• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really long levels

FRS1987

That star wars level in the OP, I remember sucking as a kid and spending hours just to get to the end of the stage to finally make it and to then die miserably to Boba Fett because I sucked. Besides that level I can't think of any that is super long like that one.

mclem

Can I name a really long boss fight instead?

It took me around 20 minutes to defeat Adamantoise in FFXV.

If you do that, then: The final boss in Persona 3. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of other Atlus RPGs are similar in that regard, too, although of those I've played, the last boss of P3 is the longest. I think I was fighting it for something like 40 minutes?

mclem

Can I nominate all the story dungeons in The Elder Scrolls: Arena? I don't mind a big dungeon, but these are insanely overlarge, they outstay their welcome in no time at all.

lxhmhoz.png

That's the first major story dungeon after the tutorial, of eighteen total. And the thing is, much of that isn't *interesting* content, either; there's not enough unique elements for the map to be populated with to make exploration in its own right particularly pleasurable.

Oh, yeah. And some have multiple floors to boot.

If you do that, then: The final boss in Persona 3. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of other Atlus RPGs are similar in that regard, too, although of those I've played, the last boss of P3 is the longest. I think I was fighting it for something like 40 minutes?

Definitely the longest MegaTen fight I know and I've played almost all of them. I guess some stages in Devil Survivor are longer but it's very different.

Back in the ancient day of yore known as 2005, you had to go down this rather plain corridor:

Blackrock-Depths-Portal-Entrance.jpg

To reach this loading screen:

And then kiss your entire afternoon/evening goodbye.

But remember, once you get to the end, DON'T KILL THIS LADY!

For anyone wondering it's the Blackrock Depths instance in Vanilla World of Warcraft.

sawayama castle in Nioh.

It's long, it loops, it all looks the same, it's narrow and filled with huge ass monsters, it's dark it's only corridors and main room are identicals... Its fucking long as shit.

But the boss on top is ace.

The original Grand Theft Auto is one of the worst.

In each level, you need a certain amount of points to advance to the next level. It starts at 1 million, which is already a pretty big task and can take an hour, but most levels require you to get 2-3 million points. The final one requires 5 million points!

There is no saving in the game at all, you have a limited amount of lives. You need to play a near perfect run and it will take you hours. Getting busted is worse than getting wasted, because that makes you lose half your score multiplier and will cost you at least half an hour or more as you only get multipliers for finishing missions.

Carnival Night, Act 2 in Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

That's where dreams went to die, and that's as far as I got when I tried to play that game as a kid. I mean, Marble Gardens would kill me a lot as well, but Act 2 of Carnival Night was the maximum I could get to. And when I played it on the Mega Collection on the GC, it was the only act where I lost a life due to time expiring.

Corridors are the long thin rooms between rooms. I'm not entirely sure they need a whole separate category on the key!

Unrelated mini-rant but looking at that map sorta peevs me, in the good Silent Hill games locations looked like they were mapped from real buildings, but ones like this sanitarium from Origins and Homecoming look like fucking MMO dungeons

Like, why would you build a corridor that juts out to a room with nothing but a gap all around it. why the fuck

latest

shopping_center_01.jpg

(Good maps)

Not that these were necessarily perfect either, but it made you feel like you were crawling a real-life space.

Monocle

They liked it so much, they decided it was a good idea to make you do it again, later, backwards.
Two Betrayals is a great level too, and it plays completely differently with the addition of Banshees and new objectives.

Bungie made the very most out of their limited resources. A stroke of brilliance, really, retooling one of their best levels like that.

Gotham Royal Hotel in Batman: Arkham Origins is probably the longest level in that game. I can't think of any others as long or as massive as it is. It's fun, but it's fucking long.
The Great Maze in Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Subspace Emissary was a pretty long endeavor.
Never again
NEVER
AGAIN
Forbidden Woods in Bloodborne feels significantly longer than any other area in the game except maybe Nightmare of Mensis. Regularly takes me two hours or more per playthrough (I like to kill every enemy and pick up every item), and I love almost every minute of it.
I would say Nightmare of Mensis is actually the longest "level" in BB. Forbidden Woods seems long the first time because it's very easy to get confused and lost. Plus, there's a ton of hidden shit, so wandering around is a given, which helps add to the confusion and sense of loss. Nightmare of Mensis is straightforward, and actually just long. Plus, unless you are super leveled, Micolash is a lengthy fight. Nightmare of Mensis feels like two levels smashed into one. I would say Forbidden Woods matches Nightmare of Mensis' length if you add Byrgenwerth to it. Once you beat the Forbidden Woods once and you know your way around, it becomes much, much shorter on repeat playthroughs.
Darksiders II had a buncha really obnoxiously long dungeons.
City of the Dead and on tend to be lengthy. The only one that actually irritated me was Blackrock.
The dungeons in the first game, especially the last one, are much longer.
Not really. The only dungeon that's really that long in the first game is the Tower, but considering it's the last true dungeon in the game, it's easy to see why.
It's been years since I played Kingdom Hearts, but I remember Hollow Bastion being stupidly long. Or am I misremembering?
It's because you go there twice. The second time is much shorter since you don't have as many boss fights and the puzzles are all solved, so it's just going from bottom to top and fighting a relatively easy, if not time-consuming, boss.
Twilight Town - Kingdom Hearts 2
Doesn't help that it was my first KH game but I really thought the game was all about friends having fun with Final Fantasy Cameos.
I'd count Twilight Town. Each world is basically a level. Let's ignore return visits (since in KH2 you visit each world twice, save for The World the Never Was). Twilight Town begins at the start of the game, and doesn't end until Sora, Donald, and Goofy leave the Mysterious Tower. That's a long fucking level. LONG AS FUCK.
Tower of Latria
Stonefang Tunnel and Boletaria Palace are both longer. I would say Latria is right in the middle. With the shortest levels being Valley of Defilement and Shrine of Storms.

BiggNife

Eggmanland from Sonic Unleashed 360/PS3 is a fucking nightmare

I have no idea why Sonic Team thought a Sonic level that takes like 45 minutes on average was a good idea

Battle for Mount Hyjal in World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade has to be the worst raid or dungeon ever put into the game, consisting entirely of wave based bland but (at the time) highly tuned trash encounters with a few bosses spread throughout. It's quite long but it feels 5 times longer than it is.

My girlfriend is currently playing through Sony's Puppeteer for PS3 (great game, poor sales), and it has really long levels, due to tutorials and long cuteness that aren't stoppable because they occure live in the level around you.

She wanted to stop playing, and I had to rush her character through the level just to ensure that we could save.

Goldeneye: Rogue Agent had horrendously long levels that, if I'm remembering correctly, didn't let you save midway through. It had checkpoints, but if you turned off the game you had to start from the beginning of that entire level. And we're talking about levels that lasted for an hour or two.

God damn Hive of the Mantids in Turok 2never ever ever ends. It takes about an hour before you complete your first objective.

And the London levels in Tomb Raider 3. Good fucking god.

Check me if I'm wrong, but I remember the Time Traveler having the longest scenario in the entirety of The Cave. Barring maybe the final island sequence.

I don't know any specific level names right now, it's been a while, but:

Hotline Miami 2

Some of the later levels feel very long for the type of game it is. Multiple floors filled with miles of glass partitions and so on, fuck.

daveo42

Banned
Xenogears:

2-emeralda11.jpg

The only issue with this was all the platforming. The actual answer is the final dungeon until you find out it was one of the small handful of dungeons that included a map. Solaris didn't have a map afaik, but the dungeon portion drug on for what felt like ages and went through several areas before you finally escaped.

The only issue with this was all the platforming. The actual answer is the final dungeon until you find out it was one of the small handful of dungeons that included a map. Solaris didn't have a map afaik, but the dungeon portion drug on for what felt like ages and went through several areas before you finally escaped.

Never got the hate for Babel Tower in Xengears, you're jumping on a sideways space city and that's cool as FUCK

Kislev Sewers can fuck off and die tho

Lanrutcon

Just spend 3 and half hours in Sniper Elite 4's second DLC map.

Why, Rebellion? why does the map need like 150 dudes in a stealth game?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
The Chrysler building special dungeon in Parasite Eve was just beyond absurd. I couldn't finish it. Most "areas" in the game took about an hour if you were reading all the text and following the story.

The Chrysler building is probably around 10 hours, no text, just randomly generated hallways that all look the same with random chances for encounters. Everything else about the game is fantastic but that is not a fun way to give the players end game content.

daveo42

Banned
Never got the hate for Babel Tower in Xengears, you're jumping on a sideways space city and that's cool as FUCK

Kislev Sewers can fuck off and die tho

It's a real awesome area with some crazy designs and a ton of cool tech. Again, I think it probably boiled down to platforming and a pretty bad encounter rate. Playing it again a few years ago, the sewers were fairly short as long as you knew where you were going. Also one of the areas with a map (thank god).

Not necessarily a single level, but Catherine felt like it had so many fluff levels between the story sections it was a massive slog to get through them all.

Deft Beck

If you consider this a "level", then fucking definitely. Christ, I can't think of any other game where the intro wore my patiece so fucking thin, and I just wanted to start playing proper.

Kingdom Hearts 2's intro is meant to set up the larger universe of the setting and what one of the major villainous forces is willing to do to punish a traitor.

There's a reason why people grew so close to Roxas.

Top Bottom