• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really long levels

The level with the Native American family in Beyond Two Souls was about twice as long as every other level if my memory serves me correctly

Xenogears:

2-emeralda11.jpg

Yep. Quit the game at some point in here and never went back.

The Fade in DA:O - anytime I play through the game that section feels like a freaking eternity.

great answer! let us never forget! :) ...

most recently: yes, the last palace
the cruise ship
in persona 5. both over-long, & painfully dull, period...

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Optional dungeon Abyss from wild arms 3
100 floor of pure pain, and at the end of it, you are welcomed by superboss. Lovely

pksu

Neo Member
Vehicle sections in HL1/HL2. Black Mesa's redesigned On a Rail has much better pacing than the original Valve one IMO.

Giga Man

I couldn't finish de Blob and Yoshi's Island DS because the levels were too long and boring. It sucks for de Blob since I loved the music and overall aesthetic.

Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation is the least fun out of the three campaigns because too many of the levels arbitrarily waste your time. Screw the frozen town and screw the elevator. It's like the game was trying to be a crappy dungeon crawler.

Almost every level in Wonderful 101.

Came here to say this. W101 is a brilliant game, but it's exhausting, especially when it's your first run and you don't know the combo mechanics well enough to output a lot of damage and slash through the encounters quickly (I'm thinking of the rival fights with Vorkken here). I regularly took breaks between missions as several of them were half an hour long, with little to no downtime in the action—and on top of that, the chapters were capped with a multi-phase boss fight that might take about ten minutes on the first attempt.

If you think of the traversal from one save station to the next as a "level", Metroid Prime's segment from the entrance of the Phazon Mines to the Central Dynamo is an absolute marathon—certainly the hardest segment in the whole game for me the first time through, when I didn't know what I was in for and also hadn't collected many power-ups. It's as much of a stamina test as you'll find anywhere in the series besides the NES original, and you can't afford to let the encounters chip away at you faster than you can replenish your health.

Nepenthe

Eggmanland in Sonic Unleashed. Doing a perfect run, it's not that long.

But no one does a perfect run at first. Most first runs I've discussed/seen average about an hour. Mine was about 70 minutes.

Balb

I felt like every level in the second half of Sonic Heroes was way too long. It's not exactly a relevant example in 2017 but that's the first thing that popped in my head :p

muteki

I don't remember this being as bad as promised. I played Xeno for the first time a couple years ago and was expecting to dread this level...but I ended up loving it.

I guess if you can nail the jumps it isn't too bad, but all the backtracking from the falling nearly killed me.

Zaventem

Final level of metal slug 3. It was so fucking worth it being that long. The team put everything in that game because they thought it was the last one they were gonna make.

on youtube no death non speed runs ocme up around 30 - 40 mins.

Thewonandonly

Pretty much every dungeon in Persona 5 is about a third or fourth too long imo. They all drag towards the end.
Now I wouldn't say they all dragged but the one that really dragged was the damn space palace. Still don't understand the puzzles and just started guessing :(

Xenogears:

2-emeralda11.jpg

I don't remember this being as bad as promised. I played Xeno for the first time a couple years ago and was expecting to dread this level...but I ended up loving it.

Yeah, its probably the longest dungeon in the game but its also one of the more frustrating thanks to the freaking platforming areas and high encounter rate. It was annoyingly long the first time through, second time it was ok enough.

My answers, the bosses/optional HNM`s in Final Fantasy XI...

The bosses here took way too long, MMO or not, holy crap. Talking hours for some of these. Not to mention certain ones only spawn once a week... and have a window to spawn as 3-5 days....

Then there was this bastard.

I suggust you look this story up if you have not heard it. This happened a little after I quit the game and was a pretty big (yeah glad I got out when I did moment)

dadjumper

Persona 5 palaces. Slow turn based battle system, and the palaces will take you more than 4 hours to complete a palace even on the easiest difficulty. Battle system is just a Frazier version of pokemon's. Oh and did I mention it isn't a handheld game.

Dunno how people gave this horrible design a pass. At least in Persona 4 the dungeons were short.

I've only played two Palaces of P5 so take this with a grain of salt, but they seem to be about the same length as the dungeons in P4G. Some of those took quite a long time, but have the extra factor of being randomly generated and therefore much less interesting, ft. a less complex battle system. P5 is a big improvement IMO. Also, you sure don't have to finish the dungeons in one day, so it's not like it's a whole 4 hours straight thing.

statham

Enclave, the whole game, way to long between save points. And its a difficult game to boot. I do kinda remember they patched the PC version but not Xbox version. fantastic game besides that tho.

Kid Icarus Uprising, Chapters 13 and 19, especially Chapter 13 on Intensity 9.0 runs with how it's essentially 2 levels by itself and Arlon being able to take out out in no time at all. 19 isn't that bad, still long, but at least the dialogue makes up for it a bit.

And most levels in Sonic 06 outside of Sonic's desert level, each with multiple long load times in between sections and annoying gimmicks like mach speed sections, vehicles, ball puzzles, beat em ups, treasure hunting with no radar, etc.

The
ship
palace in Persona 5 is completely ridiculous. The hook of it isn't very good, which also doesn't help.

great answer! let us never forget! :) ...

most recently: yes, the last palace
the cruise ship
in persona 5. both over-long, & painfully dull, period...

Could be worse, imagine having to
go through the entirety of Mementos at the end of the game if you ignored it until then

Kid Icarus Uprising, Chapters 13 and 19, especially Chapter 13 on Intensity 9.0 runs with how it's essentially 2 levels by itself and Arlon being able to take out out in no time at all. 19 isn't that bad, still long, but at least the dialogue makes up for it a bit.

It's cool how the game itself makes fun of the abnormally long level (The Lightning Chariot):

CEJames

The dungeons in Tales of Berseria are pretty long

Zesteria is worse.

Another to add is the extra dungeon Gladsheim for your 2nd playthrough of Tales of Symphonia 2

-Randomized 10 floors with no map so you can't use a guide
-Save points on only Floor 3 & 6
-Need to leave? Start back over from Floor 1
-And enemies are essentially the strongest in the game so long fights to pad the time even more

Marceles

The Deus dungeon in Xenogears was ridiculous if I remember correctly. I don't think the dungeon would be that long if the battle encounter rate didn't feel so high.

You're conserving fuel while fighting, fight ends, take a step or two and yet another fight starts. And then it's a maze so all the fighting makes you forget where to go. The save point took forever to find, and if you continue the next day you forgot where you were the day before...such a frustrating level.

KingBroly

Banned
Every 3D Sonic until Generations has this problem. Then they went right back to it with Lost World.

I'd rather play 5 9-minute levels than 1 45 minute level, Sonic Unleashed

HiiiLife

The car level in Terminator 2 on Sega when you had to protect John Connor while he was in a pick up truck.

Also never passed that level.

Reset

I've only played two Palaces of P5 so take this with a grain of salt, but they seem to be about the same length as the dungeons in P4G. Some of those took quite a long time, but have the extra factor of being randomly generated and therefore much less interesting, ft. a less complex battle system. P5 is a big improvement IMO. Also, you sure don't have to finish the dungeons in one day, so it's not like it's a whole 4 hours straight thing.

The first Persona 5 dungeon feels as long as an end game Persona 4 dungeon. Yeah Persona 4's dungeon are uglier and randomly generated, but I would take that over spending over four hours in a single dungeon. I don't play the Persona games for the battle system, since it's just a weaker version of Pokemon's. And yeah, you don't need to finish the dungeon in a day, but you're basically punished if you don't since you have less time to max out your social links then.

If there's a Persona 6, they need to cut down the length of the dungeons. It isn't fun.

The only dungeon I've felt drag is the 5th one, but that part of the game is the weakest overall for a number of reasons.

Granted maybe I'll end up saying that about this last one too. Overall I enjoy them though and don't mind their length.

Dez_

Alice: The Madness Returns had some extraordinarily long levels that could have seriously used some trimming down. I think I remember the third level in the game being the biggest offender. You were climbing a mountain I think and the level's look and theme was Japanese oriented, if I remember correctly. That one really felt like a journey, because I remember that level took close to 3 hours to complete.

Top Bottom