• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman's a trophy in Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS...Wait, WHAT?!

Crayolan

WhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckWhatthefuckvWhatthefuckWhatthefuck

WHY IS SAKURAI TOYING WITH US?

LiK

i meant more specifically in terms of the thread title alluding to rayman being a character. but then turning out to be a trophy

Well, true. But Rayman is completely unexpected so def new news for a trophy. Who knows, still got the announcement coming.

I've always thought Simon Belmont should be a character in these games. Along with Pac-Man and Mega Man.

2 out of 3 ain't bad, though.
Many wanted Simon Belmont in these games. As much as I like the MGS series, I think it makes more sense to have Simon Belmont as a playable character than Snake.

Watch this be Sakurai's tactic to make everyone suddenly doubt that whole "it's probably Shulk being revealed tomorrow" thing so that everyone is surprised all over again.

Consider Rayman confirmed as a future DLC character... postponed for contractual reasons to match his simultaneous appearance in Conker's Bad Fur Melee and PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale with Cheese.

Onesimos

I had to wonder how many third-party characters will be represented in the upcoming Smash Bros game. Having a Western-designed character like Rayman is not what I expected, but at least Smash Bros. will not be a Japanese-only effect as was the case in previous games.

Mariolee

Watch this be Sakurai's tactic to make everyone suddenly doubt that whole "it's probably Shulk being revealed tomorrow" thing so that everyone is surprised all over again.

Well, there's no way anyone would think it's Rayman since everyone introduced as trophies first are never playable.

Never forget:
rayman_legends_nfc_wii_u_gamepad.jpg

I think Nintendo did let Ubisoft on all WiiU stuff early but failed to finish all tech on time Amiibo is now a thing and Ubisoft has bailed so much for that

Votron

Well this is fucking bizarre.

I adore Rayman 2/Origins/Legends so I wouldn't mind Rayman being in Smash (though Snake should be the next 3rd party), but it's weird if he's only in as a trophy.

FUck Konami!.. I won't want snake near the roster unless they consider a wiiU a console they can ACTUALLY release a snake game on..

Love seeing Smash evolve into a celebration of video games in general and not just of Nintendo's works. Rayman deserves a spot for sure.
He deserves to be playable!

AdanVC

At this pace I think it's now possible to see Goku in Smash as a tropy at least. Now that I think of it, Rayman could be an excellent playable character in Smash.

Is him in trophy form pretty much a deconfirmation? Rayman makes sense in Smash (and it would give me hope for Wonder Red :( )

With apologies to acolytes of Simon Belmont, Rayman is in my view the best candidate for an as yet unrepresented third party (I say "as yet unrepresented" because the one I actually want is Viewtiful Joe, though Capcom is accounted for already)—but if it turns out this trophy is a prelude to revealing his inclusion as a playable character, I am going to be particularly miffed that owing to development schedules we are probably still not getting Wonder Red.

ZeroGravity

???

Pac-Man has appeared any every Nintendo console since his inception and even had a collaboration game directly made by Miyamoto (Vs.). PacMan World Series was also one of the few major third party sellers on the GameCube. Rayman has also seen major presence on all systems since the Game Boy Color.
I'm aware. There are a lot of characters that also have plenty of games of Nintendo systems. Pac-Man really has nothing to do with the history of Nintendo though. Same with Rayman.

Sonic and Mega Man make sense, and Snake was done as a favor. At this point, it's clear they're simply furthering the inclusion of other aspects of gaming history, which Pac-Man falls more under.

Unfortunately that was thrown out the window the moment Pac-Man was in the game, who has even less to do with Nintendo than Rayman.

Aside from all the Mario Kart Arcade GP and Miyamoto things, Nintendo has even designed their own Pac-Man game!
EDIT: Beaten; somehow I missed Dr. Feel Good's post.

I'm aware. There are a lot of characters that also have plenty of games of Nintendo systems. Pac-Man really has nothing to do with the history of Nintendo though. Same with Rayman.

Sonic and Mega Man make sense, and Snake was done as a favor. At this point, it's clear they're simply furthering the inclusion of other aspects of gaming history, which Pac-Man falls more under.

This part seems arbitrary; they make more sense to you than Pac-Man does. That doesn't mean Pac-Man doesn't deserve to be there, it just means you personally think he's ill-fitted for the role. I disagree.

Paranerd

Neo Member
I guess if Rayman is playable, the Rabbids would have to be in there in some form (assist trophy?).

This really caught me off guard, and I'm not sure what to make of it.

That being said, I look forward to seeing Shulk, since I liked Xenoblade.

HUELEN10

I am glad Ray is in it, really I am, but I'm not gonna lie; if pizza girl doesn't get so much as a trophy at this point, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Besides MegaMan is this the first third party trophy?!

GUYS. I LOVE RAYMAN.

I was seriously hoping he would be a playable character since Rayman Legends was announced as a Wii U exclusive! But I lost all hope when it went multiplatform and delayed for seven months.

I DON'T EVEN CARE IF HE IS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER OR NOT (well I kinda do). THIS IS AWESOME. THANK YOU BLESSED SAKURAI. I LOVE YOU.

Now where is my next Rayman game, Ubisoft? : )

edit: I suck at making avatars. : (

THIS IS THE BEST SMASH ANNOUNCEMENT YET.

WHAT. NOTHING MAKES SENSE ANYMORE.

lol @ slot bullshit

And even if slots were a thing, characters like Chrom are much more "a waste of slot" than a memorable mascot like Rayman.

Slots are a thing, but not in the sense that there's an arbitrary number limit on playable characters. Making a playable smash character takes resources, time, testing, and so on. Since there's a deadline for the game to get done, some things have to get dumped. Like how in Brawl Roy was dropped even after work had already started on him. In that sense, there are an undefined but limited amount of "slots." I think that we should come up with another word for it, but that's a different discussion.

FUck Konami!.. I won't want snake near the roster unless they consider a wiiU a console they can ACTUALLY release a snake game on..
Wasn't any different a situation when there were no Metal Gear Solid games on the Wii yet Snake got into Brawl (plus a ton of MGS2/3/4/Peace Walker stuff)!

Canon

Banned
Uh... I don't really care if he gets in, but after getting screwed over by Ubisoft with Legends it's a surprise.

daripad

What a surprise, now I want this to be a playable character and destroy the gematsu leaks and.be surprised
it's going to be Shulk, that's for.sure.

Top Bottom