• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE4 , MGS Mobile screens

FoneBone

RE4 looks like... RE4, if it were a first-gen Dreamcast title. Pretty impressive for a phone game, though. And the Force Unleashed looks decent, but it's pretty obviously using pre-rendered backgrounds.

batbeg

JaCy said:
Wow those look pretty good for cellphone games. They look like early PS1 games.

I'm impressed,especially with the MGS game.
Snake even has a nice ass on the cellphone game! :p

Words can not describe how wrong that statement is.

Why is it that FFVII:BC still hasn't been released on any carrier outside Japan? It doesn't speak well for the odds of any of these Japanese mobile games making it over here if a 2D game like that can't.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
SpokkX said:
what the.. why not convert these games to DS?

Bet my Sony Ericsson P1i can run then though.. but do not want to play on a mobile

or even better psp games, 3d games on DS makes my eyes bleed.

Mason

What the fuck kind of cell phones can run games that look like that? I know there are some phones with fairly impressive 3d chips but that's just amazing.

Can I run them on this?
samsung_sgh-x105.jpg

kbear

I was expecting some sort of sprite-based side-scroller before I clicked this thread. Color me impressed... blown away even. Maybe it's time to start taking mobile phones as a gaming platform more seriously? What is different from a phone that plays those types of games and a DS / other mobile gaming device? Those 3D graphics are as good or better than anything I've seen on DS. Maybe it's time to add cell phones to NPD? definitely in a few years when these phones become more mainstream and hit the U.S. market

eso76

kinn said:
Man that looks amazing for mobile phones.

Just saw pics of VF2 and a video of Ridge Racer on mobile as well in another thread here. And now this!

yeah, i just wanted to say that re4 and mgs don't look more advanced than ridge racer on my mobile, i believe it's the same technology. didn't know it was posted in another thread.

Btw, RR is awesome, it even includes a good rendition of the original soundtrack, and graphics are almost on par with psx version.

Too bad playing on mobile phones is always an awful experience no matter how good the game itself is. Those things are only good for puzzle games or strategy.

dr3upmushroom said:
Wow, is that the MGS game that they were talking about on the KPR? Can American phones run that?

Yes, It was announced in Kojima Report that it will be out in USA [verizon] in Q1 2008.

MGS Mobile site opens
1 Feb 2008 by Jim Sensei, MGS:TUS

New details emerge on plot, controlling Snake, and the use of the phone's camera.

The official Japanese webpage for the recently-confirmed-for-US-release Metal Gear Solid Mobile has now opened. And of course, with it's grand opening comes all new information.

The story takes place between Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2. Ocelot has leaked all the technical information on Metal Gear REX to the world. As a counter-measure, Snake and Otacon form Philanthropy, an anti-Metal Gear organization whose goal is the complete eradication of all Metal Gears. It isn't long until Otacon receives his first lead on development of a new Metal Gear. AI programmer Reed has agreed to reveal new details on the Metal Gear in exchange for assistance in her escape.

Player's control Snake using the keypad on the phone. Gameplay is a strange combination of MGS2 and MGS3. For example, you can take pictures using your phone's digital camera and transfer them onto Snake's sneaking suit, creating an all new camouflage for Snake to wear. The camera also controls the in-game camera, and will also be to aim Nikita missiles. Hanging off ledges and hiding in lockers will also be possible in MGSM. VR missions will also be included.

http://www.metalgearsolid.org/show_news.php?id=1441

DieH@rd said:
VR missions ftw
mode_img02.jpg
-
intro_img01.jpg
-
ac_img02.jpg

opr_img03.jpg
-
opr_img01.jpg
-
mc_img01.jpg

MomoPufflet said:
Stop praising these damn cellphone games. Don't encourage them.

hell no, keep praising this shit so they either bring them to america or release ports on the DS or some shit like that.

just watch this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nd-SLaHqKW4

has basic game like controls and damn good graphics (looks between PSP and DS level), if things like that become wide spread I wouldent mind mobile phone gaming.

my two issues with it at this point is availability and control method, once they get those worked out I will be happy playing games on my phone. I already play lumines, meteos, etc on my phone when I am waiting for my next class to start or something like that, to have even better games to play would be awesome.

DrBo42

I'm fine with games on cellphones, but when you start fucking with a series and put an exclusive story on a mobile is when I get angry. I love MGS but I'm not upgrading phones to play that. That bullshit should not be encouraged.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Mobiles have been capable of near-Dreamcast level graphics since 2004, before the DS and PSP.

Lazy8s said:
Mobiles have been capable of near-Dreamcast level graphics since 2004, before the DS and PSP.

No they haven`t, it wasn`t until late last year when the new docomo series of phones came out along with Ridge Racers mobile.

Pharmacy

Banned
Really, it should be a handheld console first, phone second.

As soon as you tack on game functionality to a mobile phone it doesn't work.

Looks good, but not that much better what NGage did in 2004. Couple screens from Ghost Recon running on N-Gage:

js_ngage_02.jpg
js_ngage_04.jpg

Its a myth that Japanese phones are much more powerfull than phones we "westerns" have available. Its just that powerfull phones are much more common with japanese people so making a demanding game is more reasonable business-wise.

Latest smartphones from Nokia/SE etc could run easily RE4 and MGS.

MidiSurf

Banned
DrBo42 said:
but when you start fucking with a series and put an exclusive story on a mobile is when I get angry. I love MGS but I'm not upgrading phones to play that. That bullshit should not be encouraged.

What's wrong with Mobile exclusives ? I really hope the mobile gaming takes of soon, it's dam big business even now and i hope it will get bigger. I only hope that the Java-era ends soon i fucking resent Java games and it's giving bad imago for mobile gaming.

IMO Nokia is taking mobile gaming in right direction with the new ngage line-up. The first one was disaster cos' it was only one model but now Nokia has N-series that is fully compatible with ngage services.

http://www.n-gage.com/get_ngage/devices.html

MidiSurf said:
What's wrong with Mobile exclusives ? I really hope the mobile gaming takes of soon, it's dam big business even now and i hope it will get bigger. I only hope that the Java-era ends soon i fucking resent Java games and it's giving bad imago for mobile gaming.

IMO Nokia is taking mobile gaming in right direction with the new ngage line-up. The first one was disaster cos' it was only one model but now Nokia has N-series that is fully compatible with ngage services.

http://www.n-gage.com/get_ngage/devices.html
Yep, for example Brothers in Arms for devices supporting N-Gage platform looks pretty good:
brothers-in-arms-screens-20070829030759674.jpg

MidiSurf

Banned
Project Midway said:
Yep, for example Brothers in Arms for devices supporting N-Gage platform looks pretty good:
brothers-in-arms-screens-20070829030759674.jpg

I was just about to post that same pic :D.

Trailer

And the trailer looks pretty good, lots of stuff going around and it still looks more then decent.

And the ngage game One looks amazing too --> One

Pharmacy

Banned
some of this mobile stuff looks great

30utvh2.png

2qlhfh1.png

1z54y01.png

qsva6v.png

34yxtgh.png

but as i said before, make the handheld first, then design phone functionality around that

kbear

Pharmacy said:
Really, it should be a handheld console first, phone second.

As soon as you tack on game functionality to a mobile phone it doesn't work.
Pharmacy said:
but as i said before, make the handheld first, then design phone functionality around that
Why?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think all of the portable 3D devices (including DS and PSP) benefit from what developers have learned about 3D rendering over the years. I believe that, armed with modern knowledge, people could crank out things on PSX, Saturn, and N64 that would stomp everything they ever saw released into the ground.

Not to say that those machines are more powerful than the newer hardware, but I think new ideas could allow for some nifty results.

kbear

Pharmacy said:
cos the gaming side gets neglected if its a phone, its just tacked on
RE4 and MGS mobile look pretty damn awesome to me -- far from neglected and 'tacked on'.

My phone can run doom clones and some 3d games like Rally Pro Championship (great fun) and the mobile is only about two and a half years old.

I tried downloading a motorbike racing game the other week from the Orange network but the game was uncompatable with my 7610, my mobile is showing it's age now.

Only reason I want to keep using it is because the phone is great and it has a lovely large screen.

2aihlck.jpg

Pachimari

Diablohead said:
My phone can run doom clones and some 3d games like Rally Pro Championship (great fun) and the mobile is only about two and a half years old.

I tried downloading a motorbike racing game the other week from the Orange network but the game was uncompatable with my 7610, my mobile is showing it's age now.

Only reason I want to keep using it is because the phone is great and it has a lovely large screen.

2aihlck.jpg
I have had that Nokia phone for years as well, in both colors. Do you know any website with games, programs and such for that version? - until I get myself a japanese cellphone that is. =)

kbear

Pharmacy said:
try and control them comfortably

oh wait
Have you played them to see what the controls are like? I haven't, so I can't pass judgment. You must have, though.

Anastacio said:
I have had that Nokia phone for years as well, in both colors. Do you know any website with games, programs and such for that version? - until I get myself a japanese cellphone that is. =)
I use to know a website that would review games and give a list of what mobile but the URL slips my mind right now.

Pharmacy

Banned
kbear said:
Have you played them to see what the controls are like? I haven't, so I can't pass judgment. You must have, though.

yes i have played them all the way through and completed them and unlocked all the secrets despite reviewers not even doing so yet, of course

shut up and just THINK about the controls. its going to be bad, you know it is

kbear

Pharmacy said:
yes i have played them all the way through and completed them and unlocked all the secrets despite reviewers not even doing so yet, of course

shut up and just THINK about the controls. its going to be bad, you know it is
I don't, actually, since I've never played them. They could be simplistic and intuitive or terrible, who knows... certainly not me, because I haven't played them.

Pharmacy

Banned
kbear said:
I don't, actually, since I've never played them. They could be simplistic and intuitive or terrible, who knows... certainly not me, because I haven't played them.

how many games haven't you played because they aren't your thing?

they could be your thing, you're just being ignorant by not playing them

hey run out to a gamestore now and buy every game there and play them all then you'll know

kbear

Pharmacy said:
how many games haven't you played because they aren't your thing?

they could be your thing, you're just being ignorant by not playing them

hey run out to a gamestore now and buy every game there and play them all then you'll know
You're going off on a tangent after being absolutely dismantled.

Haunted

I don't accept mobiles as gaming devices beyond Tetris clones.

Handheld gaming is already bigger than console gaming in Japan, now add the rapidly growing mobile market to that trend... and home consoles in Japan will be fucked in a couple of years.

Haunted One said:
I don't accept mobiles as gaming devices beyond Tetris clones.

Handheld gaming is already bigger than console gaming in Japan, now add the rapidly growing mobile market to that trend... and home consoles in Japan will be fucked in a couple of years.

Not if the Wii has anything to say about it! (Ironic how everyone here on GAF considered the Wii to be the death sentence for console gaming yet it's the only thing keeping it alive now!)

Oh and BTW all mobile phones suck for games period, the controls are just awful for everything except Snake (And maybe a few interesting games for the iphone, but without a stylus or buttons, I doubt it'll see much in terms of games)

Mason

The N-Gage games you guys posted screens of look OK but not nearly as good as RE4 and MGS. Look how free of jaggies MGS and RE4 are.... look how nice the textures look.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past

One: Who's Next is a game for the new N-Gage platform. It uses advanced graphics techniques like normal mapping.

New N-Gage compatible devices use the same hardware as DoCoMo FOMAs, anyway. More examples of the hardware's capability were shown in previous threads.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172564

The 901i series, which came out years ago, were the first DoCoMos to include an MBX family GPU, regardless of how much extra time was needed to start to overcome API and data size restrictions and for decent looking mobile games to be released.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Lazy8s said:

One: Who's Next is a game for the new N-Gage platform. It uses advanced graphics techniques like normal mapping.

New N-Gage compatible devices use the same hardware as DoCoMo FOMAs, anyway. More examples of the hardware's capability were shown in previous threads.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172564

The 901i series, which came out years ago, were the first DoCoMos to include an MBX family GPU, regardless of how much extra time was needed to start to overcome API and data size restrictions and for decent looking mobile games to be released.

that does look impressive.

Top Bottom