything.

Empty

i got really excited when i saw this thread bumped :(

have been presuming a delay for a while. ubisoft would have done post e3 press events for the game if it was coming out soon.

Lijik

Shiggy said:
Just returned from the twilight zone! Really great title! Did anyone else get it for Christmas?
ibpisS.png

seat

I got excited when this thread got bumped as well. I hope we hear some more news soon.

Wazzim said:
What the heck? It looks nice quality wise but some facial expression make it look like some weird cartoon.
Yeah, I prefer the look of the first Rayman to this, but I'm still excited for this title.

Lijik

Always-honest said:
Too cartoony for Rayman.
I still don't follow. In the first game, there were enemies that would shoot bullets that held mallets to try and hit you. In Rayman 2 the world's god is a shirtless fat gnome thing with super long arms. In the third game, you go on psychedelic hoverboard excursions, your best friend is voice by John Leguizamo and he thinks he's buds with the villain who happens to be in his stomach, and your own shoe turns against you. Then theres the Raving Rabbids games.

These games have always been toony as fuck. I don't know what you've been playing.

Lijik said:
I still don't follow. In the first game, there were enemies that would shoot bullets that held mallets to try and hit you. In Rayman 2 the world's god is a shirtless fat gnome thing with super long arms. In the third game, you go on psychedelic hoverboard excursions, your best friend is voice by John Leguizamo and he thinks he's buds with the villain who happens to be in his stomach, and your own shoe turns against you. Then theres the Raving Rabbids games.

These games have always been toony as fuck. I don't know what you've been playing.
no, the artwork/ artstyle is a bit overdone for my personal taste, Not what he's wearing or what's happening.

nincompoop said:
Good going, Ubisoft's gonna cancel the game now and come out with Rayman: Deadly Descent instead.

:lol soemday this will happen.
Nirolak said:
You're right bros, I always thought Rayman would look better as a brooding, photorealistic anti-hero.
Nobody is suggesting this. Surely you can see a difference in art-style. Some like it, some do not.

Looks like what Rayman should resemble in this day and age. It's just a screen shot anyway, and those are NEVER any good for telling what a flow of animation will really be like.

Dever

Banned
abstract alien said:
Looks like what Rayman should resemble in this day and age. It's just a screen shot anyway, and those are NEVER any good for telling what a flow of animation will really be like.

Thankfully there's a trailer on the website, and it looks awesome. Wonder what is going on with this game though...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Always-honest said:
Nobody is suggesting this. Surely you can see a difference in art-style. Some like it, some do not.
I'll be honest, I'm really not seeing much of a difference here.

rayman-psn-20080722050632290.jpg

rayman-origins-20100706104757743.jpg

I guess Rayman looks less three dimensional?

Shiggy

Dever said:
Thankfully there's a trailer on the website, and it looks awesome. Wonder what is going on with this game though...

Optimisations and a 3DS port, if I had to guess.
It could also be that Ubisoft Montpellier is too busy with THI and Tintin (no, BG&E2 is currently not really in development, that team's members are especially busy with Tintin).

Link Man

Banned
Nirolak said:

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/892/892898/rayman-psn-20080722050632290.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/110/1104025/rayman-origins-20100706104757743.jpg[IMG]

I guess Rayman looks less three dimensional?[/QUOTE]
Rayman looks a little more stupid, I would guess. Could be something to do with his pupils being so tiny compared to his eyes, especially since the pupils are so close together.

Lijik

Link Man said:
Rayman looks a little more stupid, I would guess. Could be something to do with his pupils being so tiny compared to his eyes, especially since the pupils are so close together.
But thats kind of the point. The game is about a younger Rayman and explores how he goes from being a rascal to a hero.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Link Man said:
Lijik said:
But thats kind of the point. The game is about a younger Rayman and explores how he goes from being a rascal to a hero.
This is also pretty close to the 3D look you posted.

Lijik said:

Boney

Banned
The thread title is a lie. I demand it to be fixed.

And the game looks incredible, people need to watch the trailer again.

Nirolak said:

yeah, and in that shot the difference is less noticable.

I've never seen these weird facial expressions (in the other screens) that make him almost (well, almost?) unrecognisable.

Sometimes it looks like a Flash version of the game. Maybe because of the 2D approach.
Anyway, as long as the game is fun. And it looks like it could be.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Always-honest said:
yeah, and in that shot the difference is less noticable.

I've never seen these weird facial expressions (in the other screens) that make him almost (well, almost?) unrecognisable.

Sometimes it looks like a Flash version of the game. Maybe because of the 2D approach.
Anyway, as long as the game is fun. And it looks like it could be.
Oooh, you don't like the facial expressions.

I thought you didn't like the concept that he looked like a 2D cartoon at all.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I love the 2D art and the 2D animation. It's absolutely stunning, especially in motion. I want more highly polished 2D games like this. With the amount of video-ram available in today's machines (Wii excluded) you can do some pretty special things.

Sad to see that this missed Christmas... like so many other games. The last half of 2010 was a bit of a disappointment to me with a couple of exceptions.

Thunderbear said:
Sad to see that this missed Christmas... like so many other games.

This, Under Siege and the PSN/Live versions of Torchlight are 3 digital titles that were targeted to come out right before Christmas and all of them ended up getting delayed for one reason or another. They were also the 3 titles that I wanted the most.

Nirolak said:
Oooh, you don't like the facial expressions.

I thought you didn't like the concept that he looked like a 2D cartoon at all.
well, that (2D) could be great in theory. But i'm not yet convinced (maybe i will be though..) about this as a whole. Sometimes it looks polished and sometimes it just lookes cheap.. not well made.

seat

Nirolak said:
The character designs are pretty different. The original has a more conservative Disney-like look to it, and the recent installment is zanier-looking, similar to a lot of modern cartoons and flash games. It also doesn't look nearly as polished.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
SolidSnakex said:
This, Under Siege and the PSN/Live versions of Torchlight are 3 digital titles that were targeted to come out right before Christmas and all of them ended up getting delayed for one reason or another. They were also the 3 titles that I wanted the most.

Also Hard Corps. Kinda disappointing though.

Link Man

Banned
seat said:
The character designs are pretty different. The original has a more conservative Disney-like look to it, and the recent installment is zanier-looking, similar to a lot of modern cartoons and flash games. It also doesn't look nearly as polished.
Yeah, it does have that Ren & Stimpy or Cow & Chicken vibe. That could very easily be pushing some people away.

ULTROS! said:
Also Hard Corps. Kinda disappointing though.

I forgot all about that. Delays are one of the most annoying things about downloadable games. It seems like they can be delayed without any announcement happening.

Top Bottom