• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman's a trophy in Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS...Wait, WHAT?!

Cipherr

If they can bring in great characters from other series on top of the great Nintendo characters then that is a slam fucking dunk. And also gives hope for the next PBA, if Nintendo can get pac-man then surely third parties are opening to the possibility of their characters in games made by other studios.

I wanna see a updated fucking VECTORMAN. First game to get him will be bought hard as hell.

Fandangox

when did we start thinking that a trophy means not playable?

don't you unlock player trophies in Smash?

Well first. All smash 4 newcomers have been introduced in a video/trailer. Second, it would be specially odd to introduce a third party in POTD in trophy form, not even game play shot. Third, the way the POTD is phrased makes it sound like he is not playable since Ubisoft sent the model as opposed to Namco and Sakurai's team making it like they did for all other characters.

Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man: The most iconic third-party video game characters ever... Worthy of being playable fighters in Smash Bros, complete with stages, music, assist trophies and items.

Rayman: Only worthy of being a normal-ass trophy in Smash Bros. Not even an assist trophy, let alone a playable fighter.

Ubisoft would have to play nice with Nintendo to get that kind of treatment

Well first. All smash 4 newcomers have been introduced in a video/trailer. Second, it would be specially odd to introduce a third party in POTD in trophy form, not even game play shot. Third, the way the POTD is phrased makes it sound like he is not playable since Ubisoft sent the model as opposed to Namco and Sakurai's team making it like they did for all other characters.

Sakurai could still troll a POTD as a trophy and playable later, it is his style to do tricky things

atr0cious

Never forget:
rayman_legends_nfc_wii_u_gamepad.jpg

Are we looking at the game Yves was hinting at that's waiting for more families? You think he's waiting for Amiibo to drop? He's been really vocal about the future in regards to Nintendo.

Makes since in regards to numbers you would need to want to even think about producing mass amounts of toys for an already ailing gimmick.

It seems to be more likely that Ubisoft approached Nintendo too late into development. He could very well end up being DLC. If I were most of you guys, GAF. I would get in touch with Sal so he can talk to his source about this.

Well, it's been known for ages Smash 4 was in development and after seeing Snake and Sonic in Brawl, you'd think that Ubi would have seen the potential for Rayman in Smash a long long time ago. Especially when Rayman Legends was going to be an exclusive. I would definitely be interested to know how this came about. The whole tone of this reveal is so casual, it's really strange. I wouldn't be surprised actually if there really was more to this.

edit: oh i just saw some of the earlier links where it showed that Ubi definitely contacted Nintendo about this etc ... so bizarre

Are we looking at the game Yves was hinting at that's waiting for more families? You think he's waiting for Amiibo to drop? He's been really vocal about the future in regards to Nintendo.

Makes since in regards to numbers you would need to want to even think about producing mass amounts of toys for an already ailing gimmick.

If Amiibos make a lot of money this Holiday I can see Ubisoft coming back full force trying to get rabbids and rayman on the amiibo train. or even make their own toys to life platform the risk is huge tho

atr0cious

It was from the early leaked Rayman Legends trailer.

Yes, but Ubisoft is privy to stuff most aren't with Nintendo, especially because of the second screen concept, cause Ubi to create a whole division.

The picture of the Rabid and Desmond make perfect sense for Amiibo, especially if Nintendo has some kind of toybox of their own they're planning. Yves would want as many houses as possible with Wii Us before even 2 to mass produce a Desmond Amiibo, exclusively on a platform with the worst sales and reputation for ports, especially from Ubisoft.

Cuburt

Well, it's been known for ages Smash 4 was in development and after seeing Snake and Sonic in Brawl, you'd think that Ubi would have seen the potential for Rayman in Smash a long long time ago. Especially when Rayman Legends was going to be an exclusive. I would definitely be interested to know how this came about. The whole tone of this reveal is so casual, it's really strange. I wouldn't be surprised actually if there really was more to this.

Just like how Snake, Sonic, Pac-Man, and Megaman have all been said to have been ideas back during the development of Melee and Brawl, it's possible that Rayman has been a suggestion that's been floated around for a while.

Rychu Supadude

Neo Member
I think I figured out the REAL reason for this...

So all the business and creative heads from Ninty and Ubi were in a boardroom

And they're passing a flash drive with Rayman's new 3D model around the table

There's laughing, shouting, hugging, crying over appropriate terms of agreement

The deal was seconds away from being finalised, when...

An intern rushed to stick his head into the room and said "um, it's completely impossible to accurately represent a limbless character with floating appendages as an Amiibo figure"

The suits start to pack up their empty briefcases, but then Sakurai declares "no, wait! An unexpected trophy inclusion is the perfect way to fuck with everyone's heads!"

He strolls out with a chuckle. The remaining executives shrug their shoulders and decide to flip a coin...

AND NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY

Conan-san

You'd think given the shit Ubi gave Nintendo that this would be the last thing Sakurai would ok unless part of a joke ("BASH RAYMAN'S STUPID DUMB FACE WHICH IS STUPID IN" bonus round ala the car in SF2.)

I know I wouldn't give them the space on the disc.

Ubisoft must have known amiibos was coming to Smash4

still don't see how you make a Rayman amiibo with his floating parts
every playable character in smash will have an amiibo that is why I want Bayonetta in so bad

this also makes me hype for Shulk amiibo that will work in Smash and XCX

You'd think given the shit Ubi gave Nintendo that this would be the last thing Sakurai would ok unless part of a joke ("BASH RAYMAN'S STUPID DUMB FACE WHICH IS STUPID IN" bonus round ala the car in SF2.)

Or maybe they don't fucking care about being petty and know that it's just business?
Jesus this kind of reasoning is of a 12 year old.
Same thing that makes people think Snake SHOULD be cut. Who fucking cares, he adds something to the game, he's a famous character, who cares if Konami doesn't publish games on WiiU? My God.

Richie

Given Sakurai's philosophy of "not gonna put just any third party character in the game" (Developer Direct, 2013, referrencing playable Mega Man), this could be seen as a middle finger to Ubisoft, especially if Rayman's case is unique.

Dont think such was the intention tho.

Aβydoς;120934228 said:
Or maybe they don't fucking care about being petty and know that it's just business?
Jesus this kind of reasoning is of a 12 year old.
Same thing that makes people think Snake SHOULD be cut. Who fucking cares, he adds something to the game, he's a famous character, who cares if Konami doesn't publish games on WiiU? My God.
but my feelings would be personally hurt

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
9Hcc3HS.jpg

bPakYk0.jpg

Well, this is QUITE a surprise INDEED......

It looks like his other eye is wider, which leads me to think that the optimal viewing angle is from the other side.

Combine this with the playable/trophy data miscommunication idea from page 1 and you have the funniest SSB trophy backstory ever!

Hatchtag

Banned

Given Sakurai's philosophy of "not gonna put just any third party character in the game" (Developer Direct, 2013, referrencing playable Mega Man), this could be seen as a middle finger to Ubisoft, ESPECIALLY if Rayman's case is unique.

I'm absolutely sure Sakurai concerns himself with business deals. He certainly doesn't make friends with people who don't make games exclusively for Nintendo platforms, such as Kamiya, Kojima, or Suda51, and he definitely doesn't put characters into his games because he likes them or is friends with their creators, but rather picks all characters based solely on how nice their companies have been to Nintendo.

Mistle

The model/pose/whatever looks bad imo, could've found a better way to represent him lol.

Also, the story of Ubi actually wanting this model to be a character is rather funny... makes them seem so desperate haha

With Ubi ignoring and talking shit about Nintendo, it would be a nail in the coffin for their relationship if Nintendo acted the same way in return. Seems like some kind of passive-aggressive relationship where Nintendo is being nice to Ubi because of some of the things they've done for them in the past (or recently ZombiU etc) and hope they'll get back to that one day.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Ubisoft must have known amiibos was coming to Smash4

still don't see how you make a Rayman amiibo with his floating parts
every playable character in smash will have an amiibo that is why I want Bayonetta in so bad

this also makes me hype for Shulk amiibo that will work in Smash and XCX

I'm thinking that IF he's in and DOES have an Amiibo, they'll be "floating" via the transparent plastic parts that are keeping Peach up on her figurine.

Although even THEN it would look off.

But we ARE talking about Nintendo, who always strives to push innovation...

Rayman Amiibo parts held afloat via G-Diffuser tech confirmed.

I think one of the reasons Rayman would get a shout out in a Smash game is because a lot of mascot characters tend to fade into obscurity very easily while Rayman has survived over the years, and the Rabbids franchise is popular with kids (at least as far as I know).

Aim_Ed

Since, Legends ended up a multiplat this seems like such a wasted character spot.

Rayman totally fits the game though......... So does Snake.

Hatchtag

Banned
Pit, Link, Fox, DK, and Peach all use clear parts in their Amiibos. Rayman could easily due the same without contradicting the established Amiibo style much.

3bdelilah

Banned
Even though Rayman would be absolutely hilarious and fun to have in Smash, I believe Smash should be about pure Nintendo exclusive characters. Be it first, second or maybe third party, as long as the rights are with Nintendo. Which means no Snake as well.

3bdelilah

Banned
As someone who only played SSB on the N64: Is there anything special about the trophies?
The trophies in it self are usually just 3D renders with information about the character, but an assist trophy actually helps you during the fights. Honestly wouldn't make much sense to put a trophy in if it's not an assist trophy in the very least.

And if I'm wrong, please correct me.

PSA: Don't search Rayman on DA.

I was looking for fan-made figures for Amiibo ideas. Big mistake.
Eh, I just did for a quick laugh and unless I have some filters on it was surprisingly decent fan art of the newer 2D games? :I

Honestly that in-itself is surprising for DA so.

The trophies in it self are usually just 3D renders with information about the character, but an assist trophy actually helps you during the fights. Honestly wouldn't make much sense to put a trophy in if it's not an assist trophy in the very least.

And if I'm wrong, please correct me.

There's hundreds of trophies that are just trophies.

Top Bottom