• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reality of console visuals surpassing PC visual fidelity

Wiktor

Fear was actually well done on 360. A mix between medium and high and 30fps with HDR.

Fear on PS3 was jacked up.

Yeah, but inferior port isn't what you expect from next-gen console at launch. Compare it to how ridiculously good PSX, Dreamcast or PlayStation 2 early games looked. Heck, even Xbox1 had Halo and while I'm not a fan of that game, graphically it really did blew away anything PC had in FPS genre in 2001

Xanadu

Banned
Yeah, but inferior port isn't what you expect from next-gen console at launch. Compare it to how ridiculously good PSX, Dreamcast or PlayStation 2 early games looked. Heck, even Xbox1 had Halo and while I'm not a fan of that game, graphically it really did blew away anything PC had in FPS genre in 2001

gran turismo 3 blew everything away imo

Reiko

Banned
gran turismo 3 blew everything away imo

Dead or Alive 3

deadoralive3_screen012.jpg

deadoralive3_screen017.jpg

Pranay

I doubt you'll see 200W and 270W TDP beasts from either MS or Sony..

Actually, you won't.

PS4 might go with an APU + discrete GPU latest rumour.

But well Im pretty a lot of gaffers will be surprised, last year we had a thread that next gen consoles will only play bf3 at 1080 p and 30 fps and also few people predicting they will have 2 gb ram atmost

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Dead or Alive 3

deadoralive3_screen017.jpg
There were some truly amazing games that year.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was really my favorite of the bunch as it delivered a high level of detail at 60 fps with so many incredible effects that we had never before seen.

GT3 came out running at 60 fps as well with highly detailed models, brilliant reflections, and even doing things like simulating the effect of sunlight on the road.

Silent Hill 2 was released in September of that year and was the very first game to feature fully dynamic soft shadows cast by a light source. All objects in the world could cast proper, soft shadows by pointing the flashlight at them. The game also featured high poly characters (for its day) on top of this.

ICO wasn't a technical showpiece, I suppose, but it DID deliver lighting effects the likes of which we had never really seen. The way the sunlight worked in that game was truly remarkable for 2001.

Halo didn't throw around all that much geometry for its time but it was one of the first examples of heavy pixel shader usage.

DOA3 featured obscenely detailed models and backgrounds running at 60 fps.

Rogue Squadron 2 offered some of the most detailed geometry ever seen in a game up to that point along with plenty of other effects (including full self-shadowing).

...and so it went on and on.

In 2001, the most demanding PC game was likely Max Payne. It looked nice enough, but environments and character models were extremely boxy, post processing was nowhere to be seen, and none of the modern shader effects made it in. It was an interesting time...

Xanadu

Banned
There were some truly amazing games that year.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was really my favorite of the bunch as it delivered a high level of detail at 60 fps with so many incredible effects that we had never before seen.

GT3 came out running at 60 fps as well with highly detailed models, brilliant reflections, and even doing things like simulating the effect of sunlight on the road.

Silent Hill 2 was released in September of that year and was the very first game to feature fully dynamic soft shadows cast by a light source. All objects in the world could cast proper, soft shadows by pointing the flashlight at them. The game also featured high poly characters (for its day) on top of this.

ICO wasn't a technical showpiece, I suppose, but it DID deliver lighting effects the likes of which we had never really seen. The way the sunlight worked in that game was truly remarkable for 2001.

Halo didn't throw around all that much geometry for its time but it was one of the first examples of heavy pixel shader usage.

DOA3 featured obscenely detailed models and backgrounds running at 60 fps.

Rogue Squadron 2 offered some of the most detailed geometry ever seen in a game up to that point along with plenty of other effects (including full self-shadowing).

...and so it went on and on.

In 2001, the most demanding PC game was likely Max Payne. It looked nice enough, but environments and character models were extremely boxy, post processing was nowhere to be seen, and none of the modern shader effects made it in. It was an interesting time...
there something about max payne graphics that i absolutely love, i cant put my figner on it but it just looks really nice to me, its crystal clear. i guess i prefer graphics before bloom and all that jazz

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
PDZ definitely looks much nicer than Chaos Theory and is performing some impressive operations. Parallax textures, fully dynamic shadows, per-object motion blur (one of the first examples ever), etc. It has a pretty nasty art style and some performance issues but it was clearly a massive leap over Chaos Theory.

Chaos Theory was 2/3 (parallax mapping and fully dynamic shadows) and the desire for motion blur features comes down to preference (you love those things, I think they look like shit). It also ran just fine at 720p on decent PCs at the time and 6 months earlier too.

z88f7.png

there something about max payne graphics that i absolutely love, i cant put my figner on it but it just looks really nice to me, its crystal clear. i guess i prefer graphics before bloom and all that jazz

The textures were super high res, I had just bought a new computer at the time and playing Max Payne @ 1280 * 1024 was absolutely incredible, blew anything out of the water compared to my console games in CRTs.

dark10x

Chaos Theory was 2/3 (parallax mapping and fully dynamic shadows) and the desire for motion blur features comes down to preference (you love those things, I think they look like shit). It also ran just fine at 720p on decent PCs at the time and 6 months earlier too.

z88f7.png
Could you show me a shot demonstrating the parallax textures in Chaos Theory? I don't recall seeing ANYTHING like what PDZ had on offer.

Also, whether you like it or not, you have to admit that per-object motion blur is a demanding effect.

The textures were absolutely incredible for 2005.

5VTEz.jpg

Wonko_C

Could you show me a shot demonstrating the parallax textures in Chaos Theory? I don't recall seeing ANYTHING like what PDZ had on offer.

Also, whether you like it or not, you have to admit that per-object motion blur is a demanding effect.

5VTEz.jpg

The textures are absolutely incredible for 2012, even.
:(

I'd rather have native res at 60fps with nonblurry-looking textures, which is why I love how Ridge Racer 7 looks, and people keep saying it looked like a PS2 game at high resolution? please.

dark10x

Of course the option isn't there just to fuck with people, but that doesn't mean it meets or exceeds what we saw in PDZ.

I'm not even sure what we are arguing about here.

The textures were super high res, I had just bought a new computer at the time and playing Max Payne @ 1280 * 1024 was absolutely incredible, blew anything out of the water compared to my console games in CRTs.
The textures weren't actually that high-res and the level of detail was MUCH lower than the top console games of the time. Max Payne was quite poly starved.

Almost every game that's being released on multiple platforms next year is being released on PC as well. What makes people think that all of a sudden next gen games are going to look better on these new consoles when they will be released alongside PC versions as well.
New engines and popularisation of new effects tend to follow console-generations. PC-gaming tends to take a leap at the same time, or slightly after, new consoles are released.

Reiko

Banned
Of course the option isn't there just to fuck with people, but that doesn't mean it meets or exceeds what we saw in PDZ.

The textures weren't actually that high-res and the level of detail was MUCH lower than the top console games of the time. Max Payne was quite poly starved.

To add, The Xbox port ran smooth. Mostly 60fps with an odd judder here and there.

The PS2 version had worse textures and a cinematic framerate.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

You claimed it was performing some impressive operations. Chaos Theory was doing 2 out of 3 six months before it and it handled them just fine at 720p. How is this debate confusing?

It had Parallax Textures on tons of surfaces. It was one of the first games to fully-embrace Shader Model 3.0.

dark10x

You claimed it was performing some impressive operations. Chaos Theory was doing 2 out of 3 six months before it and it handled them just fine at 720p. How is this debate confusing?

It had Parallax Textures on tons of surfaces. It was one of the first games to fully-embrace Shader Model 3.0.
They were still less detailed, but I suppose it was the object blur that left me the most impressed at the time.

It's pretty clear that we have VERY different tastes in regards to visuals, however.

They were still less detailed, but I suppose it was the object blur that left me the most impressed at the time.

It's pretty clear that we have VERY different tastes in regards to visuals, however.

Wow, Splinter Cell Chaos theory had object motion blur? Or do you mean PDZ (which did)?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Are there any other good examples of quality parallax mapping in the game besides that one shot?

Wow, Splinter Cell Chaos theory had object motion blur? Or do you mean PDZ (which did)?
He meant PDZ did.

Actual spec wise. Console are not getting anywhere near a 700 dollar pc and not even close to a 1000-1200 dollar one. Game wise, we will see how many stay exclusive. Pcs will still be pushing higher frames and resolutions.

I dont think anyone is aiming for 1080p games on the new consoles. they would all almost rather have a prettier game running at locked 30 at 720p. I dont even expect that shit to be locked. Its going to be this gen 2.5 all the same problems with prettier games.

dark10x

Are there any other good examples of quality parallax mapping in the game besides that one shot?
Yes. The game uses it CONSTANTLY. Kameo also made heavy use of it.

Unfortunately, there aren't too many shots out there demonstrating this. Most screens are just publisher released shots with the camera angled out over large scenes that don't really allow you to get a good look at textures. If you walk around the levels you'll find parallax textures on many surfaces. I might have to load up the game again later and take some shots in order to demonstrate.

You can see here somewhat, but finding larger shots demonstrating it is tough.

249264.png

I dont even expect that shit to be locked. Its going to be this gen 2.5 all the same problems with prettier games.
Unfortunately, this is a very Western developer kind of issue. It was common on the XBOX and it has become common this generation. Japanese developers used to really care about delivering a perfect balance between performance and visual quality while only a select few Western developers actually put real effort behind this.

Unfortunately, this is a very Western developer kind of issue. It was common on the XBOX and it has become common this generation. Japanese developers used to really care about delivering a perfect balance between performance and visual quality while only a select few Western developers actually put real effort behind this.

yeah. Thats not happening any more. There was only one japanese game this whole generation that made me go wow and that game is pretty much vapor ware at this point. SE has just been terrible at releasing games, they usually look decent. Im glad platinum is going for 60fps.

kinggroin

Banned
I remember explaining to my brother how the effect worked in PDZ. He thought the breaks and cracks were fully tesselated objects...

...until I positioned the camera angle to the side of one of those walls and the effect vanishes (sometimes you could see the p map floating above the base texture).

dark10x

yeah. Thats not happening any more. There was only one japanese game this whole generation that made me go wow and that game is pretty much vapor ware at this point. SE has just been terrible at releasing games, they usually look decent. Im glad platinum is going for 60fps.
Well, it was clear that, early in this generation, Japanese developers struggled to work with modern hardware. In the past, it always seemed as if many Eastern developers preferred to write new engines specifically for each new game. Many developers also were used to working on fixed function hardware (PS2) and didn't have experience with modern graphics hardware. I'm not sure what the reality of the situation was, but Eastern developers simply seemed to target faster framerates more regularly in the past. Hitting 60 fps (or at least a steady 30) always seemed important. That simply hasn't been the case with a large number of Western developers where they seem more interested in pushing systems in other areas at the expense of framerate.

I will say that, while 60 fps wasn't always their target, Capcom did a hell of a job with MT Framework based games.

...until I positioned the camera angle to the side of one of those walls and the effect vanishes (sometimes you could see the p map floating above the base texture).
That wasn't so much of an issue as much as the mipmaps breaking the effect. Up until a mod was created, Crysis had the same issue (POM wasn't compatible with AF initially).

kinggroin

Banned
Well, it was clear that, early in this generation, Japanese developers struggled to work with modern hardware. In the past, it always seemed as if many Eastern developers preferred to write new engines specifically for each new game. Many developers also were used to working on fixed function hardware (PS2) and didn't have experience with modern graphics hardware. I'm not sure what the reality of the situation was, but Eastern developers simply seemed to target faster framerates more regularly in the past. Hitting 60 fps (or at least a steady 30) always seemed important. That simply hasn't been the case with a large number of Western developers where they seem more interested in pushing systems in other areas at the expense of framerate.

I will say that, while 60 fps wasn't always their target, Capcom did a hell of a job with MT Framework based games.

MT was a fantastic meld of modern effects and great performance. A fantastic engine that's given Cap com incredible mileage.

Reiko

Banned
Turn 10 should get high praise for their visuals to 60fps consistency.

Forza 3 and 4 run mostly in a locked 60fps, v-synced, 720p and 2XMSAA or 4XMSAA depending on the load.

That's something straight out of Japanese development.

On the other side of the coin, Polyphony Digital dropped their framerate and image consistency from GT3 and GT4 for GT5. Crazy. But I guess at 1280x1080 they could get away with it.

dark10x

Turn 10 should get high praise for their visuals to 60fps consistency.

Forza 3 and 4 run mostly in a locked 60fps, v-synced, 720p and 2XMSAA or 4XMSAA depending on the load.

That's something straight out of Japanese development.

On the other side of the coin, Polyphony Digital dropped their framerate and image consistency from GT3 and GT4 for GT5. Crazy. But I guess at 1280x1080 they could get away with it.
Absolutely. Turn 10 deserves plenty of praise for delivering a solid 60 fps framerate when even developers like Criterion abandoned it (for shame). Hell, I still haven't been able to completely eliminate slowdown in Most Wanted on my PC. :mad:

GT5 is interesting as, in its current form, it holds 60 fps fairly well but, at launch, it was a mess. The updates they made definitely introduced some dramatic improvements.

I still find it interesting how hardware makers would sell their machines at a loss in exchange for money through licensing and software revenue. I think that's the primary reason why they outstripped PCs in the past (particularly with all the R&D for custom hardware they were doing at the time).

Really wish we would get some actual specs by now, it's getting real tiresome having to rely on rumors and conjecture for what's actually going to be in those machines...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Again, scope matters, so while there was little on PC that used all the effects to the extreme and in your face (and ugly, like PDZ) factor there were also games of a scale consoles hadn't displayed to be capable of, like Age of Empires III, Battlefield 2, Anno 1701, Total War Rome and Medieval II, Guild Wars and others before, on, and past the consoles' launch. Textures and effects and high poly characters don't exist in a vacuum. If someone made photo-realistic pong that wouldn't suddenly show the system it was on is the most capable visually just because no others have photo-realistic pong yet still have other non photo-realistic games that show other great capabilities. Maybe a single unit in Medieval II doesn't show great vs a fighting game's 2-4 fighters but 1000 do.

Sentenza

Again, scope matters, so while there was little on PC that used all the effects to the extreme and in your face (and ugly, like PDZ) factor there were also games of a scale consoles hadn't displayed to be capable of, like Age of Empires III, Battlefield 2, Anno 1701, Total War Rome and Medieval II, Guild Wars and others before, on, and past the consoles' launch. Game visuals don't exist in a vacuum and if someone had made photo-realistic pong that wouldn't suddenly show the system it was on was the most capable visually just because no other systems had a photo-realistic pong yet still had other non photo-realistic games that showed other capabilities. Maybe a single unit in Medieval II doesn't show great visuals vs a fighting game's character but 1000 of those do.
Bingo.

patapuf

I still find it interesting how hardware makers would sell their machines at a loss in exchange for money through licensing and software revenue. I think that's the primary reason why they outstripped PCs in the past (particularly with all the R&D for custom hardware they were doing at the time).

Really wish we would get some actual specs by now, it's getting real tiresome having to rely on rumors and conjecture for what's actually going to be in those machines...

It can turn out well or it can horribly backfire. I don't think sony is in the black overall with the PS3 investments. Though a big reason for that is that they not only took a loss on the specs but also on the blue ray drive.

RedSwirl

And that, my friends is the point. People expecting a heavily customized, secret voodoo infused console to get released next year are kidding themselves. I'm expecting 1080p/30fps with basic DX11 effects at most at least in the beginning. And that's being optimistic. I haven't upgraded in a year and a half and I'm already playing at higher specs.

More or less this. The rumors are currently indicating that the hardware in next gen consoles won't be that exotic or proprietary compared to what manufacturers did in the past. They'll be less different from PCs and thus have fewer unique advantages at the time of launch. That said, I'm maybe expecting Microsoft to slip DX11.1 in there or something. I think you're gonna see devs early next gen abuse tessellation the same way they abused normal mapping in 2005 and 2006.

z88f7.png

Man. I remember running that game on a shitty 2004 laptop and it still probably looked on par with half the 360's launch lineup.

Again, scope matters, so while there was little on PC that used all the effects to the extreme and in your face (and ugly, like PDZ) factor there were also games of a scale consoles hadn't displayed to be capable of, like Age of Empires III, Battlefield 2, Anno 1701, Total War Rome and Medieval II, Guild Wars and others before, on, and past the consoles' launch. Textures and effects and high poly characters don't exist in a vacuum. If someone made photo-realistic pong that wouldn't suddenly show the system it was on is the most capable visually just because no others have photo-realistic pong yet still have other non photo-realistic games that show other great capabilities. Maybe a single unit in Medieval II doesn't show great vs a fighting game's 2-4 fighters but 1000 do.

You have to admit though, nobody really makes those kinds of games on consoles. The only example you can really apply there is Battlefield 2. The current equivalent to that game in comparison to consoles is probably ArmA III, and I have a feeling (or at least I hope) next gen consoles actually would be able to run that game or something like it (even if at lowered settings).

Alexios

You have to admit though, nobody really makes those kinds of games on consoles.
That was half my point given the pong stuff. People weren't making the Gears of War type shooter on PC either (they still aren't). So no there was no equivalent to exceed it on PC. Neither Valve nor IW at the time had that kind of focus. Source was an already couple years old engine with a focus on being scalable to very low end systems, IW wasn't receiving the budgets they received post Modern Warfare for their games or have the same cinematic focus, Crytek had not released anything, etc.

The only example you can really apply there is Battlefield 2.
No, all my examples apply. They show pretty and technically impressive for the time games. People posted 3D fighting games...

The current equivalent to that game in comparison to consoles is probably ArmA III
The current example is probably BF3 since they had to halve the player count/map size for current consoles.

and I have a feeling (or at least I hope) next gen consoles actually would be able to run that game or something like it (even if at lowered settings).
They might, they might not, we don't even know much about the game (I think it's possible it will be neutered compared to ARMAII and it may even be a good thing) I don't see this as an argument against my point which was about last gen and the notion PCs were in fact left behind for a time in terms of capabilities. So I presented games that were impressive in their own right even if not in the same genres. Rather than choose some uglier FPS made in an already outdated engine without Microsoft level of budgeting or the same cinematic direction and aiming to please the lowest end possible, just because it's in a similar genre.

I don't know how future consoles will turn out compared to future PCs and what games will be available to showcase each so I wasn't arguing about that. We'll see what happens, I think they'll appear roughly on par for a time but in reality be lesser compared to a top of the line PC (which may be more costly but has cheaper content in the long run). Then they'll be left behind in the same way current consoles were left behind, but people won't mind because they'll still see tessellated content in to them acceptable resolution and displays, enjoy the odd exclusive, enjoy much of the multi platform library, not care for the PC exclusive library because they aren't and don't care to be into other genres anyway, so for many they may as well not exist just as the games I've posted seemingly didn't exist before in this convo, they're marketed as the next awesome thing, and so on, much like this gen.

Ugggh, all this gaming pc/next gen consoles talk is fucking killing me, I have no idea what I'm going to do when it comes to replacing my 360 & ps3. I kinda convinced myself to do a gaming pc around April next year and skip the new consoles, but then all this talk of consoles holding their own for 1/2 years made me thinking it might be better to go for those, and wait for Maxwell then build a Haswell/Maxwell rig to do me the rest of the generation.

Then there's this talk of valve boxes, that also makes me want to wait and see if they'll provide what amounts to a gaming rig with the other shit/functionality ripped out so I could do that and save some cash instead of building a whole pc just for games and blah.

Basically, I wish next year would hurry up so I can at least commit to an idea in my mind. Changing how I feel day to day right now.

(I'll add though, it's driving me nuts, but it's also fun. Good to know change is coming, either way.)

RedSwirl

That was half my point given the pong stuff. People weren't making the Gears of War type shooter on PC either (they still aren't). So no there was no equivalent to exceed it on PC. Neither Valve nor IW at the time had that kind of focus. Source was an already couple years old engine with a focus on being scalable to very low end systems, IW wasn't receiving the budgets they received post Modern Warfare for their games or have the same cinematic focus, Crytek had not released anything, etc.

Well was I was driving towards was how those games aren't made on consoles mainly because we still can't figure out how to get them to work on a controller. I'm sure if there were a way, they'd be trying to get those games on consoles.

No, all my examples apply. They show pretty and technically impressive for the time games. People posted 3D fighting games...

No one doubts though that you could play a fighting game on a PC. It'd feel awkward on a keyboard, but the inputs are all there.

Ugggh, all this gaming pc/next gen consoles talk is fucking killing me, I have no idea what I'm going to do when it comes to replacing my 360 & ps3. I kinda convinced myself to do a gaming pc around April next year and skip the new consoles, but then all this talk of consoles holding their own for 1/2 years made me thinking it might be better to go for those, and wait for Maxwell then build a Haswell/Maxwell rig to do me the rest of the generation.

Then there's this talk of valve boxes, that also makes me want to wait and see if they'll provide what amounts to a gaming rig with the other shit/functionality ripped out so I could do that and save some cash instead of building a whole pc just for games and blah.

Basically, I wish next year would hurry up so I can at least commit to an idea in my mind. Changing how I feel day to day right now.

(I'll add though, it's driving me nuts, but it's also fun. Good to know change is coming, either way.)

Wait till E3?

Anyway, next gen consoles will probably still have some exclusive games worth getting.

NBtoaster

5VTEz.jpg

Isn't PDZ parralax occlusion mapping, not just parralax mapping?

Wait till E3?

Anyway, next gen consoles will probably still have some exclusive games worth getting.

Pretty much exactly what I'll be doing man haha. Your right too, I'm just trying to avoid getting both consoles THEN a pc. If I could do one or another, it would just be more sensible (not so much a money issue) but I'll probably break. Also now looking at steam sales and the like and thinking "hmm, I could just start piling up on the good deals for when I do have one" and slippery slope things like that :p Like I said though, not trying to complain too long. It's been a long time coming to be able to look at new console options etc.

antitrop

There was nothing on PC that looked like PDZ's textures in 2005, but obviously only because nobody had tried.

PDZ's character models were as bad as its wall textures were good, though. Overall a pretty mediocre looking game, with some nice graphical effects.

Alexios

Well was I was driving towards was how those games aren't made on consoles mainly because we still can't figure out how to get them to work on a controller. I'm sure if there were a way, they'd be trying to get those games on consoles.

No one doubts though that you could play a fighting game on a PC. It'd feel awkward on a keyboard, but the inputs are all there.
I have no idea what you're trying to argue... But it can't have anything to do with what my posts were getting at though.

All I was saying is there were graphically beautiful and technically impressive games on PC at the launch of the consoles contrary to the argument that PCs were left behind in that department just because certain exclusives like GoW had no PC game equivalent even though there were also PC exclusives with no console equivalent that some seemed to ignore or downplay their achievement.

And I'm sure PS360 hardware could eventually run BF2 fine (just as the PC could have run Gears of War and other games if they weren't made exclusive for a period or forever) if someone tried but nobody did, they only tried BF3, which it can't do fully, but it's basically a gen apart in fidelity. Further marking my point that the fact nobody made it doesn't mean the hardware was left behind or not capable of it when it had other, different cool things to show off, just as the PC wasn't left behind or less capable just because Gears of War and others were made PS360 exclusive when it too had other cool things to show off, like those I mentioned.

As for RTS on consoles, there are plenty, and many of the great PC classics had console ports too. They played worse (just like fighting games would play worse on PC if you didn't have a controller or better yet a stick), but for single player or when everyone in multi player was on even ground it made little difference if that was the type of game one wanted to play, just like FPS games. You might argue that you aren't able to set 104 different unit groups on consoles and what not but you also can't set each weapon to its own key in an FPS like you do on PC, in the end it's mostly shortcuts you can do without and only need when your opponents also have their advantage, which on console they don't. But that's all completely off the topic of my points, just saying.

RedSwirl

And I'm sure PS360 hardware could eventually run BF2 fine (just as the PC could have run Gears of War and other games if they weren't made exclusive for a period or forever) if someone tried but nobody did, they only tried BF3, which it can't do fully, but it's basically a gen apart in fidelity. Further marking my point that the fact nobody made it doesn't mean the hardware was left behind or not capable of it when it had other, different cool things to show off, just as the PC wasn't left behind or less capable just because Gears of War and others were made PS360 exclusive when it too had other cool things to show off, like those I mentioned.

They did try BF2. What we got was Modern Combat.

Alexios

They did try BF2. What we got was Modern Combat.
For some reason I thought that attempt was on the last gen consoles. I'm sure they could do a better job eventually with better know how. I mean, it even has less players than BF3. Fakedit: checking the wiki page it seems it's indeed for previous gen systems as well. Unless the current gen versions weren't ports of the last gen system version, but I'm still sure it could be done better.

And using Beyond as the example, of all games. Yeah, the faces look good - because they skimp everywhere else. Plus no physics or gameplay to speak of. Anyone that played Heavy Rain know's exactly how this one's going to pan out graphically.
Well, to be fair Beyond does have a fully fledged physics system. The lack of AI is probably the biggest saving factor here. However, when we only compare real time rendered cutscenes, Beyond is probably looking better then most pc games released this day.

The comparison of raw power is stupid though. PC will always win there.

Only the quality of the art. Kind of like Halo 4 compared to PC shooters of this year.
It's also a matter of opinion.

The only thing I found interesting about the game's visuals was the flashlight and the use of bump maps. But even then the bump maps were kind of wasted as the game had terrible lighting and you could only see the effect with the flashlight on...

Wiktor

Only the quality of the art. Kind of like Halo 4 compared to PC shooters of this year.

Nope. The art was actually pretty sucky and visually it had one of the worst level designs I've ever seen in FPS (at least when it comes to interiors), but the tech was insane..the scale, the bump mapping. Made the top PC FPSes like Alien vs Predator 2, Tribes 2 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein look vastly inferior in comparision. No PC FPS in 2001 came even remotely close to Halo. For that to happen we need to wait till 2002.

Top Bottom